Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Warlock Players Only (Read 13925 times)
Dispel
Ex Member

Warlock Players Only
Feb 11th, 2016 at 4:27am
Print Post  
---> How do you play your warlock? <---

I play a human 20warlock Taint Eater.

Soul Eater max, Tainted Scholar to 30% crit.
80+ CHA, 80+ Necro DC, mid-50s spell pen.
Trash: Devour the Soul, Hurl through Hell, FoD SLA, Wail
Bosses: Eldritch Wave, Consume, Stricken, etc. (Maximize, Empower, Intensify)

BTW: When I first came back you guys said DC casters were dead and to go INT based for more spellcraft. That was some gimpy fucking advice. Can't get over 200 kills in LH Shroud like that. Maybe 45 or so by part 5. Jesus. But go ahead tell me how you play yours. #curiousbutnotbicurious
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2016 at 4:29am by »  

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Re: Warlock Players Only
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 6:27am
Print Post  
I have a wiz guildie with mid 60 spell pen who can't FoD troglo in LH shroud because of their spell resistance. Tell me how you succed with mid 50  Huh

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 7:52am
Print Post  
You are two nerfs to the blast dps later and also after the release of new casting feats, legendary feats, and improvements to dcs in the range of +10.  You might as well say that pre-enhancement pass mechanics were said to be gimp and that's bad advice.   Game changes over time.   You should know that by now. 

Your current build is a solid option for an end game warlock.  There are several.   But as noted you spell pen is lacking.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 7:52am:
You are two nerfs to the blast dps later and also after the release of new casting feats, legendary feats, and improvements to dcs in the range of +10.  You might as well say that pre-enhancement pass mechanics were said to be gimp and that's bad advice.   Game changes over time.   You should know that by now. 

Your current build is a solid option for an end game warlock.  There are several.   But as noted you spell pen is lacking. 

Dispel is trolling.

Your well reasoned reply is wasted on him.

You might just as well be explaining that Toughness no longer offers the same utility as it did before the enhancement pass.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Dispel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:36am
Print Post  
@ Spell pen issue.
- I succeed in LH Shroud quite a lot with my spell pen. While Hurl may bypass it, I still succeed with FoD SLA and Wail all the time. LE is a different story, but I still manage. Hurl and Devour work best in there because everything's Fortitude is so freaking high.'

@ Trolling.
- I'm not. I just see a lot of people playing Warlock the old way. Some don't even do blasts they do the pewpew stance as if LGS DoT items were still a thing.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:39am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:17am:
You might just as well be explaining that Toughness no longer offers the same utility as it did before the enhancement pass.

Wut? I guess this means my chars shouldn't have Toughness at 1 anymore.  FRED!!!!!

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Quote:
@ Spell pen issue.
- I succeed in LH Shroud quite a lot with my spell pen.

Uh huh. Where people with mid 60 have a moderate success you succeed "quite a lot" with mid 50. Must be another case of crazy high rolls when you never score less than 16

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:53am:
Must be another case of crazy high rolls when you never score less than 16

I used to play Pen and Paper with a guy who seemed to have an interesting amount of 20s on his 20 sided die.  He could roll it and somehow know he'd critted without even looking at how it landed.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 6:27am:
I have a wiz guildie with mid 60 spell pen who can't FoD troglo in LH shroud because of their spell resistance. Tell me how you succed with mid 50 

You sure your guildie has mid 60? My wiz sits at 55 and I don't fail on anything above a 3 on LH. Kobold have ~60 and the Gnolls have ~65 so they are a bit more challenging. LE is a different story.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Loaded dice?

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:09am:
You sure your guildie has mid 60? My wiz sits at 55 and I don't fail on anything above a 3 on LH. Kobold have ~60 and the Gnolls have ~65 so they are a bit more challenging. LE is a different story.

64 and I'm almost completely sure it was a LH run (we were farming). I'm not excluding it COULD have been a LE run though.
It's like if I'm losing my...my...my...

Tongue

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Lol. Go and check in an LH and then in an LE. Will be easy to tell with just the first few mobs in P1.

IP Logged

Dispel
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Mid 50s all you need in LH. I have screenshots of me getting 193 kills BEFORE I did my last 2 wizard lives which I just completed for +4 to my spell pen. Also, I didn't even use the Tainted Scholar line for another +2 from the core abilities. I use Exalted Angel btw. Magister would lower my DCs but put me over 60 spell pen.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 10:08am
Print Post  
55 should be fine for LH.  You will see the occasional shield.  It won't cut it in LE though.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Durk wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:39am:
Wut? I guess this means my chars shouldn't have Toughness at 1 anymore.  FRED!!!!!

LOL, yeah, last night I went on for an hour and was poking around with a bank mule, I still had toughness at 1 and swapped it. And that's been how many years, now? I just think about how hard this makes the game for new players - they may look for advice online and have no idea it was completely invalidated by a Turdbin resume padding change 6 months ago. We may know Turdbin breaks stuff just because, but new players aren't going to know that  Sad

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Dispel
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
SO back on topic... tell me about your warlocks.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
SO back on topic... tell me about your warlocks.

You didn't make this thread to talk about warlocks. You made it to talk about your 193+ kills in LH Shroud. Bragging of kills is yesterdays news.

IP Logged

Dispel
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:46am:
You didn't make this thread to talk about warlocks. You made it to talk about your 193+ kills in LH Shroud. Bragging of kills is yesterdays news.

Did I mention it in the main post? No.

Did I mention it to the retard that thinks mid-50 spell pen isn't good enough in LH Shroud? Yes.

Am I still requesting the same unfulfilled request after posting kill count in LH Shroud? Yes.

Are you retarded? Yes.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Taint Eater.

Heh. Too funny.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:10am:
Loaded dice?

LOL, no.  He'd roll the dice and say whatever number he wanted.  Never saw a guy roll so many 20s.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Better off with Ruin/gRuin and arcane pulse, with force spec and no utterdark blast, for boss dps. As for spell pen, I am not sure where the mid 60s failing is coming from...I am upper 50s close to 60 and am fine. Don't fail spell pen on trogs...

The main issue is that fort saves on LE shroud are ~100. Dc 115 melee stuns/dire charge fail. DCs in the 80s on finger are guaranteed fail, while will saves are about half that with upper 60s holds succeeding most of the time and DC 75 will based instakills no failing.

There is no point in attempting to utilize fort based instakills on LE. Hurl/Devour for priority targets and Hold/DPS on the rest. LH is a different story. DC Warlocks WALK through LH Shroud, and even LE Tempest spine. I am no fail in LE TS, and completely destroy it. All of the twelve quests, including the U28 have atrociously high saves. There is no reason a character that has sacrificed all DPS to MAX out DC should not be at least a 50% success rate without debuffing. I was walking through EE Subversion with a 82 DC and failing fingers on mobs I had enervated 2-3 times. WTF?
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2016 at 1:36pm by Sergod »  

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 1:35pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Dispel
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I agree 100% with Sergod. He's the one that suggested I go Taint Eater. He has a better setup than I do and what he just told you is so true. LE has ridiculous saves. I hopped into a few LE To Curse the Sky with Magnito and his blastiness + 4pal just won over compared to me on my last life. My last life was a gimpy wizzy though (for spell pen) with about 600 HP but still. I struggled to do anything there. (also no gear like an INT item probably accounted towards some of that)

Also for some reason no forum links work for me and I can't sign into the game. I can go to Forgotton Realms but not anywhere in Ebberon. DNS issue?

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I am probably just going to go Human or Drow Sorc and spec for aoe dps and mass hold. I may go ES warlock with enough cha to hurl on EE. IDK.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I wish they would make the mob's saves visible in their examine window or in the Monster Manual with their HP when you achieve mastery.  Why do we have to guess at this shit based on Combat Log analysis?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint