Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) 'DDO Players' chats with Sev. Notes. (Read 10706 times)
Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: 'DDO Players News' chats with Sev. Notes.
Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Iconic Deep Gnomes? Gay. VERY gay.

Regular (Rock) Gnomes, ok...I guess. Still don't think they add anything to the game.

Tiefling? Yeah, I'm all for adding them but only if they add Aasimars at the same time as some sort of "planetouched"-themed update.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #26 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
U29 loot, The Feather Awakens
please join me in laughing my ass off

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:58am:
Isn't Sev leaving?  The new Producer could completely change the delivery of updates?

For a guy who has been "leaving" for like six months, Sev certainly seems to have lots of plans in place.

In other words, Sev ain't going anywhere.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #28 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:41pm:
I disagree with you.

They need to pull their heads out of their asses and stop listening people such as Fraan the retard and Uurlock "yes, fuck me harder master!"

I don't want trash monsters that can one shot. We already have them against everyone that doesn't wear heavy armor. I want to be able to explore and do something different than get in the room, kill everything, invisible barrier drops, corridor, next room full of trash, rinse and repeat for x amount of time, boss.

DDO is becoming a simple box where players are locked in a dps race against a mob

That's a nice idea, but without focusing on absolutely nothing but new content, totallly naive and impossible. The devs make a hard crazy puzzle. It takes them a long time to create and release. What happens next?

Someone figures it out. Someone then figures out how to do it faster. Then there's a video, a walkthrough, and DDOWiki has the map.

Over, done, not a challenge, and if it takes extra time to do the puzzles, then people don't run it unless there's a loot carrot.

So, no matter, some combination of challenge from mobs, loot that's hard to get, and balance among quests for those two things has to be achieved, or else everyone zergs the fastest quest for XP, or just plays the one over and over again with the good piece of loot until they get it.

This was less of an issue when random loot could drop raid equivalent items, albeit extremely rarely. Mysterious remnants is actually, in my mind, the making of an EXCELLENT system whereby they need to massively increase the number of things you can buy with them, and fashion it into a full fledged crafting system. This alone would keep people running content at level (any level) to get good unique loot and buffs.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:38pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #29 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:37pm:
That's a nice idea, but without focusing on absolutely nothing but new content, totallly naive and impossible. The devs make a hard crazy puzzle. It takes them a long time to create and release. What happens next?

Someone figures it out. Someone then figures out how to do it faster. Then there's a video, a walkthrough, and DDOWiki has the map.

Over, done, not a challenge, and if it takes extra time to do the puzzles, then people don't run it unless there's a loot carrot.

So, no matter, some combination of challenge from mobs, loot that's hard to get, and balance among quests for those two things has to be achieved, or else everyone zergs the fastest quest for XP, or just plays the one over and over again with the good piece of loot until they get it.

This was less of an issue when random loot could drop raid equivalent items, albeit extremely rarely. Mysterious remnants is actually, in my mind, the making of an EXCELLENT system whereby they need to massively increase the number of things you can buy with them, and fashion it into a full fledged crafting system. This alone would keep people running content at level (any level) to get good unique loot and buffs.

That's the whole point!
Why release an update every 2 or 3 months when you don't even have time to test? (and results are laid bare for everyone to see given the abundance of bugs and glitches). Lammania has been open for a few hours for each update lately.

I'd rather them to focus on a couple of updates per year even if they cost 20 bucks each if it means to get actual updates and not fucking brawling arenas.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:53pm:
~Arkat attempting to tap dance away from two questions that would prove terribly embarrassing for him~

LOL 

Thanks! just about the kinda of gutless dodge I expected from you, so glad to see the training worked, now roll over and sit fido.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:53pm:
Iconic Deep Gnomes? Gay. VERY gay.

Regular (Rock) Gnomes, ok...I guess. Still don't think they add anything to the game.

Tiefling? Yeah, I'm all for adding them but only if they add Aasimars at the same time as some sort of "planetouched"-themed update.

Regular Gnomes won't fly because traditional Gnomes are +2 con.  And they want to do a casting stat race.  That means Svirfneblin. 

Tiefling and Aasimar would be cool.

IP Logged

Endlessorrow
Korthos Resident

All is loss, the taste
of joy has become ashes.

Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
[quote author=4E7D74596B70180 link=1448145549/31#31 date=1448234009]

Regular Gnomes won't fly because traditional Gnomes are +2 con.  And they want to do a casting stat race.  That means Svirfneblin. 

[/quote

Svirfneblin I get the reasoning but I hope we don't have purple gnomes running around all over the place. Undecided

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 4:02pm:
Lammania has been open for a few hours for each update lately.

what the fuk is up with that? every time now. lama used to be open for days/weeks.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:36pm:
what the fuk is up with that? every time now. lama used to be open for days/weeks.

Was wondering that the other day myself.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:25pm
Print Post  

They know it is used for exploit testing, so in their minds it limits the opportunity I guess.
Also, I'm assuming they don't want too much negative feedback either, so it is damage mitigation too.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:37pm:

They should explore the concept of randomness for variability.
I've read some good suggestions in old threads.

Randomise quests as much as is practical.
This could include, but not be limited too:
1. Paths - some doors perma locked and others not, depending on instance. Have more than a few combos, so it is not easily learnable.
2. Traps - location, effect and DC.
3. Mobs - location, quantum and abilities.
4. Boss location and abilities.
5. Boss AI - have the boss have different scripts as they did in Night Revels.  Each instance had the bosses exhibiting different behaviours/spells to a limited extent.

More work - sure a little, but less than a whole new quest and the replayability is better, so the content should last longer.

I'd love to see them develop 3D traps that come from the floor and ceiling too, but I think that would take a lot more work unfortunately.

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:42pm by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Quote:
Did you also catch how far back Arty's were in Sev's list of class passes? dead last.

Which means they will get the biggest buffs when it comes time to "rebalance" them.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 5:39pm:
-Hope to have all Class Passes done by end of 2016, might slip into 2017.

That' s a really long term plan.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 1:07pm:
"I'm still having tons of fun. IDK why people are leaving. I've been playing for almost 3 years, only have 1 greensteel item, 16 toons I play, and rarely play in epics. No doom have a chill pill." - scipiojedi

LOL. I thought you we're exaggerating but it's real. He really thinks he is playing the game with 16 toons and no epics.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #40 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:32am:
LOL. I thought you we're exaggerating but it's real. He really thinks he is playing the game with 16 toons and no epics.

Well, my Static Group ( playing since 2006, flowersniffing, gimps, quests once on normal and playing 2/3 hours a week. ) has barely reached LVL 23.
So I can clearly envision somebody with 16 toons that hasn't started Epic after 3 years of gaming... Though that's more the exception to the rule.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2015 at 5:30am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #41 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 5:30am:
Well, my Static Group ( playing since 2006, flowersniffing, gimps, quests once on normal and playing 2/3 hours a week. ) has barely reached LVL 23.
So I can clearly envision somebody with 16 toons that hasn't started Epic after 3 years of gaming... Though that's more the exception to the rule.

That's ok. You may have a flower sniffing group to have that kind of fun too. I have one (and only one) too. But one person with 16 different toons almost never going into epics. I mean you get at least 1 toon into epics even out of curiosity.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #42 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 5:53am:
That's ok. You may have a flower sniffing group to have that kind of fun too. I have one (and only one) too. But one person with 16 different toons almost never going into epics. I mean you get at least 1 toon into epics even out of curiosity.

I think it just shows how many different segments of the player base there is.  Most players on this forum, and even the MoBo, only represent a small minority of the player base and are pretty homogeneous. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #43 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:40pm:
They should explore the concept of randomness for variability.
I've read some good suggestions in old threads.

Randomise quests as much as is practical.
This could include, but not be limited too:
1. Paths - some doors perma locked and others not, depending on instance. Have more than a few combos, so it is not easily learnable.
2. Traps - location, effect and DC.
3. Mobs - location, quantum and abilities.
4. Boss location and abilities.
5. Boss AI - have the boss have different scripts as they did in Night Revels.  Each instance had the bosses exhibiting different behaviours/spells to a limited extent.

More work - sure a little, but less than a whole new quest and the replayability is better, so the content should last longer.

I'd love to see them develop 3D traps that come from the floor and ceiling too, but I think that would take a lot more work unfortunately.

Some of the best quests in the game (All the Vale flaggers, Monastery, Foundation of Discord, Vol, all the ToD flaggers in Amrath for example) have dynamic components.  I love that stuff.  Makes it really fun to repeat the content.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 8:19pm
Print Post  

They do that so they can say Lamm was open.  Closing it after a couple of hours just gives players no time to test and comment.  Then it goes live broken.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Re: 'DDO Players' chats with Sev. Notes.
Reply #45 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 8:45pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #46 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
InBones wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:36pm:
As long as challenge is done RIGHT, I positively love it. Sadly, this is Turdbine... Not much room for optimism on making Bosses/Monsters smart and challenging, instead of brain dead sacks of HP.  Roll Eyes

These Devs have fallen into what I like to calI "Ninja Gaiden Douchebaggery."

They can't add challenge by creating new Mob AI or difficult terrain or interesting plot/ quest mechanics, so they just give every trash monster all the "bullshit asshole" abilities and keep punching the players where it hurts.

Every melee has 120 STR and 1 Rogue level for Fort  bypass, with 10 bazillion HP.
Every caster has Quicken, Maximize, Greater Dispel, Distinegrate, Searing Light, Enervation/ Energy Drain, Horrid Wilting.
All have grossly inflated CR and saves.
All (or almost all) have Deathblock, or effects that prevent instant kills.

And of course, to really bring the Dick Punch, they appear 100 at a time for immediate Red Dungeon Alert.

That's not "challenge." That's just fucking lazy design. Swamp 'em with trash, hit save and compile, grab a coffee and head down to Pac-Man LARP.

Also, Sverfneblin before Duergar is fucking bullshit.  Angry

I am pro- Tiefling however.  Cool

EDIT: I forgot all the caster mobs have infinite Spell Points as well.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:49pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Re: 'DDO Players' chats with Sev. Notes.
Reply #47 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:48pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:27am:
Tieflings would make me play.
Also, how about more than 5 hours of new content every half a year Turbine ?

Producing content at the rate players can burn through it is literally an impossible demand

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #49 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 25th, 2015 at 5:29pm:
Producing content at the rate players can burn through it is literally an impossible demand

This.  They can never make content fast enough.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint