Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is there any way to determine # of lives, besides (Read 5324 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Is there any way to determine # of lives, besides
Mar 21st, 2016 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
...looking at the number of Past Life Feats. This being the obvious.

I ask because my memory is a bit fuzzy and I feel like I may have done 4 artificer past lives.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Re: Is there any way to determine # of lives, besides
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I put them in my bio to make sure peeping toms know i'm awesome while we pike together. This takes a little foresight though.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
There was a rumor years ago that paid customer support could look it up for you.  Other that than you would have to count stacking free past live feats by the effect they provide.  This will only work up to 3 though. Cry

The grass is always greener on the other side of the razor wire fence.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Did you try my.ddo.com? That site was supposed to have all sorts of useful information about your character.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 9:01pm:
Did you try my.ddo.com? That site was supposed to have all sorts of useful information about your character.

It's a beta, I'm pretty sure if you try to look it up, you will lose past lives.

IP Logged

Erofen
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 9:01pm:

That was shut down a while ago.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Erofen wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:19pm:
That was shut down a while ago.

Hi Welcome

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Damn you all for getting my hopes up of myddo coming back. I miss that shit.  Undecided

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:07am
Print Post  
myddo used to show you all your past lives.  In the order you took them.  Now, the feats are the only way.  And if you did more than 3 of a specific life, then that doesn't show.  Only the lives that actually matter are shown.  Just curious, what does it matter if you did 3 or 4 arti lives?  The 4th arti life has no impact on your character.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
Damn you all for getting my hopes up of myddo coming back. I miss that shit.  Undecided

Bring back gear shaming!  Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:07am:
.  Just curious, what does it matter if you did 3 or 4 arti lives?  The 4th arti life has no impact on your character.

Its kind of a sanity-check. I vividly recall doing 2 bladeforged juggernaut lives after doing 2 regular full 20 artificer lives. But I can't tell for sure and it has me concerned.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 8:05pm:
I put them in my bio to make sure peeping toms know i'm awesome while we pike together. This takes a little foresight though.

:toppie:

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  

I only just recently accrued enough past lives to be considered awesome, and even then only by people very low standards.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I made a spreadsheet a while ago because I realized I was starting to forget my earlier lives. Some details from those lives are missing because I no longer remembered them, but I've found this to be a decent enough way to keep track of them.

Please don't make fun of my nonexistent excel skills.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Its a great way to keep track of lives, to be sure. Not that useful if you've already forgotten and didn't write them down Tongue

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:43pm:

Since you asked nicely. I'll make fun of your 5 cleric lives instead.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:29am:
Since you asked nicely. I'll make fun of your 5 cleric lives instead.

Hey, cleric/fvs light/evo build was decent at one point and I needed divine + sun elf past lives.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:43pm:
I made a spreadsheet a while ago because I realized I was starting to forget my earlier lives. Some details from those lives are missing because I no longer remembered them, but I've found this to be a decent enough way to keep track of them.

http://s21.postimg.org/ocha8bnjb/lives1.png

To me your count of 116 PL's is inaccurate. 

If you are tracking the class/race/destiny PL's then anything beyond the 42 Heroic PL, the 15 Iconic PL and the 36 Epic PL's doesn't count because it doesn't actually improve the character or increment any counter.  So in that regard, the maximum PL's you can have is 93 PL's.

If you are tracking actual times you have TR'd your character and started a new life with the character creation screen, then you would need to remove duplicates.  Because an I-TR gets you a class PL and a race PL from 1 trip from character creation to llevel cap. (even if you kinda skipped 1-14).  A single "life" if you will.  A single level 1-cap run can also yield a class PL and an Epic destiny PL, but it is still really only one "life". 

To combine them and count the PL's (in which one life can count as 2) and mix that with TR's that didn't yield PL's is an odd mix, imo. 

But to each his own. 

I find it interesting that the minimum lives you could run right now now to get all PL's would be 42.  You could do it with 15 Iconic lives and 27 regular lives.  You would need to do an Epic reincarnation and re-level to cap again 9 times and the other 18 times do a heroic reincarnation after the epic.  It would take 51 lives if you didn't want to ever do two Epic PL's during one heroic/iconic life. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #18 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:17pm:
Hey, cleric/fvs light/evo build was decent at one point and I needed divine + sun elf past lives.

Assuming you got your FvS and Cleric PL's done before Sun Elf came out, this would be the likely result.

That's the problem with having started PL's when TRing first came out.  I've got a lot of caster characters that already have all the divine and arcane PL's they need but I want 3 Deep Gnome lives.  You can either run something that doesn't get a class PL or run something that is not really a good fit for the Iconic.  Not much else you can do. 

P.S.  Evo divines are still decent and fun, imo.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:34pm:
To me your count of 116 PL's is inaccurate. 

If you are tracking the class/race/destiny PL's then anything beyond the 42 Heroic PL, the 15 Iconic PL and the 36 Epic PL's doesn't count because it doesn't actually improve the character or increment any counter.  So in that regard, the maximum PL's you can have is 93 PL's.

If you are tracking actual times you have TR'd your character and started a new life with the character creation screen, then you would need to remove duplicates.  Because an I-TR gets you a class PL and a race PL from 1 trip from character creation to llevel cap. (even if you kinda skipped 1-14).  A single "life" if you will.  A single level 1-cap run can also yield a class PL and an Epic destiny PL, but it is still really only one "life". 

To combine them and count the PL's (in which one life can count as 2) and mix that with TR's that didn't yield PL's is an odd mix, imo. 

But to each his own. 

I agree with you 100%, but this seems to be the way all the idiots who brag about their past lives count them.

It's a hybrid system that they seem to favor because it results in them being able to claim a lot more past lives than they would if they stuck to either only counting past lives that got them benefits or only counting actual reincarnations.

I have 93 actual past lives for which I've been given feats and 23 past lives that didn't get me anything, but I've always thought that when reincarnating an iconic character you should have to choose between getting the iconic PL and the class PL and reincarnating in a sphere should remove experience from a destiny in the sphere.

The nonsensical ways people count past lives is surpassed only by the lack of logic turbine used when implementing them.

Asheras wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:37pm:
Assuming you got your FvS and Cleric PL's done before Sun Elf came out, this would be the likely result.

P.S.  Evo divines are still decent and fun, imo.

That's more or less what happened.

Light/evo divines are far from the worst thing you could do but just like any somewhat traditional caster (easiest example being PM) they're going to fall far behind any class that has an almost 100% sustainable damage output.

The people who make DDO decided when they were releasing Shadowfell that more mobs = more difficulty, and it's a formula that they've stuck with ever since. Even if it were possible to have a 100% success rate on every single spell that you cast, PM would be bad. Why? Because you're going to regularly encounter packs of mobs far larger than you're able to kill without waiting for stuff to come off cooldowns. You walk in a room, kill a maximum of 10 mobs with your aoe instakills, and you've still got 10 mobs left in the pack.

It's easy to pick them off with single target spells, kite, or do whatever the hell you want to do but at the end of the day even if you duped an infinite number of sp pots it isn't going to be a particularly efficient playstyle if you plan on soloing newer content.

A light/evo build suffers from a similar problem, which is why I would still do it if I wanted the past lives on an alt but I wouldn't play it for fun anymore.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:11pm by Pseudonym »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:04pm:
Light/evo divines are far from the worst thing you could do but just like any somewhat traditional caster (easiest example being PM) they're going to fall far behind any class that has an almost 100% sustainable damage output.

The people who make DDO decided when they were releasing Shadowfell that more mobs = more difficulty, and it's a formula that they've stuck with ever since. Even if it were possible to have a 100% success rate on every single spell that you cast, PM would be bad. Why? Because you're going to regularly encounter packs of mobs far larger than you're able to kill without waiting for stuff to come off cooldowns. You walk in a room, kill a maximum of 10 mobs with your aoe instakills, and you've still got 10 mobs left in the pack.

It's easy to pick them off with single target spells, kite, or do whatever the hell you want to do but at the end of the day even if you duped an infinite number of sp pots it isn't going to be a particularly efficient playstyle if you plan on soloing newer content.

A light/evo build suffers from a similar problem, which is why I would still do it if I wanted the past lives on an alt but I wouldn't play it for fun anymore.

I agree.  Light/Evo divines are not a solo build that I enjoy.  I play mine in groups.  Which is fun.  I skim 5 mobs off the top of every group with implosion and the rest of the group finishes off the rest while I'm on timer.  If I'm feeling nice I might Greater Command them to make it easier. 

Makes for very efficient trash clearing in a group.  I tend to play in groups of 2-4 most of the time, so it is a really fun build.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:17pm:

Yes. Are you not happy I picked a more defensible thing to make fun of?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Soggy Biscuit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:29pm:
more defensible thing to make fun of

Like biscuits?

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:29pm:
Yes. Are you not happy I picked a more defensible thing to make fun of?

Yes, thank you.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  

I was doing that, but then I found out there's a limit to the size of your bio.  Around 55 lives your going to have to start condensing the text down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint