Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Warlock preview (Read 20991 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: Warlock preview
Reply #25 - May 9th, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on May 9th, 2015 at 7:33pm:
just add a kitty and all will be fine

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/98562207/large.jpg

And now I have two heroes...  Grin

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - May 9th, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 9th, 2015 at 10:24pm:
This is Severance-Pay's baby, so you can bet it will be overpowered.

That and they have to sell something. I'm expecting to tr all my toons into a warlock and get the nerf bat across my head in 3 months.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #27 - May 10th, 2015 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 9th, 2015 at 11:55pm:
That and they have to sell something. I'm expecting to tr all my toons into a warlock and get the nerf bat across my head in 3 months.

Warlock can be released horribly overpriced and terrible to play. They will still turn a profit on it just from people reactivating completionist.

Once they realize this, expect a new class to roll out every year.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Cow humper
Ex Member

Reply #28 - May 10th, 2015 at 3:57am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 2:24am:
Warlock can be released horribly overpriced and terrible to play. They will still turn a profit on it just from people reactivating completionist.

They are too dumb for that.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - May 10th, 2015 at 3:59am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454324-Producer-s-Letter?p=5554603&vie...

severance pay quote from march
Quote:
~ We don't plan for Warlock to be our last new class but now we are taking about long timetable well beyond any announced plans.

~ We'd love to do gnome but we have no specific plans to talk about at the moment. It is on our long list.

~ It is unlikely we will be modifying existing iconics. It would be a difficult and time consuming task that would likely mess with existing iconic characters.

~ We'd rather just do new races than new iconics.

~ Fighter and cleric already have 3 trees. We still need to add trees to Favored Soul, Druid, and Artificer to finish their 3 trees.

Sev~

also expect any races added to the game to have minimum graphics alterations to current game

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454324-Producer-s-Letter?p=5557277&vie...

Quote:
Would love to do tieflings. One difficulty is tails are really expensive and adding them with no tails might be unpopular; I suspect there will be players looking upon that unfavorably. The other is the art problem of what to do with the interaction of horns versus helms; do we make small horns that disappear when wearing a helm; or large horns that poke out of helms and let the player decide what helms look good with it?

Sev~

so expect new classes, not races

but i expect after warlock, expect more harper trees than actual classes since one tree will be cheaper than a fully realized class

besides wasnt harper agent on the short list of next iconic heroes that were scrapped?

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #30 - May 10th, 2015 at 4:16am
Print Post  
The quote about tieflings is kinda old and today I have yet to understand if sevcretin is serious about what he wrote or is just plain dumb.

Costly to make tails and horns? Is it a new twisted kind of way of being retarded? I can understand they have to start "from scratch" since it would be a new race but sev almost make it seems like it's a fucking long time investment.

I'll decide to buy warlock based on the preview. I hope they won't make an OP class to lure players in paying money to easy win the game only to nerf once the next best thing hits another update

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - May 10th, 2015 at 4:19am
Print Post  
the 1st quote is older by 2 days
quotes from 2 months ago

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - May 10th, 2015 at 5:03am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 2:24am:

high hopes there for another year.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #33 - May 10th, 2015 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 4:16am:
Costly to make tails and horns? Is it a new twisted kind of way of being retarded? I can understand they have to start "from scratch" since it would be a new race but sev almost make it seems like it's a fucking long time investment.

The most expensive updates are always new animations.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #34 - May 10th, 2015 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 5:03am:
high hopes there for another year.

You think Fernando got it wrong? What was his quote again?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - May 10th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 5:18am:
What was his quote again?

something about them being able to do what they want and people will keep paying. eventually that wears thin and people start leaving. And they have to make the class op. unless they plan on just forcing completionists to maintain their feat. The larger population will not buy it.

IP Logged

Vindicator
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - May 10th, 2015 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Angry I was hoping for more iconics. That doesn't seem like it would be as big of an investment to do than new classes.

Dwarf barbarian, elf ranger, halfling whatever.

Oh well, I guess my newly tr'd completionist will be forced to play through a life that seems uninteresting. I hope I am wrong. Yeah, I'm sure Turbine will do this right.  Undecided

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #37 - May 10th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Vindicator wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 4:39pm:
Angry I was hoping for more iconics. That doesn't seem like it would be as big of an investment to do than new classes.

Oh well, I guess my newly tr'd completionist will be forced to play through a life that seems uninteresting. I hope I am wrong. Yeah, I'm sure Turbine will do this right.  Undecided

Iconics were the Pet/resume Padding project of a dev that is no longer there... Like Normal/Hard/Elite loot was one of the Plume de Soleil Pet Project.

Don't expect them to show up again in the foreseable future.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #38 - May 10th, 2015 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I am such a TR junkie myself I am sure I will end up getting Warlock for something new. There are of course billions of build options so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #39 - May 10th, 2015 at 7:06pm
Print Post  

Iconics were a good idea that was hashed up.
In other words, typical Turdbine.

To my mind, Iconics were intended to be a short circuit/stepping stone into high level content for players like Fail who are skilled in other games, and aren't interested in trying to catch up on the grind to 15.  They just want to play some decent content without hand holding and decide if they like the game or not. Once they TR, they can go back and experience the low level stuff I guess.

They had great potential, even for us vets.  I can create a toon at any level between 1-15.  So I can join and play with guildies and friends at short notice.
The gear isn't great, but it is workable.

The shortcomings were.
1. The balance.  Everything but Bladeforged is junk.  BF were/are overpowered.
2. The fixed class.  I understand the concept - it ain't an iconic if you can just change the classes.  The problem is the race/class combos were quite restrictive and in one case, stupid (sun elf INT based Cleric?).
3. The pre chosen paths are appalling.  What they needed was to get some player advice what a lvl 15 Pally should look like, make three paths (eg. THF, TWF, S&B) and let player's choose.  At least choose feats that are useful.  Give the option to have enhancements done as well.  This allows for both a fast play or semi-customised option.
4. The gear was a little mediocre.  Given it is all BTC and unsellable, surely they could have given +6 to primary stats?  It all just reeks of someone who doesn't play the game much and know what is about right.

If they had that versatility, they could have locked Iconics in as pure class lvl 15's.

But the cynics can now argue, they made it the way they did to further store sales of +1 heart, and sell lots of BF etc.

It's like when they create stuff at Turdbine, they just jumbled random shit together until it stays in a pile, call it done and sell it.

The Iconics concept was good in that it allowed new players to experience high level play.  The downside is that on their own, they would get decimated as they don't understand any of the systems or mechanics. 
But it did give the option for experienced players to bring friends and guildies along on higher level quests to hopefully get the bug to play a little longer.
Now, I like the versatility of having lvl 15 bank toons that can go get their own Coin Lords and Kundarak Favor.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #40 - May 10th, 2015 at 8:42pm
Print Post  

Keep in mind that adding more iconic would mean to add more iconic past lifes. This would increase the power creep even more than it already is.
shadar kai have 3 dodge when maxed (like taking dodge feat)
pdk give you 9 prr that is a really nice bonus if you play a low armored toon

They will most likely focus on new classes with lesser past lifes as bonuses. Wonder what will warlock get tough?

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #41 - May 10th, 2015 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 8:42pm:
Keep in mind that adding more iconic would mean to add more iconic past lifes. This would increase the power creep even more than it already is.
shadar kai have 3 dodge when maxed (like taking dodge feat)
pdk give you 9 prr that is a really nice bonus if you play a low armored toon

They will most likely focus on new classes with lesser past lifes as bonuses. Wonder what will warlock get tough?

Keep in mind that you can only have 1 iconic PL feat active at a time - so no matter how many you get, it would be a trade-off as to which one to take.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #42 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 7:06pm:
2. The fixed class.  I understand the concept - it ain't an iconic if you can just change the classes.  The problem is the race/class combos were quite restrictive and in one case, stupid (sun elf INT based Cleric?).

Morninglord should have been Aasimar IMO.

DropBear wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 8:51pm:
Keep in mind that you can only have 1 iconic PL feat active at a time - so no matter how many you get, it would be a trade-off as to which one to take.

Iconic PLs have an active component and a passive component. 1 active at a time, but the passives all stack.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #43 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Just give Warlock the orb, druid ammo, & archer imbue sploits, and call it a class.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Vindicator
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 7:06pm:
Iconics were a good idea that was hashed up.
In other words, typical Turdbine.

To my mind, Iconics were intended to be a short circuit/stepping stone into high level content for players like Fail who are skilled in other games, and aren't interested in trying to catch up on the grind to 15.  They just want to play some decent content without hand holding and decide if they like the game or not. Once they TR, they can go back and experience the low level stuff I guess.

They had great potential, even for us vets.  I can create a toon at any level between 1-15.  So I can join and play with guildies and friends at short notice.
The gear isn't great, but it is workable.

The shortcomings were.
1. The balance.  Everything but Bladeforged is junk.  BF were/are overpowered.
3. The pre chosen paths are appalling.  What they needed was to get some player advice what a lvl 15 Pally should look like, make three paths (eg. THF, TWF, S&B) and let player's choose.  At least choose feats that are useful.  Give the option to have enhancements done as well.  This allows for both a fast play or semi-customised option.
4. The gear was a little mediocre.  Given it is all BTC and unsellable, surely they could have given +6 to primary stats?  It all just reeks of someone who doesn't play the game much and know what is about right.

If they had that versatility, they could have locked Iconics in as pure class lvl 15's.

But the cynics can now argue, they made it the way they did to further store sales of +1 heart, and sell lots of BF etc.

It's like when they create stuff at Turdbine, they just jumbled random shit together until it stays in a pile, call it done and sell it.

The Iconics concept was good in that it allowed new players to experience high level play.  The downside is that on their own, they would get decimated as they don't understand any of the systems or mechanics. 
But it did give the option for experienced players to bring friends and guildies along on higher level quests to hopefully get the bug to play a little longer.
Now, I like the versatility of having lvl 15 bank toons that can go get their own Coin Lords and Kundarak Favor.

I mostly agree that there are parts of the iconics that horribly implemented like the sun elf getting bonus to int. I agree also that this was another instance where lack of game knowledge from decision makers at Turbine was glaring.

They do help skip content on toons that might be boring at low levels though, and if the class you are pigeon holes into is workable with the build you want to do, it is still fine just to get a past life out of the way. Screw the parts of racial trees that suck. Heck, I made my wizard a sun elf with 18 wiz, 1 rogue and I like him a lot better than when he was 18 wiz, 2 rogue since heavy armor is so nice now, and I can get any trap in the game with 1 rogue level anyway.

Btw, how many folks ran through EE Wheloon after iconics were introduced and thought, "I gotta roll a shadar-Kai and get that chain whippy thing so I can tear up mobs like the mobs just tore me up!"  I still chuckle when I see folks try that.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2015 at 10:57pm by Vindicator »  

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #45 - May 10th, 2015 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 10:24pm:
Morninglord should have been Aasimar IMO.

Agreed. 
But I wouldn't have cared if they made up an Elf species and made it WIS based.  It's not like they're following the DnD rules anymore anyway.

5 Foot Step wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 10:24pm:
Iconic PLs have an active component and a passive component. 1 active at a time, but the passives all stack.

True, true.  Forgot about the passives.
I haven't really looked at the Iconics PL's as was still working my way thru the main spheres.
I suspect the triple epic completionists are already juggernauts, so an extra few iconic PL's wouldn't distort the power imbalance much worse than it already is, and there wouldn't be that many of them.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #46 - May 11th, 2015 at 2:05am
Print Post  
It's not really iconic if they just make crap up, is it?

Then again, there aren't really any other options for a wis race unless we introduce stuff like Githzerai of Svirfneblin. I would have been ok with doing Aasimar but calling it "Planetouched Elf" or whatever, but it's not like Amaunator is an Elf racial deity, so I'm not sure why they went elf in the first place other than that they were already decided on 2 human based iconics in PDK and SK.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

SmokeMonster
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - May 12th, 2015 at 9:56am
Print Post  
It sounds like no matter what way you put it the warlock is going to be a fairly boring class. Its basically going to be a mm spamming sorc build? but maybe not, guess we will have to wait for the preview to find out.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #48 - May 12th, 2015 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
SmokeMonster wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 9:56am:
It sounds like no matter what way you put it the warlock is going to be a fairly boring class. Its basically going to be a mm spamming sorc build? but maybe not, guess we will have to wait for the preview to find out.

This is kind of how I feel about it.  Feels like the Shiradi MM spammer for procs build.  I'm not sure we really needed this class.  But whatever.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #49 - May 12th, 2015 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 2:05am:
It's not really iconic if they just make crap up, is it?

Then again, there aren't really any other options for a wis race unless we introduce stuff like Githzerai of Svirfneblin. I would have been ok with doing Aasimar but calling it "Planetouched Elf" or whatever, but it's not like Amaunator is an Elf racial deity, so I'm not sure why they went elf in the first place other than that they were already decided on 2 human based iconics in PDK and SK.

Yes, #wordsmatter

Divines were pretty bitchin' pre-MotU.  Maybe some of the lack of Wisdom race was a sort of "balance" pass?

But this is more likely:

Vindicator wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 10:56pm:
this was another instance where lack of game knowledge from decision makers at Turbine was glaring.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint