Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Can it get any worse? FUCK YES! Place your bets! (Read 13798 times)
Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: Can it get any worse? FUCK YES! Place your bets!
Reply #25 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 1:24pm:
If I made or allowed someone else to make an infrastructure change that rendered our core business application unusable for a significant portion of our end users and/or customers for multiple weeks, I would justifiably be fired for incompetence.  It makes me cringe to even think about the impact doing something like this would have on my company's finances and customer retention.

You describe a failure in configuration management.  Your job might be at risk, but even more so should be the person who allowed you to make that change without proper supervision.

I've been cursed at many times by techs who refused to accept my mandate that they document the changes they were going to make.  In most cases they were the ones who left the organization, and I continued to improve it.  The cases where I was the one who was forced out are a constant source of humor at cocktail parties.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #26 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I don't understand. do you not conduct a 4-6 year degree in IT? (Information Technology) to be a computer technician????
and this degree you learn how to set up servers, exchange ect ect? are these guys not qualified guys/gals??
surely its not that hard to identify the issue and then solve it.
I have guys here at my work where we are national and international. you tell the IT guys there is an issue or its slow and bang its fixed.....
old code ne code I think is irrelevant. its the information not traveling fast enough. cant the fix this???
unless im missing something here.... DDO is the only game that can literally freeze my whole pc.
the lag has booted me from Skype, stopped my youtube and dc'd me from the server. its awesome....
I think the other factor here is Warner Brothers...

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
wogoflove wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 4:20pm:
I don't understand. do you not conduct a 4-6 year degree in IT? (Information Technology) to be a computer technician????
and this degree you learn how to set up servers, exchange ect ect? are these guys not qualified guys/gals??
surely its not that hard to identify the issue and then solve it.
I have guys here at my work where we are national and international. you tell the IT guys there is an issue or its slow and bang its fixed.....
old code ne code I think is irrelevant. its the information not traveling fast enough. cant the fix this???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Not to be a turbine apologist, but it's clearly not a simple fix.  I'm guessing the devs are playing a game of CYOA and not admitting they don't have a handle of the situation, but suggesting that a fresh grad with an IT degree could just come in and fix it in like a day, is really naive. 

Quote:
unless im missing something here.... DDO is the only game that can literally freeze my whole pc.
the lag has booted me from Skype, stopped my youtube and dc'd me from the server. its awesome....
I think the other factor here is Warner Brothers...

Now that's definitely on your end.  DDO or LOTRO has never done anything remotely like that on any of the 5+ computers I've run. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
wogoflove wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 4:20pm:
I don't understand. do you not conduct a 4-6 year degree in IT?

You can do a 6-month correspondence course. That's probably the case with whoever operates turbine's data center. They laid off the guy with a degree and hired some 19 year old with an AA certification because they could pay him nine bucks an hour.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #29 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I would agree that virtualized environments are not evil and can run pretty much anything these days.  If they can't, someone neglected to give Amazon, Google, Microsoft and many other multi-million dollar companies who run on largely virtualized environments that particular memo.

On dedicated hardware optimized for VMs, with people that have more than a clue. One Word : Turbine.

the catch is, just like any other tech, P2V (physical to virtual) migrations have to be planned for, tested, and done correctly.

At a guess, the beancounters or the manglers lookad at the specs of the old swervers in the datacenter, looked at the specs of the new server and just made some Shade Maths so that several old servers could be put on a single one in a virtualized environment. ( because it's the hype of the moment )
Nobody asked the people that know better, what to do, how to do it, and how to plan the hardware to get it right.

Frank wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:31pm:
I stand by my position that VMs are not evil and can't be given the blame for the current lag fest.

Oh, they are not an all encompassing evil... They have their use in deeply redundant clusters of webservers or in distributed datacenter ( read : cloud ), and a few more applications... But in real time ( or at least in plesiochronous ) application with a non negligible ammount of data exchanged between a single server and a large amount of clients, it's not the best choice... unless you have one of the best VM expert team at hand.

All in all that VM thing boils down to : ( or TL;)DR )
- VMs are not always a bad thing but are mostly inadequate for the specific MMO use called DDO.
- Turbine... If we can Fail at it we will make sure we do.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #30 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:26pm:
You can do a 6-month correspondence course. That's probably the case with whoever operates turbine's data center. They laid off the guy with a degree and hired some 19 year old with an AA certification because they could pay him nine bucks an hour.

Turbines data center is a 3rd party operation.  Any for profit datacenter like Level 3, Azure, Hostway, Immedion, or Cyrus One (to name a few virtual and rack space data centers in my area) will have CCIE's on staff for routing management and have IT degrees and vendor certifications and years of experience at the architect, team lead, and tier 3 support levels.  Your tier 1 support and monitoring staff might be entry level.  But a problem report will have reached qualified personnel by the end of the first 24 hours. 

Not apologizing for Turbine.  It is inexcusable that the problem is still outstanding.  But even extremely well educated and experienced engineers see things that require effort to resolve at times.  Especially when dealing with technology that crosses generations.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #31 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
P.S.  poorly done VM environments suck balls.  Well done VM environments can give amazing performance.  The same is true of hardware environments.  Do them poorly and they suck ass.  The only difference is that more people have experience with hardware solutions than proper VM designs, so the probability of a mis-configuration is higher.  But, the plus of the virtual environment is that reconfiguration is usually easier than with hardware solutions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #32 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:41pm:
Turbines data center is a 3rd party operation.  Any for profit datacenter like Level 3, Azure, Hostway, Immedion, or Cyrus One (to name a few virtual and rack space data centers in my area) will have CCIE's on staff for routing management and have IT degrees and vendor certifications and years of experience at the architect, team lead, and tier 3 support levels.  Your tier 1 support and monitoring staff might be entry level.  But a problem report will have reached qualified personnel by the end of the first 24 hours. 

You know I was making a joke, right?

I think you nat-1'd the sarcasm check, there Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #33 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:52pm:
You know I was making a joke, right?

I think you nat-1'd the sarcasm check, there Tongue

You never know.  Morons here and on the MoBo constantly claim that people at Turbine must be uneducated and unskilled.  While I'm not a fan of their work at times, the few resumes I've ever seen linked all had respectable backgrounds and work experience.  None of them screamed "total hack". 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:58pm:
You never know.  Morons here and on the MoBo constantly claim that people at Turbine must be uneducated and unskilled.  While I'm not a fan of their work at times, the few resumes I've ever seen linked all had respectable backgrounds and work experience.  None of them screamed "total hack". 

Fair enough.

Admittedly I could have made my facetious exaggeration a little more over the top Tongue

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #35 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:36pm:
plesiochronous

Well, I, for one, learned a new word today.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:10pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #37 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:58pm:

The way they treat their customers and DDO screams "total hack".

It's too bad we can't play "DDO Developer Resume" instead.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Just ran LH shroud on Kybyer, about the same level of lag..... no difference I could see.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #39 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 7:49pm:
The way they treat their customers and DDO screams "total hack".

It's too bad we can't play "DDO Developer Resume" instead.

LMAO, awesome!
Smiley Smiley Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #40 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:39pm:
You describe a failure in configuration management.  Your job might be at risk, but even more so should be the person who allowed you to make that change without proper supervision.

You misunderstand.  I'm the person who manages, supervises, and makes the changes (unless we contract the implementation out to a vendor for certain reasons).  If said changes involve significant expenditures, I have to get approval from the VP of Finance, but that's about it.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #41 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
On dedicated hardware optimized for VMs, with people that have more than a clue. One Word : Turbine.

At a guess, the beancounters or the manglers lookad at the specs of the old swervers in the datacenter, looked at the specs of the new server and just made some Shade Maths so that several old servers could be put on a single one in a virtualized environment. ( because it's the hype of the moment )
Nobody asked the people that know better, what to do, how to do it, and how to plan the hardware to get it right.

You realize you went to the trouble of quoting me when I had already added in the same summation as you just did after quoting me, right? 

*Hint*  It's where I said:
Quote:
The blame doesn't lie with virtualization.  It lies squarely upon the managers and executives at Turbine who were responsible for implementing the datacenter move.  In the end, the buck stops at Turbine.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #42 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
It is inexcusable that the problem is still outstanding.

Given that this has been ongoing for over two weeks, you could have just stopped there and you'd be 100% correct.

But even extremely well educated and experienced engineers see things that require effort to resolve at times.  Especially when dealing with technology that crosses generations developers that have no clue how their own product worked even before moving datacenters.

FTFY

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Reply #43 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
So apparently they did different things to different servers and the reports are in, it didn't do shit. People are still lagging or even completely freezing. I wonder how would the player base feel that now they're being used like rats?
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:21pm by Novalis »  

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #44 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
My plan until this is sorted out:

https://www.humblebundle.com/sega-strategy-bundle

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:11pm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Not to be a turbine apologist, but it's clearly not a simple fix.  I

In the form of a kitten.

Not to be a Turbine apologist, but I loled.  Smiley

So much awesome there.  I've been on conference calls where a tech had to (wanted to, more likely) explain that the reason that a particular site was below the average in performance was because that was that average meant.  You could have heard a pin drop, but I was on mute because I was afraid of chuckling loudly enough for the customer to hear.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:43pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #46 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:06pm:
Well, I, for one, learned a new word today.

I wanted to show off my deep knowledge with a long word that sounded like a dinosaur Wink

It just means almost synchronous ( as in near real time ) and sounds way better  Wink

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:09am:
Now that I had time to ponder about it, it looks typical of a VM starvation... It's either one VM starving another, or they hardware assignment to the VMs badly done.
Basically, there's an event ( say a Guild Renown earned ) that needs some computation power and to use some hardware... but that computation power or that hardware is used by another VM, that can't free it until it has finished doing what it's doing... So the VM is starving for the resource, ( while we hang in midair ), and get the thing done once the resource becomes available.

I think you're right. I actually have personal experience with this as we created VM's for our business software to create a SaaS solution for our customers. Originally we paid a company for those services but we transitioned to a solution in which we owned the servers and just paid for them to be housed with a hosting company.

When we transitioned we bought a physical server to run the VM's that we thought would be plenty. It had enough VPU's to create the same number of servers we had with the original company so we figured we'd be fine. So we slowly moved one VM at a time from the original company to our own servers. As everything went better and better though we got cocky and started moving 2 or 3 VM's a night.

You can guess what happened. While there were plenty of VPU's the VM's share the CPU resources. Just because there's 8 VPU's on each server doesn't mean that all 8 can be maxed out on every single VM at the same time and not cripple the system. We solved our problem very simply - we added more physical servers and migrated some VM's to those. What had started as a plan for one physical server to serve 11 VM's morphed into 4 physical servers to serve up to 13.

Turbine could do this. Provisioning extra physical servers, upgrading CPU's, etc. are all very easy to do. You have to acknowledge the problem first though and be willing to spend money to fix it. Our company prides itself on its customer service and therefore it was a no-brainer - we spent whatever it would take and put in an infrastructure that could support our customer's needs. Not so sure I see Turbine going that route or even figuring out that's what the problem is.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 9:56am
Print Post  

Shade Maths...yup, that's what we used on our first cut at buying our own physical servers for our VM's.  Grin

Thankfully we now know better as well...at least enough to know that you can't just count the VPU's a physical server has available and assume it'll run because that's how many VPU's you had in another system. I wouldn't be surprised if Turbine went down that road.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Mar 30th, 2016 at 9:52am:
When we transitioned we bought a physical server to run the VM's that we thought would be plenty. It had enough VPU's to create the same number of servers we had with the original company so we figured we'd be fine. So we slowly moved one VM at a time from the original company to our own servers. As everything went better and better though we got cocky and started moving 2 or 3 VM's a night.

You can guess what happened. While there were plenty of VPU's the VM's share the CPU resources. Just because there's 8 VPU's on each server doesn't mean that all 8 can be maxed out on every single VM at the same time and not cripple the system. We solved our problem very simply - we added more physical servers and migrated some VM's to those. What had started as a plan for one physical server to serve 11 VM's morphed into 4 physical servers to serve up to 13.

I'll admit that I have never played with production grade full fledged VMs ( well beyond a custom tailored, heavy clusterized, telecom grade thing called TSP ...), I've installed lots of ESXI ( and the VMS that needs to be put on them, but it wasn't hard watching the script doing it ), and most of my playing around with Virtualization has been with Sun Solaris 10 Zones ( they are not realy VMs, they share the Kernel with the hosting Solaris 10  ).

But knowing how computers are made and how they work it's obvious it can happens once you add virtualization.
And it's probably one of the most common mistake people ( read beancounters ) do when they tell people to go Virtualized.
IOs ( specifically memory and disks ) have a limited bandwidth... that bandwidth is not and cannot be virtualized.

On Sparc Servers once they stopped frying processors trying to catch up with X86 frequencies ( which is pointless with a RISC system ), they went to heavy core/thread... So a single UltraSparc T1 processor carries 8 Cores each with 16 Threads... So for a Windows comparison : that's 256 Processors on one chip.
You can do a lot of things with that many processors ( especially when you have single processed, single threaded applications ), but the IO ( read : Disk and Memory ) is shared between all the (virtual) processors... and IO hasn't much evolved in throughput compared to the previous generation - in SPARC case : Ultra 320 15KRPM SCSI disks or SAS 15KRPM disks for mass storage, and DDR3 for Memory -

On our personnal computer we can have SSD drives, but most of the time they are just too expensive for server applications.
( and in most case use they are a waste of money )

Anyway, it's wine time for me ( if it wasn't obvious ) and I need to get all those free quivers done before they shutdown the anniversary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint