Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) 2015 Producer's Letter (Read 46333 times)
Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Re: 2015 Producer's Letter
Reply #75 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:13am
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:10am:
They went from +8 to +11 with Shadowfail.

And yes it ruined part the game.

As always. They are so stupid thats not even funny.

DDO used to get this right but post EGH they've been invalidating loot far to quickly.  The +11 stat items made most of the EGH and prior loot worthless overnight.  Now the only thing in all of EGH worth farming is the friggin White dragon chest.

IP Logged

Ash
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #76 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:20am
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:00am:
I still want to know what the raise of level cap to 30 will do to the experience spread. 

Currently 1.5 million is programmed into the game to get you from lvl 28 to lvl 29.

So unless they change the xp curve, level 30 will likely be 1,650,000 more -- for a total of 9,750,000 xp.

tldr; very painful.. get your ETRs done now
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:21am by Ash »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #77 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:13am:
DDO used to get this right but post EGH they've been invalidating loot far to quickly.  The +11 stat items made most of the EGH and prior loot worthless overnight.  Now the only thing in all of EGH worth farming is the friggin White dragon chest.

This.  I agree that gear becomes obsolete too fast.

Although, to be fair, if the level cap is 30, level 24-26 gear should not be end game gear out of the box.  What they need is a way to take the eVon, eDQ, eFens, eChrono, ePhiarlan, eDeneith, MOTU, EGH, and The High Road and upgrade them in 4 level increments.  Such that Level 20 gear can have a level 24 variant and level 28 variant.  Use whatever ingredients are appropriate at the level range.  Use eGH ingredients to create Dragon variants (level 24) on all level 20-22 loot.  Use Thunderholme and Orchard ingredients to create Shadow variant weapons (28) and Mythic gear (28) respectively.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #78 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:50am
Print Post  
randomer022 wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:37pm:
also, the OP forgot to mention that rangers are going to be the next update on enhancements.

Whether or not this is true is irrelevant, the letter didn't say that so I didn't mention it.  Smiley

Severlin:
Quote:
We envision the Warlock class concentrating mostly on its Eldritch Blast ability and ways to manipulate that arcane blast in various ways. While the Warlock does have spell abilities they are closer to a ranged character than a traditional caster.

Cool.

Flav wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 3:24am:
I think he calls them Enhancement Trees, because from behind the scene that's what they are enhancement trees... compare both system, and you'll see that they share a lot
    of mechanics.

Of course. The enhancement pass was based on the ED system, but even if epic destinies are functionally extremely similar to enhancement trees it seems sloppy for the executive producer to not utilize the proper terminology.

In a way, it's similar to calling PDK the human horc race. While it would be technically accurate since the race is a human head on a horc body, it would surprise me if someone working at turbine referred to it as such.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #79 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 3:51am:
Thanks, you should see the jib of my cut.

Is that a sail made of foreskin?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #80 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Ash wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:20am:
Currently 1.5 million is programmed into the game to get you from lvl 28 to lvl 29.

http://files.enjin.com.s3.amazonaws.com/582752/module_gallery/original/2107706.j...

So unless they change the xp curve, level 30 will likely be 1,650,000 more -- for a total of 9,750,000 xp.

tldr; very painful.. get your ETRs done now

13 more. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:20pm by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #81 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
6 toons epic completionist, 4 more to go....

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #82 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Thank God I never fell into the ETR trap!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Brac
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #83 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
I didn't understand his follow up comment.  Are the new GS going to be sentient or they have just scrapped sentient weapons?

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #84 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:51pm:
Thank God I never fell into the ETR trap!

What are you doing then?

Brac wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:04pm:
I didn't understand his follow up comment.  Are the new GS going to be sentient or they have just scrapped sentient weapons?

He doesn't know either.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:20pm by Viktor Vaughn »  

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
What are you doing then?

He doesn't know either.

Yes, they do not know either.  I would expect this to be the 3rd or 4th update of the year anyway so who knows.  The way things are going it's conceivable it simply gets pushed out into oblivion.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #86 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
What are you doing then?

Making alts usually. I like trying new ideas for builds I dream up when I'm taking a shower or eating lunch. I have 19 capped toons and they're all different and, in some cases, weird.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #87 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
...also are we no longer following the Tyranny of the Wyrms (or whatever) storyline?

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #88 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:47am:
This.  I agree that gear becomes obsolete too fast.

Although, to be fair, if the level cap is 30, level 24-26 gear should not be end game gear out of the box.  What they need is a way to take the eVon, eDQ, eFens, eChrono, ePhiarlan, eDeneith, MOTU, EGH, and The High Road and upgrade them in 4 level increments.  Such that Level 20 gear can have a level 24 variant and level 28 variant.  Use whatever ingredients are appropriate at the level range.  Use eGH ingredients to create Dragon variants (level 24) on all level 20-22 loot.  Use Thunderholme and Orchard ingredients to create Shadow variant weapons (28) and Mythic gear (28) respectively.

This sounds like a good approach Asheras.
I believe that gear the grows and improves is a much better approach.
It does require that they think ahead and plan the increments so they are relevant but not overpowered.

As others have mentioned, the Shadowfail expansion took stat boosts from from +8 to +11 in one step.  To me, this highlighted that Turdbine have no plan or vision.
When the new shinies only go up by +1, you have to weigh up whether the +1 is worth it.
When they go up +3, as others pointed out - it invalidates the current material very quickly for many players.

The other advantage of the augment or upgrade suggestions, is not having a bank full of unused bound gear.  I'd go one step further to say that the upgrades are unlocks, so the next time you ETR, you use the same gear from level 20 but the powers now automatically unlock as you level.
As with the Mabar items, I think it is impractical to have a version for 12, 16, 20, 24 for each item.  However, I suspect they would continue down this path just to increase the grind though - by doing this they more than quadruple the grind.  That's a good thing isn't it Turdbine - players love the grind?

Asheras - you have level 28 and level 28 Mythic - I'd suggest changing the level 28 mythic to the Sentient versions for weaps and mythic (lvl 30) for other items.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 4:52pm:
This sounds like a good approach Asheras.
I believe that gear the grows and improves is a much better approach.
It does require that they think ahead and plan the increments so they are relevant but not overpowered.

As others have mentioned, the Shadowfail expansion took stat boosts from from +8 to +11 in one step.  To me, this highlighted that Turdbine have no plan or vision.
When the new shinies only go up by +1, you have to weigh up whether the +1 is worth it.
When they go up +3, as others pointed out - it invalidates the current material very quickly for many players.

The other advantage of the augment or upgrade suggestions, is not having a bank full of unused bound gear.  I'd go one step further to say that the upgrades are unlocks, so the next time you ETR, you use the same gear from level 20 but the powers now automatically unlock as you level.
As with the Mabar items, I think it is impractical to have a version for 12, 16, 20, 24 for each item.  However, I suspect they would continue down this path just to increase the grind though - by doing this they more than quadruple the grind.  That's a good thing isn't it Turdbine - players love the grind?

Asheras - you have level 28 and level 28 Mythic - I'd suggest changing the level 28 mythic to the Sentient versions for weaps and mythic (lvl 30) for other items.

And don't forget that Shadowfell gave +7 to lev 15 toons as well, the power boink for 15-19 gear was pretty significant.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #90 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 2:29am:
You are too much of a Gent Bear,  Those responses were just BS strawmen and he dodged all the real questions thrown. What a total dickhead, this sounds just like his Hamp and barb bullshit, don't be fooled it's not some kind of exchange of ideas for this guy, no this is him just letting us hear him think out loud, mark my words he will take on nothing from anyone else.

The guy is a clueless Cunt.

Sorry Hag, I actually did find his clarifications interesting.  Some good, some bad, some indifferent.
I guess my view was based on the change from past behaviour.  In the past, EP's have dropped big news late on a Friday and let the forums meltdown over the weekend and start replying the following Tues.
This was always so stupid.  You release info, listen to the feedback and answer it before the speculation and fear mongering gets out of hand.

But I suppose if viewed through the lens of him writing completely BS, then it all is just irrelevant waffle.

I guess I assumed that Sev speaks of intentions and ignore the usual PR fluff (eg. we're addressing bug fixes every update....).
I have no intention to debate him on the matter or refine his thoughts as my expectations on this front are very low.     Undecided
You can already tell from Sev's responses that many of these things have already been decided - before seeking PC or forum feedback I would suspect.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:05pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #91 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:04pm:
Sorry Hag, I actually did find his clarifications interesting.  Some good, some bad, some indifferent.
I guess my view was based on the change from past behaviour.  In the past, EP's have dropped big news late on a Friday and let the forums meltdown over the weekend and start replying the following Tues.
This was always so stupid.  You release info, listen to the feedback and answer it before the speculation and fear mongering gets out of hand.

But I suppose if viewed through the lens of him writing completely BS, then it all is just irrelevant waffle.

I guess I assumed that Sev speaks of intentions and ignore the usual PR fluff (eg. we're addressing bug fixes every update....).
I have no intention to debate him on the matter or refine his thoughts as my expectations on this front are very low.     Undecided
You can already tell from Sev's responses that many of these things have already been decided - before seeking PC or forum feedback I would suspect.

No, no, never apologize for being reasonable and decent, I shouldn't have said it that way.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #92 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:04pm:

Yes, you are reading that dead right.  This is exactly the way he proceeded with the Hamp and barb content, he has already decided what he is doing.

Part of his "take charge" charm for the top brass in Boston.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #93 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 10:33pm:
Strategically, sentient weapons could add alot to end game for some people.

I'd be a lot less skeptical of Sentient Weapons if they could manage to get Sentient Hirelings ...

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #94 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:17pm:
I'd be a lot less skeptical of Sentient Weapons if they could manage to get Sentient Hirelings ...

Lol.  True that.
I am intrigued as to what the "sentient" part will mean in DDO mechanics.
In DnD, it's usually just a great opportunity for the GM to annoy the crap out of the players.  Smiley

LOTRO has legendary weapons that you "assemble"over time, which is what I'm thinking they will likely emulate, but these have no relation to the term "sentient"?

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #95 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Not sure if this was mentioned on page 2 and/or 3....

Severlin was the Producer on Asheron's Call that took AC into Maintenance Mode.  Which basically means, he didn't really do anything over there.  He might be used to rushing out new content every month, maybe.

In theory, in late 2015 AC should be able to be hosted by players on their own servers.  Now to see if it is implemented.  My guess, nope.

IP Logged

Ash
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Jan 10th, 2015 at 9:06am:
Not sure if this was mentioned on page 2 and/or 3....

Severlin was the Producer on Asheron's Call that took AC into Maintenance Mode.  Which basically means, he didn't really do anything over there.  He might be used to rushing out new content every month, maybe.

In theory, in late 2015 AC should be able to be hosted by players on their own servers.  Now to see if it is implemented.  My guess, nope.

Do you know what a producers job is?

You say that he "really didn't do anything over there" but then acknowledge the work that they are doing to make it so players can host and modify the game on their own servers.

All that work needs to be managed and organized.. or it never will get done. -- that's part of what a Producer does.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Ash wrote on Jan 10th, 2015 at 11:27am:
All that work needs to be managed and organized.. or it never will get done. -- that's part of what a Producer does.

Looking at all the long standing exploits and bugs, promises never delivered upon and half baked half finished projects that are abandoned upon delivery, I would suppose turbine does not agree with your definition of their producers. Just saying.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #98 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:17pm:

If you could swing Larafay around by her ankles, she'd be the best weapon in the game.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #99 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:03pm:
And don't forget that Shadowfell gave +7 to lev 15 toons as well, the power boink for 15-19 gear was pretty significant.

Good point Hag.
This stupid step alone, invalidated most of the Epic SSS items which maxed at +6.  Scratching my head as to why they did that.  It broke the natural progression.
And they made it easy to get too.   Just run your freshly minted iconics through on Casual if you want.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Send TopicPrint