Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Vargouille lights the fanboi signal. (Read 7262 times)
Yardarm
Ex Member

Vargouille lights the fanboi signal.
Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
After getting just swamped with people complaining about and picking apart his Xp revamp has been forced into trying to summon legions of Fanbois and Paladins to rise up and protect their overlord:

Vargouille wrote: Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. We're likely going to reconsider just how flat the curve will be, though we do want more than ~24 hours for players to give feedback before we make any firm decisions. (If you have been quietly preferring the proposed flat "curve", speak up now and be heard!)

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview/pag...
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:05pm by »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Vargouille lights the fanboi signal.
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
After getting just swamped with people complaining about and picking apart his Xp revamp has been forced into trying to summon legions of Fanbois and Paladins to rise up and protect their overlord:

Vargouille wrote:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview/pag...

You left out the part about how their new plan incentivizes people to not play epic levels for a while if they won't make it to the next level.

Given that this was overlooked on their part, I doubt that they will keep it as is, no matter how many paladins show up to support the original concept.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:34pm:
You left out the part about how their new plan incentivizes people to not play epic levels for a while if they won't make it to the next level.

I just don't have the stomach for a trip to the motherboards, would you explain this one?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Endlessorrow
Korthos Resident

All is loss, the taste
of joy has become ashes.

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I don't know if he is summoning Fan Boys so much as reacting to past experience when the forum seemed overwhelmingly of one opinion then after the devs made a change to reflect that opinion People came out against that change.

The result may well be a summon Fanboy spell was cast, but I really think they feel the damed if you do damned if you dont syndrome concerning the forums. Varg wants to have something to point to and say, "Why didn't you speak up earlier."

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Endlessorrow wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:53pm:
Varg wants to have something to point to and say, "Why didn't you speak up earlier."

Technically, it's a Summon Fanboi spell. They only cast it when opinion is against what the devs have decided they will do. If opinion is in favor, no such spells are cast.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Yardarm
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Endlessorrow wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:53pm:
I don't know if he is summoning Fan Boys so much as reacting to past experience when the forum seemed overwhelmingly of one opinion then after the devs made a change to reflect that opinion People came out against that change.

The result may well be a summon Fanboy spell was cast, but I really think they feel the damed if you do damned if you dont syndrome concerning the forums. Varg wants to have something to point to and say, "Why didn't you speak up earlier."

Sorrow? That is some grade A bullshit. Total and utter bullshit. Good to see you're not breaking character.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:12pm by »  

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Vargouille wrote:

That is a terrible way to seek unbiased feedback.
You can smell the butt hurt that no-one likes his pet project.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:14pm by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Yardarm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 5:49pm:
I just don't have the stomach for a trip to the motherboards, would you explain this one?

As usual Ash being a half of a fanboi himself decided to misinterpret the exchanges, here it is, btw using the fucking link next time.

Vag wrote: Quote:
Toxxxyk wrote Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyk  View Post
Instead, you should recalculate the xp, so that if I'm 90% done level 25, when I log in after the expansion, I'm 90% done level 25. There are no downsides to this over what you've proposed.

Since a couple of people have brought this up:

There is a major downside to this proposal: Players are strongly incentivized to stop playing DDO right now, this instant, because this unfairly rewards XP to those who happen to have stopped getting XP at a particular time/level.

Under this proposal, anyone who has exactly enough XP to gain level 22 should probably stop playing, especially if they think they won't hit level 23 before Update 29 comes out (maybe stop playing today, maybe in a week, etc.), or maybe get some alts up to exactly level 22 (or 21 or 23 or whatever breakpoint you think makes sense). Otherwise they are "wasting their time" because instead of playing they could just wait and get "free XP" for choosing to not play DDO.

While we will probably consider a more gently sloped curve, the same issue is likely to be there in some form. There's really no world in which we want to explicitly reward not playing the game. (Considering it's entirely fair to ask each character to earn the same amount of XP to earn the same levels, ultimately, we're willing to deal with the downsides, which we do recognize as being real downsides.)

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Yeah, this:
Revaulting wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:08pm:
Technically, it's a Summon Fanboi spell. They only cast it when opinion is against what the devs have decided they will do. If opinion is in favor, no such spells are cast.

and this:
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:11pm:
That is a terrible way to seek unbiased feedback.
You can smell the butt hurt that no-one likes like pet project.

If they actually:
A)Regularly asked for feedback this way
and
B)Listened (not necessarily followed, but listened and at least give an honest explanation why they didn't follow it)

then this would be reasonable. But they don't, so it's just another slimy VagOil population manipulation ploy.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There's really no world in which we want to explicitly reward not playing the game.

Someone should tell him about XP stones.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:57pm:

OMG, so funny! I peed a little.

Anyone have a active mobo sock? Revault's line MUST BE POSTED with the Varg quote. Make it happen people.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2015 at 7:01pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Soulless187
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:59pm:
OMG, so funny! I peed a little.

Anyone have a active mobo sock? Revault's line MUST BE POSTED with the Varg quote. Make it happen people.

Post #205 page 11  Wink

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Soulless187 wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 10:13pm:
Post #205 page 11

Infraction ETA?

IP Logged

Soulless187
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Nov 19th, 2015 at 12:07am:
Infraction ETA?

Well...ill post it when it happens...morning would be my guess when  jerry rolls his ass out of bed looking for last nights left over doughnuts and pizza

IP Logged

Episkopos
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Soulless187 wrote on Nov 19th, 2015 at 12:22am:
Well...ill post it when it happens...morning would be my guess when  jerry rolls his ass out of bed looking for last nights left over doughnuts and pizza

I had an all-too-vivid picture of Jerry doing this in my mind right now. Thanks for making me laugh my ass off.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 6:57pm:

This lol

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
As usual Ash being a half of a fanboi himself decided to misinterpret the exchanges, here it is, btw using the fucking link next time.

Vag wrote:

There is a major downside to this proposal: Players are strongly incentivized to stop playing DDO right now, this instant, because this unfairly rewards XP to those who happen to have stopped getting XP at a particular time/level.

Under this proposal, anyone who has exactly enough XP to gain level 22 should probably stop playing, especially if they think they won't hit level 23 before Update 29 comes out (maybe stop playing today, maybe in a week, etc.), or maybe get some alts up to exactly level 22 (or 21 or 23 or whatever breakpoint you think makes sense). Otherwise they are "wasting their time" because instead of playing they could just wait and get "free XP" for choosing to not play DDO.

While we will probably consider a more gently sloped curve, the same issue is likely to be there in some form. There's really no world in which we want to explicitly reward not playing the game. (Considering it's entirely fair to ask each character to earn the same amount of XP to earn the same levels, ultimately, we're willing to deal with the downsides, which we do recognize as being real downsides.)
[/quote]

I wasn't trying to be a fanboi.  I misunderstood what Varg was talking about.  I thought there was something in the current TURBINE proposal that would incentivize players to not play.  But that's not the case.  A PLAYER proposal would create that incentive and Varg was responding as to why they wouldn't do that. 

In reading his post, I thought the comments about incentivizing players to not play were related to them looking at the XP curve.  They are not.  It's two different things. 

My bad. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
There's really no world in which we want to explicitly reward not playing the game unless we are making money from it.

Here is the correct version of what Varg meant.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Soulless187 wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 10:13pm:
Post #205 page 11  Wink

GJ.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Vag wrote: Quote:

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As usual Ash being a half of a fanboi himself decided to misinterpret the exchanges

half a fanboi - half a brain.  tomato - potato.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 9:17pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Soulless187
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 9:18pm
Print Post  

Well no infraction and no pm from jerry...just ignored, some one posted a +1...meh I wanted more popcorn from this Sad

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Soulless187 wrote on Nov 19th, 2015 at 9:18pm:
Well no infraction and no pm from jerry...just ignored, some one posted a +1...meh I wanted more popcorn from this

Truth usually riles them up something fierce, too.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  

Rerro Fraggots,
Mry name is Scrooby, rand I hrate every sringle one of you. Arll of roo are frat, retarded, ro-rives roo sprend revery second rof their day rooking rat stupid rass prictures. Roo rar reverything brad rin the rorld. Ronestly, rave rany of roo rever grotten any prussy? Ri mean, Ri guess rit's frun making frun rof preople brecause of rour rown rinsecurities, brut roo rall trake tro ra whrole rew revel. Rhis ris reven wrorse rhan rerking roff tro pictures ron fracebook.
Ron't be ra stranger. Rust rhit re rith rour brest shrot. Ri'm pretty mruch perfect. Ri was rhe read of mry rown shrow, and frucked rover ghrosts. Rhat sprorts dro roo pray, rother rhan "jrack roff tro raked rawn jrapanese preople"? Ri ralso gret scooby shnacks, rand hrave ra branging hrot grirlfriend (Shre just threw me shome schrooby shnacks; Shrit ras RHO rhash). Roo rare rall raggots whro shrould jrust rhill roorshelves. Rhanks fror ristening.
Ric Rhelated: Rit's rhe rand mry ritch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint