Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Cheat = publicly banned, work for DDO? (Read 10771 times)
Tranquil
Ex Member

Cheat = publicly banned, work for DDO?
May 13th, 2015 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/05/1206-another-word-on-cheat-tools

Summary: publisher checks on cheating, caught top-tier player, banned player, now will also publicly label banned cheaters, all associated accounts banned.

Until just recently PGI, was not in good financial condition and need all the players they can get, but they have made to decision to not fuck-around with this and do it publicly after a couple of years of private bans similar to Turbine.

Very curious if Turbine has the balls to do this, I guess a big difference being that Mechwarriorr is PVP, so maybe it's more urgent for them.

When people search for a poster/player who was banned for cheating it will say: Banned-Cheater where their forum profile pic used to be, and on the in-game friends, and faction lists.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Re: Cheat = publicly banned, work for DDO?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
They don't have the manpower.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2015 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
gumba wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 4:40pm:
http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/05/1206-another-word-on-cheat-tools

Summary: publisher checks on cheating, caught top-tier player, banned player, now will also publicly label banned cheaters, all associated accounts banned.

Until just recently PGI, was not in good financial condition and need all the players they can get, but they have made to decision to not fuck-around with this and do it publicly after a couple of years of private bans similar to Turbine.

Very curious if Turbine has the balls to do this, I guess a big difference being that Mechwarriorr is PVP, so maybe it's more urgent for them.

When people search for a poster/player who was banned for cheating it will say: Banned-Cheater where their forum profile pic used to be, and on the in-game friends, and faction lists.

You were the clown that got banned for cheating, huh?
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2015 at 4:50pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 4:46pm:
They don't have the manpower.

What does that mean?

I think at this point it's a conscious decision on Turbine's part.  They probably feel - rightly or wrongly - that mass banning would have such a detrimental effect on the server population that it's not worth it.  I'd imagine it's sort of like some civil offenses... in NYC, you're not really allowed to have open fires in your yard (like a firepit), but they don't give a shit until somebody complains, and even then they'll mostly just show up and tell you to put it out.

If somebody's linking 5,000 phlogs in General, and it gets reported a bunch, they'll look at you, but otherwise they let it slide.  There's no technical reason why they couldn't take a few minutes and do some inventory scans.

</pure speculation>

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I guess a big difference being that Mechwarriorr is PVP, so maybe it's more urgent for them.

Most reasonable players have a much stronger resentment of cheaters in a PvP game, because the cheating directly affects them. In a PvE you get a few paladins with their panties in a knot because somebody else might possibly look better without being better, but they represent a much smaller part of the population.

Turdbin may well try, but it wouldn't be as much a crowd pleaser for them as it is for PGI. Banning any player is a risk, because not only do you lose the revenue that player would have contributed, but you stand to lose (or at least lose good will of) players who grouped with that player.

I hope Turdbin treads carefully here, but it's been years since they've been anything but a follower
http://thecodelesscode.com/case/179

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 4:49pm:

Wonder how many other gaming forums he rounded up to post his ghost whining.
Gay and Retarded I officially deem thee.
And Hi Welcome.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 5:33pm:
In a PvE you get a few paladins with their panties in a knot because somebody else might possibly look better without being better, but they represent a much smaller part of the population.

it's so pointless.  fair drama though.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Tranquil
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2015 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 4:49pm:

You are incorrect.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Your boobies is a pile of stupid WGAF? For that, I despise you.

However, your avatar is callous, pathological WGAF. Nice.

Edited:
Wow. Can't believe I forgot. First post.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2015 at 7:14pm by Revaulting »  

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Tranquil
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 5:33pm:
Most reasonable players have a much stronger resentment of cheaters in a PvP game, because the cheating directly affects them. In a PvE you get a few paladins with their panties in a knot because somebody else might possibly look better without being better, but they represent a much smaller part of the population.

Turdbin may well try, but it wouldn't be as much a crowd pleaser for them as it is for PGI. Banning any player is a risk, because not only do you lose the revenue that player would have contributed, but you stand to lose (or at least lose good will of) players who grouped with that player.

I hope Turdbin treads carefully here, but it's been years since they've been anything but a follower
http://thecodelesscode.com/case/179

And Mechwarrior has actually rankings of a sort, so that combined with pvp can make for some very angry players.

Additionally Bloomberg's reported last summer that Mechwarrior players spend more on a individual basis on the  'F2P' game then any other non-mobile F2P game in the market (which is remarkable considering the long list of failed stated goals). The fanaticism of MW players makes D&D fans look rather calm and restrained.

The irony being that it's much more of a whining issue among DDO, not that red hot fury at being beaten by a "cheater" yet Turbine is unlikely to touch it with a ten-foot pole.

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2015 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
DDO is not PvP brah.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2015 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 5:04pm:
What does that mean?

It seems to me that if they were going to go for some type of "public shaming," at least from what I have seen on G-Land, It would take 1000 man hours just to get started. It is the main reason I never felt the need to dupe anything. If I needed something, fuck all I had to do was ask in any fucking group if anyone had an extra xxxx, wait an hour and run to the mailbox.

Fuck Off, That is all

Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2015 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I don't know, it seems to me like it would be a win-win situation. You get labeled as Cheater which is a pretty cool forum title, and you permanently lose access to the official forums.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2015 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
gumba wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 7:12pm:
The fanaticism of MW players makes D&D fans look rather calm and restrained.

LMAO! Always nice to know I'm not the craziest crazy on the block  Grin

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2015 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Turdbine is certainly considering it.
Cordo even floated the idea here.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1431331731

We all know the difference between PvP and PvE, unfortunately the muppets running Turdbine don't.
And with their consistently stupid PR decisions (Extreme Prejudice!!!) + Severance_Pay's arrogance, you know this will eventually happen.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2015 at 12:34am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Tranquil
Ex Member

Reply #15 - May 13th, 2015 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 8:07pm:
I don't know, it seems to me like it would be a win-win situation. You get labeled as Cheater which is a pretty cool forum title, and you permanently lose access to the official forums.

They lose the access to the forums and get labeled Banned  Cheater on forum profiles, yes.

But they also lose their playing account, including all associated playing accounts, and those accounts are still searchable in-game, via-PM, on factions lists, where they are publicly labeled "Banned Cheater" meaning that it lives on, as long the game lives on.

For instance when someone thinks, hey I wonder how my old lancemate Frank the Ferret in the FRR is doing? and then looks him up? it will still list Frank but it will also list that he is "Banned Cheater".  So merc groups will have any busted cheaters listed publicly on their forums and in game musters.

Pretty big step away from the "never speak of cheating" rules they had and that Turbine still has.

See the difference from what you are suggesting is a win-win? You may think it's a hoot and start a new pilot on a new account, but you will have to drop cash (lots in MWO), build up pilot ranks (same), and all your old dropping buddies might not be keen to have you around anymore.

Russ Bullock owner and chief pilot of PGI is a terrible human being, barely passable coder, incompetent businessman, transparently dishonest PR man, but in spite of all those flaws he has Balls the size of watermelons, he just doesn't give a fuck, or thought to future consequences.

The fact that he has made a insane amount of money in the past three years even while his company has been publicly shamed and roasted by it's customer base for failing again and again practically guarantees he feels free to act like this.

Personally I don't know how I feel about the Public posting and shaming of cheaters, in MWO or DDO. But I am very interested in the process and how different kinds of companies handle it.

And PGI and Turbine are in the same field and have the same type of niche costumer base yet are so different, which makes it really interesting.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2015 at 9:17pm by »  

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - May 13th, 2015 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Way to not pick a side. "oh look here is some drama that has nothing to do with moi, isn't it interesting?". 

Whatever.

IP Logged

Tranquil
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 13th, 2015 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I should apologize for being interested in something and posting about it because I thought others might be as well?

Me, I don't have immediate answers, and opinions about everything, it takes me a while to a get those, pesky thinking and all.

I know it must be boring to know it all, thanks for your patience.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2015 at 11:30pm by »  

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 14th, 2015 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I totally thought the title meant that the biggest cheater in DDO now works for the company as a dev.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - May 14th, 2015 at 12:37am
Print Post  
gumba wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 11:28pm:
I should apologize for being interested in something and posting about it because I thought others might be as well?

Yes. After all, it's your fault.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 14th, 2015 at 12:39am
Print Post  

Me, I don't have immediate answers, and opinions about everything, it takes me a while to a get those, pesky thinking and all.

Fair point.

I was being dickish reflexively. I apologize.

Welcome, you will do fine here.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #21 - May 14th, 2015 at 12:43am
Print Post  

Out of curiosity at your curiosity....

So Tranquil is a brand new sock account created today and your 1st post on the Vault is about this subject in MWO.

You're either regular who created this sock for this posting, which is unlikely as you've taken the time to select an appropriate avatar pic and quirky little description.  Most socks don't attract that much effort.

Or you're not a regular, and just happened to stumble onto this website and start a discussion about bannings in MWO and the relevance to DDO (which is virtually none).  Wow, what an amazing coincidence and so soon after Cordo floated the idea.

Your post has been carefully scripted, it is not a thought bubble.  You references and assertions are well thought out and researched.
Your response to Sasha indicates a very deep knowledge of the subject matter, like someone in the industry.  I've never even heard of Russ Bullock, yet you know him like he is your neighbor.  I've played DDO since the start and I have never known or cared who the head of Turdbine is.

Also, your OP starts with a summary, has the correct spelling and prose (very non Vault-like) and even contains a few swear words to help resonate with the natives here. 
Your subsequent responses are formal and polite, but firm and no-nonsense tolerated.

Me thinks sir you have another agenda.
Were you hoping to stir up a shit storm and make the Vaulties fearful and froth at the mouth?  Or you just came by for a chat with a bunch of cheaters?

gumba wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 9:10pm:
Personally I don't know how I feel about the Public posting and shaming of cheaters, in MWO or DDO. But I am very interested in the process and how different kinds of companies handle it.

Why?  Are you studying the psychology of gamers who cheat?  Do you work for a game company and seeking insight how to stop cheating?

gumba wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 9:10pm:
And PGI and Turbine are in the same field and have the same type of niche costumer base yet are so different, which makes it really interesting. 

As most have said, it's the small differences that make the difference.
PvP and PvE are two different psychological beasts in the eyes of most consumers.
Given your knowledge of everything around this, me thinks you already know the answers you are looking for.
So why are you really here?
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2015 at 12:44am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #22 - May 14th, 2015 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on May 14th, 2015 at 12:39am:
Welcome, you will do fine here, as target practice.

FTFY, because the passive aggressive, "poor me," goes over so well here.

Fuck Off, That is all

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #23 - May 14th, 2015 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Cheat = publicly banned, work for DDO?

No.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #24 - May 14th, 2015 at 3:39am
Print Post  
*shrug*  Go for it.  It'd be like kicking all the Mexicans out of America.  Oops, there goes your agricultural industry.

What's a cheater in DDO?  Somebody who duped?  Somebody who got a duped augment from somebody else without knowing?  Somebody who got a duped augment from somebody else without asking where it came from?  Somebody who ran Crucible when the XP was borked?  Somebody who stands on a ledge to kill Karas?  Druid builds?  KTA + whatever?

Who Cares is right in that respect.  If you want to wipe out all of those people, you're not going to have anybody left.

Query: if the number of people complaining about cheaters is fewer than the number of people cheating, what do you do?

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint