Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) First look at Legendary greensteel from Vag. (Read 15461 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: First look at Legendary greensteel from Vag.
Reply #50 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 2:52pm:
but it's not like you need triple fucking completionist with +7 tomes to play at "good" level.

no, but there wasnt a reason to have alts since every thing was bound and epic trs. why waste time when you could make your 1 toon miles better

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #51 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
If there's no reason and you are having fun with one character, that's perfectly fine.
I'd get too bored. What if there's some ee raid cooking and you are in heroics for example ? Or you wanna play completely different thing like right the fuck now ? I have three gimps with epic completionist now though so maybe I have played "a bit" too much Tongue

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #52 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:04am:
Sorry sir, but this just isn't true. "End game" has never been more approachable than now - for any "skill" level. You can absolutely join any raid with tier 1 TF and commendation gear.
I have never seen any negative attitude to anyone being new to content if they say so.

While I'm glad to hear the community is more supportive and understanding than they've been in the past, I've recently heard complaints, from people I know well in real life, about how frustrating and humiliating it is to be "that player" who can't kill anything and dies when nobody else does.

Even if people are kind about it and offer to let the poor gimp pike, it's still bad for the game. Most people play these games to be a hero, not a charity case, and being stuck as the latter through a long grind causes a lot of people to just give up.

I don't mean to downplay the importance of your observation, a supportive community can go a long way towards covering for the incompetence of the game designers. But I think the really powerful stuff you have to be a whale or an insane power gamer to get in less than half a year is bad for the game in the long run and it sounds like what we have here.

And maybe the "random lootgen" and Cannith Crafting passes will address this by bringing random loot and crafted loot to the 60-80% power range so the power and grind of this won't be an issue, it's still too early to call doom. However, Turdbin's past performance does leave me, ah, concerned, as to how this will play out.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:02pm:
While I'm glad to hear the community is more supportive and understanding than they've been in the past, I've recently heard complaints, from people I know well in real life, about how frustrating and humiliating it is to be "that player" who can't kill anything and dies when nobody else does.

Even if people are kind about it and offer to let the poor gimp pike, it's still bad for the game. Most people play these games to be a hero, not a charity case, and being stuck as the latter through a long grind causes a lot of people to just give up.

I don't mean to downplay the importance of your observation, a supportive community can go a long way towards covering for the incompetence of the game designers. But I think the really powerful stuff you have to be a whale or an insane power gamer to get in less than half a year is bad for the game in the long run and it sounds like what we have here.

And maybe the "random lootgen" and Cannith Crafting passes will address this by bringing random loot and crafted loot to the 60-80% power range so the power and grind of this won't be an issue, it's still too early to call doom. However, Turdbin's past performance does leave me, ah, concerned, as to how this will play out.

I understand your concerns.  I'm not a power gamer either and I agree with most of your points.

The thing I like about a GS2 type of system is that you can progress toward it as it is less random.  So whether I play 40hrs or 1hr per week, I have a sense of progress.

The other option is the random loot and quest loot - which is random and means you could run a 1,000 times and not ever see it.  I believe that was the old SCroll/seal/shard system, and I find that more frustrating.  No sense of progress.

As for power balance, if the random loot and quest loot is "good" and the raid loot is "great", then I'd be happy with that, because I can still participate even if I don't raid a lot.

A side benefit if the random loot is indeed better, is that it will also help the AH and ASAH and kick start the game economy again.  This means non power gamers can access saleable items to bolster their weaknesses.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #54 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:45pm:
The thing I like about a GS2 type of system is that you can progress toward it as it is less random.  So whether I play 40hrs or 1hr per week, I have a sense of progress.

Agreed, I think this is why Crystal Cove Crafting was so popular. For a little grind you got a decent item, for a chunk more a very nice item, and for a ton more an excellent item that was that extra +1 better. And people did indeed grind for that extra +1, but they saw progress the whole way and you could run in a group with a mix of items and the tier 3 would outperform the tier 1, but not by a huge margin, enough to notice but not enough to demoralize. And you could grind that single tier 3 item in a weekend or two.

And you could get it for your gimp alts, and if all you had was gimp characters you could group with just a friend or two and still get it. It wasn't as good as raid gear, but it was close enough that you could run tier 3 cove gear in a raid and still be on the scoreboard.

I do like the basics of this system, it's the details that bug me. Constant observable progress is a great thing, being able to swap out parts is a great thing, and picking a ML that gives it some life without unbalancing too many levels is great. But they need a decent drop rate, a source outside the raid (like Devil Assault to get GS mats), and a reasonably accessible mechanic (like a 20th run) to get the extraction tools. I guess we'll see soon enough, but so far I'm not convinced either way.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2015 at 10:56pm by Meursault »  

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #55 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 1:08am
Print Post  
"from Vag" is not the best thing to put in a thread title unless that thread is exclusively dedicated to "Tales From The Vagina."

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #56 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:00am:
Yeah, that's fine, but then they need a way to get "raid capable" gear outside raids. There is no reasonable entry point for new players. Just in case any wander in. Ever  Undecided

Have you seen Epic Orchard gear?

You know you can craft T2 TF without running the raid?

Heard of ToEE? Devils's Gambit? Shavarath 2 Electric Boogaloo? Good non-raid loot in all of those packs.

Sure best in slots are mostly raid loot right now, but it's not knife to gunfight.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #57 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:10am:
Have you seen Epic Orchard gear?

You know you can craft T2 TF without running the raid?

Heard of ToEE? Devils's Gambit? Shavarath 2 Electric Boogaloo? Good non-raid loot in all of those packs.

Sure best in slots are mostly raid loot right now, but it's not knife to gunfight.

Actually, I didn't know you could craft T2 TF without running the raid, that's good to know, thanks!

Mostly I've been sticking with bringing alts up through heroics and getting some HTRs for them because I didn't want to invest time in something that wasn't finished and was likely to change, and also I've been playing more "vault" than DDO, so it hasn't really been an issue for me.

But I was starting to wonder if things were stable enough to be worth picking up some of those (except Orchard, got that already) if they have a decent sale at Christmas.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 11:03am:
Actually, I didn't know you could craft T2 TF without running the raid, that's good to know, thanks!

Mostly I've been sticking with bringing alts up through heroics and getting some HTRs for them because I didn't want to invest time in something that wasn't finished and was likely to change, and also I've been playing more "vault" than DDO, so it hasn't really been an issue for me.

But I was starting to wonder if things were stable enough to be worth picking up some of those (except Orchard, got that already) if they have a decent sale at Christmas.

Play the game.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 1:08am:
"from Vag" is not the best thing to put in a thread title unless that thread is exclusively dedicated to "Tales From The Vagina."

Lam release notes on next update dropping. AKA The Vag monologues?

IP Logged

davenot
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Getting sick of the guys on mobo complaining about stat bumps. It's pretty obvious that the stat bumps are a side way to increase DC's as well, the impact of say +8 total stat bump is much larger for a DC focused character than any other in the current environs.

Granted being able to pack them all into one item is huge as well, but if you have any familiarity with the hurdles DC casters are facing, and you look at the other feat and destiny changes it doesn't take a genius to see who they are directed at.

The irony is that many of the fools complaining about it are DC complainers worried that it will put the Melee and ranged toons even farther ahead of them! These guys are such a lost cause, I wouldn't be surprised if they fuck this up with all the complaints.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:01pm by »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #61 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
The stat bump complainers haven't played on Lamannia either. The legendary elite verion of HoX is rough. Stat bumps are needed.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

davenot
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Very good point. It's so infuriating that these people don't take the time to actually research before they complain. That kind of ignorant posting is damaging.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #63 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Indeed. Fran, et al. have done way more harm to this game than good.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 5:01pm:
legendary elite

Wait. Are you fucking telling me they're splitting Legendary up into E/H/N/C?!

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 7:10am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Dec 7th, 2015 at 6:45am:
they're splitting Legendary up into E/H/N/C?!

That seems to be the case so far. Doubt it's subject to change at all.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #66 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Since when is 'C' an option for raids?

Aint it LN, LH, LE?

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #67 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 10:16am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Dec 7th, 2015 at 6:45am:
Wait. Are you fucking telling me they're splitting Legendary up into E/H/N/C?!

Why wouldn't they? Are you confusing it with Reaper? They're two different things, Reaper looks like it's back on the maybe-soon pile.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 10:19am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Dec 7th, 2015 at 8:17am:
Aint it LN, LH, LE?

Whats the difference, all points considered? Call a spade a spade and move on.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Dec 7th, 2015 at 8:17am:
Since when is 'C' an option for raids?

Aren't they making Legendary quests too? Maybe not in this update, but the buzzword I keep seeing is "Legendary content", not "Legendary raids".

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Dec 7th, 2015 at 6:29pm:
Aren't they making Legendary quests too? Maybe not in this update, but the buzzword I keep seeing is "Legendary content", not "Legendary raids".

The two Vale quests should be legendary assuming they're Level 31 or greater.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint