Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Caster DC's - What is the right success rate? (Read 6697 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Caster DC's - What is the right success rate?
Nov 16th, 2015 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
From Mobo's:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467721-Quest-for-the-developer-regardi...

Thread Start:
Quote:
Devs,

In your mind how often should a Finger of Death land for a PM who has the highest DC possible for the level and equipment available? Assuming no prepping like ED or enervation.

In percentage:

-Against a low-fort mob?
-Against an average mob?
-Against a brute like an ogre?

I'm just curious what your thoughts are on this.

Cordo Response:
Quote:
Oftentimes we'd prefer to flip those questions around and ask you: What would your expectations be in terms of percentages against those conditions?

Typical non-answer response.  Thread then goes on to discuss.  Mainly, should a maxxed DC caster have 95% success rate in EE on their core school?

My opinion is that cool downs and mana act as deterrents to DC casters dominating content, especially Enchantment casters, who still need help killing shit.  The Necro/Insta-Kill Caster is a slightly different animal, due to their ability to one shot stuff. 

Some folks were saying a 50% success rate on a high fort mob vs. FoD in EE, for example, for a maxxed player.  To me, that's too low.  Again, given Mana and Cool Downs, I'd want to see this:

Entry Toon/Non-DC caster
Mob's Saving Throw:      EN      EH     EE
Low Save                       95%   70%   45%
Medium Save                  80%   50%   25%
High Save                       70%   40%   10%

Average Toon/DC Caster
Low Save                       95%   90%   80%
Medium Save                  95%   80%   65%
High Save                       85%   70%   50%

Maxxed DC Caster
Low Save                       95%   95%   90%
Medium Save                  95%   95%   80%
High Save                       95%   95%   70%

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Re: Caster DC's - What is the right success rate?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Top gear/max toon should hit at 95%.

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
what's the highest necro DC possible with cookies, bards, ship buffs, Yugo pots, max INT etc etc.  I say start with that at 95% (because cookies and Yugo pots aren't permanent) and work down from there.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
painkiller wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:12pm:
what's the highest necro DC possible with cookies, bards, ship buffs, Yugo pots, max INT etc etc.  I say start with that at 95% (because cookies and Yugo pots aren't permanent) and work down from there.

we did the breakdown here on warlock release. cant find thread, I post too much to search history. low to mid 90s err, i mean, nice try, sev!
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:18pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:16pm:
we did the breakdown here on warlock release. cant find thread, I post too much to search history. low to mid 90s err, i mean, nice try, sev!

I've really made it now on the Vault, someone has accused me of being someone else!  Thanks!  Smiley

seriously though if it's mid 90s, and the EE fort saves are mid 90s what's the problem?
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:28pm by painkiller »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
painkiller wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:27pm:
seriously though if it's mid 90s, and the EE fort saves are mid 90s what's the problem?

those things called 2 to 20

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
painkiller wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:27pm:
I've really made it now on the Vault, someone has accused me of being someone else!  Thanks!  Smiley

Do you not know how saves work?   Serious question as I have the same doubts with the developers.

With how the game is not casters even with no fail DCs are shit compared to melees.   Stuff needs to change.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Shit, they could fix a lot of caster balance issues in one swoop if they made SP pots available for plat. It would also give the finger to dupers who still have pages and pages of anniversary card pots. So to Turbine's way of thinking, that'd be 2 wins. I don't know how much of a cash cow Store pots are though.

Casters pay more for their resources. It's logical that they ought to see greater returns. This translates to melee butthurt, but that can be ignored as long as people still play a variety of classes. I think it takes longer to see the results of changes to DC casting, since the ultimate test is in how many wind up in play. Ranged was not and still is not as out of balance as DC casting is.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
That comment from Cordovan made my blood boil, such asshattery.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 1:27pm:
Entry Toon/Non-DC caster
Low Save                       95%   70%   45%
Medium Save                  80%   50%   25%
High Save                       70%   40%   10%

Average Toon/DC Caster
Low Save                       95%   90%   80%
Medium Save                  95%   80%   65%
High Save                       85%   70%   50%

Maxxed DC Caster
Low Save                       95%   95%   90%
Medium Save                  95%   95%   80%
High Save                       95%   95%   70%

It's been a while since I gave actual DC casting a real go, but my experience is that at least 50% of the time you have a 0% chance cause 90% of the mobs have deathward.  Nothing like hitting wail on a DC caster you've spent months working on and seeing fuck-all happen.

The whole life in heroics everything will seem fine.  Fireballs will obliterate scores at a time.  Then you hit epics and run face first into one of Turbine's many, many fuck yous to casters.

I'm sure there are people who have awesome casters that steamroll every quest, but if you don't have all the past lives and best in slot gear yet then get used to normal or being carried through quests.

Or give up and go shiradi.  That's what I did.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:24pm by Mr Reilly »  

- Zorro

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:23pm:
It's been a while since I gave actual DC casting a real go, but my experience is that at least 50% of the time you have a 0% chance cause 90% of the mobs have deathward. 

that seems about what I see in game.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:39pm by Yobai »  

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
It's been a while since I gave actual DC casting a real go, but my experience is that at least 50% of the time you have a 0% chance cause 90% of the mobs have deathward.  Nothing like hitting wail on a DC caster you've spent months working on and seeing fuck-all happen.

The whole life in heroics everything will seem fine.  Fireballs will obliterate scores at a time.  Then you hit epics and run face first into one of Turbine's many, many fuck yous to casters.

I'm sure there are people who have awesome casters that steamroll every quest, but if you don't have all the past lives and best in slot gear yet then get used to normal or being carried through quests.

Or give up and go shiradi.  That's what I did.

There is a huge difference in old heroic content and epic content as well as some newer heroic content.  Both in terms of HP and saves.  It has a huge impact on the viability of casters.  No doubt about it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Or give up and go shiradi. 

joy proc beats the piss out of almost every build anyhow.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Casters are basically where archers were.  There was only one viable build style: furyshot slayer arrows during manyshot.  Anything else was totally ineffective.  Casters have shiradi and thats it.  Everything else is markedly worse. 

That's not a good place for a class to be.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
I don't know how much of a cash cow Store pots are though.

I know one guy in my guild bought them by the hundreds, but he doesn't really play any-more as all he really likes is DC casters, and, well, you know about DC casters  Sad

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That comment from Cordovan made my blood boil, such asshattery.

Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
I don't know how much of a cash cow Store pots are though.

I think they once posted a list of top store items, both recurring and one time (packs, races, classes, etc) and mana pots were top 5 on the recurring items list.  Right up there with Rez cakes. 

I recall there was some really stupid stuff on that list that nobody should be spending money on.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:55am
Print Post  
As a pure Fvs evocer, only content I find I cannot Implode/Soundburst + Divine Wrath something without debuffing is DoJ (I wonder why) and ToEE EE. For new packs, the Cultists in EE have some really high fortitude saves and in Archons I encounter some issues with spell resistance but other than that DC casting is still quite playable. As a side note, my Fvs only has 3 Wiz, 3 Sorc and 3 Fvs past lives.

With that being said, I feel if we are investing that heavily into a character, all the DC past lives, all the gear etc, that 95% should be achievable on all mobs and ~80% on brutes with minor/no debuffs.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:58pm:
there was some really stupid stuff on that list that nobody should be spending money on.

spending money on this game is retarded. youre keeping incompetent devs, cordovan, piaz siblings, and blatant cash rapes going so you can keep playing a game from 2006 that 85% of people stopped playing 4 years ago.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:58am:
spending money on this game is retarded. youre keeping incompetent devs, cordovan, piaz siblings, and blatant cash rapes going so you can keep playing a game from 2006 that 85% of people stopped playing 4 years ago.

yesssssss.  let the hate FLOW through you!

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
For trash 100% is too low with 50 SP cost and long ass cooldown. Meanwhile even the below-average melee and ranged players are outkilling the epitome DC caster AND get to contribute to the redname fights.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 4:04pm:
Do you not know how saves work?   Serious question as I have the same doubts with the developers.

oh shit I had it backwards.  in my head I was adding the d20 to the DC roll not the save roll.  you guys are right

<going back into lurk mode>

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:58am:

Meh.  It's still a fun game.  And cheaper than a lot of my other vices.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 10:21am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 17th, 2015 at 5:13am:
For trash 100% is too low with 50 SP cost and long ass cooldown. Meanwhile even the below-average melee and ranged players are outkilling the epitome DC caster AND get to contribute to the redname fights.

I dunno.  It can really trivialize EE content to have no fail trash instakilling, although the boss issue would still be there.  I made my percentages for EE rougher because SP pots are so common, efficiency options are common and SP doesn't seem to be much of an issue.  The Cooldown is a bigger deal.  If you can't pull 1 or 2 mobs at a time or kite a group, it's a challenge. 

I think I would rather have some better boss options than to have 100% instakill success on trash.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 17th, 2015 at 10:21am:
I think I would rather have some better boss options than to have 100% instakill success on trash.

Hasn't that always been the cornerstone of the DC vs DPS comparison? DC contributes to making trash killing faster and more trivial while DPS makes boss fights faster. The "Jack of all trades master of none" ideal comes to mind here for any form of middle ground.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint