Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tin Foil Hats? (Read 9466 times)
Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Tin Foil Hats?
Jun 22nd, 2015 at 9:31am
Print Post  

Just throwing out a hypothesis, I have no proof or backing for these thoughts, just noticing trends and possibilities. And want you peeps thoughts on the matter. - Not a doom thread -

Personally I like DDO, but Hate Turbine (because as they proved time and again they are out of their league)

Word on the street is that they will at least be losing their renewal on Forgotten Realms when it's do, as they are behind the times on content since DnD went to "after the cataclysm" or whatever they're calling it. NWO (The sparkly shitter) is supposedly now going to start producing content that fits more in line with what WotC envisions the Forgotten Realms to be. Which is why WotC doesn't usually say much about DDO any more. And considering that Turbine just had a game fail after 3 months of uptime, and the DDO devs just phoning it in lately. Warlock.. super powered cut and paste arcane, Pally, Barb, Bard, and rogue now have super powers, making content just.. well easy. These are things that happen when your barreling straight for maintenance mode. I believe that after majormal left, and vivianne or whatever her name was, that they made a choice to head into maintenance mode in 2016 and are now just throwing as much shit as possible at us with very little effort on their part so they can scam as much money as possible before they close the doors. Also another pattern I've seen lately is the Devs just dropping bombs in threads to just rile up the Trolls and Paladins. I think that once the cap goes to 30 it will be all but a done deal. Trying to get to that 10 years in service mark then finished. Again this is just my thoughts and in no way insider information. I've seen a lot of folks speculating, but as I see more and more just rushed and lazy updates I can't help but see the point of all the DooOom mongers for what it is. Hope I'm wrong, I've spent waaaay to much of my life in that stupid game to have it go out this way, because turbine can't help shitting the bed all the time. I really hope that they do not get the contract to build DDO 2 (or whatever comes next) cuz neverwinternights can eat a sparkly dick.

-CG

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: Tin Foil Hats?
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Maintenance Mode is not the end, but a new beginning. When it comes, the game will stop going downhill. SeverancePay will sacrifice a case of Red Bull and our game-worldly suffering will end.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Holy Fucking Wall of TEXT !!!!!

When you do a not a Doom post at least do it right :

Crotch Goblins wrote on Jun 22nd, 2015 at 9:31am:
Just throwing out a hypothesis, I have no proof or backing for these thoughts, just noticing trends and possibilities. And want you peeps thoughts on the matter. - Not a doom thread -

Personally I like DDO, but Hate Turbine (because as they proved time and again they are out of their league)

Word on the street is that they will at least be losing their renewal on Forgotten Realms when it's do, as they are behind the times on content since DnD went to "after the cataclysm" or whatever they're calling it.
NWO (The sparkly shitter) is supposedly now going to start producing content that fits more in line with what WotC envisions the Forgotten Realms to be. Which is why WotC doesn't usually say much about DDO any more.
And considering that Turbine just had a game fail after 3 months of uptime, and the DDO devs just phoning it in lately. Warlock.. super powered cut and paste arcane, Pally, Barb, Bard, and rogue now have super powers, making content just.. well easy.

These are things that happen when your barreling straight for maintenance mode. I believe that after majormal left, and vivianne or whatever her name was, that they made a choice to head into maintenance mode in 2016 and are now just throwing as much shit as possible at us with very little effort on their part so they can scam as much money as possible before they close the doors.
Also another pattern I've seen lately is the Devs just dropping bombs in threads to just rile up the Trolls and Paladins. I think that once the cap goes to 30 it will be all but a done deal. Trying to get to that 10 years in service mark then finished. Again this is just my thoughts and in no way insider information. I've seen a lot of folks speculating, but as I see more and more just rushed and lazy updates I can't help but see the point of all the DooOom mongers for what it is. Hope I'm wrong, I've spent waaaay to much of my life in that stupid game to have it go out this way, because turbine can't help shitting the bed all the time.
I really hope that they do not get the contract to build DDO 2 (or whatever comes next) cuz neverwinternights can eat a sparkly dick.

and what you wrote is messy as hell...

Anyway...
Deconstruct time :

/tinfoil hat on.

Word on the street is that they will at least be losing their renewal on Forgotten Realms when it's do, as they are behind the times on content since DnD went to "after the cataclysm" or whatever they're calling it.

Not gonna happen... They are going to get it renewed, as long as they cna pay the license fee. Wizard/hasbro is not going to shit on a revenue line, especially now that 4th Ed was a failure and that 5th Ed is not bringing back all the people that left for Pathfinder.

NWO (The sparkly shitter) is supposedly now going to start producing content that fits more in line with what WotC envisions the Forgotten Realms to be. Which is why WotC doesn't usually say much about DDO any more.

The Cataclysm also happened in DDO too. ( the whole fucking Threads of the Weave storyline, and Lolth being the Goddess of Magic... )

But things are different, first, PWE bent into pretzel the initial game that should have been NWO ( the game the company that hired The Kobold That Jumped Ship Before Getting Fired is not far from what was initially envisionned for NWO [ with a lobby/inn where parties could be created ] ). I'm not certain the relations between PWE and WoTC/Hasbro are smooth... Remember PWE bought Cryptic because Atari was going bankrupt.... and Atari was loosing the D&D license at the same time. So Basically Hasbro/WotC ended up with the Fait Accomplis that now NOW was in the hands of PWE.

The only thing for NWO is that it's newer than DDO.
Also it has been stated numerous times by all the parties involved that Neverwinter was now an IP in itself loosely related to D&D while DDO is THE D&D MMO.

And considering that Turbine just had a game fail after 3 months of uptime, and the DDO devs just phoning it in lately. Warlock.. super powered cut and paste arcane, Pally, Barb, Bard, and rogue now have super powers, making content just.. well easy.

The issue with IC is that they tried to copy a good idea 6 month late ( and spent way too long in beta )... Either you're able to copy it in a month or don't try to do it... even when you have a very good IP to support it. The people moves too fast from one game to another in the mobile/fesse de bouc gaming to allow for 6 month development time, then one year beta.

Now for the rest, you have to consider where our latest Producer comes from... He probably knows the dat files ins and out, but he has ( had ) no clue of what DDO is...
Since he didn't want to end up in the middle of a rage fest by trying to fix some unfixable things caused by the Enhancement Crash and the Epic Destinies, he is just lifting everything to the smallest denominator...

These are things that happen when your barreling straight for maintenance mode. I believe that after majormal left, and vivianne or whatever her name was, that they made a choice to head into maintenance mode in 2016 and are now just throwing as much shit as possible at us with very little effort on their part so they can scam as much money as possible before they close the doors.

Under which stone where you hiding ? It has been obvious since at leasst a year that wer were headed towards maintenance mode at a fast pace...
Sev is The Maintenance Mode Producer, he is just rolling out everything that was planned by his predecessor, and then off to Maintenance mode.
Note that Maintenance mode is not compatible with what you said a few lines above about the license renewal... Either we get the licence renewed and we go Maintenance Mode, either we don't, and there's no point in preparing maintenance mode.

Also another pattern I've seen lately is the Devs just dropping bombs in threads to just rile up the Trolls and Paladins. I think that once the cap goes to 30 it will be all but a done deal. Trying to get to that 10 years in service mark then finished. Again this is just my thoughts and in no way insider information. I've seen a lot of folks speculating, but as I see more and more just rushed and lazy updates I can't help but see the point of all the DooOom mongers for what it is. Hope I'm wrong, I've spent waaaay to much of my life in that stupid game to have it go out this way, because turbine can't help shitting the bed all the time.
I really hope that they do not get the contract to build DDO 2 (or whatever comes next) cuz neverwinternights can eat a sparkly dick.

It has always been communicated that the raise tro 30 would be le last level raise of the game, just like it has ( almost ) always been said that it would happen with Epic Shroud.
The rushed updates are because the development team is small ( Kookie, Steel, Varg, NoDice, Sev, and maybe one or two more ) and they have release dates that are set by the marketdroids ( or Hasbro in some case ) that are engraved in stones and must be met whatever the state of the stuff developed is.
( why do you think we got warlock with nothing else and we will get the quests next month ? because a fucking marketdroid wanted warlock to be released before the end of the quarter to show on a nice slide how many warlock units were sold  at the end of Q215... Doing that in July makes it impossible to show nice stuff for Q215... it would be Q315, not good for the marketdroid. )

And honestly Cryptic hasn't done better on that side... Caturday comes to mind when they had to shutdown the server and rollback 17hours... for a fucking bug that was reported during beta. ( there's been a few more ) Ok, compared to Turbine, they gave some compensation. ( I'm still waiting for something for all the G-Land Crashes )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Yeah I will say sorry for the wall of text, I wasn't somewhere I could edit stuff and make it pretty. Smiley

I'll try to do better next time.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Also I think I've been living under the rock of denial.
I've played a lot of other games and keep coming back to DDO. I like the customization. I like the ability to "fuck" up my toons if I do something stupid. I hate cookie cutter crap, it's why I like and respect some of the dudes/gals here who are creative with the builds.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Hey Crotch,

I'm not sure it as simple as you believe.
I have no special information either, but from my limited perspective, there is conflicting information.
Some of the observable behaviours like Sev_Pay's appointment are potentially indicative of Maint Mode (MM) as he has experience in shepherding a game into it.  On the other hand, they have had a procession of Producers in the last few years and nobody wanted the role for the peanuts they pay, so he was last man standing.  (Not particularly confidence inspiring)

I also look to the announcement of server upgrades - if this is to be believed, it is an odd move for a game planned for MM.  It is possible that the upgrade is a euphemism for cost redn via a cheaper service provider, as it might be newer equipment but a lesser uptime/service contract.  Mind you, the existing one has a pretty ordinary track record though.

Others who know more about the WOTC relationship, have commented previously that the IP is unlikely to be removed as it is non exclusive.  WOTC can license it to the next newcomer.  The license fee may change if they go into MM though - there might be two elements - a sustaining fee and a new content fee.

I wouldn't say their recent updates are indicative of racing toward MM either.  The cadence of the updates is set by Marketing or Finance - not technical.  The sloppy recent work is caused by that timing pressure, not an apathy toward the future.
Undecided

We do know that as a studio, they're migrating toward mobile apps.  So their focus is coming off MMO's, but presumably something needs to pay the bills while they ramp up.  After IC, I doubt capital is going to be readily available to them to develop mobile apps - so burning US$4M/mth ain't going to be happening?

They have plans to go to lvl 30, which IMHO is not a good idea.
The projected XP curve combined with limited content will make end gamers really pissed.  They'll run the new content to death and then complain bitterly about boredom.

Lvl 28 toons are already running lvl 30 content on EE with ease, so they add in two more levels, how are they going to challenge players?  I know EE end gamers are not the majority, but they are an important vocal minority who stimulate the economy in a number of ways.

Ofc, they will do lvl 30 anyway because they don't play, don't listen and don't understand. They think it will keep players "busy" while they generate some more shit content. The predictable backlash will surprise them, and they'll call the players ungrateful.  Sound familiar?

I think the short term objectives are neither conclusive for or against MM.

Interested to hear others perspectives as it is all conjecture for now.

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2015 at 9:01pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
/MM -DoubleSecret on

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
- Drop Bear,
Yeah I imagine it's not going to be clean and clear cut or simple. And I in my life hate assuming anything, so figured with the newer updates really just being cut and paste, and even the new class is a lot of the same it looked to me like a money grab.

I actually like Warlock, I'm trying out the 12 war 6 wizard 2 fighter version and it's working pretty well in heroics, traps are the only thing that gets me, cuz my saves suck.

But yeah I wanted others opinions and it's not like we can talk about this like adults on the mother boards as the fanboi's would have a fucking stroke. I actually like other folks ideas and try not to take hard stances on things. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:32am by Crotch Goblins »  

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I tend to lean towards the closing of doors.  You look at the other online games out there and the visual appeal compared to DDO stands out. Granted the DDO game is much better which is why I keep coming back to it but at some point I can see another design team come up with a similar fantasy game with customized character creation rivaling DDO in a fantasy setting and that will be it.

Whomever is controlling things probably understands this and is just doing a money grab until the scales tip enough to merit closing the doors and moving onto other ventures. On a good note we probably will all get a voucher for free 3 months of the new Game of Thrones Mobile app for our years of pumping in $$ into this game (but only if your VIP and not p2p)

IP Logged

ThereIsNoSpoon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Isn't Vyvyanne still with Turbine, over at LotRO, as their "Franchise Director"?

Frankly, I don't think it matters who is the current Producer or Franchise Director.  I don't recall any of them doing anything significant (Reign of Madness from 4 years ago was the last update I thought had any creativity attached to it.)  So them shuffling around between the 2 games doesn't seem to signify any DOOM or not-DOOM to me.  Seems like they pick which producer or director that they feel can help squeeze the most money out of players, and move them between each game as needed.  And couldn't care less who will actually help the fun-level direction of the game.

Seems like what really fucked them was IC.  Shoved all their profit from MotU and Shadowfell into IC.  Laidoff content people from DDO, LotRO and AC, and hired more people for IC.  IC tanked, so no revenue to put back $ where it came from in the first place (DDO.)  Maintenance mode is certainly in the near future, which is strange because I would have thought LotRO would have gotten their sooner.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
ThereIsNoSpoon wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 2:04pm:
Seems like what really fucked them was IC.  Shoved all their profit from MotU and Shadowfell into IC.  Laidoff content people from DDO, LotRO and AC, and hired more people for IC. 

Yes, IC fucked turbine good. Folks at WB even chatted about how shitty turbine is.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure the dumbasses who want to cry DOOM about the license every few weeks have no interaction with the online gaming industry in any capacity besides as an end customer. 

Maintenance Mode is a similar matter.  To determine if/when it happens you would need to know costs vs. revenue.  How many VIP subs do they have?  What are store sales, on average?  How much is content purchases?  What are the hard costs to keep the game running?  What are the development costs?  If you can't answer these questions, then you are just making shit up.   

Very few software companies (gaming industry or otherwise) with moth ball a product that is turning a profit.  Regardless of what happened with IC or what their "new direction" is.  If you are making money then you keep doing it.  The maintenance mode starts when development costs exceed the expected return on content sales, new subs, and related store sales.  Example:  How many hearts of wood did they sell after Warlock was released?  Character Slots? Etc..  Even more important: how many hearts were used to TR into a warlock?  Or LR in in warlock levels?  How many game minutes are being played by toons with 1 or more Warlock minutes?  How many points, on average, are spent in each tree?  How many completionists get their completionist back?

All of that will be used to decide if they make more classes, races, or content.  They claim they did the enhancement crash to make classes easier.  A warlock is really a slight modification on a sorc with a different spell list and new enhancement trees.  If the development costs are low, then the return doesn't need to be all that high.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 6:23pm:
Yes, IC fucked turbine good. Folks at WB even chatted about how shitty turbine is.

Link?

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 6:23pm:

Turbine fucked themselves.  Because they are experts.

They will continue to do so until they learn and display humility and accept responsibility for their mistakes.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:10pm:

They will continue to do so until they learn and display humility and accept responsibility for their mistakes.

not going to happen.
i bet turbine is like this guy's wife,
the company gets off on it being rough

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #15 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  

+1
Smiley

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post  

So... never.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 8:12pm:
I'm pretty sure the dumbasses who want to cry DOOM about the license every few weeks have no interaction with the online gaming industry in any capacity besides as an end customer. 

Maintenance Mode is a similar matter.  To determine if/when it happens you would need to know costs vs. revenue.  How many VIP subs do they have?  What are store sales, on average?  How much is content purchases?  What are the hard costs to keep the game running?  What are the development costs?  If you can't answer these questions, then you are just making shit up.   

Very few software companies (gaming industry or otherwise) with moth ball a product that is turning a profit.  Regardless of what happened with IC or what their "new direction" is.  If you are making money then you keep doing it.  The maintenance mode starts when development costs exceed the expected return on content sales, new subs, and related store sales.  Example:  How many hearts of wood did they sell after Warlock was released?  Character Slots? Etc..  Even more important: how many hearts were used to TR into a warlock?  Or LR in in warlock levels?  How many game minutes are being played by toons with 1 or more Warlock minutes?  How many points, on average, are spent in each tree?  How many completionists get their completionist back?

All of that will be used to decide if they make more classes, races, or content.  They claim they did the enhancement crash to make classes easier.  A warlock is really a slight modification on a sorc with a different spell list and new enhancement trees.  If the development costs are low, then the return doesn't need to be all that high.

You can call us dumbasses all you want. However how long do you honestly think they can keep copy and pasting before people stop buying? Warlock is the new kid on the block and all of those peeps with completionist have to do them to keep up with it. So yeah it goes along with what I'm seeing, a big cash grab by releasing a super easy OP class. Get all the cash you can before going into maintenance. The store will still be open, just no new content and milk the rest of the people for playing while keeping the lights on and nothing else. Personally I'm tired of the lazy ass way they are doing things, and if you want to use that shitty OMG they have a small team. Umm fuck you. If you manage your time poorly you get ToEE, which is literally just a couple of hallways over and over again with the same mobs everywhere. How hard would that be for a skilled Dev. Copy paste copy paste copy paste.. done in 1 week. I honestly can't wait to see how they screw up Epic Vale and Sav. Of course it probably won't be challenging because Warlocks are fucking steam rollers...

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
It has always been a steady decline but last few months under Sev_Pay have been really terrible. Everything really, lag, technical difficulties, content quality, class "balance", character vs content balance, no new cosmetics, no raiding, dead EU population,
The direction is just terribad.

U 23 was Majmal or Sev_Pay ?
U 24 - what the fuck was that, anyone remember ? I think I did it once
U 25 - Disappointment
U 26 - lol 6 months for copy pasta new class ? I have zero interest in it.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:23am:
You can call us dumbasses all you want.

Sweet. Oh, wait, you weren't talking to me.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:23am:
However how long do you honestly think they can keep copy and pasting before people stop buying?

It's worked for years now.

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:34am
Print Post  
I hate the copypasta stuff.  In fact, I bought TOEE just to support all new original content, but it was underwhelming... by a lot.  Sad

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 10:46am:
Sweet. Oh, wait, you weren't talking to me.

It's ok you can call me a dumbass lol Smiley

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:50am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:28am:
It's worked for years now.

Yes it did, but now the masses are starting to throw fits about it. And when you just blatantly do it, like ToEE, people bitch about it. Sooo critical mass? (I understand that copy and pasting heroics to epics, not talking about that)

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 11:48am:
It's ok you can call me a dumbass lol

Yes. It's good to recognize the truth when you see it.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint