Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) D&D & Atari (Read 12018 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: D&D & Atari
Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:22am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 6:46pm:
Wow, I didn't realise it was such a convoluted clusterfuck.
What a mess.

And I didn't dwell in the reason why WoTC wanted to drop all the worlds and use a new one for ADD3...
It's as messy as the rest.

The IP for all the settings are muddled ( FR is partially owned by Salvatore and many other, Greyhawk and lots of other stuff by Gygax, Arneson and co, Dragonlance Weiss and Hickman, ... )
You name a setting, there's some of the IP that belongs to it's creator as the loose ends of the contracts weren't tied... So basically the original creator can't do shit with his work without the consent of WoTC/Hasbro, and WoTC/Hasbro can't use it without the creator consent...

They wanted something clear for ADD3... Thus the request for a setting ( yes, they did ask people to create settings ) that gave us Eberron...
[ and it was clear that the winner was selling ALL his rights on the setting from the start ]

Muddled IPs from the 80s and 90s are the bane of PnP games... There's many games that are facing this issue....

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #26 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:22am:
Thus the request for a setting ( yes, they did ask people to create settings ) that gave us Eberron...

It was framed as a contest, wasn't it?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Yup it was. I don't remember exactly what was offered as a reward ( beside your name on the books and a nice check ) but IIRC some books and stuff was offered.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2015 at 12:51pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 4:17pm:
If the million monkeys banging away on the typewriters were drunk, would they produce Shakespeare faster or slower?

I think the Internetz has definitely dis-proven that whole bogus "million monkeys > banging keyboards > Shakespeare" thing by now.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
HiWelcome wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 1:04pm:
I think the Internetz has definitely dis-proven that whole bogus "million monkeys > banging keyboards > Shakespeare" thing by now.   

Are you kidding? Timecube is a masterpiece!

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Display Name
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I think the Internetz has definitely dis-proven that whole bogus "million monkeys > banging keyboards > Shakespeare" thing by now.   Cheesy

we just need more monkeys and more keyboards.

IP Logged

Spector
Korthos Resident

Everybody dies.

Reply #31 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I like FR but I like Dragonlance and Greyhawk better. Oh, and Ravenloft... these would be some nice additions to DDO.

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:12am:
I had the same feeling too.
Always liked FR.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #32 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Spector wrote on Mar 8th, 2015 at 2:29pm:
I like FR but I like Dragonlance and Greyhawk better. Oh, and Ravenloft... these would be some nice additions to DDO.

I like Mystara more than Faerun and Eberron... And I'm like you... the issue is that the IPs for all these settings are FUBARed beyond relief... If one of the IP holder does not want, nothing can be done. Since some of them are collective work... It takes one to block everything...
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2015 at 3:06pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 8th, 2015 at 3:05pm:
I like Mystara more than Faerun and Eberron... And I'm like you... the issue is that the IPs for all these settings are FUBARed beyond relief... If one of the IP holder does not want, nothing can be done. Since some of them are collective work... It takes one to block everything...

The trickier part would be managing the creative licence.
Even if you got access to the IP, the various parties could prove very challenging on how they will allow their work to be represented.
So you pay for access only to find you can't effectively produce anything.

The best chance you have is trying to work with someone like ED Greenwood who has control over much of their content.
Bring them on as a creative consultant.
IMHO, HH is some of the better content released in DDO in recent years.

IP Logged

hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
It's far more convoluted than this.

TSR and Wizards of the Coast were sued dozens of times by people like Dave Arneson (five times), Gary Gygax, and a whole long list of other developers and rules creators.   The general practice at TSR was to screw over everyone and they tried.  

In 1997 (or there abouts) Atari signed a pretty big agreement with Wizards of the Coast for all new D&D Games on all electronic media.   There were threats of lawsuits from the beginning, on all sides.

Atari started looking for a partner almost immediately for an MMORPG, several companies declined before Turbine stepped up in late 2002.
Eberron was chosen in part because it was the "ONLY" active campaign setting back in 2002 that wasn't a part of some civil case or potential civil case.   It was the first Hasbro owned in its entirety campaign setting due to the sale agreement between Keith Baker and WOTC/Hasbro.    
It also was clearly different than the two games already (or nearly ready) in both Everquest and World of Warcraft both viewed as the big boys (even though WOW hadn't been released yet).   

Hasbro has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions maybe) to settle up the shift business dealings of WOTC and TSR to bring people like Dave, Gary, Ed Greenwood, Margret Weis, and RA Salvator and dozens of others back into the fold.  Hasbro didn't have to do this, but they thought it was best for business in the long run.   by 2005 virtually everyone was back in the fold, but that wasn't the case in 2002.

I am fairly certain that Hasbro would never have signed the initial agreement with Atari back in 1997, but WOTC was selling everything they could potentially sell as they were bleed cash faster than MTG could make it.   Many of these deals are now expiring.

Due to the way the 1997 deal was structured Atari had right of first refusal to get a new deal done with Hasbro in 2007.   The new deal for 10 years expires in April 2017.

Atari and Turbine had a very rocky relationship from the very beginning.  Judith Hoffman (The original Executive Producer) has occasionally commented about the circle jerk that was getting anything approved.   I have heard one former Producer suggest that Atari's active hand in development probably doubled the cost of the game and reduced it original quality by 1/2.
Case in point the auction house.   Turbine could not put new functionality into the auction house because Atari declined to approve the time spent on it.   Thus while many games were getting more functionality we have been stuck with the same basic AH for nearly 9 years.   

Atari was purchased outright in 2008 by Infogrames (The French Company) which was hiding millions in losses.

Infogrames went bankrupt, tried to sell off its holding and the latest incarnation of Atari SA was created.   Due to violations in the licensing agreement Atari lost the rights to the games except for the games that were active or in development.   

Turbine signed a new non-exclusive deal with WotC back in 2011.   The new deal for a minimum of 10 years with options on both sides for another 5.

Turbine which is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Warner Brothers also is an issue. Sweatpea Entertainment controlled the Movie Rights to D&D, has entered into an agreement to sell the rights to WB.   Hasbro seeing the ability to make millions in selling those rights (to Universal) sued Sweatpea to get the rights back.   The trial ended in September of last year with the judge highly suggesting that all parties work out an agreement before he rules (he hasn't as of today).   

As far as I know PWE deal still expires in 2017.   

Flav wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 1:39pm:
The whole issue is that for ADD 3 ( and 3.5 ) the support setting was to be Eberron, and just Eberron... FR and the rest were to be scrapped ( or at least left to rot in ADD2 )...

But the outcry of all the PnP people was so heavy that they had to show bring some FR ( and a few Greyhawk ) stuff...while making sure all the other setting stayed in the graveyard by muddling up the IPs a bit more ( which allowed to Wiess and Hickman to do some Dragonlance Stuff, Blackmoor to be edited under D20 and so on ).

Then Hasbro tookover, and the suits there wanted a game easy to transform into an MMO or a console game with easy stuff...Thus came the Bastard Child called 4th Ed.
With Hasbro came money, that secured having Salvatore around, and thus the setting shifted again and was put back on Faerun.
To help secure more revenue, this new set of rules had to have a computer game as well, and lo behold there's that nice NWN IP that made lots of money...
Lets do a 4th Edition computer game... If you remember originally 4th Ed wasn't meant to be a MMO... People would meet in a lobby, form parties there and go adventuring in potentially player made dungeons.

Then the Atari debacle comes in... Atari buys Cryptic, then sell it to PWE when they gets nailed by all their stupid management choices...
Along the way they make the move to sell the Distribution Branch in Europe to Namco... basically asking for Hasbro licenced games to be sold by Namco...
that's a big No No for Hasbro... Said games not being advertized as they should ( really the DDO communication campaign at launch in Europe was pathetic ).

In the end Atari lost the license, Turbine had to settle an agreement with Wizards to keep DDO going, Atari sold Cryptic and NWO to PWE that promptly rebuilt the game using their in house MMO system changing it to a multiplay cooperative game into a full fledged MMO, while dropping everything D&D except the name and the setting. ( and some fluff in char development )

When the dust settle you have
- DDO, that's based on ADD 3.5 and Eberron... A game full of could have been, but that's 9 years old.
- NWO, that's based on D&D 4 and Neverwinter... 4th Ed is not really D&D and the bad sales proves it... ( as long as the fact that it took them quite a while to bring 5th Ed to actually fix the issue )... A game that has been completely rebuilt by PWE when they bought Cryptic, that missed the joint release date of the PnP version due to all legal tangle, and that doesn't really have any appeal to D&D players... And with a Forgotten Realms broken ( once again... remember Times of trouble ) to fit yet another system change....

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2015 at 2:51pm by hyplo »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #35 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
hyplo wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 2:49pm:

TSR and Wizards of the Coast were sued dozens of times by people like Dave Arneson (five times), Gary Gygax, and a whole long list of other developers and rules creators.   The general practice at TSR was to screw over everyone and they tried.  

In 1997 (or there abouts) Atari signed a pretty big agreement with Wizards of the Coast for all new D&D Games on all electronic media.   There were threats of lawsuits from the beginning, on all sides.

Atari started looking for a partner almost immediately for an MMORPG, several companies declined before Turbine stepped up in late 2002.
Eberron was chosen in part because it was the "ONLY" active campaign setting back in 2002 that wasn't a part of some civil case or potential civil case.   It was the first Hasbro owned in its entirety campaign setting due to the sale agreement between Keith Baker and WOTC/Hasbro.    
It also was clearly different than the two games already (or nearly ready) in both Everquest and World of Warcraft both viewed as the big boys (even though WOW hadn't been released yet).   

Hasbro has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions maybe) to settle up the shift business dealings of WOTC and TSR to bring people like Dave, Gary, Ed Greenwood, Margret Weis, and RA Salvator and dozens of others back into the fold.  Hasbro didn't have to do this, but they thought it was best for business in the long run.   by 2005 virtually everyone was back in the fold, but that wasn't the case in 2002.

I am fairly certain that Hasbro would never have signed the initial agreement with Atari back in 1997, but WOTC was selling everything they could potentially sell as they were bleed cash faster than MTG could make it.   Many of these deals are now expiring.

Due to the way the 1997 deal was structured Atari had right of first refusal to get a new deal done with Hasbro in 2007.   The new deal for 10 years expires in April 2017.

Atari and Turbine had a very rocky relationship from the very beginning.  Judith Hoffman (The original Executive Producer) has occasionally commented about the circle jerk that was getting anything approved.   I have heard one former Producer suggest that Atari's active hand in development probably doubled the cost of the game and reduced it original quality by 1/2.
Case in point the auction house.   Turbine could not put new functionality into the auction house because Atari declined to approve the time spent on it.   Thus while many games were getting more functionality we have been stuck with the same basic AH for nearly 9 years.   

Atari was purchased outright in 2008 by Infogrames (The French Company) which was hiding millions in losses.

Infogrames went bankrupt, tried to sell off its holding and the latest incarnation of Atari SA was created.   Due to violations in the licensing agreement Atari lost the rights to the games except for the games that were active or in development.   

Turbine signed a new non-exclusive deal with WotC back in 2011.   The new deal for a minimum of 10 years with options on both sides for another 5.

Turbine which is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Warner Brothers also is an issue. Sweatpea Entertainment controlled the Movie Rights to D&D, has entered into an agreement to sell the rights to WB.   Hasbro seeing the ability to make millions in selling those rights (to Universal) sued Sweatpea to get the rights back.   The trial ended in September of last year with the judge highly suggesting that all parties work out an agreement before he rules (he hasn't as of today).   

Wow...very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #36 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 4:12pm
Print Post  

Go read "Conquest" and get back to me..

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Fanfic/Conquest/index.html

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Print Post  

Thanks Hyplo.
Very interesting to know.
What a cluster.  Amazed anything gets done with all these suits involved.
Big business and hobbies don't make such a good pairing.

How do you know all this background info?

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #38 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 3:20am
Print Post  

TL. But I read anyway. Very interesting. Thx.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #39 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 4:43am
Print Post  
[...]

Thanks for the info... they were the bit that I was missing.  Roll Eyes

Now I'm going to fix a quote for you : Quote:
The general practice at that time in PnP Edition was to screw over everyone and almost all the companies tried.

The only ones that seemed to have been relatively straight with it's creator/authors was SJ Games.
I never heard of an IP issue with them... so either they have a pretty good lawyer from the start that tied all the loose ends, or they made deals that pleased everybody.

IP Logged

danzig138
Korthos Resident

Meh

Reply #40 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 10:55am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:03am:
Fucking stupid robots in my D&D. 

Indeed! What were they thinking, bringing in that 1976 bullshit? I just don't understand why they didn't stick to the first two years of the game . . .

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #41 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 11:37am
Print Post  
danzig138 wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 10:55am:
Indeed! What were they thinking, bringing in that 1976 bullshit? I just don't understand why they didn't stick to the first two years of the game . . .

Because it was so rudimentary it sucked??

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 7:37pm:
Thanks Hyplo.
Very interesting to know.
What a cluster.  Amazed anything gets done with all these suits involved.
Big business and hobbies don't make such a good pairing.

How do you know all this background info?

The problem is not big business, rather it the fact that most game companies are started by hobbyist that don't know anything about business.  (Damn I feel like Sam the Eagle)  TSR being one of the first hobby companies went through the growing pains, especially after the Blumes sold their share of the company to Lorraine Williams.
Gary Gygax sued to contest the sale of the Blumes to Williams and lets just say it all went downhill from there.
TSR set the playbook that many other companies then followed.

I met Dave Arneson in 1980 and well he wasn't on my speed dial however over the years there was lots of Chainmail/D&D and 'Don't Give Up the Ship' played. 
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2015 at 12:32pm by hyplo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint