Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Show of hands (Read 12352 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Show of hands
Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
How many vaulties are actually paying for the game?

Since a lot of our... "activities", as it were, require premium items(gargantuan bags, expensive boxes, VIP, shards), I feel like turbine is actually making at least a few shiny pennies off of our adventures, potentially more so.

I know, for example, that after coming to the Vault, I've spent quite a bit more money than I would have if I'd never spent time here. If anything, I probably wouldn't be bothering to play the game at all anymore.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

omgspiderz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Show of hands
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Hmm.. I've paid less than $15/month for the two years I've been playing and "own" all the content, expansions, most of the races, all classes and some other nice extras (XP tomes, etc).

the trick:  buy TP on sale, buy everything else you want on sale.  the end..

(Party:): Your party member, Wickedpippi, has died.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:36pm:
"activities",

I am not someone who does said "activities" so I can't speak for those guys, but i have dropped over $1000 for both my wife and I to have all of the content, over the course of 5 years. Just recently she picked up the $50 expansion, due to my patience, I got it for $12.50.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
VIP sub, and I usually will buy some points when it's double/triple bonus.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
omgspiderz wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:41pm:
the trick:  buy TP on sale, buy everything else you want on sale.  the end..

Yes. Spent maybe 150 € on double/triple points in 5 years. Nothing else.

IP Logged

Bacardi
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Never bothered with VIP (after the game went F2P)

From day one i asked which packs were must have and bought them immediately.

Bought TP on sales and secondary flavour packs on sales.

In store items never

MotuD Collectors as soon as it came so i wont be left behind and run stuff with my guild and with the TP left from the expansion i bought all the newer stuff.

But its true that people would never buy Gargantuan Bags,tons of AS,Shared Accounts(ok they would buy that anyway) and some other stuff if it wasn`t for the exploits.

Who would buy Multiple Otto boxes for a xp equivalent of 3 hours questing?

Catching up became easy after breaks too.

TL;DR

Exploits boosted Turbines profit.
Lets see how this new era with everything patched will work for them...IMHO its the last nail on the game`s coffin along with the increasing LAG.

Epoch wrote on May 22nd, 2012 at 4:46am:
I can tell by your typing that you are an uneducated fuckwit.  This explains why you think books are bad.  I bet you think school is hard and you shouldn't have to repeat 7th grade again this year.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Yeah I'm not suggesting any of us are whales, but I figured we'd at least be paying, even if its only a few dollars here or there.

I'm amazed how often I run into people in-game who just flat-out cannot stand the notion of "paying for games". Like "No, this game has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment, I refuse to pay a single penny for it!"

Of course my original question was based around the idea that vaulties do still spend money on the game Tongue We aren't cheating turbine out of revenue, at least.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
With dupping, I had some incentive to run the new raids, at least once. Without it? Fuck that shit. They've been creating content as if grind is the draw. As if the more stupid, pointless bullshit they put in our way, and the less reward we get, somehow we would think that's more fun.

I think I ran a quest last week.

I will say I think the Winter festivals are balanced right. You don't get that much, but it isn't a complete waste. Meanwhile, the grind is not hard. Almost no need for dupping. Make an Iconic monk; jump off the tavern. Repeat until life loses all meaning. Done.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
The closest i've been to exploiting would've been during the cove event when you could plat farm the wands.  I don't even think people consider that an exploit though.

-Signed. Your Local Paladin.

IP Logged

onions
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 2:36pm:
How many vaulties are actually paying for the game?

Since a lot of our... "activities", as it were, require premium items(gargantuan bags, expensive boxes, VIP, shards), I feel like turbine is actually making at least a few shiny pennies off of our adventures, potentially more so.

I know, for example, that after coming to the Vault, I've spent quite a bit more money than I would have if I'd never spent time here. If anything, I probably wouldn't be bothering to play the game at all anymore.

After I got to know the copy machinery I finally could play DDO for the story sake. I could explore quests without being concerned about certain stuff. I could totally ignore grind! I can build characters now the way I want to and with the gear I want to and focus on some past lives only. And I sincerely hope I will come by new methods, because I fear the new way follows TF weapon standards and that's just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:42pm by onions »  

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
I pay for VIP and expansions.

IP Logged

Baddog
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Dropped $150 bucks on it after I found out about duping. I'd been away for 1.5 years prior.

Bought Ottos and the new content. When duping was fixed I though meh ... I'll just finish completionist reusing stones.... and now that is gone to.

So guess I'm out.

IP Logged

omgspiderz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
on a side note.. in addition to points spent, i've also purchased the expansions and some astral shards for the new airships.... and the thing is.. i know several people who are VIP that also buy a ridiculous amount of stones/store pot/etc.  but.. when "features" came about... quite a few of those people re-(ab) used stones, made endless sov pots...bypasses...etc.. :/

(Party:): Your party member, Wickedpippi, has died.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I've spent quite a bit.

I have 2 premium accounts, both owning all content including both expansions. One is currently also a VIP, though that is not usually the case.

I buy tons of points.  Mostly for Ottos boxes. But I'm also in the camp of "if I can't recycle them, I'll have to do without."

I obviously enjoy a good "feature" from time to time.  However I don't tend to go ridiculously overboard like some folks I know.

These features certainly earned Turbine more of my money than they normally would have seen.  Smiley

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
onions wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 3:40pm:
After I got to know the copy machinery I finally could play DDO for the story sake. I could explore quests without being concerned about certain stuff. I could totally ignore grind! I can build characters now the way I want to and with the gear I want to and focus on some past lives only. And I sincerely hope I will come by new methods, because I fear the new way follows TF weapon standards and that's just ridiculous.

This can go two ways.  The grind mechanic is there as a psychological hook to give you motivation to keep coming back to achieve the next thing or next power level etc.
But I think Turdbine get it wrong too - TF and collectible turn-ins.
The grind is not worth it unless you're a hardcore player.

But I'm with you Onion, the exploits changed my perception of the game.
I discovered exploits at the tail end of Dupapalooza1 and only managed to do crafting ingredients, but it got me into Cannith Crafting - prior to that the materials required were absurd for the benefits.

Since then, I have most of what I need and so I now play the game less worried about stuff and enjoy it more.  I don't need to rerun content 400 times to get one item, so I don't burn out on that content.
I even ran the new Xoriat quests the other night, just for kicks, because I didn't care about the loot, I semi-enjoyed it.  I can see how on EE with Champions it would a a laugh a minute (not) though.

The grind is a double edged sword. It keeps your hardcore players in the mouse wheel, but it also makes them jaded and bored if you don't stay ahead of the curve with new content and collecting systems.

You do need something to play for, so having hard to obtain items is a good thing (not everyone wants items, some want power, some just want to experience the content), but again I think Turdbne make the drop rates too low thinking it will extend the lifespan of content - in fact it does the opposite.  People run it to death, hate it and never come back.

As a casual player, I find BTA loot is good in that you can get what you're after and move on.  But it does means hardcore players don't rerun it.
BTCOE loot at least means hardcore players have a reason to rerun content to make some shards.

By way of an example, as I run mostly caster toon, I hate the double dragon raid.
Despite this, if guildies or friends ask, I will run it because I want to help out.  I don't need the scales or phlogs, so happy to pass them.  I actually enjoy helping others out, and without the grind aspect, I don't feel burned out on it.  So duping has helped me to enjoy the game.  For others I know, it ended the game for them.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Ya...no. Full time in WOT as of xmas. Sub is done in March and so am I.

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:04pm:
Ya...no. Full time in WOT as of xmas. Sub is done in March and so am I.

Which one is WOT? Just curious.

IP Logged

Factor
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I have spent about $400 AuD this year.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
See I wasn't exactly "burned out" on the game, but duping really made it a lot more pleasant. I was getting pretty annoyed about not being able to find weapons I liked. I had stuff that was "good enough" but I wasn't satisfied with the way the items looked or how much damage I did.

Then along came the Ruins of Thunderholme, the stuff looked cool, was pretty powerful, and I had just figured out how to dupe!

So I bought points(at non-sale prices) bought the expansion pack(not on sale) and spent astral shards(for the first time ever) on a few stacks of mats.

...which I then duped the shit out of and made more lvl 24 and 26 TF items than any righteous god should allow. I never sold or traded a single ingot. But I collected enough gear to last a few lives and fit-out a few characters. It made the game suddenly fun again.

Same with the stone re-use.

I'm certainly not saying duping should just be "allowed", but my original point is quite clear: these bugs made turbine some money and got some players to stay.

And it seems patching them is likely to make a few of us leave Tongue

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Not a fucking nickel in nearly 2 years.

There hasn't been a single thing worth buying that I couldn't get with free TPs.

Also, I could give a rats ass about cosmetic pets/hair/armor/etc...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Turd_Ferguson wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:20pm:
Not a fucking nickel in nearly 2 years.

There hasn't been a single thing worth buying that I couldn't get with free TPs.

Also, I could give a rats ass about cosmetic pets/hair/armor/etc...

What about prior to 2 years ago?

I'm with you on the cosmetic shit, btw Tongue Lame-ass garbage!

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I had an active sub for a few years, then went premium shortly after 2009. Got 5000TP for free from turbine when the game went f2p, Purchased all low level packs @66% off, remaining packs were purchased on sales as well.  There was no reason to buy TP since hearts were purchased with 20 tokens that were account bound and simple to gather. I had hundreds at one point. Favor gained via while tr'ing netted approx. 200TP per life, more then enough to keep up with packs.

I did pre-purchase motu... fool me once.

The past few years I have not spent one dime. Refuse to spend money on blatant p2w and various shady practices at turbine. Shearly I jest right?  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:28pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I agree e DropBear - special features allowed some people to have fun in game again, just by ignoring grind.
Maybe i have luck to be in guild which is not as far as i know infected by duping. most of them even refuse use such trick, when i reveal them some minor. it allowed me be the good uncle helping other guildies with just the last bit of ingredients they need and maaking them really happy for while.

anyway by daily confronting my view with uninfected ones i realized all the thing about grind (and the grind is awful in my POV) is whether u let the grind spoil the fun from game for u. it s just a game - i can have fun running gimpy flavor builds wo all those past lives and top tier tf gear. and i m happy i have folks who still make the game fun for me.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
oh, and i m still paying sub to support it. however the game is bad, its still unique and i still havent find better in this genre.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:26pm:
Which one is WOT? Just curious.

World of Tanks:

http://worldoftanks.com/

IP Logged