Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Dev to Community: ToEE almost popular as Cove (Read 13904 times)
Forest
Ex Member

Re: Dev to Community: ToEE almost popular as Cove
Reply #50 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:35am:
I think the staff, xbow and bastard sword are better than greensteel. maybe even the dagger for assassins. idk why anyone would play an assassin unless they like to be incrementally tortured through each quest. But in case one didnt want to roll a superior assassin as a bard, you could use the dagger.

I can see your point, but I haven't played a bastard sword toon in a couple years (knightmares), and I haven't touched a bow since the mechanic pass, they are just so slow now.  Can't imagine I will be playing a non-bard assassin any time soon, how many years till the next rogue pass do you reckon?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Quote:
how many years till the next rogue pass do you reckon?

theyre done. unless new dev comes along and decides they love to rogue. but mechanic is really good now. at least they can pew pew pew;p

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #52 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:37am:
only when it is in season... .

That is wrong in so many ways....

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:44am:
theyre done. unless new dev comes along and decides they love to rogue. but mechanic is really good now. at least they can pew pew pew;p

It's true, all ddo's real assassins either carry a wrench or lute it seems, ha ha.

I wouldn't hold my breath for another rouge class pass, A wise head pointed out to me in the past couple of days that it is unlikely they will ever be able to push more with the code that they have and that they will inevitably have to go maintenance mode or DDO2. 

Which honestly depressed the shit out of me.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #54 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
They have a Holocost Cloak, if they were only smart enough to figure out how to wear it. The way DDO is structured, they can edit pure content independant of code, both in the files they are working on and the people doing the work. If they put a moratorium on rules changes and had content people develop adventure packs strictly using existing rules they could have the code people refactoring the code for many months without interruption.

And that's key, interrupting a programmer with "just one new feature" absolutely destroys the efficiency of a refactoring effort.

So promise 3 updates of new adventure packs and give the programmers/engineers a solid year to work on cleaning up the code, and that 4th update will be amazing. People will get regular doses of new things, nothing new will break, and everything you do after that will take half the effort it does now.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Ginger_Walri
Titan Demolisher

Fire. Die In It.

Reply #55 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 4:12pm:
or DDO2

Lets start with something this side of reality and go from there . . .

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #56 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Ginger_Walri wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:22pm:
Lets start with something this side of reality and go from there . . .

DDO2 is not necessarily a new game, but as Meursault suggested, a re-coding of the core logic to enable future expansions.
Having to develop new content from scratch would be a bridge too far.
They have to leverage the content and customers they have.

This might also get rid of the lag issues plaguing the game and the life long bugs they can't seem to remove.

Whether or not a new video engine Is in scope or not is up for debate as that would impact content coding I suspect.

IP Logged

Ginger_Walri
Titan Demolisher

Fire. Die In It.

Reply #57 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:28pm:
DDO2 is not necessarily a new game, but as Meursault suggested, a re-coding of the core logic to enable future expansions.
Having to develop new content from scratch would be a bridge too far.
They have to leverage the content and customers they have.

This might also get rid of the lag issues plaguing the game and the life long bugs they can't seem to remove.

Whether or not a new video engine Is in scope or not is up for debate as that would impact content coding I suspect.

Either way, I have a hard time believing DDO is profitable enough for Turbine or WB to even consider it.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #58 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Ginger_Walri wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:32pm:
Either way, I have a hard time believing DDO is profitable enough for Turbine or WB to even consider it.

The way they are currently running it into the ground, you're probably right.
But with the right resources and some marketing they could make more.
And recoding DDO need not cost $4m/mth - it doesn't need a team of 100 programmers like IC.
In fact, the more programmers, the more likely to get in each other's way.

What they need is a small team of top shelf programmers and a few DBA's for 6 months.  Probably cost less than $1M. This isn't my area of expertise so I defer to others more experienced, but getting the scope right on this is key.

Bigger isn't always better.  For a job like this, I'd look for 2-4 very experienced programmers rather than a dozen graduates.  This is where the Turdbine thinking is divergent from mine.  They think cheap and cost minimisation is the only way to make money.
My business proves time and time again that you need to invest to grow a business.  Whether the business can be reinvigorated and grown is another matter for tactical and strategic planning.  And sometimes we recommend closing elements of businesses - that is the reality.  Because of the IP though, I think it still can make money or I wouldn't waste my time sharing my thoughts.

IP Logged

Ginger_Walri
Titan Demolisher

Fire. Die In It.

Reply #59 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:53pm:
But with the right resources and some marketing they could make more.
And recoding DDO need not cost $4m/mth - it doesn't need a team of 100 programmers like IC.

Resources and Marketing.
Turbine has demonstrated time and time again (whether its actually true or not, who the fuck knows) that they just don't have the resources to change anything meaningful that would either bring back old players or bring in new ones.

And marketing? That's pretty much why IC is dead (well that and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it cost something like 5 million to produce, I'm probably wrong so don't beat me up over it.) games like that do have an audience, they just couldn't find it.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #60 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Ginger_Walri wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:10pm:
Resources and Marketing.
Turbine has demonstrated time and time again (whether its actually true or not, who the fuck knows) that they just don't have the resources to change anything meaningful that would either bring back old players or bring in new ones.

And marketing? That's pretty much why IC is dead (well that and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it cost something like 5 million to produce, I'm probably wrong so don't beat me up over it.) games like that do have an audience, they just couldn't find it.

Someone quoted $4m/mth to produce - that would have added up to a big prodn cost.
Also, there was good analysis on why IC died.  Timing, moving into an established contested market etc were primary causes of its failure.
As well as some terrible tactical decisions separating the playerbase etc.

IC was a big gamble and they fracked it up.

I agree that the current Turdbine mgmt couldn't organise a root in a brothel.  That's why the orgn needs to have some business competency injected into it.
You need the technical expertise, but it needs to be balanced with business/marketing expertise as well.

I'm not a marketing expert, but I could market DDO more professionally than they do.  Even without a big budget.  Targeted marketing for a niche product.  We've (Vault) talked about this aspect in some detail in other threads.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #61 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Let's be VERY clear here. IC is dead because Turbine entered the market too late. In the Market there are windows of opportunity and sometimes those windows don't stay open for very long.

Turbine's window of opportunity closed while they were futzing around with their game. The Market became saturated with online battle arena games. Their game arrived late and wasn't good enough to attract enough people away from the games that did make it through the "window" when it was open.

I'd venture a guess that it was Turbine management which mucked things up too much to get the game done on time.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Ginger_Walri
Titan Demolisher

Fire. Die In It.

Reply #62 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:31pm:
Someone quoted $4m/mth to produce

Knew I was close, left out the "per month" part, vaulting it up on a tablet leaves something to be desired.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #63 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:44pm:
Let's be VERY clear here. IC is dead because Turbine entered the market too late. In the Market there are windows of opportunity and sometimes those windows don't stay open for very long.

Turbine's window of opportunity closed while they were futzing around with their game. The Market became saturated with online battle arena games. Their game arrived late and wasn't good enough to attract enough people away from the games that did make it through the "window" when it was open.

I'd venture a guess that it was Turbine management which mucked things up too much to get the game done on time.

Thanks Arkat for confirming.
Even if they had of got in early, I would still be surprised how they planned to recoup the production costs.
But then Business Plans can assume anything for upside.
Wink

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 1:16am
Print Post  

The insane part of it for me is how they wasted a WB intellectually property so completely while being a subsidiary of WB and having so much access to the DC universe.

It's like a micro-version of WB's attempts in film.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #65 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 1:49am
Print Post  

that and the game sucks.  it doesn't matter how late the game is.  if it is amazing then folks will play it.  maybe it won't be a runaway blockbuster success but it will be a success.

IC sucked.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #66 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 1:51am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 3:05am:
That is wrong in so many ways....

what if it were Kiwi flavored instead?

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #67 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 1:49am:
that and the game sucks.  it doesn't matter how late the game is.  if it is amazing then folks will play it.  maybe it won't be a runaway blockbuster success but it will be a success.

IC sucked.

No shit.

Their game...wasn't good enough to attract enough people away from the games that did make it through the "window" when it was open.

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #68 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
There's no point marketing DDO as it stands now, the current players (mostly) stay with it because they are already sufficiently invested in the game to overlook the glaring bugs and shortcomings. New players don't have that perspective, so recruiting new players into the game as it stands just wastes everyones' time.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, players who try it and don't like it won't ever try it a second time, and the supply of new players is not infinite. Don't market until you have something worth marketing.

If you want proof of that, look at how fast new players leave the game. Change the default server and you get a huge swell on that server, and it dies out within a couple of weeks of switching default servers.

As long as you're attracting enough new players to test your retention rate, you're spending enough on marketing and your money is better spent improving retention. Once your retention rate is high enough to get a big enough fraction (say, 50%? 30%? Even 10%?) of your new players past the "infant mortality" period (about 9 months in DDO?) then start investing in marketing.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #69 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:28pm:
Their game...wasn't good enough to attract enough people away from the games that did make it through the "window" when it was open.

you should have said that in the first place.  it could have saved me two posts!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #70 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 2:28pm:
you should have said that in the first place.  it could have saved me two posts!

I did. Read the day and time I posted it originally.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:06pm by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #71 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:06pm:
I did. Read the day and time I posted it originally.

I know.  that's why I sarcasmed all over myself.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #72 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:19pm:

Ah. Ok, sorry.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #73 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  

That stuff is hard to get out.
Soak in cold water ASAP bro.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 2:05am
Print Post  

That is not a pleasant visual image for me, especially with your new icon.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2015 at 2:06am by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint