Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Tinfoil hat: the reason new items are bta (Read 26688 times)
DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: Tinfoil hat: the reason new items are bta
Reply #50 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 1:27pm:
Do you know how much time that would take?

About as long as designing a dozen new multi-layered pointless ship hulls?
Or as long as designing a ginormous spacious hall for heroes that serves no necessary purpose?
Or as long as designing a gigantic mother fracking wilderness area that people only run once.
Hey, I like this game! 
Ooh-ooh, I have another one....
As long as designing say semi-pointless enhancement trees that few can use when others are desperately needed.
There must be more....    Huh

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #51 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:14am
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 12:56pm:
Flav, wouldn't "Combined the 4,011 crafting systems in DDO to one single seamless comprehensible system" look good on a dev resume?

Posting here what I posted ( click to enlarge ) :

sorry for the quality of the last two.
The above 'slides' are what I call a crafting system... What DDO has is a ragtag of unrelated shitty wanabee stepchild of a crafting system...
There's only two that are bit above the pile of shit : Greensteel and Cannith. Sadly they are left to rot.

Shuy wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 3:11pm:
And we all know Update 24 or 25 is Epic Vale.

Say U25... I don't think U24 will be Vale... there's still that tiny issue with Epic Greensteel and Thunderforged.... Turbine doesn't want to obsolete Thunderforged, and Epic Vale without Epic Greensteel is not Vale.... There's been many suggestion on that topic from the PC the make both live together without stepping on each other... right now it's in the hands of Turbine. ( so expect the worst )

DropBear wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 5:19am:
About as long as designing a dozen new multi-layered pointless ship hulls?
Or as long as designing a ginormous spacious hall for heroes that serves no necessary purpose?
Or as long as designing a gigantic mother fracking wilderness area that people only run once.
Hey, I like this game!
Ooh-ooh, I have another one....
As long as designing say semi-pointless enhancement trees that few can use when others are desperately needed.
There must be more....    Huh

Sadly, not the same dev...
Pointless ships and Giganormous areas/Halls require a 3D mapping Dev and a texture artist ( if there's new texture added ).
Pointless system changes needs a system dev. ( and eventually an UI artist to fit the new stuff in the UI )

Refurbishing all the shitty mess that is called Crafting in DDO requires a planner ( not a Project Mangler, a real planner... somebody that can make nice slides like mine taking as base all the ingredients in game ), a database dev, and several scripting devs... the system dev might be used as a scripting dev... but we all know there's no database expert at Turbine...

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:14am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #52 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:41am
Print Post  
EE Tomb of the Tormented!

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #53 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:44am
Print Post  
And you cant damage enemy rats in any way, fuck yea, 64k  hp rats, your rat does 20 dmg. Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:44am by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #54 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 7:14am:
Posting here what I posted ( click to enlarge ) :
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/11/71/69/26/th/skill_10.jpg
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/11/71/69/26/th/skill_11.jpg
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/11/71/69/26/th/skill_12.jpg
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/11/71/69/26/th/skill_13.jpg

sorry for the quality of the last two.
The above 'slides' are what I call a crafting system... What DDO has is a ragtag of unrelated shitty wanabee stepchild of a crafting system...
There's only two that are bit above the pile of shit : Greensteel and Cannith. Sadly they are left to rot.

Say U25... I don't think U24 will be Vale... there's still that tiny issue with Epic Greensteel and Thunderforged.... Turbine doesn't want to obsolete Thunderforged, and Epic Vale without Epic Greensteel is not Vale.... There's been many suggestion on that topic from the PC the make both live together without stepping on each other... right now it's in the hands of Turbine. ( so expect the worst )

Sadly, not the same dev...
Pointless ships and Giganormous areas/Halls require a 3D mapping Dev and a texture artist ( if there's new texture added ).
Pointless system changes needs a system dev. ( and eventually an UI artist to fit the new stuff in the UI )

Refurbishing all the shitty mess that is called Crafting in DDO requires a planner ( not a Project Mangler, a real planner... somebody that can make nice slides like mine taking as base all the ingredients in game ), a database dev, and several scripting devs... the system dev might be used as a scripting dev... but we all know there's no database expert at Turbine...

Just spitballing here, but what if your weapon crafting worked this way:

The base item is created with shroud crafting.  GS Blank.  Apply Mats to make it up to shroud T3.

Then MA doesn't drop blank alchems.  LoB/MA drop mats that take a T3 GS as the base item.  And enhance it from there.

Then Thunderholme doesn't craft base items.  it takes a T3 Alchem item as a base item.  And enhances it from there.

Then Epic Vale/Shroud takes a tier 3 Thunderholme weapon as it's base item and enhances it from there.

What would be the downside to a progression based crafting system like that?

Do the same with armor starting with Dragontouched Armor from Reaver's Reach.  Then using those as input for the Epic GH dragon Armors.   Then Going to Thunderholme armor on top of that. 

A power progression that grows.  Old stuff isn't really invalidated.  It's just enhanced.  But if you need to do a new item, you still have to run the progression.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #55 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:37am:

Couldn't ever read your weapon tooltip.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #56 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:53am:

Lol.  Probably Not.  It would get pretty involved. 

Would be interesting as well if other epic items had progressions.  What if the Epic Red Dragon Helm from E-Von6 could be upgraded in eGH.  Combining it with White or Black or Blue scales (or all 3) plus some CoH would yield 4 different resulting helms with different abilities and move the ML to 25.  Same with the Red Dragon Armor from eVon and MoTU and the Green Armor.  Could create some value multiple packs as well as some unique loot combinations to support a larger variety of builds.  I just think that a unified system where items grow vs. getting replaced might be a better path. 

And simplifying the ingredients involved.  Why can't Commendations (Villager,Druid,Cleric,PDK, etc) be converted to CoV and vice versa (With some loss/inefficency) and be converted into CoH and vice versa (Again with some inefficiency).  And work in Tokens of the twelve.  So it's not a bunch of separate things, but unified.  (If you really needed to go the route of having all this different stuff in the first place). 

To me, it makes sense to fix the lack of cohesiveness and the duping in one step.  Make it work like money.  It seems like CoV are the least valuable, then Commendations, then Tokens, then heart seeds, then CoH.  So treat them like copper, silver, gold and plat.  Don't even store them in bags.  Just add them to your count in inventory when you get them in a chest and use them when you do something.  Let them auto-convert as needed.   10 CoV = 1 Patron Commendation.  10 Patron Commendations = 1 Heart Seed.  10 Heart Seeds = 1 CoH. 

Convert Tokens of the 12 in at the rate of 1 Token Fragment = 1 Cov.  1 Token = 1 Heart Seed.  1 Greater Token = 5 Heart Seeds.   

Keep your costs in line on the sale side.  1 Epic Heart or Iconic Heart = 4 CoH/4000 CoV (or token fragments.  aka 40 Tokens).  1 TR Heart = 2 CoH/2000 CoV (aka 20 Tokens).

Would allow you to grind your hearts in Eberron or in Faerun.  With equal valuation. 

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #57 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
You do realize implementing that would make all raids unplayable for a month and sagas would get broken.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #58 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
They cant even  put in simple exchange 1000 ing for something else.
Or in crafting, I put in 1k greater essences, I have to put up a macro to make lesser ones because I would go crazy clicking that many times.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #59 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:37am:
Just spitballing here, but what if your weapon crafting worked this way:

The base item is created with shroud crafting.  GS Blank.  Apply Mats to make it up to shroud T3.

Then MA doesn't drop blank alchems.  LoB/MA drop mats that take a T3 GS as the base item.  And enhance it from there.

Then Thunderholme doesn't craft base items.  it takes a T3 Alchem item as a base item.  And enhances it from there.

Then Epic Vale/Shroud takes a tier 3 Thunderholme weapon as it's base item and enhances it from there.

Do the same with armor starting with Dragontouched Armor from Reaver's Reach.  Then using those as input for the Epic GH dragon Armors.   Then Going to Thunderholme armor on top of that. 

A power progression that grows.  Old stuff isn't really invalidated.  It's just enhanced.  But if you need to do a new item, you still have to run the progression. 

I agree that it would be nice... And that's somewhat similar to what I had in mind ( and some other PC members ) before the rug was pulled under us with Thunderforged adding yet another separate system to the mix. But you forgot all the shitty things like Nearly Finished, Madness, ...

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #60 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 1:09pm:
I agree that it would be nice... And that's somewhat similar to what I had in mind ( and some other PC members ) before the rug was pulled under us with Thunderforged adding yet another separate system to the mix. But you forgot all the shitty things like Nearly Finished, Madness, ...

Fuck you mournlands saw it long before the fucking council and most of the changes they were willing to make was in that time.

If it ain't got harpys you pileons havent touched it.

Nor are they ever gonna give a shit about system consolidation. 

When does this councils term end?  I

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #61 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Say U25... I don't think U24 will be Vale... there's still that tiny issue with Epic Greensteel and Thunderforged.... Turbine doesn't want to obsolete Thunderforged, and Epic Vale without Epic Greensteel is not Vale....

I think that epic orchard without epic tome and shield turn-ins is not epic orchard; when has that sort of thing ever stopped them?

Although, considering how crappy the epic orchard helms are, I'm not sure that I would have cared about the epic weapons and shields.

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #62 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:23pm
Print Post  

Greensteel Augments.  This problem has already been solved for you.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #63 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:23pm:

The solution for Greensteel stuff is simple: have certain enchantment slots on an epic greensteel item, and those slots can be imbued with shards made from other named epic items (the ML 20 ones), combining the effects of two or more ML 20 epic gear into one.

It would require imagination and skills to put into the game, though. So... probably not. Epic greensteel is probably just going to be ML 30 gear with some weird combination of ML 12 effects.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Cleridin
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #64 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:53am:

This

IP Logged

MurderHobo1
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
This entire release was pretty lame. They just regurgitated the same old content and added in 'some' of the old items as epic versions. The raid is beatable in 5 minutes and as far as I saw in 25 runs, two items dropped for the party.
The sheild and tome pieces don't drop on epic? Really? Oh, but I might get a normal Tap piece...
The only work that went into this was probably a 20 minute meeting where the designers came up with epic versions of a handful of items. They cranked difficulty and then they made those chosen items BtA, which doesn't support their trade system of Astral shards or make sense when lowbie items that would be useful between toons on one's account are BtCoE but now most of the most powerful items in game can be shared between your good toons and gimp ones...
Ya, that sounds like a challenging game where you earn things.
There are plenty of ways to cheat in this game. We didn't need them to install easy buttons too. This should not be encouraged or asked for.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #66 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:23pm:

That has been mentioned...

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #67 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Everything has been mentioned, you know why?
Because its fucking common sense.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #68 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:46am:
Because its fucking common sense.

Common sense is a misnomer.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #69 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:49am:
Common sense is a misnomer.

Want to fuck? Cheesy

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:59am
Print Post  
The problem with vale->MA/LoB->ToDW/FoTP->epic vale crafting would be that epic vale is useless unless you also have 2 other packs. Yeah epic vale is part of vale so you still got the base item, but currently if you start with DDO and don't want to be ViP you have complete freedom which packs you buy and which to delay to another time when you have money again to spend on the game.
This kind of crafting system would force you to buy the packs one after the other in the right order and probably heroic TR several times before you are able to buy all the packs to get the first epic item of the end of this crafting chain.

Yeah, it would be nice from the perspective of someone who is already playing for 2years+ and owns all packs anyways (or is a VIP). But it doesn't fit to the core F2P game design of ddo, that you can buy the packs you want and most packs don't require other packs to work.

And if Turbine should really one time consider this kind of crafting chain... I bet no one in the vault will be happy with the result that very likely involves a new level of grind to finish an item...

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #71 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:50am:

You know the biggest sex organ?

My physics teacher used to tell the class "use your geniknöl" (geniknöl = bump of genius), usually referring to use your common sense.

So.. what if you're a whale? (the animal)

Edit: suddenly realising that I read that the sperm whale has the biggest brain on the planet.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2014 at 6:04am by Angry »  

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #72 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Why is Thaz discussing sex in the middle of a crafting system discussion?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #73 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Because she needs a dick desperately.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #74 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:59am:
The problem with vale->MA/LoB->ToDW/FoTP->epic vale crafting would be that epic vale is useless unless you also have 2 other packs. Yeah epic vale is part of vale so you still got the base item, but currently if you start with DDO and don't want to be ViP you have complete freedom which packs you buy and which to delay to another time when you have money again to spend on the game.
This kind of crafting system would force you to buy the packs one after the other in the right order and probably heroic TR several times before you are able to buy all the packs to get the first epic item of the end of this crafting chain.

Yeah, it would be nice from the perspective of someone who is already playing for 2years+ and owns all packs anyways (or is a VIP). But it doesn't fit to the core F2P game design of ddo, that you can buy the packs you want and most packs don't require other packs to work.

And if Turbine should really one time consider this kind of crafting chain... I bet no one in the vault will be happy with the result that very likely involves a new level of grind to finish an item...

So your argument against it would be that: in order to have the best weapons in the game you would have to own 3 adventure packs or be VIP.  And that is too burdensome for someone who wants to play an MMO to level cap?  I'm not sure that I really care about the best weapons at level cap needing to be accessible to someone who doesn't want to spend more than 15 dollars worth of TP to play.  I'm OK with that player running around with substandard weapons.  We aren't talking about needing to invest more than 30 bucks.  That's half the price of a typical new release console game.  And that's assuming you don't grind out some of your TP or trade some loot for some TP.  All of which is possible.

Can we dispense with the notion that the best loot in the game has to be accessible to the lowest common denominator? 

As for grind, I get that everybody wants to have the best loot NOW and that the last two major releases gave the best quickly.  eGH saw everyone running around in dragon armor the first weekend due to poor drop rate design by Turbine.  Thunderholme gave everyone easy items (Due more to duping than design by Turbine).  But then everyone quickly bitches that there is nothing to do and that all the noobs have the cool stuff too.  Can't have it both ways.  There is a balance to be struck from boredom because it's too easy and frustration because it takes too long.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint