Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic D&D 5.0 devs talk inspiration, and damn warlocks (Read 7475 times)
Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

D&D 5.0 devs talk inspiration, and damn warlocks
Jan 27th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: D&D 5.0 devs talk inspiration, and damn warlocks
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I like his book title "Of Dice and Men" - very clever.

Anyone checked out 5E yet?
Any thoughts?

I was looking fwd to 4E tidying up the mess 3.5E had become, by applying a coherent and consistent revamp to the rules.
I was hugely disappointed by the published 4E rules, which I felt became too derivative and generic - almost like they applied an M:TG pass over it.  All customization went out the window in favor of "balance".
I have not been following 5E, so keen to see what direction they went.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
3.5 was mess - but most funny mess DND ever was. And i m saying that as DM and player who has really big problems to convert from ADnD 2nd ED to 3rd ED:)

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Well they are planing on throwing a lot of money at it for the next 6 quarters, I will look for the link to the article about that, I think it was bloomberg or some such at the end of last year.

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I've played a handful of 5th edition sessions. It's a good, streamlined, uncomplicated system. I actually wish there was more to consider and put together, but it's early on and none of the alt books have been introduced yet. Very short on feat options and that sort of customization at this point.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I am kind of from the other end of the spectrum, I am one of those "rules lawyers" types, so the more convoluted the rules the better. It gives you more options for "breaking the game."

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 9:45pm:
I am kind of from the other end of the spectrum, I am one of those "rules lawyers" types, so the more convoluted the rules the better. It gives you more options for "breaking the game."

That's exactly how I feel about it.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:15pm
Print Post  

IMO, this is the part of PnP that DDO gets so very right. Then dev after dev comes along and witlessly tries to remove this element. It's fucking sacrilege, is what it is.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:28pm
Print Post  

This is how 4e broke the game for me.
As a GM, I loved throwing unusual problems at the players at letting them innovate.  Sometimes they succeeded, sometimes they didn't but they felt like they had fun doing it.
The ability to have complex permutations of gear, skills, powers and spells was always a drawcard.
And 4E seemed solely focussed on simplified combat and little else.  I read the development notes as 4E was being formed and found hope in what I read. 
And then it was published, and looked more like a beer and pretzels game.  I think there were more tactics in "Pass the Pigs" than 4E.    Sad

4E example....
Player excitedly: "I cast my daily spell......"
DM: "It misses, bummer"
Player: "Oh.  I guess I cast my per encounter power then"
DM: "Monster evades it"
Player: "darn, well i guess I use my "at will" power again and again and again until the monster falls over or wanders off."
Several hours later Mini eventually falls over (out of boredom I suspect)
Player: "zzzzzz........"
DM "zzzzzzzzzz......."

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:43am
Print Post  
well tactically, the mini placement was extremely important...

I'm going to say something weird...

Rolemaster combats are more lively and more fun than 4th Ed combats...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 8:12am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:28pm:
4E example....
Player excitedly: "I cast my daily spell......"
DM: "It misses, bummer"
Player: "Oh.  I guess I cast my per encounter power then"
DM: "Monster evades it"
Player: "darn, well i guess I use my "at will" power again and again and again until the monster falls over or wanders off."
Several hours later Mini eventually falls over (out of boredom I suspect)
Player: "zzzzzz........"
DM "zzzzzzzzzz......."

4E Lvl 1 Rogue example:
Player smugly: I win initiative, because initiative is based on freaking Dex, and I took Improved Initiative. The actual worst I can roll is a 9. Since I won initiative, the shot is a sneak attack. I pop out of hiding and target the monster wearing robes. Since 4E allows everyone to use their main stat for combat, even though I roll a 12, I hit with Deft Shot, which moves me 2 spaces closer to the nearest pillar. Hm, let's see, 3d6 + 4 = 14.
DM: There's a look of horrified shock on the monster's face as it stares at the crossbow bolt sticking out of its chest.
Player, even more smugly: Now I use my move action to get behind that handy pillar. Since I'm a Cunning Sneak, and I ended my move at least 3 squares away from where I started, I make a stealth check to become hidden. Also since I'm a Cunning Sneak and I moved 5 or fewer spaces, there's no penalty to my stealth roll. I suppose I don't need my minor action.
DM, after a few frustrated rolls: None of the monsters seems to know where your shot came from.
Player: I move 2 spaces towards the next pillar and shoot the robed monster again with Deft Shot. Since I was hidden, it's a sneak attack. Of course I hit. 3d6 +4 = Wow, what a terrible roll. I only do 10.

This continues until the rest of the party, waiting outside the room, falls asleep.

DM: Fuckitall, You mercilessly snipe the monsters one by one, until the last of them cries out to an unforgiving god and keels over, dead.

Rest of the party: Can we do something now?
Player: Aw! I didn't even get to use my ludicrous Daily that lets me shift twice my movement, while attacking in the middle (dealing half damage on a miss).

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:15pm:
IMO, this is the part of PnP that DDO gets so very right. Then dev after dev comes along and witlessly tries to remove this element. It's fucking sacrilege, is what it is.

WOTC's entire philosophy for 4E was "we are too niche... too many rules, to big of a learning curve... we need to appeal to a broader audience so we can make more money".

They did this a little with Magic The Gathering.... they simplified some of the rules a few years ago, the big one was being able to respond to damage going on the stack during combat.   I found that a great tactical element that I could take advantage of in many ways, but WOTC felt it confused to many newbies.

The game is still complicated as hell for new players, especially ones that have never heard of the "stack" concept.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 9:08am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:28pm:
And 4E seemed solely focussed on simplified combat and little else.

A good summary.  This is how I felt when I read the 4.0 PH.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 9:55am
Print Post  
I like what I've read of 5th edition so far, which is about half the PHB.

it's not a game for munchkins or rules lawyers, looks much close to 2nd edition than 3rd.

If I ever were to run a PnP campaign again I'd try to use these rules.

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 8:12am:
4E Lvl 1 Rogue example:
Player smugly: I win initiative, because initiative is based on freaking Dex, and I took Improved Initiative. The actual worst I can roll is a 9. Since I won initiative, the shot is a sneak attack. I pop out of hiding and target the monster wearing robes. Since 4E allows everyone to use their main stat for combat, even though I roll a 12, I hit with Deft Shot, which moves me 2 spaces closer to the nearest pillar. Hm, let's see, 3d6 + 4 = 14.
DM: There's a look of horrified shock on the monster's face as it stares at the crossbow bolt sticking out of its chest.
Player, even more smugly: Now I use my move action to get behind that handy pillar. Since I'm a Cunning Sneak, and I ended my move at least 3 squares away from where I started, I make a stealth check to become hidden. Also since I'm a Cunning Sneak and I moved 5 or fewer spaces, there's no penalty to my stealth roll. I suppose I don't need my minor action.
DM, after a few frustrated rolls: None of the monsters seems to know where your shot came from.
Player: I move 2 spaces towards the next pillar and shoot the robed monster again with Deft Shot. Since I was hidden, it's a sneak attack. Of course I hit. 3d6 +4 = Wow, what a terrible roll. I only do 10.

This continues until the rest of the party, waiting outside the room, falls asleep.

DM: Fuckitall, You mercilessly snipe the monsters one by one, until the last of them cries out to an unforgiving god and keels over, dead.

Rest of the party: Can we do something now?
Player: Aw! I didn't even get to use my ludicrous Daily that lets me shift twice my movement, while attacking in the middle (dealing half damage on a miss).

Player, you are not invited to play this weekend.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 8:33am:
They did this a little with Magic The Gathering.... they simplified some of the rules a few years ago, the big one was being able to respond to damage going on the stack during combat.

Well fuck me running.

WotC: No. It's too complicated.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

6th Ed
Reply #16 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:47pm
Print Post  

Fuck Off, That is all

Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #17 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:45pm:
Well fuck me running.

WotC: No. It's too complicated.

This is what happens when the Marketingdroids run the show.
They start looking for "mass appeal" and "lowest common denominator".
The antithesis of this approach is niche/complicated/optionality.

I believe one of things that made M:TG so successful was its accessibility and scalability (being a first mover on concept and scale also helped).
You could start out easy with basic decks/tactics and work your way up to complex tactics and strategies.  Competing games at the time couldn't get the balance right.

IP Logged

Gewerty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:43am:
I'm going to say something weird...

Rolemaster combats are more lively and more fun than 4th Ed combats...

What makes Rolemaster combat interesting is the fact that any single strike can kill you even if it is peasant with a pitchfork against your fully armored knight if the enemy rolls and open ended up and then a good critical roll.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:00pm:
This is what happens when the Marketingdroids run the show.
They start looking for "mass appeal" and "lowest common denominator".
The antithesis of this approach is niche/complicated/optionality.

So many good things are not good for everybody. So many bad things are bad for everybody. A shame that marketing has no formula for recognizing this.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Capitalism's business model is cancer. There's no corporation with the goal of building a nice customer base and keeping it. It's always, "Grow faster!"

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #21 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:14pm:
Capitalism's business model is cancer. There's no corporation with the goal of building a nice customer base and keeping it. It's always, "Grow faster!"

Having studied some Marketing, it doesn't have to be this way.  Growth doesn't have to be a bad thing - but the concept gets corrupted. The concept of sustainable growth should be employed.  Grow too fast and you fail just as fast as not growing at all.

Unfortunately, the modern gaming industry focus is on fast growth/immediacy.

Good marketing strategy also includes sustainability, and this is rare.
By sustainability I don't mean ecogreen stuff, but maintaining/keeping the clients you have.
Most modern game marketing strategies burn through players, but compensate by finding new market segments.  Player churn is considered acceptable, so long as the front end conversion can stay ahead of the churn.

This is the problem with Turdbine's absent marketing strategy.  Most orgns do one element well, but neglect others.  Turdbine does them all badly.
(Cordo's pathetic streams do not constitute marketing!).

They're losing existing players rapidly due to declining play experience (broad subject - not needing to be defined here).  They're losing what little new players that see the game due to bugs/steep learning curve/poor first impressions etc.  and they're lack of effective advertising/promotion means they are not bringing in enough new players to match the churn.

Net result is the plummeting player population.
Undecided

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #22 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:42pm:
Cordo's pathetic streams do not constitute marketing!

I honestly can't wrap my head around how WB lets this shit go on like this. It really is like Jerry and the rest of the idiots at Turdbine believe their client base is 16 year olds living in their parents basement. When in reality I would say, based upon the people I play with and the shit I hear in the background when they key their mic, it is the parents of the 16 year olds that play this game.

So to me it is quite disgusting to see a multi-million(billion?) dollar corporation being represented by a guy in a dirty shirt with someone eating their lunch in the background. This is like a Skype call with someone you know, not the representative you would expect to see when this type of money is involved.

It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, like nobody their takes their job seriously.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:54pm by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #23 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:42pm:
Good marketing strategy also includes sustainability, and this is rare.

It seems so obvious, but when it comes to high frequency traders, CEOs, and upper management, it might not actually be true. Those guys might benefit more from growth spikes and fire sales, as they move on to the next company. And marketing is probably listening to them.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: 6th Ed
Reply #24 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:54pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint