Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) So Cetus (Read 41966 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: So Cetus
Reply #75 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
My bible quote concerning Jesus was obviously a joke. I don't know one way or the other if he had long hair of if he even existed. The best we can do is remain agnostic about it since any "source" claiming one way or the other isn't really falsifiable. They're just glorified "guesses".

Well, the short hair thing has sources. It's an educated guess, and it deserves credit for making sense. The long hair thing is ... backed up by the vision of the "mystic" who pulled it out of their ass. So yeah. Guesses.

Quote:
Wikipedia is a good source for quick fact checking at a dinner table discussion. It is not, however, worthy of being cited as a reference in any credible peer reviewed publication, for obvious reasons.

It seems like you're just trying to caution us against citing Wikipedia as a source. Given the mouth-breathers who post here, fair enough. But any grad student should know what a wonderful starting point for your research it can be.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #76 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 7:21pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Cetus
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 15th, 2015 at 2:37am:
It seems like you're just trying to caution us against citing Wikipedia as a source. Given the mouth-breathers who post here, fair enough. But any grad student should know what a wonderful starting point for your research it can be.

Ehh, that's not really my experience, I've never noticed any grad student that I've ever collaborated with who used Wikipedia to augment their research. Why the hell would that even cross your mind when it's a given that being part of an institution grants access to an endless amount of journals through databases. Not to even mention the symposiums that are held by leaders in various fields doing presentations - that's actually the exciting and interesting part of doing it.

Just two days ago I had to write a proposal grant-style for a research program in my med school for the summer, for which I used nothing but new issues of journals arriving at the lab every week, Academic Search Complete, Pubmed, and science direct databases to get the caliber of info I needed to actually come with a testable hypothesis that hasn't been tested yet (to the best of my knowledge). Wikipedia won't suffice - it's a factoid repository in my view.

Sigh...here come the "liar" edits.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015 at 2:27am by »  

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #78 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
The BBC pushing a new series and wikipedia are your sources?

Well, we clearly established the absence of scientific credentials in one of our vaulties...

Anyone else?

Well. I actually don't need any of those. It's a very simple logic to guess that.
But if you want to believe in nice looking church icons which changed his looks in time, it's your problem. Keep fooling yourself.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sigh...here come the "liar" edits.

Yes. Because you keep lying for attention.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #80 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
Wikipedia won't suffice - it's a factoid repository in my view.

I don't get wikipedia hate...they are free, ad-free, and non-profit. This alone pretty much makes it the most reliable and unbiased source of knowledge on the internet since this makes them immune to corporate and special interest group lobbying.

The occassional vandalism and edit war do occur, but they are much rarer than people think...and easily reverted by admins and/or knowledgeable users with a single click.

Journals are great, but access is only feasible if you are inside academia or live near a large public college library. Once you graduate you can kiss them goodbye or pay a million dollars a year to subscribe to all of them unless you get employed by a university.

Wikipedia has to suffice because they put all but 1 encyclopedia company out of business.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:31am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:04am:
I don't get wikipedia hate

Same. It's like some retards cannot check source. Because clicking numbers after a sentence is too hard.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #82 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:47am
Print Post  
In academia you are not allowed to use Wikipedia as a resource, for the fact that there is no audit of the information. If you choose to use the links on Wikipedia, find the information there reliable, then sure, by all means, use it, but using Wikipedia itself as a resource is a no no.

Though, in my thesis I did use Wikipedia as a resource, for the word definitions list I decided to include. I could possibly have looked for better references for those, but I didn't feel they were that important, and also a bit lazy.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 6:32am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:04am:
I don't get wikipedia hate...they are free, ad-free, and non-profit. This alone pretty much makes it the most reliable and unbiased source of knowledge on the internet since this makes them immune to corporate and special interest group lobbying.

Uh, doesn't that just it free for corporate and special interest group lobbying?

IP Logged

Cetus
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 4:09am:
Yes. Because you keep lying for attention.

Look at all the attention I've been getting regardless of what I say, when I say it, or if I even post on here at all. Your statement is ridiculous.

Re Wikipedia:

I'm not hating on Wikipedia, Quite the opposite actually, it is an amazing library of information. However, I prefer to look for a higher standard of information whenever conversations regarding truth claims emerge. It's a personal preference, and it undoubtedly makes me more informed than a Wikipedia article despite the extra time it takes. Of course, as mentioned previously, that approach DOES require access to a university database, which not everyone has.

(but a lot of journals these days are going free-access, like PLOS One, and a lot of older publications become free over time - PDF's of many of which you can find through a scholar.google.com search)
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015 at 4:42pm by »  

IP Logged

qweeve
DQ Assaulter

Reply #85 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Look at all the attention I've been getting regardless of what I say, when I say it, or if I even post on here at all. Your statement is ridiculous.

Re Wikipedia:

I'm not hating on Wikipedia, Quite the opposite actually, it is an amazing library of information. However, I prefer to look for a higher standard of information whenever conversations regarding truth claims emerge. It's a personal preference, and it undoubtedly makes me more informed than a Wikipedia article despite the extra time it takes. Of course, as mentioned previously, that approach DOES require access to a university database, which not everyone has.

(but a lot of journals these days are going free-access, like PLOS One, and a lot of older publications become free over time - PDF's of many of which you can find through a scholar.google.com search)

Come on man, you expect us to believe that?

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #86 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Re Wikipedia:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #87 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ehh, that's not really my experience, I've never noticed any grad student that I've ever collaborated with who used Wikipedia to augment their research. Why the hell would that even cross your mind when it's a given that being part of an institution grants access to an endless amount of journals through databases. Not to even mention the symposiums that are held by leaders in various fields doing presentations - that's actually the exciting and interesting part of doing it.

Fair enough. The more specialized your research, the less useful Wikipedia will be. I'll amend my statement to "any undergrad college student." The point is still that Wikipedia is both more useful and more reliable than what you seemed to give it credit for. I'm not going to fault it, or any encyclopedia, for not going into depth.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #88 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:47am:
In academia you are not allowed to use Wikipedia as a resource, for the fact that there is no audit of the information. If you choose to use the links on Wikipedia, find the information there reliable, then sure, by all means, use it, but using Wikipedia itself as a resource is a no no.

You may have missed the point that Wikipedia is not good for the end of research, but can be great for starting it. "Academia" by no means has a universal judgment on its use. At best, you can say using Wikipedia as a source is no more adequate than using an encyclopedia as a source. But if you say, "resource," you are saying a different thing.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:

No, it's just a little to close to the bone for you. All of us that had to put up with you for the last two years, or should I say all of us that had to put up with your exploding ego have seen you do this again and again. 

Careful lad, a few of us know just how much of what you have posted here is utter fabrication, especially the real world claims, you may want to pretend but it doesn't change the fact that you have posted so many whoppers on this site that we can't bear to play with you now.

That's why we never respond or raid with you, you're a embarrassment, a lying whore for attention.

Have a little pride in the things that you really have done, stop making all this fantasy crap up, it's not healthy and clearly no one on this site gives a shit.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #90 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:59pm:
That's why we never respond or raid with you, you're a embarrassment, a lying whore for attention.

Have a little pride in the things that you really have done, stop making all this fantasy crap up, it's not healthy and clearly no one on this site gives a shit. 

Plot twist: Cetus is Thaz?

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #91 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
No, but the comparison has been made many times. They are the same ilk though, heaving, whining, attention obsessed drama queens who will say anything, both pathetically willing to make up any lie no matter how far removed from reality just for attention.

Seriously stupid, sick, liars.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #92 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 3:29am
Print Post  
so much of -

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 3:31am
Print Post  
We already covered that, it turns out it was pot calling pot black.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #94 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 4:23am
Print Post  
I can't be bothered to read all the posts by Hag, but from my experience so far.. if anyone's an attention whore, it's him. He craves attention.. he likes nudging me, as he knows I will comment (or will I?)... and he's too dumb to understand logic, or humor or trolling.. or women for that matter.

I find it quite difficult to communicate with the lesser beings, so I've decided to stop trying. Have a nice life and a nice death Hag.

DIAF

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #95 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:11am
Print Post  
God this makes me laugh myself horse, you're still the pathetic attention whore I see thaz, pretty sure that will never change.  Here is a little fact for you bumpy, you hopped into this thread recently at #82 at no prompting or nudging from me or anyone else. You jumped in to spout more lies and bullshit of entirely you own volition. My favorite part is that you did it after you once again ran off to hide and lick your wounds for several days after we all trounced you.....which was exactly what I and others said you would do. So predictable.

I know that is hard for someone as self-centered as you to see, but you're a total joke now, and no lies can fix what you did to make yourself a laughingstock. Forget? gosh don't you remember what you told us "any attention is good attention" remember that? did you think we would forget that you said something as fucked up and neurotic as that? something that showed just how much of a whore for attention you are? something that said just how desperate you are for people to talk about you?

Think about that bumpy, you willing told everyone that "any attention is good attention", you posted that, not us, so how seriously fucked up and delusional do you or anyone who would use that as a defense for being a attention whore look? pretty fucked up and delusional.

So go ahead and try to deny it, and whatever new lies you want to make up, because all that will happen is that you will get your head handed to you again, and then you will run off and hide yet again, before crawling back for more abuse... because any attention is good attention to someone as desperate and broken as you right bumpy?

God, you are just so stupid, so childish, so simple minded... such a below average thinker and pale human being.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:21am by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:17am
Print Post  
I never miss firefoot. For what is dead may never die!

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Bumpy makes Firefootstep look like a brain surgeon. Just imagine the brain dead children.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #98 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:58pm:
You may have missed the point that Wikipedia is not good for the end of research, but can be great for starting it. "Academia" by no means has a universal judgment on its use. At best, you can say using Wikipedia as a source is no more adequate than using an encyclopedia as a source. But if you say, "resource," you are saying a different thing.

cold blooded bro. Grin

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Cetus
Ex Member

Reply #99 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I want a donut

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint