Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) A New D&D Movie in the works @Warner (Read 30000 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: A New D&D Movie in the works @Warner
Reply #75 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 5:23am:
were there any protests that there was not single black dwarf, elf or even human in Lord of the Rings trilogy?

The difference, at least for me, is that the LOTR books didn't have a character that was clearly black that the studios re-wrote for political expedience. I think Avatar The Last Airbender would be a closer analogy, and there were protests over that casting.

Flav wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 2:11am:
But there's other areas in the world where there's dark skinned people...

how about using some Bollywood star ? ( or somebody appropriately colored from Pakistan/India/ )

I'd buy that. Even if they had to darken the skin with makeup it would feel less forced.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #76 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 15th, 2015 at 9:08pm:
Decent.  Depending on the story.  Scarlett and Vin (especially) are too old to play Catti and Wulfgar in Cyrstal Shard, when they are teenagers.

Agreed.  But I think that the story would have to be later than that anyway, and maybe even an original story (written by Salvatore?) so that the fanbois can't complain about what was changed from the books.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #77 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Selee wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 9:44am:
Agreed.  But I think that the story would have to be later than that anyway

I am not so sure about that. A teen movie could be the way to gain a foothold in the market. Get the right leads and  our young lemmings might push sales to levels that automatically insure sequels and spinoffs.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #78 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 10:05am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 9:59am:
I am not so sure about that. A teen movie could be the way to gain a foothold in the market. Get the right leads and  our young lemmings might push sales to levels that automatically insure sequels and spinoffs.

No thank you, if I wanted to watch a teen girl with a bow and arrow I'd watch the Hunger Games.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 8:15am:
The difference, at least for me, is that the LOTR books didn't have a character that was clearly black that the studios re-wrote for political expedience. I think Avatar The Last Airbender would be a closer analogy, and there were protests over that casting.

I'd buy that. Even if they had to darken the skin with makeup it would feel less forced.

drows are never depicted as being of a bit similar features as Africans despite their dark skin, which is result of whatever but adaptation to sun.

using same logic we could be really surprised that Yellow goblin haven't been cast by some Asian, and hellboy by American native.

contrary we have now movie with black heimdall - that s what I call blatant rape of mythology in the name of political correctness.

If they want make some Anansi story I wont mind whole cast will be black, but most of classic DnD is based on Eoropean folklore and mythology, so there s quite reason for most characters being same origin.

If there is really need to have some afroamerican as main character, they could make him of dark human origin calimshans or rashemen. Making cast just following the color of skin, overlooking other features is imho rcist as well.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #80 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
The thing everyone might be missing here is that drow elves aren't colored the same as what we call "black" or "African American" or "African".

They are black, purple, or grey-ish in coloration.  Shades of brown are not part of this.

People are talking about this in terms of real world race.  Sure Drizzt might be analogy for race relations in the real world, but he isn't a black character in print the same way Falcon or Luke Cage or (Ultimate) Nick Fury is. 

He is more akin to The Thing, Gollum, or Azog the Defiler than a black, indian, or middle eastern person.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #81 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 10:10am:
we have now movie with black heimdall - that s what I call blatant rape of mythology in the name of political correctness.

I have to concur... That's Scandinavian Mythology ( and German one too to a lesser extend )... that means tall muscular white people with blue eyes and blonde hair.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #82 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 1:05pm:
The thing everyone might be missing here is that drow elves aren't colored the same as what we call "black" or "African American" or "African".

They are black, purple, or grey-ish in coloration.  Shades of brown are not part of this.

People are talking about this in terms of real world race.  Sure Drizzt might be analogy for race relations in the real world, but he isn't a black character in print the same way Falcon or Luke Cage or (Ultimate) Nick Fury is. 

He is more akin to The Thing, Gollum, or Azog the Defiler than a black, indian, or middle eastern person.

I don't think people are trying to relate Drow Elves to real races. I believe the discussion is around the practicalities of trying to produce a DnD movie without an Avatar/LOTR budget.
Avatar has shown what the technology is capable of, but it would be expensive.
There is far more than skin colour to work out too.  It will be the fine chiseled features, the long ears and the lavender eyes.  Also the lean muscular build and the athleticism.  Completely different to Vin Diesel's heavy muscular build as Riddick, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.  I think finding that physique would be challenging. 
All doable, but how much do you try to achieve in casting vs makeup and CGI.

Flav wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 4:25pm:
I have to concur... That's Scandinavian Mythology ( and German one too to a lesser extend )... that means tall muscular white people with blue eyes and blonde hair.

You know, I never even noticed that until it was mentioned here and I have loved Nordic mythology for over 30 yrs.  I liked the portrayal of Heimdall - I was just glad to see the Nordic mythology come to life.
You're quite right about the mythology, but the role wasn't major and the acting/portrayal did not detract from the character.  To me it just seemed to be done right.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2015 at 6:48pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #83 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 10:10am:
Making cast just following the color of skin, overlooking other features is imho rcist as well.

Yup.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
And that's it - u wouldn't noticed, I wouldn't mention it (whole thor comics is just inspired by norse mythology it doesnot want to be real interpretation, well n movie is just inspired by comics) - but someone has to come with idea that because drows are darkskinned they should be played by afroes and shields himself by racism bullshit. I didn't hear about any big outcry because of heidall cast aside some people find it strange - well now imagine outcry if something similar would be done with some prominent black character.

I wont mind drow played by black actor if he otherwise meet other feature expected for drow. and its imho easier to make dark makeup and some postprocessing, than modify face via cgi.

And yep u re right - better than bodybuilder type, gymnast or parkour runner would be better.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #85 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:15pm:
but someone has to come with idea that because drows are darkskinned they should be played by afroes and shields himself by racism bullshit.

In R.A. Salvatore's stories, Drizzt is ostracized explicitly because of race. Your "someone" who came up with the idea that race is important ... is the fucking author.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #86 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:41pm:
In R.A. Salvatore's stories, Drizzt is ostracized explicitly because of race. Your "someone" who came up with the idea that race is important ... is the fucking author.

so are orcs, ogres, mindflayers, beholders ...we could go on:) its just because drows are qualified as monsters

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #87 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I don't know why, but I keep coming back to Benedict Cumberbatch as a good candidate (skin colour aside).  I think he has an excellent range of characterisations - from menacing bad guy, charming good/bad guy and with a theatrical background.  The guy is a real talent.

I would imagine this series would have some significant action sequences, so not sure you could fake the fighting prowess/athleticism (but it is Hollywood and that's why you have body doubles).
I can't recall him in an athletic role, but he has the right physique and facial structure to be Elven.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2015 at 8:13pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #88 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
All this talk reminds me that I haven't actually read any Salvatore. Where would be a good place to start?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #89 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 11:31pm:
All this talk reminds me that I haven't actually read any Salvatore. Where would be a good place to start?

The beginning is as good a place as any - Icewind Dale trilogy.
http://www.rasalvatore.com/bookstore/default.aspx

There are some preqel novels setting the background for Driz'zt in the series "The legend of Driz'zt"

I recently read the "Hunter's Blade" trilogy and that was pretty good.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 2:17am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 8:11pm:
I don't know why, but I keep coming back to Benedict Cumberbatch as a good candidate (skin colour aside).  I think he has an excellent range of characterisations - from menacing bad guy, charming good/bad guy and with a theatrical background.  The guy is a real talent.

I would imagine this series would have some significant action sequences, so not sure you could fake the fighting prowess/athleticism (but it is Hollywood and that's why you have body doubles).
I can't recall him in an athletic role, but he has the right physique and facial structure to be Elven.

how about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K0cFLb-JmaQ#t=174

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #91 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 2:19am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #92 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:57pm:
so are orcs, ogres, mindflayers, beholders ...we could go on:) its just because drows are qualified as monsters

Yes.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #93 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 3:21am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 6:46pm:
You're quite right about the mythology, but the role wasn't major and the acting/portrayal did not detract from the character.  To me it just seemed to be done right.

Yes it was done right... that's why it didn't raise much a fuss. ( and also the fact that that there's not much to see except his face with all that armor )

IP Logged

merciless
Dragon Raider

Reply #94 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 3:42am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 8:11pm:

Unfortunately the sainted cucumbersnatch is too hot a property at the moment to touch  some shitty dnd bi-Op

Some are insane, and the're in charge.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #95 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 6:07am
Print Post  
merciless wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 3:42am:
Unfortunately the sainted cucumbersnatch is too hot a property at the moment to touch  some shitty dnd bi-Op

Anyway, he is already busy with all the things he has to do for Disney/Marvel as the Sorceror Supreme.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #96 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 2:17am:

I know the action sequences in Star Trek, but I doubt he performed them.
In that specific sequence he had the hood on - could have been anyone.
I guess they could do the same with Driz'zt in a piwafwi.

I thought he played Khan well in that movie though..

Flav wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 6:07am:
Anyway, he is already busy with all the things he has to do for Disney/Marvel as the Sorceror Supreme.

You're not wrong, he's a crapton of movies coming out in the next two years, as well as live theatre as Hamlet.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2015 at 6:44am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Jeff_Stryker
Waterworks Kobold

Zero

Reply #97 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 14th, 2015 at 8:52pm:
Can't wait to see Drizzt in blackface.

Sitting on his porch in the underdark wearing his +5 white
gloves of ogre power?

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #98 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Jeff_Stryker wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 8:02am:
Sitting on his your porch in the underdark wearing his +5 white
gloves of ogre power?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01517/JOLSON_1517115c.jpg

FTFY
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:14am by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #99 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 2:19am:

It's like that old saying, you can't put a Drow costume on a pig...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint