Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) no thread about +7 tomes limited release? (Read 18893 times)
kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Re: no thread about +7 tomes limited release?
Reply #50 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Am I misremembering or did we have a period of loot above the cap before? Wouldn't surprise me if they just kept going and made them all ML30. I can't see them turning down revenue to follow some arbitrary numbering convention.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:02am:
There is nothing about +7 tomes that are necessary.  They add no real power. 

So there is almost no build value over a +6. 

Lets be honest.  A +7 tome (vs. a +5 or +6) is almost a cosmetic item. 

Asheras wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Getting 5's and 6's, though, is still ridiculously rare. 

You are going in circles here....

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #52 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Hiding wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:34pm:
hahaha!

"new players"

You are a riot.

I like mersault.  but I was thinking the exact.  same.  thing. Undecided

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #53 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Remember when a +1 tome upgrade was the shit? Every time they release a new one with that other +1 bonus, it was a must grind for? Now - it doesn't even fucking matter.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #54 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 10:29am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 1:21pm:
You are going in circles here....

Not really.  My point here is that there should and could be some value in tomes.  But there isn't.  The issue isn't power creep.  The issue is grind and player interest.  Turbine is bungling this massively.

They have destroyed all interest in tomes.  Mainly by completely screwing up the drop rates and locations.  They had it right with Shroud/VoD/Hound/ToD and the +3/+4's.  Everything after that is cluster fuck.  (Except a brief period where farming demonweb quests for +5 tomes was viable). 

Of course, you could argue the entire game became a cluster fuck shortly after Shroud/VoD/Hound/ToD.  2009-2011 was the apex of the game. 

My point is, there is a proper combination of tome drop rates in quests and raids at varying levels that would create more interest in tomes.  Tomes used to be treated like a holy grail when pulled despite their relatively low value to a build/power creep.  Now they are treated like Sasquatch or the Lock Ness Monster.  If someone  has a +7 tome, they most likely paid for it.  Just like someone having a picture of Nessie.  Chances are it is photoshopped, not the real deal.

And that's the real shame of this.  Because tome grinding is something people will do a lot of.  Much longer than they will grind for other gear.  Especially if the tomes are unbound.  Because that will create an AH/Shard AH economic system that will drive interest as well.  But the drop rates need to be better balanced for that to happen.

What tomes are in the store are irrelevant to the game.  If they had a viable drop rate on the 5,6, and 7's, then people would grind them in game.  Stop bitching about what tomes are in the store when the real problem is how tomes are handled in game.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2015 at 10:33am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #55 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 11:20pm:
Remember when a +1 tome upgrade was the shit? Every time they release a new one with that other +1 bonus, it was a must grind for? Now - it doesn't even fucking matter.

This is my point exactly.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #56 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 11:20pm:

lol I have felt that way since +3 tomes.  I used to be so happy to hit 1750 favor so I could pick up that +2 tome in the harbor.  now I don't give a fuck.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #57 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Come on, you can still trade it in for a few shards for a shitty crafting system!!!!

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #58 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 10th, 2015 at 10:29am:
Of course, you could argue the entire game became a cluster fuck shortly after Shroud/VoD/Hound/ToD.  2009-2011 was the apex of the game. 

Yes. The day before MOTU was released would be the apex for me.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #59 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/463874-7-Tomes-on-Sale-for-2-days

Cubed.

Predictably, Turd, Chai, Ironclown, and the other Usual Suspects got involved.

BTW...the Cube is now called "The_Mighty_Cube."  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2015 at 4:00pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #60 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
pnellesen wrote on Aug 10th, 2015 at 1:45pm:

Agree. It was fun at first because new and shiny. But the unintended consequences were rough.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
They had it right with Shroud/VoD/Hound/ToD and the +3/+4's.  Everything after that is cluster fuck.

I agree and understand your original position now.

Stop bitching about what tomes are in the store when the real problem is how tomes are handled in game.

The store is the problem. Tomes have become sales items and are treated as such. Before tomes were in the store this wasn't a problem. It just got worse over time. Started with them adding +2's. Since you could get those with favor rewards and they were pretty common by then, few objected. By the time +4's were added to the store, +3 unbounds were regular listings on the platinum based auction house. Hell, I duped the living fuck out of CR25 chests when cannith challenges was released, this gave me 100's of +3's that I needed to unload over time. I probably sold 30 or so on orien AH myself, so I know they were available for a couple mil. Ah, the good ole days when turbine had to shut down the game 3 times for 3 hotfixes in 24 hours to fix one exploit.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:44pm:
Am I misremembering or did we have a period of loot above the cap before? Wouldn't surprise me if they just kept going and made them all ML30. I can't see them turning down revenue to follow some arbitrary numbering convention.

agreed. They will just make +8 tomes ml30 and be done with it. What the fuck is anyone going to do about it anyway? Cry then buy it?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #63 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:34am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:44pm:

Yes, IIRC pre-MotU there was loot that defaulted to above level 20 ML but was lowered to the current cap so as to be usable. Then when the cap went up those item's MLs were supposed to go up.

So they probably have code written for resetting MLs to equal cap.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #64 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Hiding wrote on Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:34pm:
hahaha!

"new players"

You are a riot.

OK, so we don't have any right now, but we could get some, and we should be ready for them, right?

Right guys? Right? We could ...

Cry

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #65 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:53am
Print Post  
pnellesen wrote on Aug 10th, 2015 at 1:45pm:

Yeah, somewhere around there for me too. Maybe a bit earlier, I recall being pissed that they jumped into MOTU before cleaning up some of the crap they'd recently screwed up (LOL, if I'd only seen the future!), but I don't remember just what that crap was.

But MOTU was definitely a disappointment for me, like buying a beautifully decorated cake and finding out it's half batter inside  Sad and it has been pretty much downhill from there.

Maybe the Gianthold rework was the apex for me?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #66 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:53am:
Maybe the Gianthold rework was the apex for me?

Gianthold was a mini-apex for me too.  The raid was a palate cleanser after the mess of CiTW.  The BtCoE loot made for a robust economy.  The ONLY problem was a too-high drop rate on the scales.  People were running around in fully upgraded dragon armor two days after launch.  (And not just your crazy intense power gamers). 

It was also the first raid to be heavily affected by the Raid Bypass Timers.  A great idea in theory, but the application has tended to create problems for content longevity and the power gap between the power gamers and the rest.  I'd have liked to see raids go to a schedule like the old epics of once per 24 hours vs. being able to bypass timer them 20 times in a row.  Or at least have some daily or weekly cap, kinda like ransack.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #67 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 9:52am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Aug 10th, 2015 at 8:03pm:

I agree and understand your original position now.

The store is the problem. Tomes have become sales items and are treated as such. Before tomes were in the store this wasn't a problem. It just got worse over time. Started with them adding +2's. Since you could get those with favor rewards and they were pretty common by then, few objected. By the time +4's were added to the store, +3 unbounds were regular listings on the platinum based auction house. Hell, I duped the living fuck out of CR25 chests when cannith challenges was released, this gave me 100's of +3's that I needed to unload over time. I probably sold 30 or so on orien AH myself, so I know they were available for a couple mil. Ah, the good ole days when turbine had to shut down the game 3 times for 3 hotfixes in 24 hours to fix one exploit.

I think the store caused them to fuck up the game.  I don't think the store is a problem if they don't get greedy.  There is a way to have them in the store, make a little coin on the impatient people with disposable income, and still have them be valuable in game.  They basically have made them store only items at this point to maximize revenue, though, by dropping the drop rates to redonk levels.  Roll a 100 on d100 three times in a row to get into a table that contains a tome.  You are better off playing the daily pick 4 and buying tomes with your winnings.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #68 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I'd buy gold rolls for a chance to win a lvl 28 max gear max lives build from the store.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #69 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Bigdickrichguy wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 7:33pm:
I'd buy gold rolls for a chance to win a lvl 28 max gear max lives build from the store.

Yeah, but it'd be designed and built by the devs for what they perceive is endgame.  Good luck with that.    Sad

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #70 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 8:09pm:
Yeah, but it'd be designed and built by the devs for what they perceive is endgame.  Good luck with that.   Sad

But it would be easy for them - just follow one of the great advancement paths they made to help new players all the way to the end and ... oh, er,  Undecided

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #71 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 10th, 2015 at 8:37pm:
agreed. They will just make +8 tomes ml30 and be done with it. What the fuck is anyone going to do about it anyway? Cry then buy it? 

cry buy and whine.  the DDO player way.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #72 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Am I the only one with +4 on my main? (2 +6 got from chests)

I really don't see what all this fuss is about. If people complain about stuff being too pricy and then buy it to whine even more then, let's be honest, they're gay and retarded. Im gonna get to +5 using favors and maybe to 6 if im lucky enough to pull another tome.

There is the tiny little detail that I pulled my last tome from EE Vol when epic orchard was released....never seen a tome drop ever since not even for party members. Oh well  Tongue

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 12th, 2015 at 8:15pm:
There is the tiny little detail that I pulled my last tome from EE Vol when epic orchard was released....never seen a tome drop ever since not even for party members. Oh well  Tongue

Turbine has been known to change loot rewards to the detriment of players shortly after new content was released. Turbines motto that spans every game they have ever ran is, exploit early and often.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint