Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Lagapalooza '14/15 - It's the players' fault (Read 15830 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: Lagapalooza '14/15 - It's the players' fault
Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 12:39pm:
Heads up, guys - this game was released before most of us bought/built the machines we play on today. While they've moved along with DX to some degree, the game's load on client hardware hasn't really changed that much.

In other words, this game is now running on client machines significantly more advanced than it was designed for. Don't believe me? Look at the current recommended specs (not min specs, recommended specs) - they're about the level of current phones...

Turdbine has been blaming client systems since the first lag spike. They even went so far as to eliminate many of the emergent gameplay aspects of the game, all in the name of preventing client-side lag.

DDO is laggy. For the majority of users, compared to other games, it will always be laggy. The client-side excuse wore out three generations of processor fab width ago. The problem is DDO. Don't believe any other bullshit.

I agree about the computers we use and the 4 generations gap... I saw it when my DDO PC fried in August ( It was built a few month before DDO release, and lasted that long ).

Now for the lag issue, the problem is most probably Cogent... But I don't think Turbine has any power of over that.

A few relevant traceroutes from various people all over the world would prove my assertion ( or allow me to say that I'm wrong  ).

It's also good to note that LoTRO seems also to be hit by a lagmonster right now...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Brosef
Korthos Resident

Master Baiter

Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
For fuck sake. I come here to get away from the mother forum dribble. Then what do I  find for the top post? Another fucking lag post!

I'm no fanboi, but I  recently got a new laptop  and I  now I  get ZERO lag. So, yes, some of the blame lies with peoples shitty ass antique systems. Note I  said "SOME". I wish someone would come in to turbine (and here) monday morning and execute a deletion protocol on every fucking post with the word "lag" in it.

Why do these douche nozzles feel the need to start a new fucking thread every time they log in? Is it that fucking hard for little Johnny retard to use the fucking search function?

Turbine is partially at fault. Your isp is partially at fault. Your shitty ass antique Commodore 64 pos computer is partially at fault. Grow up and quit posting yet another stupid fucking thread about lag.

And Crackhead, if that's your rl pic for your avatar, eat a fuckin carrot and go outside for what normal people call "exercise".
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2015 at 1:37pm by Brosef »  

"One of these things is not like the others... one of these things just doesn't belong..."

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #27 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Brosef wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 1:35pm:
For fuck sake. I come here to get away from the mother forum dribble. Then what do I  find for the top post? Another fucking lag post!

I'm no fanboi, but I  recently got a new laptop  and I  now I  get ZERO lag. So, yes, some of the blame lies with peoples shitty ass antique systems. Note I  said "SOME". I wish someone would come in to turbine (and here) monday morning and execute a deletion protocol on every fucking post with the word "lag" in it.

Why do these douche nozzles feel the need to start a new fucking thread every time they log in? Is it that fucking hard for little Johnny retard to use the fucking search function?

Turbine is partially at fault. Your isp is partially at fault. Your shitty ass antique Commodore 64 pos computer is partially at fault. Grow up and quit posting yet another stupid fucking thread about lag.

And Crackhead, if that's your rl pic for your avatar, eat a fuckin carrot and go outside for what normal people call "exercise".

Stop whining asshole. Were discussing the lag here as it is the hottest topic as of now.

And if you're one of the idiots who thinks it's the players' computers, well ...  Roll Eyes sry I didn't get the sarcasm. Otherwise you're obviously even dumber than your post made you look like.

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #28 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
[quote author=4871627571666669070 link=1420226432/17#17 date=1420276348]

How is the game?
I got many recoms from friends to try it out, they say its quite brutal, but also that i play first one as well[/quote]

I am liking it, but having to relearn the game. The game feels tweaked quite a bit. Made the switch from keyboard and mouse to controller, so that is part of it. But, parry/riposte timing and such definitely feels different in 2.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #29 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
ok, According to a traceroute I performed during a 'Greek Freeze' on G-Land while gathering for a FoT, the issue is on a router in Boston.
just giving the relevant bit :

Code
Select All
  8    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  be2489.ccr42.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.39.113]
  9    98 ms    98 ms    99 ms  be2493.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.42.97]
 10   278 ms   208 ms   210 ms  te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.254]
 11   101 ms   101 ms   101 ms  38.104.252.70
 12   115 ms   114 ms   116 ms  border1.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn003.pnap.net [63.251.128.107]

It would be nice to know if other people ( well people that are not in Europe... all European traffic go through that router ) go through the router :
te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com

As he clearly seems to be the culprit ( at least for European Lag Spikes )
Please note that it can have another name and be the same router...

stuff like te1-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com has about 99% chances of being the same router.
( the first bit of the name is used to identify the card/interface as in : te card 1 interface 4 or te card 4 interface 2 [ it can be there reverse... te interface 4 card 2 )

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #30 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:13pm:
It would be nice to know if other people ( well people that are not in Europe... all European traffic go through that router ) go through the router :
te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com

As he clearly seems to be the culprit ( at least for European Lag Spikes )
Please note that it can have another name and be the same router...

stuff like te1-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com has about 99% chances of being the same router.
( the first bit of the name is used to identify the card/interface as in : te card 1 interface 4 or te card 4 interface 2 [ it can be there reverse... te interface 4 card 2 )

Your hypothesis is that different game worlds will give different tracerts between the end users and Turbine's data center?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #31 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 7:32pm
Print Post  

Fuck off back to the motherboards you Turbine cock sucking douche.

IP Logged

ThatLukeGuy
Waterworks Kobold

Happy little trees

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 8:24pm
Print Post  

Well normally I can log on and play without any lag either but right now I'm frozen on the airship -> crash -> frozen in market -> had to Alt-F4 ->  frozen in bank... etc etc..  for about an hour now...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #33 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 3:23am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:43pm:
Your hypothesis is that different game worlds will give different tracerts between the end users and Turbine's data center?

No my hypothesis is that different people from different places over the world will give a different tracert between them and Turbine PNAP hosted datacenters.

From all these traces we can then find all the routers that can have an impact on everything.

I'd be the first surprised if the different servers have a different traceroute. ( they are all on the same /24 network... well even the same /25 )

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:08am
Print Post  
ThatLukeGuy wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 8:24pm:
Well normally I can log on and play without any lag either but right now I'm frozen on the airship -> crash -> frozen in market -> had to Alt-F4 ->  frozen in bank... etc etc..  for about an hour now...

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #35 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 12:39pm:
Heads up, guys - this game was released before most of us bought/built the machines we play on today. While they've moved along with DX to some degree, the game's load on client hardware hasn't really changed that much.

In other words, this game is now running on client machines significantly more advanced than it was designed for. Don't believe me? Look at the current recommended specs (not min specs, recommended specs) - they're about the level of current phones...

Turdbine has been blaming client systems since the first lag spike. They even went so far as to eliminate many of the emergent gameplay aspects of the game, all in the name of preventing client-side lag.

DDO is laggy. For the majority of users, compared to other games, it will always be laggy. The client-side excuse wore out three generations of processor fab width ago. The problem is DDO. Don't believe any other bullshit.

The game gets bigger every update. When was the last time you logged in? The "current" recommended specs haven't been updated since '06. If you try to play with that kind of hardware, you are a masochist. The first 2 machines that I played DDO on have fallen so far behind that they can't even log in anymore.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Bacardi
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:52am
Print Post  
I rarely had lag before MotuD.

Remember when they brought it on Lamaland and they separated Kings Forest in 2 areas divided by the river and a loading screen in between?

Add beautiful water splashing around birds frogs goats deers in a 2006 game and BOOM.

But you have to admit its our fault our Pc`s are so fast that the Hamsters cant keep up with them.

Sorry Turbine

(ps i wouldnt take someone with the title master baiter seriously Wink )

Epoch wrote on May 22nd, 2012 at 4:46am:
I can tell by your typing that you are an uneducated fuckwit.  This explains why you think books are bad.  I bet you think school is hard and you shouldn't have to repeat 7th grade again this year.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #37 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Yea, there was no lag for me before u13, and that is same time that double login bug came.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #38 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 3:23am:
No my hypothesis is that different people from different places over the world will give a different tracert between them and Turbine PNAP hosted datacenters.

From all these traces we can then find all the routers that can have an impact on everything.

I'd be the first surprised if the different servers have a different traceroute. ( they are all on the same /24 network... well even the same /25 )

The different game worlds have different lag profiles.

Next time you're rubberbanding, log into another server with a different account and compare, keeping the original connection open.

Some lag comes from pinch points on the route and impacts all servers, but the debilitating stuff that people are complaining about right now is not happening to all the servers.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 8:25am
Print Post  
I still remember cogent, over the last 10-12 years I regularly heard that name when the online games I was playing had serious lag problems.

So it wouldn't surprise me if they are at least part of the lag problem.

And shitty coding is causing more lag than shitty hardware, Black Loch is a very good quest to prove that. Tongue

And don't forget the players who pretend to lag because they suck too much. Wink

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 9:29am
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 8:25am:
And don't forget the players who pretend to lag because they suck too much. Wink

This made me LOL... though I have a problem that isn't 'lag' based. I have a Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard, on an AMD build... every once in a while the usb port my wireless receiver is plugged into just drops out and I have to yank it and plug it into a new port... and it is ALWAYS when mobs are trying to climb up our party's ass.  Angry
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2015 at 9:29am by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

Bacardi
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Also DDO doesnt work well with Raptr with R9 gpus and amd cpus.

Your Usb ports will have a hard time and your keyboard will be stuck.

Epoch wrote on May 22nd, 2012 at 4:46am:
I can tell by your typing that you are an uneducated fuckwit.  This explains why you think books are bad.  I bet you think school is hard and you shouldn't have to repeat 7th grade again this year.

IP Logged

ThatLukeGuy
Waterworks Kobold

Happy little trees

Reply #42 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
[quote author=033F3D3517252918352235500 link=1420226432/11#11 date=1420260492]I picked up Dark Souls 2 today and have noticed a considerable decline in both lag and bugs. [/quote]

Same thing has happened to me when I started playing DA:I recently.  There might be a pattern...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #43 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 7:07am:
The different game worlds have different lag profiles.

Next time you're rubberbanding, log into another server with a different account and compare, keeping the original connection open.

Some lag comes from pinch points on the route and impacts all servers, but the debilitating stuff that people are complaining about right now is not happening to all the servers.

I've seen weirder things caused by a hardware issue on a router...

Things like : One single IP address on a customer network being unreachable if you came through a given router on the ISP backbone... if you came through any other router in the backbone the issue was not there... in the end it was caused by an issue on the card facing the customer network. ( all the other interfaces on that card worked fine, it was impacting one single interface out of 10. ) All the other addresses on the customer network were reachable from everywhere. ( the customer has a /28 on that network one single address couldn't be reached, all the other addresses were... )

And it depends on how the actual game server ips are advertized in the network ( read : routed ).

If they are advertized as unique /32 then it's quite possible to have a huge issue on one, and no issue on the next address/server.
( or use my above example and instead of a 100% loss for a given IP take a 5 to 50% variable loss, you'll have the Lag effect )

I can't legally check how they are advertized right now... ( I have no reason to connect to my customer nodes on a sunday afternoon while still being in vacation )
but I might be able to steal a few minutes to perform some checks tomorrow once I'm at work.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #44 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 9:29am:
This made me LOL... though I have a problem that isn't 'lag' based. I have a Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard, on an AMD build... every once in a while the usb port my wireless receiver is plugged into just drops out and I have to yank it and plug it into a new port... and it is ALWAYS when mobs are trying to climb up our party's ass. 

Logitech has trouble playing with Chrome, too. They did something shitty in their device software, and released it anyway. They seem to have decided it's not their fault, either. Heck, they might even be right, but being right isn't doing anything to help their customers use Chrome.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #45 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 3:50am
Print Post  
And shitty coding is causing more lag than shitty hardware, Black Loch is a very good quest to prove that. Tongue

Smart coding can go a hell of a long way to reducing required system resources,...but graphics lag is still client side.

I think this is way more common than anyone is willing to admit. Especially now that the noobs can't blame the cleric.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #46 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
It appears they will be rebooting Khyber at least:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454118-Lag-problems-on-Khyber-continue...

Check out two posts below that one. Check the link.

Apparently the Guild Ship instances aren't going away. They're up to over 1300 apparently.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

xXxEdgyxXx
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
remember when they nerfed twf years ago to 'fix' the lag? didn't that have something to do with too many weapon swing calculations? well seems there's a shitton of new stuff that adds doublestrike and offhand attack chance and attack speed. are we gonna get another round of a twf nerf style 'fix'?

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Huh, so with this episode apparently it's not the majority of user's PC's nor the route to Turbine but Turbine itself. Who would have thought?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
the Khyber issue is not a single issue... there's more than just the number of instances.... and that's what's lagging the other servers...

Probably Notwork.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint