Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Is it just nostalgia? (ToEE) (Read 10887 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

Is it just nostalgia? (ToEE)
Apr 8th, 2015 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Do I simply not understand how "awesome" this quest is because I never played it as a PnP module?
It seems like a pretty boring dungeon. Granted I didn't explore every single nook and cranny in the place, but I did complete both parts on EH solo (because I'm a terrible player) and I am left feeling very underwhelmed. VERY underwhelmed.

So it it just that I don't have grey pubes and am not old as shit to enjoy this update?

IP Logged

taco
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Is it just nostalgia? (ToEE)
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
It's just boring solo, grouping on EE is pretty fun except for the red alert bullshit.

IP Logged

Kryalm
Korthos Resident

I love Mama!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I didn't find it particularly interesting, no new mechanics or anything to hold my interest. I had some fun running it on EE with guild members but nothing to write home about as an experience.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Turbine does not have the resources to do it justice. This is not earth-shattering news. Properly done, it would have been an explorer area with several independent quests.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Vindicator
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I agree. It didn't seem very imaginative.

The stat tomes you can get will have me running it for at least the first week before the seemingly inevitable nerf to drop rates that come with new content after a certain period of time. If it had good loot, it would hold my interest longer than that.  I wish the devs could grasp what I just wrote, but I am not confident they are able to. The loot doesn't have to make everything else obsolete in order to be interesting either.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
It's not, it's a pretty shitty quest with abysmally shitty loot.

but it's new, and we haven't had anything new in a while and the last update sucked.

Very forgettable waste of time.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:15pm:
Turbine does not have the resources to do it justice. This is not earth-shattering news. Properly done, it would have been an explorer area with several independent quests.

I agree.  should have been a huge explorer area with lots of separate quests.  nothing like TOEE I remember.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 1:27am
Print Post  

Agree with you 100% RV.

rest wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 9:53pm:
Do I simply not understand how "awesome" this quest is because I never played it as a PnP module?
It seems like a pretty boring dungeon. Granted I didn't explore every single nook and cranny in the place, but I did complete both parts on EH solo (because I'm a terrible player) and I am left feeling very underwhelmed. VERY underwhelmed.

So it it just that I don't have grey pubes and am not old as shit to enjoy this update?

Not sure I've seen anyone here describe it as awesome - just the fanbois on the main forums.

Almost fitting your above demographic, I can tell you I didn't enjoy it either.

It would appear that they have tried to recreate the original maps, with no view to the purpose of those rooms.  They've just stuck random mobs in various rooms, whilst most are empty.
Lots of artwork and decorations, but little in the way of destructible objects, secret rooms etc. - so not much to interact with.
Static environments don't hold people's attention for long.

It's big yes, but quantity isn't quality. It's just repetitive and tedious.
Lots of red names and instant red alerts thrown in to provide "challenge" of course......
They really are out of ideas.  This is by the books uninspired content for content's sake.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:41am
Print Post  

In PnP, most things depend on DM and computer adaptations are not always the same thing.

On the other hand, sometimes even grey pubes don't help.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Well since they didn't put in Homlett and all the stuff that are supposed to happen in the area around the Temple, it's reduced to the final part : the huge dungeon crawl into the Temple.

Consider that in PnP what is not there would take as long as the dungeon crawl in term of sessions.... so basically you're missing half the quest ( and the most interesting half IMHO )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:36am
Print Post  
I am missing Nulb and of course Bertram Smiley

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Last night there were 0 LFMs up for ToEE. Also, there were 3 other people online from guild last night; 2 of them only run with each other 95% of the time and the other one usually only runs with the people in the other guild he is in.

Which is why I solo'd it on EH. I went in for a bit on EE, but none of my toons are ready to solo that.

I'm glad to see it's not just me who thinks this update is shit.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Listened to the Ventrilo conversation of a couple of guildies running ToEE last night, it ended with a "I'm never running this again, what a stupid quest mechanic."

I guess I'll give it a shot tonight, see what I can.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Enerjay
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I personally enjoy this type of dungeon.  A lot of the quests you could basically auto-pilot through in the game and does not have a lot of repeat value.  I look at this quest and the Haunted Halls as sort of an improved wilderness area.

There are definitely some "slayer" kills in ToEE and tons of random chests to find if you just want to crawl the dungeon for awhile.

In addition I like that the heroic version is level 7.  There really isn't a quest like this for lower level toons.  Sometimes I grind my toons out as fast as possible and sometimes I like to leave toons at lower levels just for a change in pace and this is a nice addition.

On the topic of the loot - I absolutely hate it when each release at more and more "top-level" loot.  I do not understand why everyone thinks that each update should out do the last one.  If it did I would not waste my time grinding as much.

I am not even sure I want to grind out the tomes either as they will probably put a supreme tome in the DDO store at some point.  I do not need to be the first person to have tomes to enjoy my toon.

IP Logged

Puppies
Waterworks Kobold

"Sua Sponte" "De Oppresso
Liber"

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Other than the +7 tome...absoulute snorefest.

Just a bunch of random ogres and orcs and other assholes packed into rooms that were lagging the shit out of the group last night...just run down a long hallway kill some dudes...

Run into some rooms...kill some dudes

Part 2...lag to death w/ 70 mobs in a DA...run

Go into windy room...jump around

Fight Evil God of Shrooms...get shit

FUCKING. LAME.

"The Quieter you Become - the More you are able to Hear"

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Well Wil Wheaton makes my wife wet so I am stuck being forced to get it.

*edit* I just noticed that is a lot of "w's", totally unintentional.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 12:34pm by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #16 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
This isn't really TOEE, as many people have said.  It is one part of TOEE, the easiest part to do.  Basically, if you took any module in existence and took a dungeon map of a single location in that module and dropped it into a random location with no back story, no real plot, and no lore how great could it really be?  It's just random stand alone quest X. 

To do TOEE right, it needed to be much bigger.  It needed to be Homlett with a series of small quests, The boathouse, the battlefield graveyard, an adventure area, Nulb (with more quests), and then the Temple.  And take some time to incorporate the storyline into the lore better.  Give people a reason to give a shit.  (Those who play the game for a reason other than just character power progression, anyways).

And offer a few really good items of loot.  NOT A LOT.  A few.  If every quest/quest chain offered a few really good somethings that were best in slot for a build or two, that would be a great thing.  Then let the raids provide general purpose gear.  This way, all quest chains retain some value and replay-ability and you aren't constantly invalidating and replacing loot.  That's how it used to be.  But they cater to loud crying instant gratification idiots on the forums now rather than having a loot plan.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #17 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 1:31pm:
This isn't really TOEE, as many people have said.  It is one part of TOEE, the easiest part to do.  Basically, if you took any module in existence and took a dungeon map of a single location in that module and dropped it into a random location with no back story, no real plot, and no lore how great could it really be?  It's just random stand alone quest X. 

To do TOEE right, it needed to be much bigger.  It needed to be Homlett with a series of small quests, The boathouse, the battlefield graveyard, an adventure area, Nulb (with more quests), and then the Temple.  And take some time to incorporate the storyline into the lore better.  Give people a reason to give a shit.  (Those who play the game for a reason other than just character power progression, anyways).

And offer a few really good items of loot.  NOT A LOT.  A few.  If every quest/quest chain offered a few really good somethings that were best in slot for a build or two, that would be a great thing.  Then let the raids provide general purpose gear.  This way, all quest chains retain some value and replay-ability and you aren't constantly invalidating and replacing loot.  That's how it used to be.  But they cater to loud crying instant gratification idiots on the forums now rather than having a loot plan. 

Basically what I said in feer words a few posts above... what they produced is half the real TOEE....The dungeon crawl half.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:15pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
For me its nostalgia and playing something closer to PnP.

I'm really enjoying a DDO quest with wandering monsters per the PnP rules.
Its great that a different set of monsters can show up in an area you've already been through.

I appreciate some of the little things like footprints leading to a secret door....very old school

IP Logged

merciless
Dragon Raider

Reply #19 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:31am:
Listened to the Ventrilo conversation of a couple of guildies running ToEE last night, it ended with a "I'm never running this again, what a stupid quest mechanic."

I guess I'll give it a shot tonight, see what I can.

I wasn't there but I'm betting that was Ant who has finally found a quest his tree build can't sleep through Wink

Some are insane, and the're in charge.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Enerjay wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:40am:
I personally enjoy this type of dungeon.  A lot of the quests you could basically auto-pilot through in the game and does not have a lot of repeat value.  I look at this quest and the Haunted Halls as sort of an improved wilderness area.

There are definitely some "slayer" kills in ToEE and tons of random chests to find if you just want to crawl the dungeon for awhile.

In addition I like that the heroic version is level 7.  There really isn't a quest like this for lower level toons.  Sometimes I grind my toons out as fast as possible and sometimes I like to leave toons at lower levels just for a change in pace and this is a nice addition.

On the topic of the loot - I absolutely hate it when each release at more and more "top-level" loot.  I do not understand why everyone thinks that each update should out do the last one.  If it did I would not waste my time grinding as much.

I am not even sure I want to grind out the tomes either as they will probably put a supreme tome in the DDO store at some point.  I do not need to be the first person to have tomes to enjoy my toon.

I'm glad you like it and getting some enjoyment from it, but unfortunately for Turdbine, you're not in the majority it would seem.

On your loot comment, most comments I've read have no expectations that the loot supercedes anything.  It is possible to make attractive loot without invalidating other systems.  It can be unique abilities or positioned at a level to make it attractive (ie. better than lower level quest loot or rangen).

I personally think the epic loot has been positioned incorrectly at lvl 26.  It should be lower, say ML21-25 to be competitive and useful.  Even this has a problem.  To be running lvl 30 content, you're likely to be lvl 28.  So you're grinding for gear below your level and lesser than TF.  The only valid niche that I have read for this gear is people who refuse to do raids.  Otherwise, if you're at cap and grinding, you may as well grind for TF gear.

As others have suggested, if Turdbine had wanted ML26 loot, they should have looked at epicifying the Earthshatter war hammer.  Something situationally useful and not uber.  Being TOEE, the was an opportunity to produce several weapons like this that do not eclipse TF or the impending Vale eGS.

The caster sticks and armor are a joke.

This is a level 30 quest (ie. End game content), and most of the loot is close to being eclipsed by lower level quest loot or rangen stuff.

I haven't looked at the Heroic stuff yet, so can't really comment.
Except to say that getting ML7 drops in epic chests is sloppy work.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
merciless wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:52pm:
I wasn't there but I'm betting that was Ant who has finally found a quest his tree build can't sleep through

Dead on!

He couldn't get his "lumber"ing ass to the mushrooms in time.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:56pm
Print Post  

This. So much this.

I personally like it, but that's mainly because it's something new.

I lament that Turbine doesn't have the resources for development, because even on a shoe-string budget and a rushed time-line there were a few good moments in there.

We can only imagine what might have been...

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
It's slightly better than I thought it would be when I found out it wouldn't have Hommlet or anything else.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Heh... ran this last night with a friend.. he likes to run with me because my Woof build is kinda insane.. he gets massive slayer counts because I gen all this agro then stun the snot out of everything.. and even if his assassinate fails, the target is so week it dies anyways..

So we more or less waltz thru to the final bitch fight, and she does a kind of wave attack not unlike what you see in MOD from Vol.. it startled me.. my partner dies, and I do a fast heal and then have to swap to human so I can pull a rez scroll.. during the 5 seconds it took to try, she cast it again and I dropped dead. Caught me off guard, considering I'm pretty used to being able to shrug off just about anything.

NOW I understand, I'm supposed to hide behind the sheltering mushroom when she preps that shit... so going to give it another go this weekend.

Have to admit... not terribly impressed by the loot drops. At least I was able to buy back every epic wonder wand I tossed.. LAWL

To be fair.. I would probably do sexual favors for staff if they implemented the entire run of SSI's AD&D gold box games *sigh*
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 7:38pm by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint