Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO Is Great in spite of 6 years of Turbine (Read 13174 times)
OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

DDO Is Great in spite of 6 years of Turbine
Jun 20th, 2015 at 10:46am
Print Post  
But it's less and less compelling to log in and play.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to play DDO or watch an episode of Banacek.

This thread was originally posted in Sunshine and Butterflies.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2015 at 12:37pm by OldCoaly »  

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Re: DDO Is Great in spite of 6 years of Turbine
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:05am
Print Post  
ibtl

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  

It's weird, but there's one thing that keeps me away from returning, and that's the amount of shit in the game nowadays. By that, I mean shit that goes in your bag. Every time I've returned to try things out, I run one low level quest and my fucking inventory is absolutely cluttered with shit.

Yes, obviously, I know about bags. I know they've added bags for a lot of the shit. The thing is, they already had more than enough shit in the game. I have a mule devoted entirely to storing all of those mushrooms and candles and related bullshit.

Inventory tetris was barely manageable when I left 5 years ago. Anytime I've dipped my toes in the water since, I'm quickly reminded of how much worse it has gotten. Games post-DDO have figured out that inventory tetris isn't fun - most have tradeskill bags that hold incredible amounts of crap, just to keep the player engaged.

I'm sure DDO has a lot of other problems too - they always have - but this one is a major turn-off to a returning player. I can only imagine it's an even bigger turn-off for people trying out the game. If people still do that, of course.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:05am:
ibtl

spat coffee, cum and other bodily fluids  Smiley

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:39am:
It's weird, but there's one thing that keeps me away from returning, and that's the amount of shit in the game nowadays. By that, I mean shit that goes in your bag. Every time I've returned to try things out, I run one low level quest and my fucking inventory is absolutely cluttered with shit.

That's part of it.  I have stacks of bags full of thousands of ings I collected in a cycle like this -

'I really want this thing!'
Hours or days later - 'this thing so isn't worth the grinding!'
Even with duping most of its too much work to bother with for the reward.

Inventory tetris was barely manageable when I left 5 years ago.

Was seriously considering returning but was left with the option of either dealing with the hellish nightmare that is inventory management with TRing my main toon or dealing with the hellish nightmare of either grouping or running all quest three times to build up a new toon (since I'm so not going back to VIP).

I'm sure DDO has a lot of other problems too

Shouldn't surprise me anymore because it happens every time I come back - but the curve of adjusting to the graphics gets a little harder every year.  Logged back in when they released Warlocks seriously intending to get back in the swing of things but...man...after playing Skyrim and SRIV, dealing with DDO's not so great even when it was new graphics is just too much of a step down for me.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 12:05pm
Print Post  

Yes, obviously, I know about bags. I know they've added bags for a lot of the shit. The thing is, they already had more than enough shit in the game. I have a mule devoted entirely to storing all of those mushrooms and candles and related bullshit.

Inventory tetris was barely manageable when I left 5 years ago. Anytime I've dipped my toes in the water since, I'm quickly reminded of how much worse it has gotten. Games post-DDO have figured out that inventory tetris isn't fun - most have tradeskill bags that hold incredible amounts of crap, just to keep the player engaged.

I'm sure DDO has a lot of other problems too - they always have - but this one is a major turn-off to a returning player. I can only imagine it's an even bigger turn-off for people trying out the game. If people still do that, of course.

I feel your pain. Inventory tetris takes a lot of time these days. It's a game within game.
It gets even worse when you have to move things from one char to another,
craft items or shards on crafter, move BtA items, clickies, scrolls, finding ingredients.
Last time I was searching for Black scales I had to circle through 4 alts. Usually I try to keep at least up to 10 large bags in shared bank with all the relevant shit.

The only thing that is barely tolerable is gearing out my TR'd char which takes about 2-3 hours.
It's a meta-game in on itself, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I roll out with a pimped out toon, making Barbarians jealous of my HP on a rogue, or stuff. Make everyone eat dust in the path left behind me.
You know, the usual elitist stuff xd
Sometimes I just log off before anymore quests after I was so tired gearing out Sad

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 12:01pm:
That's part of it.  I have stacks of bags full of thousands of ings I collected in a cycle like this -

'I really want this thing!'
Hours or days later - 'this thing so isn't worth the grinding!'
Even with duping most of its too much work to bother with for the reward.

Was seriously considering returning but was left with the option of either dealing with the hellish nightmare that is inventory management with TRing my main toon or dealing with the hellish nightmare of either grouping or running all quest three times to build up a new toon (since I'm so not going back to VIP).

Shouldn't surprise me anymore because it happens every time I come back - but the curve of adjusting to the graphics gets a little harder every year.  Logged back in when they released Warlocks seriously intending to get back in the swing of things but...man...after playing Skyrim and SRIV, dealing with DDO's not so great even when it was new graphics is just too much of a step down for me.

A buddy of mine came back to DDO and mentioned the graphics being bad. I couldn't remember what he was talking about so I logged in. Just the character select screen was enough for me to understand. GOOD GOD.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 1:56pm:
A buddy of mine came back to DDO and mentioned the graphics being bad. I couldn't remember what he was talking about so I logged in. Just the character select screen was enough for me to understand. GOOD GOD.

IKR!  Seriously, its jarring if you've been away for awhile.  Been actually missing it some, but logging in quickly reminds me the decision I made last year.  Dropping money on DDO instead of buying new games makes about as much sense as continuing to invest in a Betamax video collection.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 12:05pm:
I feel your pain. Inventory tetris takes a lot of time these days. It's a game within game.
It gets even worse when you have to move things from one char to another,
craft items or shards on crafter, move BtA items, clickies, scrolls, finding ingredients.
Last time I was searching for Black scales I had to circle through 4 alts. Usually I try to keep at least up to 10 large bags in shared bank with all the relevant shit.

And Turbine will not make it so you can label your bags, stupidest QoL move ever. 
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:09pm by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:05am:
ibtl

I laughed entirely too hard at this...

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 11:55am:
spat coffee, cum and other bodily fluids  Smiley

never tried that kind of cream in my coffee.  any good?

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 5:23pm
Print Post  

This. So much this.

Inventory and rules changes. There should be a low barrier to a returning player - you have some gear, you own a bunch of content, you know your way around, it should be like riding a bicycle!

But instead they moved all of the deck chairs, added PRR and MRR and EIEIO or whatever the heck they call it, you log in and have no idea what's what. Instead of the comfort of the familiar, you have the confusion of a bad dream where everything changed a little and you're not sure how. It's the Uncanny Valley of nostalgia.

And they can't even steal a good idea competently. NWO had a shared crafting bank of 500 slots, great idea. Turdbin steals it and makes it ... 12?! Oh Turdbin, thank you for your generosity, 12 whole slots, my inventory nightmares are banished  Roll Eyes

I do take one comfort from Turbine - at least there is a bunch of incompetent losers who won't be applying for jobs in a hospital, or an airport, or even a restaurant I might eat at. They may ruin my Sunday afternoon quest, but they won't make anybody sick or dead, so there's that to be thankful for  Undecided

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 5:23pm:
It's the Uncanny Valley of nostalgia.

Loving this phrase.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
If you missed out on the card dupe, then inventory tetris is a p2w game. (Huge green, red, blue bags and large augment bags all for free.)

You can buy like 60 inventory slots, 60 bank slots, ~100 shared bank slots, and ~700 ingredient bank slots (iirc).

Still, I think the collossal green bag was the best buy I've made in this game so far.

Yes, it's bad design or whatever that you shouldn't have to pay for. I don't care. It's been clear for a long time that I've been enjoying this game in spite of Turbine efforts, not because of them. Presumably we have the original (long-gone) dev team to thank for what we enjoy.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:39pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 1:56pm:

I'd rather play a game that tried for photorealism than even look at that vomit-inducing stylized cartoony bullshit that you've been playing.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 5:07am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:47pm:
I'd rather play a game that tried for photorealism than even look at that vomit-inducing stylized cartoony bullshit that you've been playing.

true story

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 8:37am
Print Post  
I'm holding out for a game with Order of the Stick graphics  Cheesy

I play Pencil and Paper, so while I'd love to see shinier graphics, for me that's only a minor negative. There is sooooo much Turdbin could easily fix, the graphics would be a challenge even for a competent company and I don't hold it against them for not tackling it.

But I agree, the contrast when I switch to DDO (and have it slow dow!) is striking.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 10:02am
Print Post  
They are in the process of upgrading the graphics. I have a sample of the new format here from the Shadow Crypt Water Chest

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Now we know where the Shadowfell effects originated at least.....

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Except that it wasn't exploding in your eyes on the old CGA screen like it does when it appears in DDO.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 9:47pm:

It was more the gui than the characters. The character listing at login is pathetic. The options menus are at least appropriately sized (well, the text is, at least), but they were clearly organized by Helen Keller.

Face it: DDO is a relic of the naughties that did not keep up with the times.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I'm no Turbine apologist,

but for some reason I still play this game (off and on, somewhat casually).

I guess it's just the old school arcade zerg and blast shit in 3d that's so much fun.

And even though I haven't gotten anything worth a shit since like 2009 (when I became a filthy duper), I still get excited when I open a chest.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #22 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jun 21st, 2015 at 1:10pm:
And even though I haven't gotten anything worth a shit since like 2009 (when I became a filthy duper), I still get excited when I open a chest.

The last time I remember getting something I cared about in DDO was when I finally got my staff from the Abbot raid, which was in 2011. New loot just isn't that exciting to get anymore, I blame the raid timer bypasses.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on Jun 21st, 2015 at 1:52pm:
The last time I remember getting something I cared about in DDO was when I finally got my staff from the Abbot raid, which was in 2011. New loot just isn't that exciting to get anymore, I blame the raid timer bypasses.

I blame them taking out the random highest level weapon mods (dps and caster) that rivaled named loot and make opening chests really fun.

Like My old Cosmic of Obscenity of hvy repeater I had. I never did find a Thousand Suns item, which I always wanted.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #24 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 3:35pm
Print Post  

That's something most games don't have - the excitement over loot. I remember spending days at work dreaming about the loot I might get on an upcoming loot weekend, and planning entire guild events around loot runs.

Other games, it's just stat progression gear. Nothing cool. Most games I barely even look at the gear, just do a quick red/blue/green analysis of the attributes and either equip it or junk it.

It strikes me as incredibly odd that games would want to eliminate one of their best carrots.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint