Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Magical damage in Epic (Read 2256 times)
Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Magical damage in Epic
Jun 7th, 2015 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
We're thinking about some possible changes for casting in epic levels. This could potentially come as soon as Update 26, though that's not certain.

In short: We think caster damage should scale better during Epic levels. For this scope of change, we're focusing on damage.

We're aware that DC/saves are always a tricky issue we need to keep our eye on. We probably can't make strong changes re: DC/saves in the near term, whereas we might have some things we're comfortable doing relating to damage. A thread for another day.

Here's some concrete changes we're considering:
  • Each Epic Level now provides +1 Caster Level for all spells.
  • Epic Destinies no longer provide bonuses to Caster Levels. (We may revisit some Epic Destinies in the future.)

These two changes increase some end game casting abilities and free players to play in their preferred destiny, rather than being locked into a sphere. This does potentially reduce the power of casters who are (1) currently active in the appropriate sphere, (2) have finished their active destiny, and (3) are below level 25. This is also a change that has been brought up by players in the past.

New proposed Epic Feats:
Epic Spell Critical Damage I (name subject to change)

• Passive
  • +20% Critical Damage with Spells
  • Requires: Level 21, ability to cast spells (Wizard 1 or Paladin 4, etc.)

Epic Spell Critical Damage II (name subject to change)

• Passive
  • +20% Critical Damage with Spells
  • Requires: Epic Spell Critical Damage I

This may require giving up some other feats if you want to focus on maximizing damage with your existing spells. We'll keep tabs on how casting performs in the future and may make additional adjustments. We're still considering many aspects of these feats, including the requirements. One or both of these could require use of a level 26 or level 28 feat slot, instead of level 21 - being in Epic is the minimum for this consideration.

We have some other ideas ideas mind for future changes, possibly coinciding with level 30, which may affect things such as Maximum Caster Levels, closer examination of DCs and saving throws, or further balance in Epic Destinies themselves. We're confident that the above proposed changes are a positive direction for DDO, that also don't meaningfully restrict future design options and goals. We don't expect these changes are the end of the conversation, but rather a safe and strong beginning.

Your thoughts, feelings, hardcore data and ideas are welcome!

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Magical damage in Epic
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 5:35am
Print Post  
That is awesome for heavy multiclassing, but on a pure/mostly pure caster almost all of your spells are capped anyway.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Maybe that's the plan (or lack of). Roll Eyes

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 10:37am
Print Post  
From the same thread:

"As stated, this would not be touching maximum caster levels. That's something we might look at in the future but not for this change, which is mostly moving the existing buffs from Epic Destinies into Epic Levels, which seems like a clear win at this time."

He's an idiot. Most spells cap at less than 20, what's the point of raising CL? It's MCL that needs to get looked at, especially when the cap's going to be 30 soon.

Also, as far as I recall, caster levels from EDs did not add to your spell pen score. Did this get fixed and I just didn't notice, or are there more idiots on the Motherboard than the Special Olympics?
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2015 at 10:48am by WeHaveLived »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
The problem with the proposed feats is that they are vastly superior to any other option.  It really doesn't give much choice for which epic feats casters can take, because 2 of 3 the feats will be locked in.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
It doesn't adress two main problems either.
3/4 of of spells are not worth using, healing or cc are not needed, buffs are umded or on gear.
Same old Energy Burst plus destiny stuff and helpless or shiradi casting.
How idiotic is to play for example divine caster with million past lives and best gear, and your best option is still Ruin/1 destiny aoe/2 destiny aoe/epic feat aoe.
No reason to bring a wizard or cleric into toee or any raid over blitzer barb or mechanic. Not a single one.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
That's fine, as long as there is some caster representation.  And I think they might want to take a look at artis and caster druids before they get to wizards and clerics though lol.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 10:37am:
From the same thread:

"As stated, this would not be touching maximum caster levels. That's something we might look at in the future but not for this change, which is mostly moving the existing buffs from Epic Destinies into Epic Levels, which seems like a clear win at this time."

He's an idiot. Most spells cap at less than 20, what's the point of raising CL? It's MCL that needs to get looked at, especially when the cap's going to be 30 soon.

Also, as far as I recall, caster levels from EDs did not add to your spell pen score. Did this get fixed and I just didn't notice, or are there more idiots on the Motherboard than the Special Olympics?

I mistakenly assumed they would look at both - how can they look at one in isolation?

As someone here mentioned, the only toons to benefit will be multis.
They're pimping it like it is some big thing, when it makes SFA difference to most.

who believes they're doing this for player's sake?

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Varg is trying to do a little resume padding.

Or it's just another push to make all toons pretty much the same multiclass herd beasts.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 12:13am
Print Post  
I'm glad other people saw the same thing as I did...

I read through that post several times to make sure I wasn't missing something, because it just seemed like the net benefit was just the addition of two new "must have" epic caster feats.

It's times like this I'm thankful I don't run Epic casters.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 12:18am
Print Post  
End of fiscal quarter looms:

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 5:00am
Print Post  
I'M A PEOPLE PERSON!!!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint