Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The more things change the more they stay the same (Read 5299 times)
KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

The more things change the more they stay the same
Nov 18th, 2014 at 6:30am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451869-Dearest-Devz?p=5477074&viewfull...

Looks like the developers are on the hunt for more major systems to implement half way then abandon in a worse state than they started. Why finish unfucking hireling AI or ranged power or any number of other systems they have fucked en they can break something new?

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Re: The more things change the more they stay the same
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 7:31am
Print Post  
IMHO, it looks like Turbine has a big pool of resources for systems changes and very few working with content.

If they had put more focus on producing lots of nice content during the years, instead of constantly changing the systems and re-writing stuff, I think the gamle population would be much larger today as not so many would have gotten bored running the same quests over and over throught endless numbers of TRs.

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 8:02am
Print Post  
^ Every mmo dies, some just take longer than others. Ddo does have repetition but what mmo doesnt

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I thought DDO was all about incomplete systems.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Have the fuckwits at Turbine ever finished or stuck with a system? I'm having trouble thinking of a single one.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Turd_Ferguson wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 10:59am:
Have the fuckwits at Turbine ever finished or stuck with a system? I'm having trouble thinking of a single one.

Depends on what qualifies. For instance, they have consistently fucked up handwraps/unarmed fighting.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
KilgoreTrout wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 6:30am:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451869-Dearest-Devz?p=5477074&viewfull...

Looks like the developers are on the hunt for more major systems to implement half way then abandon in a worse state than they started. Why finish unfucking hireling AI or ranged power or any number of other systems they have fucked en they can break something new?

Because DDO is now a testing ground for other games and a proving ground for newbie programmers. I refuse to call any DDO programmer a developer since development implies improvement.

Felgor wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 3:45am:
DDO died a long time ago, we just all have trouble admitting it.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 1:11pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

MurderHobo1
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
As it is in most game studios; you have the devs and then outside the studio with a complete disconnect from reality you have the guys who run things and control the money (WB in this case). These are the assholes that say we want that new update for blahblah, but in two months (5 month job) and you get X $$ when it really cost Y, also it takes at least 20 people but there are only 5 left...  see where problems start to pop up?

Then shit gets slapped together in a rush so they don't lose their job... in this case we're talking about Turbine (which already plays against these devs when they try to get a job at a good studio, they cannot afford to get fired from the B team game company if this is to be their career) So, unused content gets swept under the rug... eventually they may use those assets to cut corners on another project but that is why in modern days, every game is a bag of problems on release... (not just Turbine) When was the last time anyone has seen a game shipped that didn't need patches to fix shit almost immediately and then 10 more over the course of the first month?

Now, an MMO is a 'new' release every single time an update, patch or expansion comes out. SO NOW, all that 'not enough $$, time and staff' has to compete with any sort of new releases and fix the stuff they didn't finish from before which ends up breaking the game. If the fat cats above gave the proper funding, time and upped the number of necessary staff instead of releasing them to cut yet more money corners... but instead they will do something awesome like come out with another game to further split their resources on....

That's your answer

IP Logged

toaf
Waterworks Kobold

fuck you Jerrry

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 12:15am
Print Post  
it does seem to be a issue with all games,  game companies just dont give a fuck, some spend as much as 400,000,000.00 for a big pile of turd. but my guess is the first ones (first developers) put so much time into the game that is the only reason its still going now. even with all the interns and Jerry the fucktard working at tirdbine now.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
see where problems start to pop up?

No Maj, I don't see the problem.

Or rather, I see a shit-shuffle. You want us to blame someone else. We can blame someone else, whoopee. But if you see the problem as insolvable, you have joined whoever it is you want us to shift the blame to. Willingly, unwillingly, it just doesn't matter.

And it doesn't make it invalid to point out that repetitive introduce-and-abandon-before-complete is not a sustainable development model. It is not a model for happy customers. It does describe predatory business practices.

Explain all you want. But after all that explanation, nothing changes.

We still absolutely have the right to call for changes. If you can't make 'em happen, shut the fuck up. Maybe you're in the way of someone who can.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As it is in most game studios; you have the devs and then outside the studio with a complete disconnect from reality you have the guys who run things and control the money (WB in this case). These are the assholes that say we want that new update for blahblah, but in two months (5 month job) and you get X $$ when it really cost Y, also it takes at least 20 people but there are only 5 left...  see where problems start to pop up?

Then shit gets slapped together in a rush so they don't lose their job... in this case we're talking about Turbine (which already plays against these devs when they try to get a job at a good studio, they cannot afford to get fired from the B team game company if this is to be their career) So, unused content gets swept under the rug... eventually they may use those assets to cut corners on another project but that is why in modern days, every game is a bag of problems on release... (not just Turbine) When was the last time anyone has seen a game shipped that didn't need patches to fix shit almost immediately and then 10 more over the course of the first month?

Now, an MMO is a 'new' release every single time an update, patch or expansion comes out. SO NOW, all that 'not enough $$, time and staff' has to compete with any sort of new releases and fix the stuff they didn't finish from before which ends up breaking the game. If the fat cats above gave the proper funding, time and upped the number of necessary staff instead of releasing them to cut yet more money corners... but instead they will do something awesome like come out with another game to further split their resources on....

That's your answer

This one gets rolled out frequently by game developers to justify the half complete, partially tested crap they deliver.

The above situation is not unique to MMO's or game development in general.
Construction projects, Resource projects all suffer from abbreviated timelines and under-budgeting because the accountants think saving a couple of bucks up front is best (ironically it is often their KPI, to the detriment of the business).

Most projects could use more budget and more time.  The trade off of risk vs reward is a balancing act, and sometimes decision makers get it wrong.  I don't know how sophisticated the modelling and analytics are around game development.  It might be that they do consistently get underfunded, or conversely it might be that the industry doesn't have enough good projects managers to adapt to changing scope, limited budgets or tight milestones.
I haven't seen enough case studies on the industry to know the drivers of success in that sector.

It's not is common to the entertainment industry - we don't see movies released half finished with the promise that it will be fixed in the Director's cut to be released next year.

And it is not endemic to software development in general.  I know that other software developers in finance, medical etc can't use the same excuses as game development.  You cannot get away with responding to client complaints with shrugging your shoulders and saying "tough shit".
Turdbine says, "but our code base is a spaghetti mess".  So what?  Ever looked under the skirt of other software - DDO is not Robinson Crusoe in the software world.  But why fix it, when you can just complain about it?  There is no appetite in Turdbine to fix it when they can continue to use it as an excuse.

To the best of my knowledge this behaviour is particular to electronic games development.  Why is that?
I believe it is partly due to culture - but it is not work ethic.  It is the culture of management.
I believe the difference lies in the demographic of game software customers.  In gaming, the developers do not fear their customers litigating them.
The customers are perceived as unsophisticated individuals without the resources or motivation to sue them.
Hence over time, games development companies have observed that they can push the envelope of quality on games, such that they start using their paying clients as involuntarily Beta testers.
There are no perceived consequences to cutting corners - until the project fails.

Developers and staff, like most professionals are motivated to do a decent job.  Most of us don't start our work day planning to produce poor results or outcomes, but excessive mgmt interference, demotivated workforces and poor KPI's drive this outcome.
I think Turdbine suffers from poor middle mgmt decision making too.  It has shown a blatant disregard for customer concerns (QA/CS) and an unwillingness to listen in development.  Even the PC claim their ability to influence decisions is minimal - why bother with the a focus group if you won't listen to them?

Turdbine have a great IP in DDO.  With professional mgmt (Producer/Marketing/Development/QA&QC) and competent staff, they could have a great product, regardless of the age of the product.  It'll never have WoW success, but it could be a stable income earner for many years to come.
But given it's stage in the product life cycle, some MBA at Warner will never permit it to recover.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:25pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That's your answer

Complete bullshit.
Go check other games that are popular and youll see why they are popular.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That's your answer

Turdbine did all the same shit befote WB. That's not to say that the same problems weren't occurring in-house... just that WB may not be the culprit.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Yeah, Turbine did same shit before. But WB is probably making it worse and definitely not making it better.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Nov 20th, 2014 at 1:49pm:
Yeah, Turbine did same shit before. But WB is probably making it worse and definitely not making it better.

Would you reckon if Infinite Crisis has ladders? Cheesy

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Nov 20th, 2014 at 1:53pm:
Would you reckon if Infinite Crisis has ladders? Cheesy

><

Didn't even think about that.  But now that you bring it up...

><

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Turd_Ferguson wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 10:59am:

They seem pretty committed to their system of layoffs.

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:22pm:
Developers and staff, like most professionals are motivated to do a decent job.  Most of us don't start our work day planning to produce poor results or outcomes, but excessive mgmt interference, demotivated workforces and poor KPI's drive this outcome.

You and I have a substantially different point of view in regard to the quality of the developers at Turbine.

Over the course of my 30+ years as a software engineer, I have literally worked with thousands, if not tens of thousands, of software engineers. The ones at Turbine are among the worst I have ever seen.

Not only are they among the worst that I have ever seen, they are significantly worse than those who are merely bad. (Like every profession, there is a bell curve of competency, with the vast majority being rather average, with substantially smaller numbers at the extremes of brilliance and gross incompetence.)

The defining characteristic of a Turbine developer is overwhelming arrogance in the face of their own gross incompetence.

I'm not quite sure how they managed to pull off that rather unusual combination. Most bad software engineers who I have encountered at least have an inkling that they are not the best of the best.

It might simply be the fact that, as a small company, Turbine developers are never exposed to anyone who is actually good at their job. They do all seem to have a "special snowflake" mentality about them.

I remember reading some commentary about one of the Turbine layoffs where the employees were "stunned" that something like that could be happening to them.

Did those dumb fucks ever read the forums where their work was raked over the coals endlessly? Did they just attribute it to those bad haters, doom sayers, and whiners who for some reason spent their free time unfairly criticizing the brilliant work done by Turbine?

One of the first steps to becoming better is understanding that improvement is necessary, or at least possible. Given the culture at Turbine, I think the first chance many of them get to realize that they need to do better is a pink slip.

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:41am
Print Post  
GermanicusMaximus wrote on Nov 20th, 2014 at 11:00pm:
You and I have a substantially different point of view in regard to the quality of the developers at Turbine.

Over the course of my 30+ years as a software engineer, I have literally worked with thousands, if not tens of thousands, of software engineers. The ones at Turbine are among the worst I have ever seen.

Not only are they among the worst that I have ever seen, they are significantly worse than those who are merely bad. (Like every profession, there is a bell curve of competency, with the vast majority being rather average, with substantially smaller numbers at the extremes of brilliance and gross incompetence.)

The defining characteristic of a Turbine developer is overwhelming arrogance in the face of their own gross incompetence.

I'm not quite sure how they managed to pull off that rather unusual combination. Most bad software engineers who I have encountered at least have an inkling that they are not the best of the best.

It might simply be the fact that, as a small company, Turbine developers are never exposed to anyone who is actually good at their job. They do all seem to have a "special snowflake" mentality about them.

I remember reading some commentary about one of the Turbine layoffs where the employees were "stunned" that something like that could be happening to them.

Did those dumb fucks ever read the forums where their work was raked over the coals endlessly? Did they just attribute it to those bad haters, doom sayers, and whiners who for some reason spent their free time unfairly criticizing the brilliant work done by Turbine?

One of the first steps to becoming better is understanding that improvement is necessary, or at least possible. Given the culture at Turbine, I think the first chance many of them get to realize that they need to do better is a pink slip.

You may well be right GM but I don't know any of them personally to make that assessment.
I said they are motivated to do a decent job.  I did not reflect on their individual or collective competencies.

I am very critical of Turdbine as an entity, but try to steer clear of attributing blame to individuals unless I can be sure.
Jerry is an easy target - his work is self-evident, and I 100% support your observations with regard to Jerry.  I would not want his job because it would suck, but correspondingly, he is pretty unprofessional in his behaviour.

Turdbine work practices and quality are appalling by any standard, but from the outside it is very difficult to attribute any specific poor work to an individual.  There might be some very competent individuals in the DDO team that have/are held back by the majority and it would be unfair to tar them with the same brush as the others.

I believe the problem at Turbine is endemic to the whole mgmt culture and the "system/process".  Too many to go through here - but basics like versioning control, competent QA/QC, responsibility for one's work, lack of coordination/cohesiveness, general lack of direction (too many solo projects that make previous work redundant and are often never finished) etc. etc.

Every reasonable sized workplace has their share of "chair warmers" - people who serve little purpose other than consume oxygen and keep a chair company.
You might be right, perhaps Turdbine through recruiting practices, remuneration and reputation has an unusually number of oxygen thieves.

We're 100% aligned on the Turdbine arrogance - the sheer arrogance of their staff is beyond unbelievable. 
There's a big difference between having a thick skin and a thick skull, and Turdbine employees fall into the latter whilst thinking they're the former.
But that type of consistent arrogance cannot come from so many individuals - that is "groupthink" which comes from an embedded culture - it probably started with F.ernando, became assimilated and evolved into the norm in the DDO work group.
I imagine from what we see, that they generally view their customers with disdain.  "Stupid, simple gamers - what would they know about games development?" is likely the team mantra at planning meetings.

TL:DR - my view of Turdbine and the DDO team is not too dissimilar to yours, i just don't have any basis or desire to target individuals at this point as most of the team are new. I hear anecdotal stuff in back channels which supports my view on the culture though.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:43am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 3:19am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:41am:
Jerry is an easy target - his work is self-evident, and I 100% support your observations with regard to Jerry.  I would not want his job because it would suck, but correspondingly, he is pretty unprofessional in his behaviour.

"Pretty unprofessional" does not do it justice, even if it were on a job recommendation that one wanted to put in the best possible light. "Ill-advised," perhaps, or "shows great initiative, but lacks the necessary skill set," maybe. Ultimately, we should fault the judgment of whoever has the authority to allow his live streams to be seen.

His live streams compare favorably to a 13-year old's. But only just. He still has the same obliviousness to critical presentation issues, such as: know what you are going to do; understand the concept of rehearsal; dress in a manner that if it won't attract customers, at least it won't actively repel them; frame your shot so that someone isn't eating lunch in the background. The list goes on, and it is a list that might be needed in a critique of a junior or senior video project, but not all in the same project.

His moderation of the boards suffers greatly from Turbine directives over which he has no say. I don't know which egregious, stupid, customer-hating tactics and policies are Turbine's and which are Jerry's. Several incompetencies can be laid directly at Jerry's feet, but several others could easily be the result of impossible restrictions placed on the job. Flav's Monkey And The Sloppy Work concept explains what we see best. In an environment where none of the other problems existed, Jerry's offer to help Qualor, for instance, no matter how much of a douche-stick Qualor is, would be an encouraging thing. Look, here's an example of someone at Turbine giving a fuck about a player's experience.

But all of the other problems do exist. Instead of the customer base seeing someone at Turbine giving a fuck, we are more steered towards wondering how dirty Jerry's choad is, that it needs such constant cleaning from his lickspittles.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 3:46am
Print Post  
I think it's hard to judge the developers because we don't know how the code of DDO looks like. And all evidence we have make it look like spagetti code with nearly no commentary.
This situation needs very good programmers to do a half decent job.

And yeah, now you probably say they could just try to rework the code and make it better and stuff. But that's the part where the managers probably say, that this would make some developers work on something that doesn't produce new content and no new content = no money = useless.

And I once saw how the developers of a browser game changed and the first 6 months they did nothing but looking at the current code, understanding the code and bringing the code to a state a professional engineer could work with that and some minor changes/bugfixes when they noticed flaws in the code. And that was only a browser game. The code base of DDO is probably several times larger.

Especially at the current state where Turbine probably has only few developers left they can't go that route because even if you say you would prefer this route most gamers would cry out loud if they don't get new content for 6-9 months.
They need content to keep the players busy.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 3:46am:
I think it's hard to judge the developers because we don't know how the code of DDO looks like. And all evidence we have make it look like spagetti code with nearly no commentary.

And yeah, now you probably say they could just try to rework the code and make it better and stuff. But that's the part where the managers probably say, that this would make some developers work on something that doesn't produce new content and no new content = no money = useless.

And I once saw how the developers of a browser game changed and the first 6 months they did nothing but looking at the current code, understanding the code and bringing the code to a state a professional engineer could work with that and some minor changes/bugfixes when they noticed flaws in the code. And that was only a browser game. The code base of DDO is probably several times larger.

Especially at the current state where Turbine probably has only few developers left they can't go that route because even if you say you would prefer this route most gamers would cry out loud if they don't get new content for 6-9 months.

Some time in the far, far future - like 50-100 years from now - some people's hobbies will be fixing and streamlining old code.

Kidding, no one will care.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  

I understand what you're saying, and we do have an inkling that the legacy code base is a mess.
But you cannot continue to use that as an excuse.  Either deal with it or fix it.
It might be a minor point, but re-writing the code is the role of a software engineer, not a developer, so to be clear this task would not stop content development directly. 
It would require a code freeze, so depending how the code is structured, it would require major system changes to stop, but this should not impact content development.
So the playerbase would largely be unaware.

Art, character modesl, maps and GUI would need minimal work.  Just the back end and quest code would be targeted.

And this need not be a massive expense either.  Get yourself 1 or 2 top shelf engineers and you could likely get it done in 6-12 months - they're not having to extensively design.  Target is same functionality, but tidier back end.  You could extend the scope to enhance the back end (incorporate automated design tools for example).  Try to save costs and get some hack engineers and you'll end up with a project disaster.
Furthermore, DDO2 would require extensive functionality testing as the engineers would likely know nothing about DnD.  This is where your loyal customer base comes in to bring your costs down.
This last step requires a competent QA/QC to coordinate a dedicated team of reliable players who can go through detailed testing programs for you.

So what would DDO2 offer to make this worthwhile.  Visually, likely nothing to the customer as not advocating that they change the visual game engine.  But it might allow the devs to produce saleable content faster with less bugs.  Automated development tool kits and testing scripts.  It might allow them to consolidate legacy crafting systems and standardise other systems by having common logic modules rather than individually coded segments.  This in turn could reduce lag as the code becomes more efficient.  Who knows, as it will never happen.

Our business is undertaking this at the moment - we have a software engineer rewriting the code for our software in a faster, modern code format that is easier to develop and taking the opportunity to standardise legacy work.
During this time, the business has suffered no interruption, continues to earn an income to fund the development, and the integration to the new software has been planned ahead of time so the switch over should be smooth.  We know there will be issues with interfaces and integrated systems, but we're mitigating these risks as much as possible up front.

It all comes down to the vision of the mgmt.
"It's too hard" and "we can't afford it" were heard in our orgn too, but someone with vision made the call.   Wink
But that's business, you have to take a risk to get rewards.

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:41am:
TL:DR - my view of Turdbine and the DDO team is not too dissimilar to yours

Fair enough. My apologies if I in any way mischaracterized your opinion on this topic.

Revaulting wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 3:19am:
Instead of the customer base seeing someone at Turbine giving a fuck, we are more steered towards wondering how dirty Jerry's choad is, that it needs such constant cleaning from his lickspittles.

Cordo has so many job performance issues, but I have always felt that this one was the most egregious. The moderation of the forum gives the (well deserved) reputation that the only way to get a fair hearing on anything is to be a Turbine, and Cordo, toadie. Do they really believe that is a sounds business strategy?

What evidence do we have that the code base has been a mess for an extended period of time, other than the fact that the people who keep fucking up blame the code rather than themselves?

Blaming "spaghetti code" for software problems is akin to a kid saying that his dog ate his homework. It is the number one excuse that comes flying out whenever a software engineer doesn't want to take the blame himself.

The code could very well be spaghetti code now. Spaghetti code is the software equivalent of The Broken Window Theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Once it is established as an excuse, it is then used as a justification to just slap whatever crap you want into the code base. After all, the code base is already spaghetti code, so a little more garbage isn't going to change the fundamental essence of what it already is.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint