Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Crystal Cove Hats (Read 13381 times)
mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Crystal Cove Hats
Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:24pm:
I'm going to buy a portable computer soon and refurbished laptops seem to be the best value for money.

The dell insperions and latitudes come standard with the integrated 4400 HD gpu. Don't expect much gaming with it, but it should be fine for ddo. They do have other graphics options that would be advisable. The 4400 is just so weak....

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #26 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:16pm:
Ok, so you're over in Australia. I'm not actually sure what $600 AU dollars translates to in American currency Tongue But here's the thing:

You can get a brand new laptop http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-11-3162-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family starting at about $300. You can get a brand new, really good laptop for $550. That means the hardware is modern(vs hardware from a few years ago, you'd be amazed how much can change in just a few years) and a brand new unit is always going to have a better operational lifespan than a refurbished unit.

Think of it this way: the machine id designed with an operational lifespan of about 5 years. Even refurbished, the hardware litterally decays. So if you buy a 2-3 year old refurbished machine, you've only got so much time left on it. It doesn't matter how repairable it is, replacement parts will cost more than you spent on it.

Obviously I'm not telling you how to live your life, but I've bought a loooooot of computers in my life. A lot of new, a lot of used, a lot of refurbs. For the money, new is always better. This is double true for laptops.

Thanks for the feedback.

My considerations are mainly based on this forum.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/130

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 1:04am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:33am:
I only put Kobold Haste II on it.  Why waste green stones on making the kobolds faster when you probably wont be running the event for very long.

The kobold speed boost is supposed to also work in the cannith challenges.  The loot from those has some gems.  Personally I can't see the speed difference.  I often forget to grab the damn hat when CC opens for 2 days or whatever.  If I bother at all, and there are still a few items from there that I wouldn't mind having.

Astraghal wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:24pm:
http://www.dell.com/learn/au/en/audhs1/campaigns/dell-outlet-au

Considering the Dell range of refurbished machines, the Latitude seems to be the most durable, upgradable, repairable unit.

Dell and 'upgradable' can be two separate things entirely.  Dell likes to use proprietary connectors to force people to buy their spares, especially with power supplies.  If you can find out how many memory slots the mobo has, and how large a memory stick each one can hold, more power to you.  They don't usually publish that information and you might find that you can't even add more memory.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 5:59pm:
It wasn't even power creep; it was Talons, from The Deck of Many Things.

The last time I saw a DM use one of those, the Vow of Poverty Monk drew that card. We all had quite the laugh.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Feb 26th, 2016 at 1:04am:
The kobold speed boost is supposed to also work in the cannith challenges.  The loot from those has some gems.  Personally I can't see the speed difference.  I often forget to grab the damn hat when CC opens for 2 days or whatever.  If I bother at all, and there are still a few items from there that I wouldn't mind having.

Dell and 'upgradable' can be two separate things entirely.  Dell likes to use proprietary connectors to force people to buy their spares, especially with power supplies.  If you can find out how many memory slots the mobo has, and how large a memory stick each one can hold, more power to you.  They don't usually publish that information and you might find that you can't even add more memory.

It did, which was why I crafted a BtA one for soloing Cove/Cannith on my Bard and Wizard, before duping was possible.

Those items were among the most versatile in the game.

Far easier to aquire than Greensteel.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #30 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Feb 26th, 2016 at 1:04am:

The reason I'm looking at Latitudes is because they have a better warranty, they are designed to be more durable and longer lasting than Inspirons and are supposedly easier to work on (although I don't think the fan is accessible through removable panels). I know the ones with optical drives can be used to slot an SSD and most come with at least 4Gb of RAM (which I'm pretty sure is upgradable to double).

I'm trying to curb my decades old gaming addiction by settling for integrated graphics.  Wink

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #31 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Laptop is the one item its worth buying an extended warranty on. I bought one through best buy and had easily double the machine's value in repairs done on it over the lifetime.

That said, though, used equipment is still used equipment. You'd be deliberately buying something outdated, and while certain aspects of it may be "repairable", whether or not you can get to the fan doesn't matter much when the motherboard fails and a new one costs twice what you paid for the machine.

Buy new, and remember: whether its a dell, an HP, or a Mac, you're still buying a Quanta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanta_Computer

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #32 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Show me a hat that has Archmagi and Concentration +15 on it for a level 15.  Crystal Cove has one.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 4:27pm:
Show me a hat that has Archmagi and Concentration +15 on it for a level 15.  Crystal Cove has one.

This is a valid point, though by 15 you can have a greensteel conc SP item. Sadly I don't think Wizardry VI stacks with Archmagi.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 5:51pm:
though by 15 you can have a greensteel conc SP item.

isn't it 13 for items?

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #35 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 8:12pm:
isn't it 13 for items?

No.

11 for accessories, 12 for weapons.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #36 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:49am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 4:27pm:

Show me someone that waits around till level 15 for archmagi and thinks concentration is worth a fuck and I will show you a "cover."

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint