Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Crystal Cove Hats (Read 13345 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Crystal Cove Hats
Feb 24th, 2016 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I've never quite been able to figure out the hats, but since the cove will be here a few days I want to grab one for TR. How exactly do the upgrades work? Is it just 1 enhancement and 1 skill? (like say Seeker +6 and Open Lock +15) or can you put more on there? What about MLs?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Crystal Cove Hats
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
You can only put one of each on there. Be aware that any bonuses to stats would be over-written by enhancements. You start by putting the lowest value of whatever you want on the hat, then upgrade to the next one and so on. So, if you want +6 Dexterity on your hat, you'll need to put +1 on, then upgrade to +2, +3, +4, +5, and finally +6.

As for MLs, if I recall correctly, a hat with one max'd skill and one max'd enhancement is ML 12. I think it used to be higher, but it was reduced a while ago as I recall. The "quality" of hat (bandana vs. dread admiral's tricorne) doesn't affect the ML.

Also, you can put one buff for kobolds on the hat and I don't think this affects the ML either.

Here's the write-up on the wiki from the first time the event was live: http://ddowiki.com/page/Treasure_of_Crystal_Cove

And here's the write-up about the hats: http://ddowiki.com/page/Treasure_of_Crystal_Cove_loot#Hats
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2016 at 1:37pm by nowAvaultie »  

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
It used to be that if one purchased a hat from the DDO store, one could share it across one's account. I remember choosing one with 'Kobold Haste' as the inherent quality, as that was most useful for running challenges. It's been a few years since I've played, so this information may not be accurate.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Just one maxed stat and 1 maxed skill? That's not particularly useful. I mean, sure, a Canith Crafted item with the same would be ML20, but it pales next to green steel.

That is an absurd amount of grinding for what you get.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:34pm:
Just one maxed stat and 1 maxed skill? That's not particularly useful. I mean, sure, a Canith Crafted item with the same would be ML20, but it pales next to green steel.

That is an absurd amount of grinding for what you get.

Plus the base effect.

At the time, I only crafted one to optimise the gearset I was solo'ing the various challenges with.

It was worth it for gathering materials legitimately.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Heh I was too bored so had another round of "which crap I can toss" on my characters.
Those hats were among the items that I made in first Cove then they never left bank or tr cache.
Only item I sometimes use is level 20 Cavalry plate.

Oh the days of 27 instances of Crystal Cove. Who gives a shit about it now.

IP Logged

Doggydaddy
Titan Demolisher

Pull my Finger......

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
The daggers are good caster in hand items.. trinkets are good for pretty much anybody, and the various armors depending on your class. Most of the named grind fodder is really useful.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Store hats are still BTA as of last cove. Can get +40 hp at ML9 if you pick  low secondary skill at +10. I never bother with stats. Made a +200 sp and a few hp ones.hp with Haggle (generic), perform (warlock), heal, Bluff/sneak attack etc. Just buy the skull cap for 200 tp's if you are making a bunch and want to save a few TP's instead of buying tricornes at 400 TP a pop.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:29pm by Darth Anonymous »  

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 9:09pm:
The daggers are good caster in hand items.. trinkets are good for pretty much anybody, and the various armors depending on your class. Most of the named grind fodder is really useful.

armor update a while back made mithril not so good. Daggers are not competitive w/ new random loot for casters in most cases. Trinkets are okay but secret door dc changes a while back also nerfed them badly.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:32pm:
armor update a while back made mithril not so good. Daggers are not competitive w/ new random loot for casters in most cases. Trinkets are okay but secret door dc changes a while back also nerfed them badly.

Nothin like fuckin over previous stuff without fixing it.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Also recommend cheap BtA hats from Store.
I have the ML9 Superior False Life and ML15 Archmagi of Performing/Concentration

IP Logged

danzig138
Korthos Resident

Meh

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 2:39am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 1:17am:
Also recommend cheap BtA hats from Store.
I have the ML9 Superior False Life and ML15 Archmagi of Performing/Concentration

Indeed. BtA ML 9 Superior False Life is pretty useful.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I only use the hats for my casters. 

Get the Corsairs hat(better looking), not the Tricone Admirals.  Who cares about getting more pirate coins, it is not like the gold doubloons have any value whatsoever.

A caster hat with Wizardry +200 spell points and Concentration +15 for a level 15.  Is there something better than that out there?

I only put Kobold Haste II on it.  Why waste green stones on making the kobolds faster when you probably wont be running the event for very long.  Unless you are a line protector.

I have always been the torch runner.

IMHO, Trinkets are good.  Spyglass is good.  Buccaneer's ring is good.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:48am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:33am:
better looking

I like Corsair's Skullcap.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:49am by crunch »  

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
A caster hat with Wizardry +200 spell points and Concentration +15 for a level 15.  Is there something better than that out there?

Superior false life at lv 12, and i would probably go with Spot.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:50am by �ed »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Actually, thinking over the heroic life I am currently on, I think Superior False Life at lvl 9 might be worth dusting off the old cove mats. Any higher and its not worth it(got a Mineral II helmet waiting for me). But at level 9 its easy enough to slot an item that only does one thing, but does it pretty damn well.

IP Logged

�ed
Dragon Raider

WTB Souls, PST

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
MinII and SFL work together.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
shit is all garbage. the loot from new madness/amrath/gambit/new meridia beats the piss out of all that.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I haven't owned a computer capable of running DDO since shortly after I last played in 2012-2013. Is there any way of checking when I last logged onto a DDO server without actually logging on?

Incidentally, I am probably going to buy a refurbished Dell Latitude on a $500-$600 budget pretty soon; if I can run DDO on that I might be able to check myself.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Astraghal, I'm not sure where you're coming from, but you can buy a brand new laptop capable of running DDO for ~$400 USD. You could also build a desktop capable of playing at max settings $500-$600. Hell, a buddy of mine did that from a small central american country.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
The last loot pass made half of the Cove garbage. This loot pass finished off the rest. Honestly, not updating named loot? Even Feather knew better than that. Very few items in the game were left unFeathered.

Who is the asshat behind this one, again? Loot jumped from (rare) ~ 15+ to stats to (common) ~ 24+ at cap, and even very low ml gear can have a +1 insight stat, not to mention spell power. Insight is the new ghostbane.

It wasn't even power creep; it was Talons, from The Deck of Many Things.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #21 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 4:40pm:
Astraghal, I'm not sure where you're coming from, but you can buy a brand new laptop capable of running DDO for ~$400 USD. You could also build a desktop capable of playing at max settings $500-$600. Hell, a buddy of mine did that from a small central american country.

I'm going to buy a portable computer soon and refurbished laptops seem to be the best value for money.

I have been monitoring this website for the past few weeks; it is updated approximately once a week.

http://www.dell.com/learn/au/en/audhs1/campaigns/dell-outlet-au

Considering the Dell range of refurbished machines, the Latitude seems to be the most durable, upgradable, repairable unit.

They also often come with an SSD, but no optical drive.

These are pretty much within my price range.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:24pm:
I'm going to buy a portable computer soon and refurbished laptops seem to be the best value for money.

I have been monitoring this website for the past few weeks; it is updated approximately once a week.

Considering the Dell range of refurbished machines, the Latitude seems to be the most durable, upgradable, repairable unit.

I did the ship to store on a ibuypower computer from Walmart.com over a year ago. I spent a little over $500 for a 1TB drive and it runs DDO on the highest settings just fine. It's got 5 fans and a annoying blue light so aside from the loud fan noise and douchebag glow it's a decent system. If I was not so lazy I'd figure out how to unplug the lights inside the case.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:24pm:

Ok, so you're over in Australia. I'm not actually sure what $600 AU dollars translates to in American currency Tongue But here's the thing:

You can get a brand new laptop http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-11-3162-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family starting at about $300. You can get a brand new, really good laptop for $550. That means the hardware is modern(vs hardware from a few years ago, you'd be amazed how much can change in just a few years) and a brand new unit is always going to have a better operational lifespan than a refurbished unit.

Think of it this way: the machine id designed with an operational lifespan of about 5 years. Even refurbished, the hardware litterally decays. So if you buy a 2-3 year old refurbished machine, you've only got so much time left on it. It doesn't matter how repairable it is, replacement parts will cost more than you spent on it.

Obviously I'm not telling you how to live your life, but I've bought a loooooot of computers in my life. A lot of new, a lot of used, a lot of refurbs. For the money, new is always better. This is double true for laptops.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:16pm:
new is always better. This is double true for laptops.

also true for hookers

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint