Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) A New D&D Movie in the works @Warner (Read 29996 times)
mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: A New D&D Movie in the works @Warner
Reply #100 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 11:31pm:
All this talk reminds me that I haven't actually read any Salvatore. Where would be a good place to start?

I personally would start with homeland, exile then sojourn. These detail Drizzt early life and introduces quite a number of characters that are fleshed out in other stories. I cant remember what the 3 volume name is called though. imho, these are some of Salvatore's best works.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:30pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #101 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:27pm:
I personally would start with homeland, exile then sojourn. These detail Drizzt early life and introduces quite a number of characters that are fleshed out in other stories. I cant remember what the 3 volume name is called though. imho, these are some of Salvatore's best works.

After you do that, start the trilogy that starts with The Crystal Shard. That trilogy was the first one that Salvatore wrote with Drizzt and his friends but the trilogy that mystafyi suggested is chronologically first.

Edited:
The Crystal Shard was the first book in the original series, not The Halfling's Gem. Thanks Sim-Sala-Bim.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2015 at 11:13am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #102 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Stryker wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:02am:
Sitting on his porch in the underdark wearing his +5 gloves of ogre white power?

The Noble Savage beats his enemies off, and celebrates with Drizzt hands.
The Noble Savage beats off, and celebrates with jizz hands.
The Savage beats his enemies with jazz hands.

Hand it to Drizzt, he knows his way around the underdark.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2015 at 8:35am by Revaulting »  

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #103 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 3:54am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:27pm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Elf_Trilogy
    Homeland (1990)
    Exile (1990)
    Sojourn (1991)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Icewind_Dale_Trilogy
    The Crystal Shard (1988)
    Streams of Silver (1989)
    The Halfling's Gem (1990)

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #104 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:31pm:
After you do that, start the trilogy that starts with The Halfling's Gem. That trilogy was the first one that Salvatore wrote with Drizzt and his friends but the trilogy that mystafyi suggested is chronologically first.

The question is, do they want a main character and helpers, ala Mission Impossible or do they want an ensemble concept ala A-Team or The Fellowship in LoTR.  Sure Gandalf, Aragorn and Frodo had more "lead" time, but Legolas, Gimli, and the 3 other Hobbits all got plenty of scenes.

If you are doing "The legend of Drizzt" go with starting at Homeland.  If you are doing the ensemble D&D party/team concept, go with Crystal Shard.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #105 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Selee wrote on Aug 15th, 2015 at 4:03pm:
Vin Deisel - Wulfgar
Scarlet Johanssen - Cattie-Brie
Sean Astin - Regis
Peter Hambleton - Bruenor
Jude Law - Drizzt

Vin Diesel is far too old to play the barely adult Wulfgar!
Scarlet Johanssen is too old to play the Teenaged Catti-Brie!
Jude Law playing Drizz't? EURRGHHH!

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #106 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 5:23am:
were there any protests that there was not single black dwarf, elf or even human in Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Pretty certain there was at least one report in the Daily Mail about people complaining that LotR was Racist for not featuring Black Characters other than Orcs/Dark Skinned Southmen? fighting for Sauron.

Pretty certain there's multiple pages right here on the internet saying the same thing.

But that thinking leads us to Blatantly Politically correct crap like a Half-Caste Guinevere in Merlin or an African American Elf in the Dungeons & Dragons Movie!

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #107 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Aug 18th, 2015 at 10:37am:
Pretty certain there was at least one report in the Daily Mail about people complaining that LotR was Racist for not featuring Black Characters other than Orcs/Dark Skinned Southmen? fighting for Sauron.

Well at least the Feminazis where happy.... Arwen got to do more than be cute and marry the Hero in the movie...

I'm still chocking over what they did with the Bruinen Ford... Arwen has no place there against The Nine...
Glorfindel OTOH had all the reasons of the world to be there... He is one of the few Calaquendi left that actually fought Balrogs and stuff at some point. He is powerful enough to make the Nazguls pause.
( ok, Add Cirdan, Galadriel, Celeborn to the list of those that could have held that ford, but well they can hardly help a band of Hobbit and a ranger. Elrond doesn't qualify : he is not a full Elf... and he never saw the Light of the Trees.  Ok, I should stop there, I'm going into full Endor Geek Mode... )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's Glorfindel that drives the Nine away, even before they reach the ford (Frodo gets to see him looking fabulous while wraithifying). Sure, Tolkien was writing at a time when women were supposed to stay in the kitchen, but it isn't like Hollywood isn't still full of bro-teams doing their bro-thing.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #109 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 18th, 2015 at 12:53pm:
Elrond doesn't qualify : he is not a full Elf... and he never saw the Light of the Trees.  Ok, I should stop there, I'm going into full Endor Geek Mode... )

Not quite true. Yes, he, like his brother, was not born of two elven parents but he and his brother were given a choice of which race to be. Elrond chose to be an elf and even though he did not see the light of the trees like Galadriel, he was just as much an elf as Arwyn. They were both immortal (except Arwyn gave hers up like Elrond's brother did). Elrond's brother (I forget his name at the moment) chose to be Human and got all the benefits of being human such as growing old and dying.

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #110 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 18th, 2015 at 8:43pm:
I forget his name at the moment

This is good advice.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #111 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 18th, 2015 at 8:43pm:
Not quite true. Yes, he, like his brother, was not born of two elven parents but he and his brother were given a choice of which race to be. Elrond chose to be an elf and even though he did not see the light of the trees like Galadriel, he was just as much an elf as Arwyn. They were both immortal (except Arwyn gave hers up like Elrond's brother did). Elrond's brother (I forget his name at the moment) chose to be Human and got all the benefits of being human such as growing old and dying.

Still, that doesn't qualify him... He is not a Calaquendi... He never saw the light of the Trees.

Edit : oh and the brother was Elros... and their parents was Beren ( Human ) and Luthien ( 1/2 Elf/Maia )... Luthien Parents were Melian ( the Maia ) and Thingol ( a Moriquendi Elf... a Sindar, though because his close association with Melian he is considered to having seen the Light of the Trees )

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2015 at 3:18am by Flav »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #112 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 3:14am:
Still, that doesn't qualify him... He is not a Calaquendi... He never saw the light of the Trees.

Edit : oh and the brother was Elros... and their parents was Beren ( Human ) and Luthien ( 1/2 Elf/Maia )... Luthien Parents were Melian ( the Maia ) and Thingol ( a Moriquendi Elf... a Sindar, though because his close association with Melian he is considered to having seen the Light of the Trees )

Yes, Elros. Thanks. Total brain fart on my part.

The Beren and Luthien story would make a great film IMHO.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:31am by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:30am:

While I agree with your idea, please don't actually suggest it to any producers you know Arkat. I'm a fan of the entire world setting and its lore but I hate the part where they made it into 3 looooong movies.

The LotR novels were ok as a trilogy as the length and description Tolkien goes through can be fitted into 5 movies even if budget allows but The Hobbit was saddening due to being ~9 hours. There was even a dedicated fan who compressed the 3 hobbit movies into a single movie and it ended up being around 4 hours long and it was going according to the book. Made for an interesting watch. Will link it when I can find it.

EDIT: Had the hours wrong. ~4 hours is the correct time.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2015 at 10:05am by Galadriel »  

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #114 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:53am:
There was even a dedicated fan who compressed the 3 hobbit movies into a single movie and it ended up being around 4 hours long and it was going according to the book. Made for an interesting watch. Will link it when I can find it.

This one?

https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #115 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:30am:

I agree with the Idea... well a good number of the events that happen in the Silmarillion would make great films.

Galadriel wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 9:53am:
While I agree with your idea, please don't actually suggest it to any producers you know Arkat. I'm a fan of the entire world setting and its lore but I hate the part where they made it into 3 looooong movies.

The LotR novels were ok as a trilogy as the length and description Tolkien goes through can be fitted into 5 movies even if budget allows but The Hobbit was saddening due to being ~9 hours. There was even a dedicated fan who compressed the 3 hobbit movies into a single movie and it ended up being around 4 hours long and it was going according to the book. Made for an interesting watch. Will link it when I can find it.

Yeah, the 9 Hour long Hobbit is an idiocy...

Now I don't think there's chances for films based on the Silmarillion to be made soon...

The issue with the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings is that the rights to them are owend by Saul Zaentz ( aka Tolkien Enterprise, aka Middle Earth Enterprise ), and it's going to fall into the public domain soon... So they had to do something about it to get a lot of money before it fell into the public domain.
While all the rest is still owned by the Tolkien Estate ( aka The Tolkien Familly ), and they rarely license stuff... and AFAK they never licenced anything to medias like TV or movie, or game companies... ( and there's no public domain issue, since Christopher Tolkien dilligently publish a new book based on his father notes every few year... The counter stays at 70 years after his death ( Christopher death that is ) )

That's why LoTRO is just following what is written in the LoTR, that's also why all the PnP Games that tried to exploit the license after ICE demise failed miserably ( they didnt have access to all the Silmarillion stuff... that's something ICE had somehow managed to coax out of the Tolkien Familly )

Edit : if somebody find a cheap ( less than 50$ ) Palantir Quest ( MERP 2nd Edition Adventure ), I'm willing to sort out payment and shipping  ( as well as enough change for a beer on my behalf ), as it's the only MERP book I'm missing in my collection ( which include al lthe rest, with the reprints, the cover changes and all [yes that means that I have 3 Northern Mirkwood as well as the (In)famous Courts of Ardor ]... )
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2015 at 12:34pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

mojo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #116 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
If warner brother spends the money, and makes a great movie they will make a shit ton of money from DDO.  as the servers gets bogs down with a butch of newbs. ether way we will see a spike in new players even if the movie is done half ass. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #117 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 12:30pm:
The counter stays at 70 years after his death ( Christopher death that is )

Exploit: Sell it to Disney, and congress will write a special bill to extend the copyright.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #118 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 7:58pm:
Exploit: Sell it to Disney, and congress will write a special bill to extend the copyright.

Yep

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #119 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
mojo wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 1:58pm:
If warner brother spends the money, and makes a great movie they will make a shit ton of money from DDO.  as the servers gets bogs down with a butch of newbs. ether way we will see a spike in new players even if the movie is done half ass. Lips Sealed

And the game/servers are prepped for an influx of new players......
They're already on their knees and crippled withe hardly any players.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #120 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 12:30pm:
Edit : if somebody find a cheap ( less than 50$ ) Palantir Quest ( MERP 2nd Edition Adventure ), I'm willing to sort out payment and shipping  ( as well as enough change for a beer on my behalf ), as it's the only MERP book I'm missing in my collection ( which include al lthe rest, with the reprints, the cover changes and all [yes that means that I have 3 Northern Mirkwood as well as the (In)famous Courts of Ardor ]... )

Why don't you but it from Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Palantir-Quest-Middle-Earth-Playing/dp/1558062076
Quote:
9 Used from $34.00
6 New from $138.36

If you need a soft copy:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/11313201/Palantir-Quest-Adventures#scribd

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #121 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Aug 20th, 2015 at 1:29am:

Amazon : oversea shipping... lots of US seller won't  do it or at a prohibitive price...

Typical example : in the list, the affordable ones do not ship oversea.
The first one that does international shipping is at 124$ and I have to add 47$ if I want it in a decent amount of time.
( not going to wait 6 weeks for it )
And that's just for the used section... for the New section it's not better.

No point to sending me to Amazon UK... 90 Quids that's more than 100 Euros... ( I don't count the shipping from UK, it's not expensive )

And I already have the electronic version, it's not as if it was hard to find. I want the dead tree version for the collection...

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #122 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 20th, 2015 at 3:08am:
And I already have the electronic version, it's not as if it was hard to find. I want the dead tree version for the collection...

I saw someone else also mention that it is hard to find and new ones are expensive.
Good luck with your search.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #123 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 7:53am
Print Post  
It's hard to find because it's the only pre-chewed campaign/adventure... All the other MERP books require hours of work by the GM to be usable.
Palantir Quest is usable in a matter of minutes. It's written a little bit like the old Shadowrun adventure :
Stage 1 : Location X
- quick presentation for the GM of the events and of the background.
- what the players need to know
- how is set the location
- the NPCs involved ( and their stats )
- what are the supposed outcomes of the Stage and how to move to next stage.

and so on...

IP Logged

mojo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #124 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 8:43pm:
And the game/servers are prepped for an influx of new players......
They're already on their knees and crippled withe hardly any players.

to be honest they might be forced to bring new servers online. what makes fantasy so hard it requires a lot of computer animation. that technology was not around when the old movies came out that's why they sucked so fing bad. the county is petty much sick of sequels and is looking for something new.  under those conditions I can see warner bros knocking it of the park.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint