Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Flavor Builds!! (Read 5783 times)
naarwen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Flavor Builds!!
Oct 10th, 2014 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Well, guys, I will admit I am kind of a lurker here for along time. Posted very few times.

Well, I'm 32 years old and I remember AND enjoyed table D&D and AD&D, my weekends as a teen were basically rusumed to D&D, Gurps and Shadowrun, well, to the point...

Is this game really not flavour build friendly? what the best and whats the worst? and Im not a purist in like, "A perfect flavour build has to be pure class, no mix".

And last but not least, having flavour builds that suck so bad, isnt it bad for the game? doesn't it kinda push some players away? what yall think?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Flavor Builds!!
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 1:54am
Print Post  
My flavour builds are all pretty awesome so I don't see the issue.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 3:44am
Print Post  
naarwen wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 1:32am:
Is this game really not flavour build friendly?

I think you're confusing the game with the players. Among the community, ppl tend to favor high dps toons (or possibly cc), so, if your flavor build can't keep up, you'll be considered a waste of a party slot. If you're a flower sniffer who just wants to run around wildernesses, I don't think it really matters what kind of build you play.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 3:56am
Print Post  
naarwen wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 1:32am:
Well, guys, I will admit I am kind of a lurker here for along time. Posted very few times.

Well, I'm 32 years old and I remember AND enjoyed table D&D and AD&D, my weekends as a teen were basically rusumed to D&D, Gurps and Shadowrun, well, to the point...

Is this game really not flavour build friendly? what the best and whats the worst? and Im not a purist in like, "A perfect flavour build has to be pure class, no mix".

And last but not least, having flavour builds that suck so bad, isnt it bad for the game? doesn't it kinda push some players away? what yall think?

The game in itself is flavor build friendly... as long as you don't expect to play Epic Elite quests.
There's many ways to have a character that can perform decently in the game... and yes that include flavor builds.

Now with all the possibilities offered by character creation and progression, you can gimp beyond recovery ( except via LR/TR ) any kind of character...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 4:56am
Print Post  
It depends a bit on what and how much „flavor“ you are looking for.” Pacifist dragon marked halfling clerics that will only heal “or “elven maidens that will only sing a bard’s song and dance around” may have a hard time in non-roleplaying groups or soloing dungeons.

But apart from that kind of toon most things can be built to work in epic hard and everything “below”. Like a greatclub wielding drow barbarian, hammer tossing halflings, axing dwarven artificer, ninja builds with shuricans and whirling blades, all kind of rogish builds like stealthy mage, trapping crossbow bard, or sneak attacking wolf druid. And any race can be built to use  any specialization of magic, as long as you took some all-around spells with you, like haste, blur, firewall, the DOTs’s, otto’s irresistible dance and some others.  Even if you dump the main stat on a spellcaster for melee options or whatnot you can still use a lot of spells without DC’s and hardly anyone will complain (as long as you stay out from the “bring your A-game” kind of groups.

Just follow 3 simple rules:
•      Ad something useful to a group to make up for the dungeon scaling you cause, like being able to kill stuff somehow or crowd control
•      Have some reliable way to get your hitpoints back when you got hit
•      At least a medium investment in hitpoints, most players cringe when they see very low HP toons.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 5:34am
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 4:56am:
... Pacifist dragon marked halfling clerics that will only heal ... may have a hard time in non-roleplaying groups or soloing dungeons.

Just follow 3 simple rules:
•      Ad something useful to a group to make up for the dungeon scaling you cause, like being able to kill stuff somehow or crowd control
•      Have some reliable way to get your hitpoints back when you got hit
•      At least a medium investment in hitpoints, most players cringe when they see very low HP toons.

This kind of a healbot is working as long as you are fine with looking for a group/playing with your guild instead of soloing dungeons. Or only solo on epic normal. For heroics... you probably have to try which difficutly setting you are able to solo, but if you are fine with opening lfms you should be able to find at least 1-2 other players to help you. You just have to deal with the 'problem' that you are getting noobs or flower sniffers.

Many endgame and pro gamers won't like you(because you don't speed up the quest) but there are still players around who are able to value the benefit of a good healer in a group. Not everyone has build for selfheal or plays good enough to have an easy time with a selfhealing build.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Here is a question that OP should also consider:

"Is there a server that is more welcoming to flavor builds?"

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Yea, its called wayfinder.
Only 2 people there, so at least 1/3 of the server will like your builds.

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Flavor builds can work.  Some do not, like an INT based sorc (for the Spell Power boost) or a CON based Ranger (if some HP is good, more is better?).  If you keep the build focused there is nothing you cannot do.

I had a friend that would recreate Forgotten realms people from novels.  He made a Drizst Do'Orden (sp), Wolfgar, Buenar(sp) and a Catibree(sp).  They were okay and could survive most content.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2014 at 8:14am by Red Sox H8 Yankees »  

The grass is always greener on the other side of the razor wire fence.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Red Sox H8 Yankees wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 8:11am:
He made a Drizst Do'Orden (sp),

And that flavor was bland.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Half my toons are flavor builds, they still hold up fine.  You're not as powerful as the FoTM but you're about 90% there.

It's a game of inches.

IP Logged

WelloveLLamas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 7:55am:
Yea, its called wayfinder.
Only 2 people there, so at least 1/3 of the server will like your builds.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 8:24am:
And that flavor was bland.

It was right out of the books.  Barb, Ranger, Fighter.  On paper it was meh, but to play along side, not terrible.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the razor wire fence.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Red Sox H8 Yankees wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:56am:
It was right out of the books.  Barb, Ranger, Fighter.  On paper it was meh, but to play along side, not terrible.

Wasn't it difficult to pick out which Drizz't was your friend? Half of all toons rolled in all RPG games are Drizz't. With a good few sprinkled out among the rest of the video game world.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:23am
Print Post  
I have two sets of characters; my "mains" and my "flavor builds." Every now and again, something crosses over from flavor to main, because it just happened to work out.

For example, I wanted to build the perfect staff monk, so I rolled up a bladeforged 12 monk/5 rogue/3 FVS. Sounds awful, right? Well, its DPS is 2nd only to my monkcher, trap skills are good for EH, and the self-heals haven't run out so far. The clerics aren't wild about it when I tank, b/c my heal amp is nothing to write home about, but it's never been an issue, and I haven't been tanking much since Palis got supercharged, anyway.

Then there are the ones that just got stuck: 14 bard/4 arti/2 rogue (throwing swash w/ runearm) did not work out as well as I had hoped; 9 druid/9 monk/2 fighter worked just fine, but it was boring; 13 cleric/6 paladin/1 fighter was looking good, but then the Pali changes meant that I really only need 3 levels in it, and I had just TR'd; 8 fighter/6 ranger/6 monk centered khopesh user had just gotten to 20 when they changed the feat requirements for OC, so I need to TR that char yet again (8 fighter/6 paladin/6 monk?).

My mains are typically more conventional: Unarmed monk (fighter/ranger splash, atm, but may go back to pure next life), monkcher (12 monk/6 ranger/2 fighter), staff monk (above), and a pure paladin.

I'm trying to build a light tank, right now, but evasion, DPS and *RR are really hard to put together.

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:23am:
I'm trying to build a light tank, right now, but evasion, DPS and *RR are really hard to put together.

I dumped evasion on my fighter when he TR'd pally, I do not miss it at all.  70s saves and 100 MRR while TWFing is more than good enough.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Flavor build does not have to mean hopeless character.  It can, but really shouldn't as it will significantly impact your enjoyment of the game.]

Even my fighter wizard thief elf does fine now that I have epic destiny's to heal myself lol.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I think the game is balanced for 1/4 flavour characters.
It's probably stupid to just randomly choose stats, skills and feats but if you mean flavour = race, weapon type, spell specialization, some level splash for just RP/lore reasons, anything can work.
You just have to try harder / play better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint