Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Port forwarding advice from turbine (Read 5404 times)
SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Port forwarding advice from turbine
Mar 8th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
There's a strange and detailed tech advice on the motherboards.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/472998-Port-Forwarding-update-and-chan...

Quote:
If you previously setup port forwarding (or port triggering) on your router and/or modem for ports 9000-9010 UDP, updating the range of ports to 9000-9058 is now recommended.

If you have not previously done this and are experiencing disconnecting issues on transitioning areas in game or in general gameplay then you might need forwarding enabled.

Damned, sounds like the whole fucking lag when changing areas could be solved since years with some fucking infos from fucking turbine?  Angry

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Re: Port forwarding advice from turbine
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:01am
Print Post  
lmao they only ever told you this if you put in an out of game ticket and got someone good.

IP Logged

fork
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Does this relate to the bug that causes crashing on entering the sands explorer zone?

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
fork wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:16pm:
Does this relate to the bug that causes crashing on entering the sands explorer zone?

yes, and necro 4

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
nothing new, this has been known for ages.

http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24047/Article/4092/DDO-Firewall-Hel...

http://ddowiki.com/page/Firewall_setup

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/465398-Routing?p=5689751&viewfull=1#po...

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/333320-About-internet-protocol-setting

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Just more ports to open in the over 9000 range...

Edit :
and crashes in Necro and Sand ( and a few other places ) is caused by the inability of your graphic card to handle all the stuff the CPU tells it to handle or by the inability for the PCI-E bus to handle the quantity of said stuff.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:01pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
SweetKitten wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 10:56am:
There's a strange and detailed tech advice on the motherboards.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/472998-Port-Forwarding-update-and-chan...

Damned, sounds like the whole fucking lag when changing areas could be solved since years with some fucking infos from fucking turbine?  Angry

the port thing is quite long at the tech sup page. that's where I found about it. I never had problems with entering sands and orchard (thus I cant say if its related) tho from time to time I suffered from frequent connection timeouts when I was entering any quest when in party with someone.
manually setting ports sorted this for me.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Yeah unlock your door so Turbine can enter easily.

Thugs and pedophiles too.

"Mom?! How do I get people to DoS my computer?!"
"Just setup port forwarding my son, they'll be able to send packets directly to your computer. How cool is that?!"

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:57pm:
crashes in Necro and Sand ( and a few other places ) is caused by the inability of your graphic card to handle all the stuff the CPU tells it to handle

True.

Lowering Object Draw Distance (or upgrading the graphics card) alleviates zone-in DC for most people experiencing this problem.

Flav wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:57pm:
inability for the PCI-E bus to handle the quantity of said stuff

False.

PCIe bus saturation is not an issue.  PCIe 2.0 8x is enough bandwidth for all but the most bleeding edge video cards in SLI/Crossfire configurations.  Most SLI/Crossfire rigs are PCIe 2.0 x8+x8 and are not throttled by the PCIe bus.

A GTX980Ti is theoretically over the saturation point of x8 bandwidth, but DDO isn't running the GPU full throttle at all times to simulate protein folding or calculate mortgage derivatives.  It's demands are much lower than theoretical maximum.

TRACERT confirms this.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Fingers crossed.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:29pm:
False.

PCIe bus saturation is not an issue.  PCIe 2.0 8x is enough bandwidth for all but the most bleeding edge video cards in SLI/Crossfire configurations.  Most SLI/Crossfire rigs are PCIe 2.0 x8+x8 and are not throttled by the PCIe bus.

A GTX980Ti is theoretically over the saturation point of x8 bandwidth, but DDO isn't running the GPU full throttle at all times to simulate protein folding or calculate mortgage derivatives.  It's demands are much lower than theoretical maximum.

TRACERT confirms this.

And what about PCI-E 1.x ?

Trust me, I did endure bus saturation on my old computer... Now consider that lots of people ( though not the majority ) uses laptop to play...
You get the picture ? ( between the castrated CPU/GPU and the low spec PCI-E interface it's enough to crash at desert, king forest and necro... at least )

Or said another way when my old rig crashed beyond repair, I changed it, but kept the graphic card ( that was relativley new ).
Same graphic card, going from Pentium D930 to I5-4660, so from PCI-E1 1.1 to PCI-E 3.0 crashes went away.
The issue was the PCI-E Bus.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2016 at 2:47pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 2:44pm:
And what about PCI-E 1.x ?

PCIe 1.x x16 slots are the same bandwidth as PCIe 2x x8 slots.

They provide more than enough bandwidth for contemporary video cards up to about GTX970.

Trust me, I did endure bus saturation on my old computer...

I understand that you think you did.  I looked into the hardware you posted as your old build and think you are misreading your experience.

Now consider that lots of people ( though not the majority ) uses laptop to play...
You get the picture ? ( between the castrated CPU/GPU and the low spec PCI-E interface it's enough to crash at desert, king forest and necro... at least )

This has fuck all to do with PCIe bus saturation.

Lousy video cards do not saturate the PCIe bus.  That's not how PCIe bus saturation works.

Or said another way when my old rig crashed beyond repair, I changed it, but kept the graphic card ( that was relativley new ).
Same graphic card, going from Pentium D930 to I5-4660, so from PCI-E1 1.1 to PCI-E 3.0 crashes went away.
The issue was the PCI-E Bus.

I'm sure you also did a bare metal install of Windows to the new hardware and made other environmental changes beyond swapping old motherboard/processor/RAM.

The picture I get is that you misunderstand your experience.

I'm not saying that the upgrade didn't sort out your problem. 

I'm saying that your problem wasn't "PCIe bus saturation", because when that happens the result isn't application crashes and your video card doesn't move enough data over the bus to cause it.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Dispel
Waterworks Kobold

What is dead may never
die!

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 6:49am
Print Post  
So Turbine tells us to open our ports up wide.
Isn't that what they do on the mobo all the time anyway?

Best Troll eva' Niggas!

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Illiterate wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:23pm:
Yeah unlock your door so Turbine can enter easily.

Thugs and pedophiles too.

"Mom?! How do I get people to DoS my computer?!"
"Just setup port forwarding my son, they'll be able to send packets directly to your computer. How cool is that?!"

Security is all about your threat model. I've seen nothing doing in the 10 years I've played the game, those ports have been open since I first learned of the info and not one problem. Secure PC*, still despite the port forwarding for this and many other apps. Most hacking is achieved through manipulating incredulity and greed, not by port-scanning for 10 year old D&D license games, then working out how to crash them to burn your escalation privilege. There are thousands of easier ways to take over someone's PC.

Shit like this just worries non-geek folk unnecessarily.

* Well, unless Equation have got me but then what could I do about that anyway? Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:47am by kum-gulp »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:46am:
Shit like this just worries non-geek folk unnecessarily.

I agree, also most Antivirus softwares are just a way to swindle money from the gullible.

If you have a clue about what you're doing and if you have access to every setting in your home router ( here in Froggy Land it's not always the case, some triple-play boxes have lots of stuff locked out by the operator ), you have something quite safe.

Now I will always give the advice to use an antivirus/firewall software to all the people that have no clue, because if they don't have a clue, they will do one of the common mistake ( click on an attachment they shouldn't click on, write down the password on a piece of paper where it reads :YouTube password : TheYouTubePassword [ trust me this one is true and it was TV 5 Monde YouTube Account, it went on TV  : http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/tv5monde-hack-staf... )

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2016 at 12:53pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint