Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) no thread about +7 tomes limited release? (Read 18900 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: no thread about +7 tomes limited release?
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I don't care if they sell +7's in the store because the drop rate on them in game is dog shit.  Back in the day when you could realistically get top stat tomes in chests or in 20th run lists mixed in with the named items (thinking +3's in Shroud, VoD, Hound and +4's in ToD) then it mattered because people actually ran content just for the tome drops.  There was some +5 farming in the MoTU - demon web quests for a while.  But at this point, the drop rates are so abysmal that I don't know why anyone would bother to farm them. 

So, why not sell them?  And why not buy them?  You aren't going to pull them.  They don't want to give them out to people playing the game anymore.  I think it's stupid.  Not because of power creep or P2W or any of that garbage.  Just because they are missing a great opportunity to get people to run end game content. 

To do it right, though, they need to put them in as drop items in the raid chest.  Not 20th lists.  20th lists can be raid timer bypassed to hell.  Chests get ransacked.  People will still run it 7 times a week, but it would take 2 weeks to get 20 pulls vs. 20 hours.   

I also think that earning max favor (every quest on Elite/EE) should earn you 1 btc tome of your choice of whatever the max tome level currently is.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2015 at 1:59pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I'm just starting to upgrade to +5's.  so selling +7s in the store is about right.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Ain't that true. Never bought single tome, but got 5 characters with +4 all, maybe 2 stats +5, traded for 5 - 6 wisdom on "main".

Somewhere between 4 and 5 Turbine made changes to tome aquisitions in game.

They should give us more reasons to run more content, buy packs and not short term profit.
+1 stat is nothing in comparison to power creep last year but it's one less reason to run some stuff.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #28 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 4:13am
Print Post  
This was expected. It was only a question of time.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #29 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 9:24am
Print Post  
There's a nice 11 page crybaby thread at the motherforums, some of you could fit in just grand

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 1:57pm:
I don't care if they sell +7's in the store because the drop rate on them in game is dog shit. 

Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 1:57pm:
So, why not sell them?  And why not buy them?  You aren't going to pull them. 

Are you seriously saying that its ok to make gear so hard to get that you have to buy it outright is fine and dandy?

I do understand why turbine went full tilt down p2w lane. Like it or not, they had a core group of whales to cater to and this was their route to maximum short term gains. That being said, I think adding core p2w tactics like selling XP or character power is always wrong.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #31 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:48am:
Are you seriously saying that its ok to make gear so hard to get that you have to buy it outright is fine and dandy?

I do understand why turbine went full tilt down p2w lane. Like it or not, they had a core group of whales to cater to and this was their route to maximum short term gains. That being said, I think adding core p2w tactics like selling XP or character power is always wrong.

You pegged it, that's exactly what they did.

But is it "wrong"? They chose a safe path to a mediocre but stable small time game. They gave up on a chance to make a great game that appealed to a wide swath of the PnP FRP population, but if they don't have the skill and vision to pull that off, aren't they better off settling for their comfortable little corner of the playground than shooting for the lofty goal and going bust?

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely wish they went the PoE route - make a great game and they will come, and they will gladly support you as a partner not a rape victim. But that takes talent and vision and leadership that lasts more than 6 months. To steal a line from Hotel California "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"  Sad

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 12:13pm:
But is it "wrong"?

For a game that claims to be free to play, yes, it is. I don't give a damn if they sell +7 tomes.

Getting to 5K favor it's not as hardcore as it used to be if u catch my drift  Wink

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #33 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 9:24am:
There's a nice 11 page crybaby thread at the shithole DDO forums, some of you could fit in just grand

my sentiments exactly.  "waaaaaahhh +7 tomes FOR SALE!"  "waaaaahhh +7 tomes have a super low drop rate!" 

I guess that would be a surprise to someone who hasn't played this game for more than 6 months. 

people are just in the wannabreakup-so-give-me-more-reasons stage of their DDO relationship. sack up and quit or keep playing and stop bitching.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #34 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 2:51pm:
sack up and quit or keep playing and stop bitching.

Never!  Cheesy

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #35 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:48am:

tactics like selling XP

Hey, at least they don't do that, right?

<What?>

<What are "gold rolls"?>

Ok, I stand corrected.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #36 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 6:33pm:
Hey, at least they don't do that, right?

<What?>

<What are "gold rolls"?>

Ok, I stand corrected.

Otto's boxes?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #37 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:10pm:
Otto's boxes?

Even more obvious. Those things are ridic.

Anyone know when I can buy them again?

Smiley

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:07am:
I'm sad to see tomes in the store, and not because I pulled one elsewhere and this cheapens my acheivement, nor because it bothers me to see others have nice things I don't have, but because they increase the power gap between new and existing players.

Power creep chokes off the influx of new players.

When power goes up, many people bitch it's too easy, so the devs boost monsters. The new player, without a rack of +7 tomes and Thunderforged Underpants, can't keep up in a group, gets frustrated, and quits.

Even if groups aren't a necessity anymore (both from a gamer psychology perspective and from a gameplay perspective), having a very poor "relative performance" makes the game less fun for new players. Sure, it's "just one plus", hardly matters at all. But they add up. The dev mentality that they can keep piling on one more creep because it's too small to matter is damaging to the game, and I'd like to see them stop.

hahaha!

"new players"

You are a riot.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The only point I see about the +7s is that some more difficult build options will come into play. Maybe. Or would have before they starting making the classes the same.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #40 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:07am:
Thunderforged Underpants

I think this is the best thing I have heard in a while. I have a new phrase for making fun of my idiot Mormon brother-in-law. Note: The idiot part really has nothing to do with the Mormon part, pretty sure he is just an idiot who happens to be a Mormon.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 2:51pm:
sack up and quit or keep playing and stop bitching.

This sure sounds like something a whale would say.

To be fair, I would still play, but the game has gotten so fucking easy with turbine catering to the whales I couldn't find a lick of challenge left. I cannot see swiping my credit card as a challenge or entertainment.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:02am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 8:33am:
This sure sounds like something a whale would say.

To be fair, I would still play, but the game has gotten so fucking easy with turbine catering to the whales I couldn't find a lick of challenge left. I cannot see swiping my credit card as a challenge or entertainment.

You don't have to.  There is nothing about +7 tomes that are necessary.  They add no real power.  Given that the +7 takes so long to kick in, it's not like you are thinking:  "Great.  Now I can start with an 8 dex and still take TWF with my level 24 or 27 feat."  So there is almost no build value over a +6. 

If Turbine wants to make options for whales to keep them happy and swiping, then so be it.  Lets be honest.  A +7 tome (vs. a +5 or +6) is almost a cosmetic item.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:05am
Print Post  
As an aside to that, if +7 if the new "top tier" tome, then they SHOULD up the drop rates on the 4, 5, and 6 tomes.  Right now, though, you can get to +4 pretty easily.  Getting 5's and 6's, though, is still ridiculously rare.  And that shouldn't be the case in level 28-30 quests.  A +5 is what?  ML21?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:02am:
There is nothing about +7 tomes that are necessary.

I do sometimes wonder if there is an overlap between power gaming and compulsion. I'm having much more fun aiming lower in gear & build power and getting a bit of challenge back. Removes a shitload of grind too. Horses for courses, of courses, but I find I can apply my own rule sets to produce challenge.

Iconic permadeath with flavour builds straight into Vale elite is fun, for example. Reminds me of edging through CoF back in the day. Smiley

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #45 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 11:16am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 10:32am:
I'm having much more fun aiming lower in gear & build power and getting a bit of challenge back. Removes a shitload of grind too. Horses for courses, of courses, but I find I can apply my own rule sets to produce challenge.

^This!

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:05am:
As an aside to that, if +7 if the new "top tier" tome, then they SHOULD up the drop rates on the 4, 5, and 6 tomes.  Right now, though, you can get to +4 pretty easily.  Getting 5's and 6's, though, is still ridiculously rare.  And that shouldn't be the case in level 28-30 quests.  A +5 is what?  ML21?

I don't know about UP the drop rates. I'd rather them make +6 drop anywhere else other than Necro quests and EE MoD. Not sure if they drop in EE Wyrm and Peaks as well at the moment.

They should make +6 tomes drop in the new quests on EE, the new Raid on Normal and Hard, EE Haunted Halls, EE Brothers of the Forge, EE Study in the Sable.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2015 at 11:28am by Shuy »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #47 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:05am:
  A +5 is what?  ML21?

Nope, ML 19.

+1 = ML 3
+2 = ML 7
+3 = ML 11
+4 = ML 15
+5 = ML 19
+6 = ML 23
+7 = ML 27

BTW...+7 Tomes are where they will stop. Following the chart above, a +8 tome would be ML 31. Since it has been stated NUMEROUS times by Turbine that Level 30 will be as high as DDO will go, there will be no +8 tomes as their ML level will exceed the level cap.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:19pm by Arkat »  

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #48 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
what about Wondrous Craftsmanship / Mythic / Mysterious +8 tomes

ML29 to eat, but (as will be discovered later) ML31 to take effect.
coming to DDO Store near you

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:38pm:
what about Wondrous Craftsmanship / Mythic / Mysterious +8 tomes

ML29 to eat, but (as will be discovered later) ML31 to take effect.
coming to DDO Store near you

Now I know who to blame if those show up in DDO.  Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint