Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO Is Great in spite of 6 years of Turbine (Read 13219 times)
OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Re: DDO Is Great in spite of 6 years of Turbine
Reply #50 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:43pm:
no edit, so I have to make a new post 

Logging out and back in will restore the edit button, but won't fix your iPad's spasms.  For that, I suggest EST.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #51 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jun 21st, 2015 at 8:16pm:
I dont really know where it all started to go down.

For me the "Jump the Shark" point was when they started to sell chunks of XP.  I know that before that XP pots were essentially 'selling XP' as well, but to me there is a huge difference between selling a bonus to what your earn, vs flat-out selling levels.  I mean, how much trouble are you in when folks are paying to bypass huge chunks of your game?

Also, we used to have a phrase for certain campaigns bay in my P&P days: Monty Haul.  DDO has definitely gone Monty Haul.  +6 Tomes FFS - just retarded.  Or are they up to +7 now, I've lost track...  Shocked

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #52 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:23pm:
Logging out and back in will restore the edit button, but won't fix your iPad's spasms.  For that, I suggest EST.

Wow, thank you, that's been bugging me for ages. I thought it was just that the mobile view didn't support it!

2 solid tips from The Vault in 1 day, and nobody flamed me, I'm off to buy a lottery ticket  Wink

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #53 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 9:29pm:
2 solid tips from The Vault in 1 day, and nobody flamed me, I'm off to buy a lottery ticket 

DIA ... pile of money.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #54 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 6:53am:
DIA ... pile of money.

Not even a burning pile of money? This new moderated Vault is downright creepy Cheesy

But if I hit the jackpot, I'll sprinkle a few TP codes here Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #55 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 7:44am:
But if I hit the jackpot, I'll sprinkle a few TP codes here

Thanks...but can we get something of actual value instead?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #56 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
archon wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:45pm:
I'd rather be able to equip and see all gear, rather than just limited to helmet/armor/weapon/goggles.

Yes... be nice to put on a cloak and actually see it. Have the option to turn in on off like the glass's etc. There was a thing about the cloaks a few years back but cant remember what exactly it was all about.

I do like the graphics that tend to realism rather then cartoony but even with that said they are horrible.. It would also be nice if they didn't spoon feed the quests. I find most are to linear. I think one of the best packages they came out with was HH just because there was so much to do in it that didn't relate really to the primary quest. I think that is what they were trying to do with TOEE but ran out of time on the side quest part of things. Hell just think how good HH would have been if they treated it like a wilderness and added in a few more actual quests into it.

I do agree that raid timers have ruined part of the excitement of loot. And that is from my perspective considering I haven't duped any. Was on a break from the game when all that fun happened and never got in on it other then some folks passing the occasional timer to me. So essentially my toons are uncorrupted. I don't have 4000 stacks of every mat in existence so I can automatically create whatever TF or whatever weapon/armor I want. The items I get I have to grind for so take more satisfaction in them then someone who just pops down to the forge.

Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge those who did dupe and chances are if I was around during that time I would have probably done my fair share of it too lol. I will say that it would have made the game less satisfying if I did dupe however as the "loot" aspect goes out the window when you do.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:53pm by AllBorkedup »  

IP Logged

Xenophobe
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 4:57pm:
Also, we used to have a phrase for certain campaigns bay in my P&P days: Monty Haul.  DDO has definitely gone Monty Haul.  +6 Tomes FFS - just retarded.  Or are they up to +7 now, I've lost track...  Shocked

Up to +7 now.  They drop in TOEE.  Haven't seen one myself, but I've only run it twice.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #58 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:02am:
Thanks...but can we get something of actual value instead?

Zing! Sure, how about Amazon gift certificates? They can't buy Pay Per View access to the PacMan LARP, but they're worth something Wink

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
AllBorkedup wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:44pm:
it would have made the game less satisfying if I did dupe however as the "loot" aspect goes out the window when you do.

Sadly, your whole point is invalidated due to turbine making years and years of loot invalid in motu, then they proceeded to make that a pattern.  Then feather started a loot revamp and was laid off during the revamp. Many many items I have had for years was nullified, icy game recipes applied years prior suddenly were no good.

The only thing left to do in ddo is to dupe and exploit. Turbine even shifted their sales marketing target towards those using bugs and exploits.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #60 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Dupping saved the game. During the height of dupping, we were also dealing with Single Window Fighting, and several other "Fuck You For Playing" strategies, including a launcher that caused game-freezes. Those were the shit frosting Turbine layered on top of Feather's arbitrary BTCing of loot, arbitrary ML changes to gear you had for years, and then being thrown "burden of sin" upon log-in, for having the temerity to use said hard-won gear. Saying "Feather'd" is a deeper, hate-filled invective than maybe you actually remember.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #61 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 8:41pm:
Dupping saved the game. During the height of dupping, we were also dealing with Single Window Fighting, and several other "Fuck You For Playing" strategies, including a launcher that caused game-freezes. Those were the shit frosting Turbine layered on top of Feather's arbitrary BTCing of loot, arbitrary ML changes to gear you had for years, and then being thrown "burden of sin" upon log-in, for having the temerity to use said hard-won gear. Saying "Feather'd" is a deeper, hate-filled invective than maybe you actually remember.

Ah, Burden of Guilt.
What a genius idea that was.
I remember those times.
I reckon the dev(s) responsible were laughing themselves silly at sticking it to the players (this was around the same time as Tolero's "Extreme Prejudice!"). 
And it was an amusing way to punish "cheaters", but the culture of hatred/distaste toward your customers/players is truly shocking.

However, it was implemented in typical Turdbine fashion - flawed and error ridden.
It affected innocent players too - thanks to FoS's revamp of existing ML's.  And after a few hotfixes, the Guilt stuck permanently -even when you removed the items, relogged etc - it stayed.  You could get around it by tumbling, but that became tedious and pretty obvious.   Roll Eyes

I found this out the hard way on some bank mules who had low ML gear equipped for storing.
You had to get a GM to remove it, which they could do easily enough.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #62 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 20th, 2015 at 10:46am:
But it's less and less compelling to log in and play.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to play DDO or watch an episode of Banacek.

This thread was originally posted in Sunshine and Butterflies.

Can I ask why you said "6 years of Turbine"?  Hasn't the game been around for 9 years?  All of it Turbine?

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #63 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:28pm:
Ah, Burden of Guilt.
What a genius idea that was.

I know at least 2 players who quit the game because of it. Of all the brain-dead ideas they've had in the time I've been playing, that had to be one of the worst.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #64 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 12:47am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:28pm:
I found this out the hard way on some bank mules who had low ML gear equipped for storing.
You had to get a GM to remove it, which they could do easily enough.

I might have one still. I put a lot of my low ML gear, farmed from the madness chain, onto a mule and haven't logged in to it since. Thinking at the time maybe it was an active change rather than automatic, and it might be possible to wait it out.

Now I just don't log in to it from habit.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #65 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:36pm:
Can I ask why you said "6 years of Turbine"?  Hasn't the game been around for 9 years?  All of it Turbine?

Because 4 Years of Codemasters.... from 2006 to 2010 European players were not directly in contact with Turbine.

The important things that changed when CM sent us to Turbine :
- loss of an almost crashless game.
- loss of the Kraut and the Frog client ( Think of it : Turbine had to restart from scratch on that.... when CM had the fucking clients all along )
- loss of a lagless game. ( yes even during winter games, and stuff )
- loss of a Pack of GM that actually helped players by fixing problems.

Now as a good portion of the Europeans jumped ship when F2P appeared, that makes it 6 years... ( compared to the 5 of those that stayed until the end ) 

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #66 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 3:43am:
Now as a good portion of the Europeans jumped ship when F2P appeared, that makes it 6 years...

Kind of makes you the frog who refused to surrender, doesn't it?  Good job.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #67 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 11:36pm:

The Turbine of the first three years seems a LOT different from the post F2P Turbine.

Same name, different culture.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #68 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:08am:
The Turbine of the first three years seems a LOT different from the post F2P Turbine.

Same name, different culture.

Ah.  I see.  There were a lot of us who weren't very happy in 2008 and 2009 (before september).  We went a long time with no new content and just a lot of empty promises.  2009-2011 was actually a high tide time for Turbine and DDO as far as I am concerned.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #69 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:05am:
Kind of makes you the frog who refused to surrender, doesn't it?  Good job.

Well, I wasn't alone in that ( I wasn't even the only Frog to be there until the end )... but we weren't numerous... There until the last day. Too bad I was at work when they shutdown the servers, or I would have been there standing in the Harbor ( or in the Vale Viewpoint... well anywhere with a nice view ) waiting for the shutdown to take one last screenshot of the European server.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint