Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Must-have monk-items for the 15-28 range (Read 7668 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Must-have monk-items for the 15-28 range
Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I think I'm just gonna do a straight-up monk life next. I've been trying to avoid but but... ya know, whatever. It's going to on an Iconic Bladeforged because I just have to have that old-time blue-bar-a-self-healin.

I'm open to suggestions on splash-builds but I'm really just thinking I'll go pure. Fuck the +1 Heart, I don't care.

Anyway, I'd like to put together a list of gear I'll want so I can grind it all out during this life. I've already got an Aspect of Mineral II helmet and a Concordant Opposition belt(so plenty of SP for blue-bar healing) plus a lot of the other really basic must-have bits of equipment.

Please be kind and type out full names, my acronym-fu is SEVERELY lacking(plus, if I knew what all the abbreviations were, I wouldn't be on here asking for tips Tongue)
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:25pm by noamineo »  

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Re: Must-have monk-items for the 15-28 range
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Unarmed?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:52pm:
Unarmed?

Haven't decided. What are the cool kids doing these days?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

omgspiderz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Vampiric stonedust wraps can be nice if used properly.  I could suggest devotion or eternal rest wraps as well.    Frozen tunic is nice to have as well..   LVL 12+ versions, i believe..

(Party:): Your party member, Wickedpippi, has died.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Frozen tunic  = not going to work terribly well on a warforged.

Although... I do have 1 XP rock left... I COULD do a single fleshir heroic life and skip the lion's share of it. Hmmm.

Frozen tunic starts having Enhanced Ki at 16, but that's 14 with masterful craftsmanship. I'd just use Garments of Equilibrium, though, if I was doing a flesh life.

IP Logged

Nub
Korthos Resident

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Spare hand (lv 12 version isnt as good since it got fixed)
Jizzed bracers or arkats cord (does the heroic version give reinforced fists), else guardian bracers
Vampiric stone dusts ->some random holy of stunning
Cannith challenge ring or titan gloves for the recon spellpower
I have lazy crafted guild slot resistance boots of feather falling until cannith propulsion boots and a guild slot imp false life of mod fort belt until thornes at 18
Cove gloves or the cannith str/alacrity/resistance ones

Epic fluff after 20

A positive can do attitude

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:55pm:
Haven't decided. What are the cool kids doing these days?

Unarmed falls well behind weapons into epic levels, just because a lot of the crit modifiers from destinies don't apply to handwraps.

You can make it work with short swords pretty easily, or with staves, although you'd want to splash at least 6 rogue for the thief-acrobat enhancements.  You can do longswords, too, but you'd probably need fighter levels for the feats.

I'm fairly certain stunning fist does not work with weapons, though, so  if you're a pick-em-off-one-at-a-time type, unarmed could work for you. 

Get +stunning items and +exceptional combat mastery items.  Seal of Dun'Robar has +10 stun  or excep +5 (along with +7 or +2 insight con/str/dex and dodge 8%), Consuming Darkness is a better choice for the excep. because it also has seeker.

You'll want Arkat's Cord (belt) or Prisoner's Manacles on a BF since you can't wear the +dmg step robes. 

Black Dragon docent, heroic and epic.

Heal amp gear, since your single recon won't always save you.

Ring of the Master Artificer for recon spell power and an emergency heal.

Deadly/accuracy, of course.

Something with Improved Deception can help, especially if you're soloing.  Backstabbers' Gloves, Golden Guile, lootgen weapons, or you can get it through enhancements if you have access to the Harper tree, although you'll be locking out other Tier 5 abilities.  Better through gear, I think.

A sheltering item, the lvl 19 guardian's ring is awesome until you get to the ENecroIV helms.

I'm not listing stuff by level, and there might be some slot swapping you'll have to do, but this should give you some idea of what to look for.

IP Logged

Pants Shitter
Korthos Resident

I Love Llamas!

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:13pm:
I'm fairly certain stunning fist does not work with weapons, though, so  if you're a pick-em-off-one-at-a-time type, unarmed could work for you. 

2 druid = best of both.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 12:26am:
2 druid = best of both

I knew you'd be here to say that.

Yes, wolf form makes handwraps somewhat viable, and allows you to stunning fist with a weapon.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:17am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:20pm:
Frozen tunic starts having Enhanced Ki at 16, but that's 14 with masterful craftsmanship. I'd just use Garments of Equilibrium, though, if I was doing a flesh life.

lvl 1 actually.. but meh
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:18am by Vendui »  

IP Logged

MisterHank
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:13pm:
Unarmed falls well behind weapons into epic levels, just because a lot of the crit modifiers from destinies don't apply to handwraps.

You can make it work with short swords pretty easily, or with staves, although you'd want to splash at least 6 rogue for the thief-acrobat enhancements.  You can do longswords, too, but you'd probably need fighter levels for the feats.

Get +stunning items and +exceptional combat mastery items.  Seal of Dun'Robar has +10 stun  or excep +5 (along with +7 or +2 insight con/str/dex and dodge 8%), Consuming Darkness is a better choice for the excep. because it also has seeker.

You'll want Arkat's Cord (belt) or Prisoner's Manacles on a BF since you can't wear the +dmg step robes. 

Black Dragon docent, heroic and epic.

Heal amp gear, since your single recon won't always save you.

Ring of the Master Artificer for recon spell power and an emergency heal.

Deadly/accuracy, of course.

Something with Improved Deception can help, especially if you're soloing.  Backstabbers' Gloves, Golden Guile, lootgen weapons, or you can get it through enhancements if you have access to the Harper tree, although you'll be locking out other Tier 5 abilities.  Better through gear, I think.

A sheltering item, the lvl 19 guardian's ring is awesome until you get to the ENecroIV helms.

I'm not listing stuff by level, and there might be some slot swapping you'll have to do, but this should give you some idea of what to look for.

Um, just wanna make sure this advice isnt taken too seriously: black dragon armor fucking sucks on unarmed, srsly there is no weapon or fighting style or w/e that would benefit less from the in itself already shitty black gh armor. Stone heart would likely be best for lvls 23-25, if u would wanna bother.... then onto shadowscale outfit.

In that same light you would say that the seeker on consuming darkness is not something u wanna get excited about. Monks crit 10% for x2, assuming you got IC. 10 seeker therefore comes down to an average of 2 damage per hit, on targets with 0% fortification (10 × 2 × 10%). Unarmed shouldnt bypass a lot of fort cuz, u know, it can hardly crit less: no precision or dragons edge so pretty much no dps gain vs the uncrittable...

Arkat's cord and the prisoners manacles are awful, gross, terribad items. But do not fret! For .5 x 1d8 is a shitty 2.25 damage per hit.

Unarmed's advantage is stunning fist. It should be on cooldown non-stop, stunned targets are automatically always vulnerable to sneak damage, therefore an (improved) deception item wouldnt do much for ya. However the sneak attack bonus items are super neat on a stunner.

I rambled enough. These items are an absolute must-have for unarmed IMO:

Greensteel smoke. Stacking hp/sp but its mostly about the perma-blur and 3 min displacement clickie, this item will save ur life most often by far.
Epic boots of the innocent. Stunning +12, nuff said.
Belt of the sun-soul -> Epic belt of thoughtful remembrance.
Bracers of the sun-soul -> Epic ethereal bracers.
Epic spare hand.
Mythic emerald gaze.
Grave wrappings or even better: stunning wraps with a red slot (lootgen or fuly upgraded antipode) for a ruby of reconstruction 90/114. So you're not stuck with that lame epic ring of master artifice.
As u get the stunning boots @ 27, only then can u smack bitches with TF, without losing 10 stun DC.
Epic ring of the stalker is nice for ghostly and SA, seal of avithoul as well.
Oh, and yeah the ML 19 guardian's ring is the best source of prr until lvl 27.

Good luck, have fun and keep ur rape whistle at hand.

IP Logged

omgspiderz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
+20 heart of wood to TR into a useful class.

(Party:): Your party member, Wickedpippi, has died.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
MisterHank wrote on Apr 1st, 2015 at 9:49pm:
Monks crit 10% for x2

Monks hit for 10% *3, no monk should ever be outside of earthstance.

That's a problem in an of itself though too.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

merciless
Dragon Raider

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Stunning dunrobar ring so you don't have to use shitty stunning wraps like antipode... Go TF or adamantine. Thunderand lightening are junk too.

Some are insane, and the're in charge.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #15 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:34am
Print Post  
already shitty black gh armor

5% damage boost, haste guard, and 10% armor piercing.  Traded for +8 stat, +6 protect, +6 resist. All easily slotted elsewhere.  And you can wear the docent at 15, which is part of the level range the OP was asking for.

Monks crit 10% for x2, assuming you got IC. 10 seeker therefore comes down to an average of 2 damage per hit, on targets with 0% fortification (10 × 2 × 10%). Unarmed shouldnt bypass a lot of fort cuz, u know, it can hardly crit less: no precision or dragons edge so pretty much no dps gain vs the uncrittable...

As Munk said, it's x3 in Earth Stance (the finest of stances.)  And two damage a swing does add up, especially on a newer player that probably doesn't have high end tomes and a bunch of past lives.  And everyone wants bigger crits.  Everyone.  It's exciting to see how high you can go.  He also said he was undecided as to whether he was using weapons or unarmed.  My advice stands.

Arkat's cord and the prisoners manacles are awful, gross, terribad items. But do not fret! For .5 x 1d8 is a shitty 2.25 damage per hit.

They are, unarmed is, but if you're going that way, any little bit helps.  See above for value of extra little bits of damage adding up.  By your math, taking the enhancement to make your unarmed 1d8 instead of 1d6 isn't worth taking, because it's such a small amount, but I didn't see you mention that.

Unarmed's advantage is stunning fist. It should be on cooldown non-stop

Here, we agree.  But what about bosses, or other mobs that are immune to stun?  If only there was some way to make them take sneak attack...

therefore an (improved) deception item wouldnt do much for ya.

Unless you're swapping it in to fight bosses, or combining it with fort bypass (the one that was called useless earlier) to get your sneak attack on 100%+ fort mobs.  Another neato feature of deception is that when a mob isn't facing you, it isn't hitting you, either.  You can decide just how "much" that's worth to ya.

Basically, if you go unarmed, you're going to want as many little boosts to damage as you can get, and much +stun as you can find, and as many weapon effects as you can proc.  If going armed, normal rules apply.

Greensteel smoke. Stacking hp/sp but its mostly about the perma-blur and 3 min displacement clickie, this item will save ur life most often by far.

No argument here.  Blur can be slotted elsewhere, but the displacement clicky beats the hell out of scrolls.  I do have a question I've been meaning to ask, though, the GS 20% miss chance is typed as Smoke Screen instead of Blurry.  Is this bypassed by true seeing, or is it typed like the miss chance from fog-type spells?  Anyone?

The other items you listed are great, and best-in-slot at 28.  But if you're not planning on staying 28 for long, you might not want to spend the time farming them (although some are BTA and useful on many builds.)

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I still like tod rings even tho they clearly suck now.

oremi with flame burst and crusty with holy burst-> extra 4d6+2 damage with set.

Btw oremi henshyn mystic set 1d6 fire does not stack with epic red dragon armors, but the flaming burst on the ring does.  Angry

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Vindicator
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Nub wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Jizzed bracers

Yuck. I don't think I'd want to wear those.  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1