Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO2... why does anyone think this is a good idea? (Read 11470 times)
Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: DDO2... why does anyone think this is a good idea?
Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:57pm:
TOEE? I'm not up on my tabletop abbreviations...

Temple Of Elemental Evil

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Ah!

I thought we were getting that in DDO later this year? ANd isn't that a good thing?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #27 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:04pm:
Ah!

I thought we were getting that in DDO later this year? ANd isn't that a good thing?

Well, since it makes some of the DDO moronboard posters furious, I guess that can be a good thing.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:23pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #28 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:04pm:

That's what we've been told. I guess WotC just went with an Oprah approach to licencing TOEE.

"You get a Temple of Elemental Evil! And you get a Temple of Elemental Evil! Everybody gets a Temple of Elemental Evil!"

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Maybe I'm not a purest, but I never quite understood why the fanboys bitch so much about lore-related things like "the location of the Temple of Elemental Evil"

Why would it's being dropped in the forgotten realms be such a big issue?

Now, granted, I don't get out much, but I've never even MET a tabletop player who gives a shit(and I've met quite a few) Most everyone I've ever met who plays tabletop played in world's of the GM's creation. Maybe they grab some plot elements from a source book, maybe they kip a map or two, but by and large the games have pretty much all been "This is here because the DM says so."

I get that the lore is deep, intricate, and beautiful, I do. But we're playing a fucking video game, here, can't you fucks just be happy that we're getting an awesome piece of new content, play it, and have some fucking fun?

Not actually an angry rant, just pointing out the obvious Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #30 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:32pm:
Maybe I'm not a purest, but I never quite understood why the fanboys bitch so much about lore-related things like "the location of the Temple of Elemental Evil"

I was serious when I said, "fuck Greyhawk."

But really the more interesting thing to me is that licencing seems to be going to both NWO and DDO.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #31 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:37pm:

For some reason that warms my heart more than it should Tongue

But yeah, why NOT license it to whoever wants it? I'm not suggesting make it open source or anything, but if you've got multiple companies wanting to use it, why not? Cashy-money for what is now a many-years-old IP.

Does anyone really think its possible to besmirch the good name of The Temple of Elemental Evil any worse than that one video game 10 years ago already did?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #32 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:48pm:
But yeah, why NOT license it to whoever wants it? I'm not suggesting make it open source or anything, but if you've got multiple companies wanting to use it, why not? Cashy-money for what is now a many-years-old IP.

Because Spider Man.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #33 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:32pm:

Why would it's being dropped in the forgotten realms be such a big issue?

Because they lack perspective and RL's.
If this there biggest concern in life, lucky them.

I love the lore too, but I couldn't give two craps if they placed Undermountain in Eberron in DDO.
Most GM's change shit up anyway - mix and match is the best approach to get the most value out of material (and to confuse players who've read all the source material.....).
Grin

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
gawker wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 3:41pm:
So let me get this straight, we are bitching about version of the game that does not exist.  Huh

This is the vault. If there is nothing to bitch about someone will always come up with something.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
DDONoob wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 2:40pm:
This is the vault. If there is nothing to bitch about someone will always come up with something.

I claim this job if nobody else is taking it Tongue

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #36 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:37pm:

my inner twelve-year-old just cried a little.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

chuky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Nice thread. I would not switch unless I could bring my characters, and even then, like nvn, to nvn2 even porting characters it still sucked.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #38 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:50pm:
..Which of these are Massively Multiplayer Online games?

To be fair, Ddo is somewhere between single player and two or three co op single player rpg most the time.
Even godmode and unlimited gold cheat console !
And once or twice per week it's lan party.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:11pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #39 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Maybe I am one of the few long time players not all that attached to my characters, but I'd play a new D&D MMO/online game if it had the dynamic combat and vast customization of character builds of DDO and was more true to D&D.  And by that I mean any version except 4th edition D&D. 

All that said, I don't think that it will happen, or that if it did that the new game would be better. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #40 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:10pm:
To be fair, Ddo is somewhere between single player and two or three co op single player rpg most the time.
Even godmode and unlimited gold cheat console !
And once or twice per week it's lan party.

It's tough to really involve more than 10-12 people in a game without getting into PvP. Did you ever go on 40-man raids in WoW? If you weren't the main tank, a healer, or a DPS, your job was "download a third-party program to do your buffs for you" and then stand around picking your nose.

Even the 10-15-man raids were largely about as interesting as playing a really slow game of hopscotch. The dungeon crawls basically consisted of knowing were to stand in order to not agro all the mobs, waiting for the tank to get agro on the one mob you were fighting at a time, and then DPSing it.

They had plenty of smaller 5-man dungeons that were fun as hell, but the raids were just really bad if you weren't one of a few specific builds.

DDO raids may only include 12 people, but they are at least interesting Tongue The Shroud never gets old!

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #41 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
The game ages. How many different teams of programmers have worked on the code, now? At some point, just becoming familiar with the documentation takes up so much time that you lose efficiency.

And screw "importing characters;" make a set of Heirloom items veteran players can choose from to help their new characters in the new game, and start over.

People still play EQ; I tried to play some, last fall, out of nostalgia, and I just couldn't stand it. It was incredibly addictive, 15 years ago, but games really have gotten better. I don't want to spend 2 hours fletching so I have 20 arrows to go shoot things with. I don't want to spend 2 hours running across the world to get from one city to another to finish my level 5 class quest, only to get killed and not only start back at my home city, but have to go find my corpse to get my paltry few belongings and money back!

Hell, make the combat system more like ESO (just don't copy their class system, or their quest line, or their grouping options, or their dungeons, or...). Switch to a job class system, where you have to be a rogue and a druid before you can be a bard, or a fighter and a cleric before you can be a paladin.

Why DDO2? Because I have TR monks on 4 servers. I'm bored.

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:55pm:
Hell, make the combat system more like ESO (just don't copy their class system, or their quest line, or their grouping options, or their dungeons, or...). Switch to a job class system, where you have to be a rogue and a druid before you can be a bard, or a fighter and a cleric before you can be a paladin.

Oh GOD NO! For the love of all that is right and good in this world, do NOT copy anything from THAT abortion of a game! UGHN!

I'm with you on some of the rest, though Tongue I tried to play EQ when it went F2P, got roughly 6 minutes in before one of the strobing character names on an NPC made me want to hurl.

Tried EQ2, found out that "F2P" for Sorny really means "extended trial! Pay a subscription if you actually want to play!"

There's some benefit in the idea of founders accounts. I had one for the ill-fated Dark and Light... really miss that game in hindsight. If it had actually taken off and not sucked, I'd be playing the shit out of it to this day and be saying "DDO who?" I believed in it enough to pre-order.

But, really, they'd just be so much better suited to simply fixing the existing game. Its probably the last game we'll ever see quite like it, everything from here on out will be monthly fee or blatant cash grab Sad

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #43 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:44pm:
It's tough to really involve more than 10-12 people in a game without getting into PvP. Did you ever go on 40-man raids in WoW?

AQ 40, Zul Gurub, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, you name it. Long time ago, eh ?
"Raiding" in ddo now consists of 1 - 6 people bored.
Even before, it was super casual and forgiving.
There is no comparison, really.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #44 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 6:08pm:
AQ 40, Zul Gurub, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, you name it. Long time ago, eh ?
"Raiding" in ddo now consists of 1 - 6 people bored.
Even before, it was super casual and forgiving.
There is no comparison, really.

I played WoW back when the cap was 60 Tongue quit before the first expansion.

Did you ever go on a raid back then as something other than a tank, DPS, or healer? I played as a paladin. Back in the day, my job was to hand out buffs.

Oh, but I couldn't just hand them out. No, I had to(as in was required to by the raid leader) download a 3rd-party adon for the game that did the buffs for me.

You think 6-maning a 12-man raid in DDO is boring? Try standing around for 3 hours so you can occasionally hit a button. And that's assuming no one more important wanted your "spot" on the raid  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:50pm:
...Which of these are Massively Multiplayer Online games?

All of them except Warcraft 2 were Massive, Multiplayer and Online.

Its been a while since I played WoW, but I don't REMEMBER it being a Real-Time Strategy game. Not really sure where you get off calling a game made in a completely different genre a "sequel", unless this is some new definition of the term that myself and the dictionary are unfamiliar with...

WoW is the 4th expansion in the World of Warcraft franchise.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the razor wire fence.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #46 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 4:29pm:
my inner twelve-year-old just cried a little.

Tell it to Gord the rogue.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #47 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 3:26am
Print Post  
DDO2 is called NWO. Stop putting you head in the ground about that... It's a Dungeons and Dragons based MMO, It's the second MMO of that kind, as such it's name can be Dungeons and Dragons Onlçine 2 : Neverwinter.

DDO3 will be a Clash of Clan Like Mobile application...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #48 - Feb 1st, 2015 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:55pm:
Apparently the TOEE is being moved into Forgotten Realms (because fuck Greyhawk).

Told you so.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint