Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic HOORAY! G-Land is down again! (Read 8489 times)
CanadianCurseword
Korthos Resident

Vut der ferk?

HOORAY! G-Land is down again!
Apr 30th, 2015 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Seriously, hardware issue my fucking ass.

Quit using godaddy.com servers you cunts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: HOORAY! G-Land is down again!
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Not godaddy.com...

Probably some Dull servers rented from PNAP... at least it would be more probable.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Just to point to the fact that even Leslie, the Uber Fanboi is starting to get twisted panties over it.

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:35pm:
Just to point to the fact that even Leslie, the Uber Fanboi is starting to get twisted panties over it.

No fucking way that will ever happen  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
DDONoob wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:40pm:
No fucking way that will ever happen  Roll Eyes

Oh, it's happening alright.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

CanadianCurseword
Korthos Resident

Vut der ferk?

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:10pm
Print Post  

No shit? Well, guess it had to happen eventually.

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I donated a dollar to this poor soul. Hope he can transfer his toon soon.  Cheesy

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
AllBorkedup wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:11pm:
I donated a dollar to this poor soul. Hope he can transfer his toon soon.  Cheesy

http://i.imgur.com/MYStn0F.png

lol that's funny, I just saw this on motherboard in somebody sig.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:37pm
Print Post  

I am not going to be breaching any confidences, but yes, yes this is true. There are more than just the vault and the MB I get to read his comments...

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Since G'Land is down more often than it is up these days perhaps we should start assuming that it is down and only announce when it is up?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:37pm:
I am not going to be breaching any confidences, but yes, yes this is true. There are more than just the vault and the MB I get to read his comments...

yeah he started to rampage Sword Coast Legend boards too...
sigh, since this game is not going to deliver NWN1 level ( or better ) level of PW playability, it doesn't matter much anyway.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
These Turdbine muppets really have no idea what they're doing!

I was reading that LOTRO devs thread and it paints a pretty awful picture.
They wouldn't buy their devs decent PC's - what chance do we have of a decent server?
It sounds like the mgmt there are more familiar with running Bangladeshi sweat shops, than first world software houses.

They don't deserve the bloody IP they have.

I can see where the problems stem from.  Internally they assume the average player does not stay more than 9 months.
Using averages like this, they will customise their systems and content to maximise cash grab potential in that timeframe.
Things like overall balance become redundant because no-one is around long enough to notice.

Of course, this assumption is also self-fulfilling as it drives away players who are loyal and are inclined to stay for much longer.
Since it went FTP, I guess there is no point arguing that they should try to keep a loyal base before appealing to the transients.
You need to work out how to keep players before finding ways to attract them.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2015 at 11:03pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

The Manager
Korthos Resident

I love tasty ass crakers!

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
KilgoreTrout wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 4:46pm:
Since G'Land is down more often than it is up these days perhaps we should start assuming that it is down and only announce when it is up?

That is the plan indeed : http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1429272096

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:22pm:
They don't deserve the bloody IP they have.

Amen to that  Cry

DropBear wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:22pm:
Internally they assume the average player does not stay more than 9 months.
Using averages like this, they will customise there systems and content to maximise cash grab potential in that timeframe.
Things like overall balance become redundant because no-one is around long enough to notice.

Of course, this assumption is also self-fulfilling as it drives away players who are loyal and are inclined to stay for much longer.
Since it went FTP, I guess there is no point arguing that they should try to keep a loyal base before appealing to the transients.

Agreed, which is sad. When the game still only sucked somewhat I actively recruited friends to play (and guillable me also threw money at them so they could afford to make it better), now I'm embarrased to.  If they made quality a priority they'd both keep existing players and gain the new players that happy existing ones bring in. There is no better advertising than when a satisfied customer tells his friends.

And actually, it's shorter than 9 months. For the last period we had data, they were losing somehting like 20% per week, making median lifespan 1-2 months. You could tell by looking at the decay in logon numbers when they changed the default server. It may have briefly gotten better, but with the recent grotto bugs, lag, and massively mismanaged updates I'm sure it's at least as bad now.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2015 at 3:29am
Print Post  
KilgoreTrout wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 4:46pm:

Since all the duping/reusing happened, Turbine lost lots of money. What better way for turbine to make that money back then to constantly have a server crash. That way people will start paying that $25 or 3k TP for server transfers.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #15 - May 1st, 2015 at 3:50am
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on May 1st, 2015 at 3:29am:
Since all the duping/reusing happened, Turbine lost lots of money. What better way for turbine to make that money back then to constantly have a server crash. That way people will start paying that $25 or 3k TP for server transfers.

I seriously doubt many people are going to pay $25 per toon to Tfr for Turdbine's incompetence.
How many people only have one toon and no guild?

What is happening is people are waiting or leaving.

I don't subscribe to the view that they did lose lots of money to duping.  Dupers by and large probably wouldn't have bought most of what they duped anyway (eg. Sovereign pots).

As MajMal alluded to, they were well aware of many bugs that generated cash so left them.
They only sweated the bugs that affected store sales.
If duping were such a burning issue, why leave it for 6 months?
Sev came in and fixed most exploits in one update.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2015 at 10:03am
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on May 1st, 2015 at 3:29am:

I don't suppose you work for the music industry do you?

Fuck Off, That is all

Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Ghallanda about to be recycled. Refurbished. Evacu
Reply #17 - May 1st, 2015 at 6:27pm
Print Post  

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2015 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Its a hard one to comment on, from what I see the duping did also generate cash for people that wanted items that were cheaper than normal so they brought astral shards, so there was income coming in. I guess you get to the point where the market is flooded then there is no more demand. I think at one stage every color scale was going for 10 shards for a 100 stack, I mean you wont need to get shards again if you brought a heap like that from the shard exchange.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
wogoflove wrote on May 1st, 2015 at 7:07pm:
Its a hard one to comment on, from what I see the duping did also generate cash for people that wanted items that were cheaper than normal so they brought astral shards, so there was income coming in. I guess you get to the point where the market is flooded then there is no more demand. I think at one stage every color scale was going for 10 shards for a 100 stack, I mean you wont need to get shards again if you brought a heap like that from the shard exchange.

Yes, but the Turdbine perspective is the average player only stays for 9 months, so who cares if people have stacks of 1000000 scales.
They will never be able to use them or sell them, and they will simply vanish into the ether when they leave the game.

Take the Otto's boxes.
Whenever someone figures out how to dupe them, Turdbine react quickly, because that does affect store sales adversely.
But stone re-use was left in place for ages, because it generated sales.  Not many people buy boxes at $50 a pop.
But when the population knows there is a chance of getting lots of uses out of them, then sales of boxes went up.  Some people get unlimited uses, and others get 1.  It's a lottery that Turdbine wins because it drives sales.
I averaged about 5 uses per stone, and at $10 per life I felt it was worth it, but not $50.  Each to their own.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2015 at 1:24am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 1st, 2015 at 7:56pm:
Take the Otto's boxes.
Whenever someone figures out how to dupe them, Turdbine react quickly, because that does affect store sales adversely.
But stone re-use was left in place for ages, because it generated sales.  Not many people buy boxes at $50 a pop.
But when the population knows there is a chance of getting lots of uses out of them, then sales of boxes went up.  Some people get unlimited uses, and others get 1.  It's a lottery that Turdbine wins because it drives sales.
I averaged about 5 uses per stone, and at $10 per life I felt it was worth it, but not $50.  Each to their own.

Yeah, what a genius product those are, better even than Pet Rocks. Basically they are getting people to pay to NOT play thier free to play game. And people are. I always wondered if they were the result of a bet at Turbine.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

CanadianCurseword
Korthos Resident

Vut der ferk?

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2015 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 1:24am:
. I always wondered if they were the result of a bet at Turbine.

No shadow of a doubt that it was. Or a social experiment at the very least.. "How many lazy fuckers do we have in the game this month?" Cheesy

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2015 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 1:24am:
Basically they are getting people to pay to NOT play thier free to play game.

So how does this work anyway. I have never used a stone before. When you use one does it like kick you from the game and lock you out for a week or something?

Fuck Off, That is all

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2015 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 1:46am:
So how does this work anyway. I have never used a stone before. When you use one does it like kick you from the game and lock you out for a week or something?

It gives you xp. 3.2 million xp, if you do it right. Meaning you can skip from level 1 to level 18 on a 3rd heroic life or 20 to 25 (and/or 25 to 27) on an epic life. Skipping levels, thus paying not to play.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2015 at 1:56am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 1:53am:
It gives you xp. 3.2 million xp, if you do it right. Meaning you can skip from level 1 to level 18 on a 3rd heroic life or 20 to 25 (and/or 25 to 27) on an epic life. Skipping levels, thus paying not to play.

OK. But I am still confused, you still get to play right? Your not actually paying not to play then. You are just skipping the boring ass quests you've done hundreds of fucking times, so you can do the high level quests faster? Does this mean if you like buy Iconics your paying not to play too then?

Fuck Off, That is all

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint