Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) no thread about +7 tomes limited release? (Read 18887 times)
crunch
Stormreaver Piker

no thread about +7 tomes limited release?
Aug 6th, 2015 at 4:23pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Re: no thread about +7 tomes limited release?
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

apparently bored
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
im just going to save my TP for the +12s that will be here in a year or so im sure.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I bought one.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
apparently bored wrote on Aug 6th, 2015 at 4:49pm:
im just going to save my TP for the +12s that will be here in a year or so im sure.

Hahaha. thx, needed good laugh today.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Wow. I was really hoping they weren't going to ever put +7 tomes in the store.

How naïve I must be, huh?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:23pm:

Nah dude, you are not naive.

One would expect they  learn from lotro  and not fucking sell even more power creep but instead give it as some  incenbtive to run their  anhemic content... but nah, turbine.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Game needs to make cash - doesn't affect me if people buy +7 tomes - no fucks given

but some people will bitch and moan and cry about power creep and waa-waa-waa .......  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
yep seeing this cashbought demigods suck in game is priceless

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
and nope, no sour grapes included - only builds where another plus can matter are imho dc casters, and aint playing any

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:29pm:
Game needs to make cash - doesn't affect me if people buy +7 tomes - no fucks given

but some people will bitch and moan and cry about power creep and waa-waa-waa .......  Roll Eyes

Sure  as hell game needs to make money. 

Thats why i like cosmetic stuff, has no real impact in gameplay  and the only downside i see its that the game may look a bit like  hello kity online.

Mirrors of glamering, glowing eyes,  pets... all that crap  does its job.

I am all in for more benefits to vips if that encourages subscriptions. I am premium and dont see a reason to go vip.
Opening on elite on 1st time? meh
10% base speed in town?  a joke
1 weekly free gold roll? yawn
10% extra xp? come one i  got  tomes from motu and shadowfell dont even need a sov or any fucking pot for that matter, xp is plenty.

There are more and better ways to milk the cow. Adding  +7s to the store just invalidates content.

Will  people continue to run eeTOEE? maybe, dunno really but the  selling point of that place, the one thing that made it bearable for the mases was a tiny tiny chance to get a +7. The crafted loot is not great  and the xp sucks.

Top tier crap should remain attainable only by playing, that move of them  kills the game a little more.

Man, i feel like that faggot of fran...
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2015 at 10:03pm by Reyes. »  

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Meh, if people want to buy an extra stat point or two, more power to 'em. Doesn't really affect my game one way or the other.

Put me in the "not a fuck will be given" category.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 4:09am
Print Post  
People who complain are the ones who farmed the shit out of ToEE the first few days it came out, when drop rates were ultra high.

I really dont give a shit if they released it in the store. Id rather buy a tome (which I will not do) than run ToEE one more fucking time.

Getting an EE raid done nowadays is a dream as well. Expecting a tome to drop is just non-sense.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 4:09am:
People who complain are the ones who farmed the shit out of ToEE the first few days it came out, when drop rates were ultra high.

I really dont give a shit if they released it in the store. Id rather buy a tome (which I will not do) than run ToEE one more fucking time.

Getting an EE raid done nowadays is a dream as well. Expecting a tome to drop is just non-sense.

I'm sad to see tomes in the store, and not because I pulled one elsewhere and this cheapens my acheivement, nor because it bothers me to see others have nice things I don't have, but because they increase the power gap between new and existing players.

Power creep chokes off the influx of new players.

When power goes up, many people bitch it's too easy, so the devs boost monsters. The new player, without a rack of +7 tomes and Thunderforged Underpants, can't keep up in a group, gets frustrated, and quits.

Even if groups aren't a necessity anymore (both from a gamer psychology perspective and from a gameplay perspective), having a very poor "relative performance" makes the game less fun for new players. Sure, it's "just one plus", hardly matters at all. But they add up. The dev mentality that they can keep piling on one more creep because it's too small to matter is damaging to the game, and I'd like to see them stop.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:07am:
I'm sad to see tomes in the store, and not because I pulled one elsewhere and this cheapens my acheivement, nor because it bothers me to see others have nice things I don't have, but because they increase the power gap between new and existing players.

When power goes up, many people bitch it's too easy, so the devs boost monsters. The new player, without a rack of +7 tomes and Thunderforged Underpants, can't keep up in a group, gets frustrated, and quits.

Even if groups aren't a necessity anymore (both from a gamer psychology perspective and from a gameplay perspective), having a very poor "relative performance" makes the game less fun for new players. Sure, it's "just one plus", hardly matters at all. But they add up. The dev mentality that they can keep piling on one more creep because it's too small to matter is damaging to the game, and I'd like to see them stop.

yep....and those who stay are those loaded with cash, buying their tomes and knowing shit anyway. crap

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:07am:

I'm agree that it's bad that tomes are in the store but I think there are a few flaws in what you are saying.

First of all, I wouldn't really call a +7 Tome "power creep". Everyone, by now, has at least a +5 in their primary stat or at most a +4. A +7 tome is max +1 or +2 DC, dmg or whatever. That's not really much of a power creep.

Second: new players? What's that? This game has really few new players.

And last but not least: everyone saw this coming. Let's not fool ourselves, this was an obvious move by Turbine. I agree that they shouldn't put tomes in store but I also think that they should make these tomes more available in game. A good example would be a chance at +6 tome in the 20th list of Defiler of the Just with a small chance of it being a +7 upgrade tome.

The only chance we have for getting +7 tomes right now is EE ToEE, which is an awful quest, and EE Defiler of the Just, which is an awful, laggy, not-run at all, raid. Fuck both of those options, honestly.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:46am:
I'm agree that it's bad that tomes are in the store but I think there are a few flaws in what you are saying.

First of all, I wouldn't really call a +7 Tome "power creep". Everyone, by now, has at least a +5 in their primary stat or at most a +4. A +7 tome is max +1 or +2 DC, dmg or whatever. That's not really much of a power creep.

Second: new players? What's that? This game has really few new players.

And last but not least: everyone saw this coming. Let's not fool ourselves, this was an obvious move by Turbine. I agree that they shouldn't put tomes in store but I also think that they should make these tomes more available in game. A good example would be a chance at +6 tome in the 20th list of Defiler of the Just with a small chance of it being a +7 upgrade tome.

The only chance we have for getting +7 tomes right now is EE ToEE, which is an awful quest, and EE Defiler of the Just, which is an awful, laggy, not-run at all, raid. Fuck both of those options, honestly.

Yeah, I largely agree with what you say, the tomes are a small example of a big problem, not a big problem themselves. And the alternatives suck donkey balls. That's why I'm sad, not outraged.

But I disagree with you on the new players bit. We get many new players trying the game, we just can't keep them. Look at how server populations get a huge bump when that server becomes the default server, and then how fast it decays to pre-default levels when the default is switched. And Turbine knows this, it was a big argument for why we needed the Enhancement Crash, and why they had to spend developer time shuffling deck chairs in The Harbor. And still they keep pulling crap like this.

There is a lot they should have thought out better when they proposed the level increase, one of which is tomes. OK, having content in place and ready to go would have been more important, but still, they shouldn't have bumped the max level before they had a solution in place for tomes. Make the favor reward tome a +5+ tome - you can use it at the level a normal +5 is usable at, but if your level goes up after that, you get more + as you reach the minimum level for that +. Like when you have a tome and TR, the + comes back in stages as you level up again.

Instead, we have all this crap with upgrade tomes and they drop here but not there and blah blah blah.

Grrrrr, Turbine  Angry

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
actually have tome as tiered one time per life reward could work very well.

I mean like this:

when reaching X favor u can get +1 tome, when reaching Y u can get +2 and so on till that +5 on 5k favor - tho once u collect tome, u cant get another one till u TR

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 8:19am:
Yeah, I largely agree with what you say, the tomes are a small example of a big problem, not a big problem themselves. And the alternatives suck donkey balls. That's why I'm sad, not outraged.

Exactly. I'm just not surprised, this was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

But I disagree with you on the new players bit. We get many new players trying the game, we just can't keep them. Look at how server populations get a huge bump when that server becomes the default server, and then how fast it decays to pre-default levels when the default is switched. And Turbine knows this, it was a big argument for why we needed the Enhancement Crash, and why they had to spend developer time shuffling deck chairs in The Harbor. And still they keep pulling crap like this.

I admit I don't hang out in the Harbor or in those levels so I might as well be wrong. Never noticed an influx of new players when the server becomes the default one.

There is a lot they should have thought out better when they proposed the level increase, one of which is tomes. OK, having content in place and ready to go would have been more important, but still, they shouldn't have bumped the max level before they had a solution in place for tomes. Make the favor reward tome a +5+ tome - you can use it at the level a normal +5 is usable at, but if your level goes up after that, you get more + as you reach the minimum level for that +. Like when you have a tome and TR, the + comes back in stages as you level up again.

Instead, we have all this crap with upgrade tomes and they drop here but not there and blah blah blah.

Grrrrr, Turbine  Angry

I think levels increase should have never happened. And Epic Destinies are one of the worst things that happened to this game, at least in the way they implemented them. I'd really love for them to not go to Level 30, it's going to be a total failure.

Epic levels are boring as fuck. Whenever I used to get a level in Heroic, I was always enthusiastic about it. I'd get more APs, a Feat, I can multiclass, I can choose skills, I can choose a stat. In the epic levels, you get a feat and that's fucking it. Some levels you literally click "accept" and you leveled up. Such wow.

Epic Destinies are just full out powercreep. Unbalanced, some abilities are too good, some abilities are shit, some EDs are complete garbage while others are absolutely OP.

What should happens with tomes imho: make +6, +7 upgrades droppable in any EE quest. Not just MoD, ToEE, Necro or DoJ. Make them drop at a reasonable rate and with really increased chance in EE DoJ. This wouldn't help much the endgame but it would be a start.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Shuy wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 8:39am:
I think levels increase should have never happened. And Epic Destinies are one of the worst things that happened to this game, at least in the way they implemented them. I'd really love for them to not go to Level 30, it's going to be a total failure.

I agree. It's like they saw WoW and NWO do it, so they're like "OMG, it's industry standard, we have to do it NOW!!!" They don't have a vision beyond being a second rate F2P copy of WoW.

Epic levels are boring as fuck. Whenever I used to get a level in Heroic, I was always enthusiastic about it. I'd get more APs, a Feat, I can multiclass, I can choose skills, I can choose a stat. In the epic levels, you get a feat and that's fucking it. Some levels you literally click "accept" and you leveled up. Such wow.

Me too. I don't even bother with Epics levels. I play at 20 a while, and when that's too boring it's time for a TR.

Epic Destinies are just full out powercreep. Unbalanced, some abilities are too good, some abilities are shit, some EDs are complete garbage while others are absolutely OP.

What should happens with tomes imho: make +6, +7 upgrades droppable in any EE quest. Not just MoD, ToEE, Necro or DoJ. Make them drop at a reasonable rate and with really increased chance in EE DoJ. This wouldn't help much the endgame but it would be a start.

Yeah, that would have been much better. Of course, by "reasonable rate" I don't mean Turdbin's traditional definition of "reasonable", I mean what somebody who actually plays the game would consider reasonable.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 6th, 2015 at 6:23pm:

Only because you have been here quite a while. We watched this happen from the time +2 tomes were added till now.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #21 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Hmm, would you have liked DDO to have gone the path of EQ1 Mersault? (in regards to epic destinies happening only at cap). EQ1, when I played it years ago, did that with their 'epic destiny' type system. Once you hit max lvl, they didn't boost max level up with a future update. Instead, they came out with a whole new leveling system that only applied while max level (basically akin to ED's).

I do agree leveling 20-28 is kind of... meh. Especially the levels where you just click accept. Leveling 1-20 is more involved, get more per level, and is generally more exciting when you do level.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #22 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Adding more and more tomes slowly over time is good not just for direct income, but also it presumably keeps the same maniacs playing to even out their stats again.

IP Logged

merciless
Dragon Raider

Reply #23 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 10:39am
Print Post  
There is thread on the mobos about this now, if you want to read some vintage chai inflicting his bed-wetting irrationality on all and sundry then check it out. Alternatively you could do something else like trimming your own Hampton with pinking shears.
Personally I think its great the tomes are in the store. Perhaps my eyes will stop bleeding from not having to run fucking TOEE.

Some are insane, and the're in charge.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Some Guy Here On The Boards wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 10:07am:
Hmm, would you have liked DDO to have gone the path of EQ1 Mersault? (in regards to epic destinies happening only at cap). EQ1, when I played it years ago, did that with their 'epic destiny' type system. Once you hit max lvl, they didn't boost max level up with a future update. Instead, they came out with a whole new leveling system that only applied while max level (basically akin to ED's).

I do agree leveling 20-28 is kind of... meh. Especially the levels where you just click accept. Leveling 1-20 is more involved, get more per level, and is generally more exciting when you do level.

The Epic Destinies don't bother me so much as the whole Epic Levels. I would have much rather seen them bulk out content in the upper levels MUCH more before they went there, and when they finally did, have them feel more like the heroic levels in the sense of picking things and getting some meaningful customization options. And the player base is already so spread out, increasing the number of levels just made that worse.

I guess having to buy EDs bugs me too (not personally, I bought them for myself, my family, and even my bank mule account) because it's yet another thing you really need to play the game so it increases the entry barrier for new players. It's one thing for Turdbin to make deceptive claims about how free the game is, but I'm not going to lie to my friends "Oh, come try it, it's free to play, but not really, you're going to have to buy this and this and this to actually play it." "Uh, thanks, man, maybe later."

I don't think the EQ1 model would have worked for DDO if they were intent on raising the level cap, 20 seems a natural boundary and holding destinies to 30 would have pissed off many of their customers. Maybe if they had kept it at 20 permanently the EQ1 model would work, I'm not sure what I think about that, I'll have to ponder it a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint