Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Temple of Elemental Evil to come to DDO (Read 34574 times)
Selee
Abbot Raider

Temple of Elemental Evil to come to DDO
Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451552-A-sneak-peek-at-Update-24%E2%80...

Future plans and Update 25

So what kind of cool things led to the detour away from Anauroch? One of them will be coming in Update 25. Since The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar was received so well, we’ve decided to adapt another classic pen-and-paper module to DDO. Rather than blabbing on, I’ll skip right to the awesome part and give you five simple words:

The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Yep, we will be creating our own version of the original, classic Temple inside DDO. We’re very excited about adapting one of the most famous modules in Dungeons and Dragons history, and we hope you are too.

Oh Update 24 is coming too, with a new epic sequel to the Xoriat chain, but to me this is the big news.

I hope they get it right..

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Temple of Elemental Evil to come to DDO
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Selee wrote on Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:05pm:
Since The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar was so much easier to make than a full wilderness with multiple quest and raids

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Fuck desert, if they make temple properly it could be extremely fun.

But im kinda worried they will mess it up /:

Idea is great, but how they will do it in ddo.
Who knows

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:09pm:
Fuck desert, if they make temple properly it could be extremely fun.

But im kinda worried they will mess it up /:

Idea is great, but how they will do it in ddo.
Who knows

Desert is on indefinite hold.

Full post:

Senior Developer

Knockback's Avatar Join Date
Jun 2009
Default A sneak peek at Update 24’s dungeons … and beyond
Content designer Knockback here. I’ve worked on dungeons such as “Eyes of Stone,” “The Snitch,” “A Study In Sable” and the Thunderholme adventure area, and I’m here to update you folks on some of the things we’re currently building for DDO.

Upcoming dungeons in Update 24

Update 24 will be previewed on Lamannia starting this weekend, so now seems like a good time to unveil its dungeons. Get ready for some surprises!

First up in Update 24 is a new content pack, Heart of Madness. The plane of Xoriat is encroaching on Eberron once again and the result is three dungeons full of Xorian insanity. Both the Lord of Eyes and the Lord of Stone are back, as well as some other fan favorite characters. (Hint – one of the dungeons is named “Fashion Madness.”) The centerpiece of the pack is “Terminal Delirium,” the follow-up to two of our most popular dungeons. Once again you’ll be returning to the Sleeping Spell Inn, and once again you’ll be seeing—and be turned into—some very unusual things. Heart of Madness is CR 18 Heroic/26 Epic, and is a paid pack (450 Turbine Points; free to VIPs of course.)

Also coming in Update 24 is a Forgotten Realms dungeon themed to tie in with Wizards of the Coast’s Tyranny of Dragons storyline. You’ll infiltrate a Cult of the Dragon base while on the trail of the fabled White Dragon mask. “The Mask of Deception” is CR 16 Heroic/30 Epic, and is free to everyone.

Hey, what happened to Anauroch?

Earlier we had mentioned Anauroch as one of the places we wanted to go in 2014. Obviously that’s not happening.

Why the change? It’s tempting to blame it all on Xorian madness, but the truth is we’ve been listening to what excites you guys when it comes to D&D settings. We may still make it to Anauroch eventually, but don’t expect it any time soon. It’s a long, long walk from Cormyr. Instead of the blazing hot desert, we’re going someplace cooler instead.

Future plans and Update 25

So what kind of cool things led to the detour away from Anauroch? One of them will be coming in Update 25. Since The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar was received so well, we’ve decided to adapt another classic pen-and-paper module to DDO. Rather than blabbing on, I’ll skip right to the awesome part and give you five simple words:

The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Yep, we will be creating our own version of the original, classic Temple inside DDO. We’re very excited about adapting one of the most famous modules in Dungeons and Dragons history, and we hope you are too.

In the meantime, though, we have a date with insanity. Hope to see everyone this weekend on Lamannia for a preview of Update 24!

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Anauroch

....and this goes for The Temple of Elemental Evil as well

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Was haunted halls actually done well? or was it more same old same old?
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:39pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:38pm:

It had a lot of exploration, some neat side alleys, and a lot of good atmosphere.  I enjoyed it.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:59pm
Print Post  

Having done he original in PnP, I thought the Devs did a good job with it.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Kalasnikitty
Korthos Resident

And your mama to

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Anything new is good

You gotta fight for your right to party!

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  

It's a fantastic quest.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:49pm
Print Post  

The only main drawback to Haunted Halls is that the optionals only offer additional XP instead of rare items. Since the quest can be completed in 10 minutes, it's faster and easier to just repeat the quest a couple times for XP and loot than detour through the optional XP.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  

Nice xp, lots and lots of chests, with some of best named items in game. Can be fast 15 min quest to hours of fun. I prefer the 15 min loot running myself.

IP Logged

Zandos
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 8:08pm
Print Post  

I already played that game.
I'd like new content to be actually new.

But about the u24 part of the announcement, I must say I like idea of Xoriat, I always found those quests interesting.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 12:09am
Print Post  

I thought it sucked. I ran to the end as fast as possible to get the loots. All the extra optionals that did not include loot or generous XP awards, I completely skipped. I think oly old people who played the original PnP module, or who love the narrator guy they got to do it (for some inexplicable reason) really enjoyed it.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 1:50am
Print Post  
I'd say haunted halls was done well. If you enjoy it or not depends on which kind of player you are. But there are many traps, hidden doors and many optionals so that you can spend plenty of time exploring. On the other hand if you prefer to zerg it's possible to zerg to the endfights (+ optional endfights) which have a chance to drop named items.
But yeah... it's a bit sad that the other optionals are not dropping named items, not sure about the xp they offered, but others already said they don't give enough xp.
Although I always had the feeling that 3 of the main fights are using the same strategy with a random group. Someone is kiting the trashmobs while the rest of the group tries to kill the boss. But yeah... I wouldn't expect much more from Turbine.

My only concern is, that you need either bells of opening, a trapper or a very good search skill for the really fast route to the endfights. Although in general I like this direction so that more players see the advantage of having a rogue or rogue split in party. But that makes it definitely not that solo friendly.

And I would say the mechanic to be able to run the extended version is annoying. You can farm the extended version thousands of times if someone in party is able to open it, but as soon as this partymember leaves you have to run the basic version to flag for the extended one.
I think that should be handled like unlocking normal,hard,elite difficulty.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 2:14am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Nov 12th, 2014 at 12:09am:
I thought it sucked.

Fucking how?

Quote:
I ran to the end as fast as possible to get the loots. All the extra optionals that did not include loot or generous XP awards, I completely skipped.

Oh okay, I get it.

Haunted Halls was great, if ToEE turns out the same I'd be glad. If DDO had more quests like this (at all level ranges) I really don't believe it would be in the state it's in now.

IP Logged

Rage
Waterworks Kobold

I Love boobies

Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 3:01am
Print Post  
They had a lot of success with haunted halls, considering also how some times sell a lot in the asah. I don't mind classic adventures being brought to life, it's actually nice.

I wonder if our end game will end up to be that impossible to beat dungeon, Crypt of Horrors or whatever it was called. Heck, I can't help but wonder if they would make a pack centered around the Castle Ravenloft adventure if they go that route.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 3:13am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Nov 12th, 2014 at 12:09am:
I thought it sucked. I ran to the end as fast as possible to get the loots. All the extra optionals that did not include loot or generous XP awards, I completely skipped. I think oly old people who played the original PnP module, or who love the narrator guy they got to do it (for some inexplicable reason) really enjoyed it.

I disagree with you on this one Rest, but I also think this is what made the HH pretty good content.  Some of it is a bitch, even with a rogue hire, but by and large it was good fun and a breath of fresh air since MOTU (which I also liked).

If you don't care for FR or the adventure, there was the quick option just to get loot.
If you love FR, HH and Ed Greenwood's involvement then you can stop the smell the roses.  Do the full version, listen to the commentary - all added depth and replayability.

There are times when I just wanted a few quick runs and could do it.  Other times, I wanted to explore every nook and cranny just for fun.  Find new ways to ambush the kobolds on those nasty ballistas.  See how many Zombies you can heard into a blade barrier or ENergy Burst. Even though it is linear, there just seems so many ways to play it.  I like that it has flexibility and optional content for those wanting to do it.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems some of the most popular content in recent times.

I think Ed's vision might be needed in the Turdbine dev team, who are devoid of any decent creativity.  Rest, there is no need to diss Ed.   Sad
Ed is a legend in the DnD community and a great/funny guy to boot.  Not everyone likes FR material, but his creativity is limitless. 

I'm glad they're doing TOEE - it won't be the same as the module, but I just hope they get it right.  This is something I look forward to (dare I hope).
Time to buff those Banishment DC's!   Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2014 at 3:21am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Vic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 3:25am
Print Post  
I love Haunted Halls. Only thing that I would change would be giving some more incentive (I,E, reward) for doing optionals. Aside from that, finely crafted dungeeon,

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Vic wrote on Nov 12th, 2014 at 3:25am:
I love Haunted Halls. Only thing that I would change would be giving some more incentive (I,E, reward) for doing optionals. Aside from that, finely crafted dungeeon,

Ditto.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Told you it was going to be new content for both U24 and U 25...  Roll Eyes

Now the Xoriat thingie is a nice surprise ( we weren't told what the content was going to be ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 4:38am
Print Post  
I jizzed my pants when I saw they're doing ToEE.

IP Logged

DropBear

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #22 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 12th, 2014 at 4:34am:

Now the Xoriat thingie is a nice surprise ( we weren't told what the content was going to be ).

The Xoriat content is mixed.  Some of it is off-the-wall funny, and some of it is just lame.
Happy to wait and see though.

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #23 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 12th, 2014 at 4:34am:

Do you ever get tired of listening to yourself?

IP Logged

BAMBIBEER
Dragon Raider

Stink puss

Reply #24 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 7:53am
Print Post  
The monkeys in the back room at DDOOH! may be on to something . At best they found the good old stuff that was made that was some fun on PnP . Only thing is how is DDOOOH going to fuck it up . The monkeys have some great power in there paws but this is DDO so. Loveded  TOEE in the days of PnP. Now to see if the monkeys sling shit or write a good novel .
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2014 at 8:23am by BAMBIBEER »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint