Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Alternative to DDO (Read 13634 times)
Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Alternative to DDO
Jun 28th, 2015 at 2:52am
Print Post  
I'm just going to throw this out there. There are a number of servers running custom NWN and NWN2 campaigns that are run just like an MMO. If you all had the drive to make a thing your own, you could go over to one of the more populated ones, load it up with your bodies, and run around with Orien-level population, all with a 3.0 ruleset that's closer to the real thing. I know of one that took some of the prestige classes from Eberron, et al. and coded them. All sorts of fun.

Player housing? I know one server that will add a guild hall map to their server for $25 and put all sorts of amenities inside it for you. Try getting Turbine to do that.

Something to consider!
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2015 at 2:54am by Bobbicus »  

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: Alternative to DDO
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 3:07am
Print Post  
What's the size of their content library in comparison to DDO?

IP Logged

yabber
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 3:10am
Print Post  
UI. Took one look at that cutesy-poo meaningless and useless circular hierarchical menu about 12 years ago, and uninstalled immediately. Game is unplayable.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Quote:
UI. Took one look at that cutesy-poo meaningless and useless circular hierarchical menu about 12 years ago, and uninstalled immediately. Game is unplayable.

Ug.  Hey Bobbicus, 2002 called and said they wanted their game back.  They said if you return it, they'll replace it with the newest version of Age of Empires.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 5:57am
Print Post  

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I thought that was pretty cool till I saw the guy living in there

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 4:10am:
Ug.  Hey Bobbicus, 2002 called and said they wanted their game back.  They said if you return it, they'll replace it with the newest version of Age of Empires.

This isn't from 2002. Bobbicus is actually Maj. He's promoting Looking Glass Studio's next production.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:07am by Strakeln »  

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Oh shit, that is funny.

IP Logged

Myrddinman
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:07am:
This isn't from 2002. Bobbicus is actually Maj. He's promoting Looking Glass Studio's next production.

Yikes  Shocked

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:07am:

D'oh

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 2:52am:
I'm just going to throw this out there. There are a number of servers running custom NWN and NWN2 campaigns that are run just like an MMO. If you all had the drive to make a thing your own, you could go over to one of the more populated ones, load it up with your bodies, and run around with Orien-level population, all with a 3.0 ruleset that's closer to the real thing. I know of one that took some of the prestige classes from Eberron, et al. and coded them. All sorts of fun.

Player housing? I know one server that will add a guild hall map to their server for $25 and put all sorts of amenities inside it for you. Try getting Turbine to do that.

Something to consider!

No NWN decicated server can handle 200+ people.... Even the most stable Linux dedicated version bioware created started to go wonky when you went beyond 80.
There's more than 80 people on Orien at any time.

And that's not even considering that data persistency in NWN is.... relative at best... non existent at worst.

Trust me, been there done that, got the complete PW code ( the mod, the visio stuff for crafting, the excel sheets, the hak packs, ... ) stored somewhere...

I won't go into the 15 years old graphic and gameplay... since a good part can be tweaked by the hakpacks.

Now NWN2 is worse when it comes to performance and flexibility ( I'm not even going into the total lack of persistency )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
NWN was fun for a while (when it first came out). Used to play some of the persistent servers like DarkSun etc. Found usually after 20-30 people being online performance would go out the door. Fun for its time but not a contender.

Buddy and I tried running our PnP group online creating adventures every couple weeks but it got to be to much of a drain on time even alternating DM's between the 2 of us. PNP was the way to go and soon migrated back to it.

As for NWN2 I don't think I every made it out of that intro town.. Game play sucked so bad I didn't bother playing the cracked version I had.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Eh, as you say, chief. I don't know all that much about networks; got this horrible mental block with computer stuff that I can't see. Now, you want to play with the hardware of your actual machine, I'm your man, but that ethereal internet stuff? I don't get it.

That said, I'm not Maj, but I am in the games industry. Here, take a look. This here is my baby Smiley

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Survey says...

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 1:27am
Print Post  
If there was a truly legitimate alternative to DDO, we'd all be there playing it, and posting our puerile vitriol and bouncing-boobs pictures on its forums.

Sort of begs the question as to why another developer hasn't picked up the ball and run with it...  Huh

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 1:27am:
If there was a truly legitimate alternative to DDO, we'd all be there playing it, and posting our puerile vitriol and bouncing-boobs pictures on its forums.

exactamundoooo!

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:20am
Print Post  
AllBorkedup wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:07pm:

You didn't take the time to give the baby devil eyes or an illithid mouth? I am DISAPPOINT, sir!

Also, I'm showing one sale of that product from my daily report from that store. Did a vaultie just buy my baby? If so, thank you. That's a day of bills for this hermit.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:32am by Bobbicus »  

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:17am:
exactamundoooo!

As it is, DDO is so far gone down the route to typical MMO that all you really need is any action combat game with complex character design and viable builds centered on weapon procs. The Secret World is fairly close. Good old Guild Wars 1 scratches that same itch. If you can go for "looks like Perfect Dark" graphics, you can go Neocron 2 and join the murderfests in the red light district. Crowfall could be close enough, but I see the game systems coming together in a very double-dipping sort of way, so it gives me pause.

Of course, if what you really want is DDO, then DDO does DDO best, warts and all. If there are specific aspects of the game that you really, really love, then most all of those individual systems are done better elsewhere. That's why you won't be together. You play the game for different reasons.

IP Logged

FredCouples
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I have half a mind to start playing Vindictus again.  But there's still that whole "Fuck Nexon" thing.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Better alternative to DDO

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Bigdickrichguy wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 1:12pm:

Needed a challenge, huh?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Bigdickrichguy wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 1:12pm:

Does it come with a Fanboi looking over my shoulder telling me which card to play next to enjoy it properly?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #22 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:07pm:
Does it come with a Fanboi looking over my shoulder telling me which card to play next to enjoy it properly?

Fucking noob.  LTP!

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:07pm:

Sure. Just download the paperclip!

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 6:53pm:
Sure. Just download the paperclip!

Nooooooooo! Not Clippy!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint