Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DDO under VirtualBox (Read 3835 times)
GamerE
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

DDO under VirtualBox
Mar 19th, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Has anyone run DDO in a VirtualBox?  I am attempting and when I run DDO, I get the login screen.  After I log in and choose my server, I get the error:

Could not initialize Direct3D.  Please ensure that DirectX9.0c [Dec 2005] or higher is installed. [105]

Now, when I run a DxDiag on my virtual machine, it shows that I am running DirectX11.  Under VirtualBox settings for this VM, I have enabled 2D and 3D, given the virtual video card 164M RAM  (out of 256 Total).  I have also installed the Extension Pack, and tried enabling the 3D in that is optional therein, both answering "Yes" and "No" as the second option.  And yes, installing in safe mode to boot.  This is all on the latest version of VBox - 4.3.26-98988.

As for the OS for the VM, I am running Win7x64Pro, all SPs are up to date, MS Security Essentials and DDO.  That is ALL that is installed on this VM. 

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: DDO under VirtualBox
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
You MUST have DirectX 9.0c installed. It doesn't matter whether you use it when playing, you still have to have it. It acts as a "default" for the game in case there's a problem with any later version of DirectX.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2015 at 9:03pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

GamerE
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Thanks, I will try that.  I am having to rebuild the VM from scratch.  So, while doing that I have 1 more question. do you know if I need to install the extra 3-d ability via the extension pack or is enabling the 2D and 3D under the normal settings enough to get DDO to run? 

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 10:54am
Print Post  
GamerE wrote on Mar 20th, 2015 at 8:46am:
Thanks, I will try that.  I am having to rebuild the VM from scratch.  So, while doing that I have 1 more question. do you know if I need to install the extra 3-d ability via the extension pack or is enabling the 2D and 3D under the normal settings enough to get DDO to run? 

Thanks again!

I do not know. All I can tell you is that when I installed DDO, I installed the version with the Hi-Res stuff. This was not in a Virtual Machine though so I do not know exactly what you must install beyond the normal DDO Client and DirectX 9.0c.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I'm always very curious about running games inside VMs(when I was screwing around with it, this wasn't possible) so if you get it running, please share!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ElAndroide
Korthos Resident

I Love ... Experiments!!

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
First of all, I haven't used virtualbox.

At far as I know, the game needs a minimum of graphic memory to run, and that might be the error you are seeing. I think Windows 7 and windows 8 runs some kind of DirectX version on its core, so, if DirectX is not running ... well, this could be a problem on that graphic memory not enough.

Remember to check if the virtual graphic adapter is not the typical 16mb memory.

For example, in VMWare Workstation you can tune how much to apply to the virtual graphic adapter, to, let's say 512MB of RAM video, and with that ... you can run DDO.

If you can't get working virtualbox, try with workstation.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Is VMware workstation free? I haven't messed around with it, just did VB.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ElAndroide
Korthos Resident

I Love ... Experiments!!

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
It is not. But, as far as I know, if you register on vmware web, you can get a free trial of 30 days. You can try if this is working for you, and get a full version serial on google/your preferred torrent portal.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 20th, 2015 at 3:29pm:
Is VMware workstation free? I haven't messed around with it, just did VB.

VMWare workstation isn't free, but the VMWare player is(for non-business purposes).  I'm not sure if it would meet your needs or not though.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint