Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) "Compare that to world of warcraft I dare ya" (Read 14220 times)
Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

"Compare that to world of warcraft I dare ya"
May 6th, 2015 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Compare that to world of warcraft now pelase, i dare ya.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

Just one video with not the most views of 16.433.937

Now compare that to one of cordovans shitty livestream videos with like 2k views at most ? I am done here  Grin.

"Blizzard Entertainment's PC MMO World of Warcraft lost nearly three million subscribers in three months, publisher Activision Blizzard announced on Wednesday as part of its latest earnings report.
For the quarter ended March 31, World of Warcraft had 7.1 million subscribers, down 2.9 million from the 10 million subscribers it had at the end of 2014."

https://games.yahoo.com/news/world-warcraft-loses-nearly-3-201000672.html

Some great timing, I must say.

I guess WoW really is better than DDO at everything including losing market share and customers. I don't think even Turbine could lose 30% of it's subscribers like that, even with Severance-pay in charge. Sigh, poor DDO, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2015 at 9:53pm by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Re: "Compare that to world of warcraft I dare ya"
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2015 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
100 million dollars a month.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
And Destiny, amazing levels of money involved everywhere in the industry.... except Boston, heh.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Can you imagine logging in to Sarlona and there's a MILLION people in the who list?   Grin

950k would be gold farmers though, so...

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
That would be bloody brilliant, just brilliant.  It's easy to forget how great it was when the game had a healthy growing base.

Imagine DDO being able to really afford development, and support.

I'm happy in our little niche-world, but it was great back in the day.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
If even a fraction of those people could be lured to DDO it would be a massive boost in QoL for all concerned.

Sadly, I don't know that the kind of people who play WoW would embrace the steep, labourious learning curve of DDO.

I too remember the days of Shroud runs every 10 minutes and always full 0xp Epic shard/seal/scroll runs...  Cry

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I think if a million people logged onto DDO the servers would explode.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:34pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2015 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 10:17pm:
Sadly, I don't know that the kind of people who play WoW would embrace the steep, labourious learning curve of DDO.

I played wow from the first month until the latest expac made me rage quit when they nerfed my panda to complete shit after a 4 month item/rep grind; I then came to DDO since I loved AD&D.

That being said, DDO is a huge pita to learn and the online resources someone like me comes to expect simply dont exist, so figuring out the game becomes more of a chore than anything else;Thats not a learning curve, its an exercise in absolute frustration.

It wouldnt be so bad if the people in game were helpful or if Turbine didnt constantly screw with the rules, or if some helpful web resources existed besides a outdated and underwhelmingly confusing wiki, but thats not the reality.

I'm only hanging on because of some help I got here on a build thats supposedly an exploit, but was solid enough that even someone without knowledge of the game could survive (that coupled with buying a LR +20 stone to make a viable build out of ths shit I had been working with for two months) - but even then I still cant even figure out how to level efficiently,  what gear to go after, or probably a ton of other things that make playing DDO enjoyable since that fount here dried up.

WOW is dying because Blizzard Activision decided a few years back to cater to the under 12 market base and removed any satisfaction you got in accomplishing anything by handing out rewards like candy, and  DDO died a while back just because the company running it is incompetent and the people that know the game arent sharing the knowledge they have openly via blogs/websites/ forum posts that would be helpful to new players.

I'm more tenacious than the average player, and I can say without any doubt in my mind that 90% of the WOW player base would give up on DDO inside the first couple weeks if that.

I surprise myself every day I log in because I really really want to enjoy this game, but its getting pretty old spinning my wheels and not getting into groups, so yeah...

WOW player arent going to go from a sinking ship to one lying on the bottom already. It just isnt going to happen.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2015 at 11:06pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2015 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 10:34pm:

Ghallanda?  Is that you?

Fail wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 11:04pm:
they nerfed my panda
Blizzard Activision decided a few years back to cater to the under 12 market base

Grin

I surprise myself every day I log in because I really really want to enjoy this game, but its getting pretty old spinning my wheels and not getting into groups, so yeah...

Got a decent guild?  That can help immensely.  Find somebody who enjoys talking about leveling strategy, and you're well on your way.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2015 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Well Fail, I was going to quote you but I'm on my iPhone writing this and can't be assed to futz with the select nodes.

But your diatribe confirms my suspicions of the WoW player base. I had a few Guildees step out and try WoW, they were back within days. They couldn't handle the Backyardigans crowd in WoW's player base.

And yes, you are better off coming to the Vault for DDO info, even if you need to grow a dragonhide to receive it...

If there's something you need to know just start a "neD hjelp" thread in Builds or Guides.

Just make sure you wear your Helm of Greater Shitstorm Resistance when you read the replies  Wink

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2015 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 11:22pm:
Got a decent guild?  That can help immensely.  Find somebody who enjoys talking about leveling strategy, and you're well on your way.

Should have started on Sarlona.

People actually still do raid training runs here.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2015 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 11:24pm:
But your diatribe confirms my suspicions of the WoW player base. I had a few Guildees step out and try WoW, they were back within days. They couldn't handle the Backyardigans crowd in WoW's player base.

I can understand that.  WOW five years ago was amazing, fun , and had a dedicated core on each server of serveral guilds, each hundreds strong (not a bunch of alts either) that was simply outstanding to raid and group to the point that raid nights were a special day and looked forward to.

These past couple years, the old timers are gone and mostly pissed off (yes Im among them and yes I talked a ton of smack about a care bear expac that turned out to be pretty damn fun to play, but required skill and technique to do well with. The kiddies couldnt get to grips with it and out the window it went like most things unable to be smacked into easy mode), so whats left are welfare cases of kids/loners who expect everything good to be handed to them and the game played in easy mode with one hand.

These people are also not so fun to be around and mostly make you want to gouge your eyes out after trying to group with them a few times.

DDO if it had open resources available and Fing Turdbine wasnt screwing with shit 24/7 would be a viable alternative.  I just dont see that changing.

I do have a thick skin btw, and freely admit to being a scrub - i try to learn what I can here and sometimes the info flows freely and helps a lot but a lot of times it doesnt, so its still frustrating.  The occasional troll or douchebag poster doesnt bother me though - My real life sucks hard core, so nothing anyone could say on the interwebs could rattle me.
------------- to the other poster:

Yes, btw, I am on ghallanda with my two active characters and in a guild, though for the most part, they and I dont jive but the buffs are too good to pass up. 
I figure if I stay and eventually figure out how to be a decent player who isnt a liability to play with, Ill ask to join another, better guild.

If someone out there really wants this game to get better and attract new players, you could do worse than start a blog or a website with information a new player could really use - some helpful guides and what not. 

The worst problem is that with something this complex, often you dont even know when you need help, should ask someone something, or are just plain doing it wrong.  If you dont know, you dont ask, then you fail and get frustrated and move on.

Thats the point of newbie guides - to help overcome that before it gets to be an issue and DDO doesnt have any.

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2015 at 12:29am by Fail »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2015 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Fail wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 12:25am:
If someone out there really wants this game to get better and attract new players, you could do worse than start a blog or a website with information a new player could really use - some helpful guides and what not.

You wouldn't believe the amount of helpful guides and resources that were lost when they changed the forums over a few years back.  It's not that people don't want to write out a blog or a guide, it's that they don't want to do it again.

Check out the Sarlona subforum on the motherboards; the High Lords guild does training runs every weekend, and they post good quality videos of the results.  There are still helpful people out there, but the way the whole system is set up, they can be really hard to find for new players.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:01am
Print Post  
I think the few remaining die hard ddo players only play because it's based off of dnd pnp. Turbine could kill the game and gut it and those same people would still keep playing because of it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:10am
Print Post  
online resources someone like me comes to expect simply dont exist, so figuring out the game becomes more of a chore than anything else;Thats not a learning curve, its an exercise in absolute frustration.

so much this.

Starkjade wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 12:48am:
You wouldn't believe the amount of helpful guides and resources that were lost when they changed the forums over a few years back.  It's not that people don't want to write out a blog or a guide, it's that they don't want to do it again.

Good old turbine. making sure hard work of their players paid off.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:43am
Print Post  
but even then I still cant even figure out how to level efficiently,  what gear to go after, or probably a ton of other things that make playing DDO enjoyable since that fount here dried up.

You're epic right? Run Chamber of Raiyum, Spies in the House, and Jungle of Khyber on EN every 18 hours and you'll hit cap rather quickly. For gear, farm out (or buy) Thunderforge mats for weapons and armor and farm Epic Orchard for accessories and you are pretty much set. What else do you want to know?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #17 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:50am
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 1:01am:
I think the few remaining die hard ddo players only play because it's based off of dnd pnp. Turbine could kill the game and gut it and those same people would still keep playing because of it.

Yeah, that's most of the reason I still play.  This was my first MMO, though, so I've never gone through a death cycle of a game before, so it's hard to let go.  So much time spent...

Rubbinns wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 1:10am:
Good old turbine. making sure hard work of their players paid off.

The forum change was like burning the Library of Alexandria, as far as this game goes.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #18 - May 7th, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 12:48am:

Check out the Sarlona subforum on the motherboards; the High Lords guild does training runs every weekend, and they post good quality videos of the results.  There are still helpful people out there, but the way the whole system is set up, they can be really hard to find for new players.

And the constant system changes invalidate those guides too.

There have been lots of changes to mob behaviour, toon development and combat systems to make it a moving feast.

DDO wiki is still a decent resource. Some of us still update it.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #19 - May 7th, 2015 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 11:49pm:
Should have started on Sarlona.

People actually still do raid training runs here.

Yes. They should just be honest and tell people its their first run or whatever.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #20 - May 7th, 2015 at 2:52am
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 1:01am:

Idk if it applies to everyone but this is one of the reasons why I play this game.

IP Logged

Pants Shitter
Korthos Resident

I Love Llamas!

Reply #21 - May 7th, 2015 at 7:02am
Print Post  
I'm more tenacious than the average player, and I can say without any doubt in my mind that 90% of the WOW player base would give up on DDO inside the first couple weeks if that.

Hi Welcome.

I can say in the last year I've personally trained about a half dozen WoW refugees.

This is by having them show up in guild and then me and a couple guildies dragging them along on our TR train and just BSing about their build and goals for a life, power levelling the shit out of them, and dumping gear on them.

One new player every two months isn't very ambitious, and I'm not on a personal crusade to help newbs, but it's more fun to train a new player and make them a functioning team member than it is to rape the same content for the 100th time with the same 5 guys.

The point being, is it takes me and a team of vets about 2 months to train a newb to competence and get them through their first life. That might be why you're not getting the help you need. It is a very fucking steep learning curve for a video game when a proper tutorial takes the equivalent of a semester of a college level course to figure out. That's how it is, and you're on track, you're just in a shitty guild.

We'd gladly take you on Khyber, fit you with tomes and gear, and get you on your way, if you're willing to character transfer or start from scratch, which isn't as bad as it sounds if you're with people who are willing to share resources.

Probably could have gotten help like this anywhere if you'd posted your case at any time here or on the motherboard
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2015 at 7:04am by Pants Shitter »  

IP Logged

Teh_Troll
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 7th, 2015 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Pants Shitter wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 7:02am:
Hi Welcome.

I can say in the last year I've personally trained about a half dozen WoW refugees.

This is by having them show up in guild and then me and a couple guildies dragging them along on our TR train and just BSing about their build and goals for a life, power levelling the shit out of them, and dumping gear on them.

One new player every two months isn't very ambitious, and I'm not on a personal crusade to help newbs, but it's more fun to train a new player and make them a functioning team member than it is to rape the same content for the 100th time with the same 5 guys.

The point being, is it takes me and a team of vets about 2 months to train a newb to competence and get them through their first life. That might be why you're not getting the help you need. It is a very fucking steep learning curve for a video game when a proper tutorial takes the equivalent of a semester of a college level course to figure out. That's how it is, and you're on track, you're just in a shitty guild.

We'd gladly take you on Khyber, fit you with tomes and gear, and get you on your way, if you're willing to character transfer or start from scratch, which isn't as bad as it sounds if you're with people who are willing to share resources.

Probably could have gotten help like this anywhere if you'd posted your case at any time here or on the motherboard

I have never seen anyone help a fellow player ingame. Are you sure you are playing the same game ?

IP Logged

Pants Shitter
Korthos Resident

I Love Llamas!

Reply #23 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have never seen anyone help a fellow player ingame. Are you sure you are playing the same game ?

Get off Wayfinder and join a guild.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 10:34pm:

Poor Ultras 420R... ( at least that's what they look like... they could be HP 9000 Swervers too )

But that's what happens when you're too dumb to take serious measures to protect your server room.
And when you use a nice rack with a windowed door... You definitely forgot that Servers needs to have air flowing from the front to the back... ( not you bark, the poor sod that had his server room go Fireball )

Ah Pook wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 11:22pm:
Ghallanda?  Is that you?

Nah, G-Land is hosted in a secure facility with all the security... no wait it's going to burst into flame.

Now I have it on good authority that most of G-Land Hardware has been replaced during the last few weeks.

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2015 at 9:24am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint