Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TES Online F2P beginning March 17 2015 (Read 7666 times)
DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

TES Online F2P beginning March 17 2015
Feb 22nd, 2015 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Tamriel Unlimited. Just need to buy the box.

Just in case you're looking for alternatives ...

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Re: TES Online F2P beginning March 17 2015
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I heard about this one, I'm really looking forward to it. Still can't decide whether to get the PC version or wait for the console version.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
now if only the sorcs would stop crying. . .
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:10pm by Lehane »  

IP Logged

Scrybe
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
All I've ever heard is negativity about TESO.  Maybe it's just the high expectations that the brand carries was too hard to live up to.

Still, f2p is f2p. Will give it a chance,probably.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
It is not really f2p, its b2p (buy to play). With a vip subscription model.  And of course a bit of the old p2w.

It is very close to the model that TurdBin uses for DDO.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Also I believe that anyone with a subscription (canceled or not) will be able to play the game.

I believe that you can do so without buying the TES.  Just log in and update the client.

Emphasis on believe.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I played DDO almost exclusively before I went to ESO, have not really been interested in any other MMO's, so take this for what its worth.

no tab targeting like DDO, the "engagement" ranges on melee attacks are larger so you don't have to be attached to your target to hit them. it was an easy transition from DDO to ESO.

does not have the build diversity of DDO, but then what other game really does. 4 classes with 3 unique trees a piece, then lots of other trees available to everyone, and you get enough skill points to get everything you could want (all the armor and weapon trees, especially if you don't craft) though every class gets flashy moves so nobody gets overly jealous of one particular class, and they do all play differently.

combat and movement is very fluid and free of micro management. what I mean is because there is nothing on the screen to click your mouse is your look all the time (like holding right click in DDO constantly) and if you have a mouse with buttons on the side (I have a naga personally) you really don't have much to do, leaving you to just focus on your gameplay instead of what ability your mouse is hovering over or where you placed that clicky on your numerous hotbars.

voice acting and quests are some of the best I have encountered in MMO's period, it is very elder scrolls though so you get a lot of the same voice actors for people. I must say though when I messed with FF14 I was shocked at the lack of voice acting and realized I had been spoiled. plus the star power, I love some of the people the got to do voice acting and some are great characters in game: John Cleese, Bill Nighy, Kate Beckinsale, Alfred Molina, Michael Gambon. plus some others, you may recognize voices from mass effect and ghost in the shell.

Graphics are good for an MMO, the lighting is very nice as well, I have often just /walked across the world enjoying the views. All the various forms of armor are pretty cool looking as well, there are some tricks (painted on depth instead of real depth and tassets and other pieces of armor floating around) but it all still does look good and was kind of required to have so many people and so much stuff on the screen at once and still look good. (and it does, you can tell what people are wearing from a distance PvP while you sit up on a keep wall sniping them from a safe distance)

PVP is awesome, when you get into one of the 100s vs 100s keep sieges it is very fun, though often its pretty one side. and you will spend a lot of time on a horse after you die or wipe because the map is so damn big. though there is a pretty large skill gap, some people will rape face, others will get there face raped.

Grouping is fairly non existent, no lfm panel, bad lfg tool, only a few instanced dungeons, literally the biggest failing of ESO and I wish they would focus on fixing it, but I think there too focused on having no tabs or screens to click through to make a good system. Trials (raids) are okay but there is not a terrible need to run them as I will explain.

Gear, this is the reason. In DDO the best gear is usually the newest raid gear, in ESO if you invest in crafting you can usually craft a comparable set of gear for any character. that can be good or bad depending on how you feel about it, Trial gear does look badass though.

Difficulty, hit or miss. you will either stomp content or get stomped, its a very small range of "just right". and unlike in DDO where one person that is fucking epic and badass can self heal, grab everyone stones, sprint away, rez them, then lead them to glorious victory in an epic scene. in ESO you all die and wipe or win without much variation. most trial bosses have mechanics that wipe the group if you take too long so its a very pass / fail difficulty.

Company, Zenimax actually has developers, and money, and has tried very hard to listen to the players and fix things. plus they utilize the test server, they have patched the forthcoming update 4 times on the test server (bug fixes and player requested changes) before they are moving it to live. unlike DDO that just does not seem to give a crap, Lamma land is a preview server not a test server.

well there is that wall of text, though the only opinion that matters is yours. do research, watch videos, try it, if you don't like it don't play it. there are things I like about DDO still, but ESO is my main MMO of choice atm.  Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:47pm by Lehane »  

IP Logged

FuckThisShit
Abbot Raider

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:43pm:
I played DDO almost exclusively before I went to ESO, have not really been interested in any other MMO's, so take this for what its worth.

no tab targeting like DDO, the "engagement" ranges on melee attacks are larger so you don't have to be attached to your target to hit them. it was an easy transition from DDO to ESO.

does not have the build diversity of DDO, but then what other game really does. 4 classes with 3 unique trees a piece, then lots of other trees available to everyone, and you get enough skill points to get everything you could want (all the armor and weapon trees, especially if you don't craft) though every class gets flashy moves so nobody gets overly jealous of one particular class, and they do all play differently.

combat and movement is very fluid and free of micro management. what I mean is because there is nothing on the screen to click your mouse is your look all the time (like holding right click in DDO constantly) and if you have a mouse with buttons on the side (I have a naga personally) you really don't have much to do, leaving you to just focus on your gameplay instead of what ability your mouse is hovering over or where you placed that clicky on your numerous hotbars.

voice acting and quests are some of the best I have encountered in MMO's period, it is very elder scrolls though so you get a lot of the same voice actors for people. I must say though when I messed with FF14 I was shocked at the lack of voice acting and realized I had been spoiled. plus the star power, I love some of the people the got to do voice acting and some are great characters in game: John Cleese, Bill Nighy, Kate Beckinsale, Alfred Molina, Michael Gambon. plus some others, you may recognize voices from mass effect and ghost in the shell.

Graphics are good for an MMO, the lighting is very nice as well, I have often just /walked across the world enjoying the views. All the various forms of armor are pretty cool looking as well, there are some tricks (painted on depth instead of real depth and tassets and other pieces of armor floating around) but it all still does look good and was kind of required to have so many people and so much stuff on the screen at once and still look good. (and it does, you can tell what people are wearing from a distance PvP while you sit up on a keep wall sniping them from a safe distance)

PVP is awesome, when you get into one of the 100s vs 100s keep sieges it is very fun, though often its pretty one side. and you will spend a lot of time on a horse after you die or wipe because the map is so damn big. though there is a pretty large skill gap, some people will rape face, others will get there face raped.

Grouping is fairly non existent, no lfm panel, bad lfg tool, only a few instanced dungeons, literally the biggest failing of ESO and I wish they would focus on fixing it, but I think there too focused on having no tabs or screens to click through to make a good system. Trials (raids) are okay but there is not a terrible need to run them as I will explain.

Gear, this is the reason. In DDO the best gear is usually the newest raid gear, in ESO if you invest in crafting you can usually craft a comparable set of gear for any character. that can be good or bad depending on how you feel about it, Trial gear does look badass though.

Difficulty, hit or miss. you will either stomp content or get stomped, its a very small range of "just right". and unlike in DDO where one person that is fucking epic and badass can self heal, grab everyone stones, sprint away, rez them, then lead them to glorious victory in an epic scene. in ESO you all die and wipe or win without much variation. most trial bosses have mechanics that wipe the group if you take too long so its a very pass / fail difficulty.

Company, Zenimax actually has developers, and money, and has tried very hard to listen to the players and fix things. plus they utilize the test server, they have patched the forthcoming update 4 times on the test server (bug fixes and player requested changes) before they are moving it to live. unlike DDO that just does not seem to give a crap, Lamma land is a preview server not a test server.

well there is that wall of text, though the only opinion that matters is yours. do research, watch videos, try it, if you don't like it don't play it. there are things I like about DDO still, but ESO is my main MMO of choice atm.  Wink

had only heard bad things so far, but after reading this i may give it a day or two at least

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
oh, am i missing something? why to hold right mouse button all the time in ddo?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:40pm:
oh, am i missing something? why to hold right mouse button all the time in ddo?

people don't know how to press T.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:59pm:
people don't know how to press T.

lolz

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
combat and movement is very fluid and free of micro management. what I mean is because there is nothing on the screen to click your mouse is your look all the time (like holding right click in DDO constantly)

Are you serious?

if you have a mouse with buttons on the side (I have a naga personally) you really don't have much to do, leaving you to just focus on your gameplay instead of what ability your mouse is hovering over or where you placed that clicky on your numerous hotbars.

Again, are you serious?

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:15am
Print Post  
yep, ddo is not dfinitely game for diablo three button clickers:)

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:35am
Print Post  
I suppose I should have just said T mode but didn't think about it. and no I don't use it often and prefer to right click because that is just more comfortable for me, I usually play casters and prefer to mouse between all my skills then using the ctrl # to switch between bars (aside from my primary bar that I use the buttons on the side of my mouse for). again personal preference was just trying to explain how the camera works in ESO.

don't know about comparing it to Diablo, maybe ask Munk I know he played ESO and he has probably played more games then me, I didn't try wildstar either. (didn't interest me)
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:07am by Lehane »  

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:08am
Print Post  
i may be wrong but i dont thing this belongs in general ddo discussion. there is a "other games" section

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Looks interesting, though.  I don't say this often, but thanks for the wall-o-text review.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Based on the marketing material and other's I've talked to, it looks like PvP is the long-term direction. So, ya know, if that isn't for you...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
ESO is garbage.

Not garbage in the sense that everything it tried to do was done wrong, but in the sense that they made so many baffling design decisions and sullied the biggest selling point of TES (the lore) that it's simply not worth playing.

Also there's very limited character building and PvP is a big focus. If you're looking for "DDO except without Turbine" then you're going to be disappointed. In all honesty it was a waste of my time and money, and it will be a waste of your time if you try it.

Also for anyone who's fed up with DDO and wants to try out another MMO: why?

MMOs suck.

Play some other genre that doesn't suck. If you're looking for multi-player games then there's plenty of those.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:28pm by Sgtgig »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:28pm:
ESO is garbage.

Not garbage in the sense that everything it tried to do was done wrong, but in the sense that they made so many baffling design decisions and sullied the biggest selling point of TES (the lore) that it's simply not worth playing.

Also there's very limited character building and PvP is a big focus. If you're looking for "DDO except without Turbine" then you're going to be disappointed. In all honesty it was a waste of my time and money, and it will be a waste of your time if you try it.

I'm frankly not the least bit surprised. Sure, the design team behind it had huge experience with single-player games.

And then they focused it heavily around PvP.

It was honestly kind of silly for anyone to think ESO was going to succeed. They stacked the deck against themselves so hard it's just sad.

Also for anyone who's fed up with DDO and wants to try out another MMO: why?

MMOs suck.

Play some other genre that doesn't suck. If you're looking for multi-player games then there's plenty of those.

Not that I don't agree with you on ever point, but what games would you recommend? DDO isn't great, but its a multi-player game with consistent characters. If obtaining gear and character progression are your thing, there aren't a ton of other options.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, though.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:19pm:
but its a multi-player game with consistent characters. If obtaining gear and character progression are your thing, there aren't a ton of other options.

Path of Exile.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:19pm:
Not that I don't agree with you on ever point, but what games would you recommend? DDO isn't great, but its a multi-player game with consistent characters. If obtaining gear and character progression are your thing, there aren't a ton of other options.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, though.

Alright, I guess if your aim is to progress a character over a long period of time in a multi-player environment then MMOs will be what you're looking for.

Dark Souls I and II, Torchlight II, and Dungeon Defenders sort of offer that too, though, as far as games I've played.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:53pm by Sgtgig »  

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
once again : the secret world

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
If you're looking for "DDO except without Turbine"

The Holy Grail!!!    Cheesy

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Marvel Heroes! Smiley!

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:31pm:
Path of Exile.

Hell yeah.

If you liked Diablo 2, it's basically the same game, but with a metric shit-tonne more customization.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint