Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) It doesn't get any more clear than this (Read 17096 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: It doesn't get any more clear than this
Reply #25 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:30pm:
Has anyone ever played an {MMO Name] 2! that WASN'T objectively terrible?

I haven't played it, but wasn't RuneScape 2 wildly popular? As in, 10 years old and more simultaneous logins than DDO has unique players in a month?

And could DDO2 be any worse than DDO1 has gotten?

Personally, I'd love to see DDO0.5, as in leak the code for 2 years ago and get a pirate server like this
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/blizzard-shuts-down-popular-fan-run-pirate...

And I don't even mean the 150k active users, though that would be nice, just having a server free from the tinkering of these bumbling dickwads would be awesome.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 1:15pm:
Yeah, this. These people aren't devs because they love D&D, they can barely even spell it.

I'm ok if their not D&D fans, because you would have a very small pool to recruit from if knowing D&D is a requirement.

But that said, ideally at least one member of the team should be familiar with different D&D versions to ensure the feel/theme/balance is given due weight.

The rest of the team should know the game mechanics, and should get up to speed quickly as part of their training/induction.  Being a generic code monkey is not enough to do these roles well. This would be easy to facilitate either serruptiously or openly via experienced players/guilds.  DDO crash course should be part of their training - or at least the relevant parts to their first DDO role.
I believe you can see this deficiency clearly in the loot design.  Nearly all loot in recent updates has been randomly thrown together shit.  Whomever is doing it doesn't understand how "powerful magical loot" is created in D&D, nor how DDO is played and what loot would be interesting without being overpowered.  Loot design is a key role in the sustainability of an MMO, but it appears to have been given to the part-time vacation student at Turbine.

I understand that the game design needs to look beyond the flavor.  D20 rules can't cope with where DDO has gone, and so game design needs to innovate.
But Sev has been accelerating the move DDO away from D&D's core, which is a risk to their existing long term player-base.  D&D Classes used to have roles, strengths and weaknesses.  Multi-classing used to have trade offs.  Some classes were difficult and rare.   And this was a core premise in the D&D game.
In DDO, Classes have lost their roles completely in an effort to make an MMO solo friendly, which is ironic.
We don't need another WoW or NWN clone.  DDO needs to stay in its niche.

Mr Meursault, I agree that if someone in the team had some love for the D&D game, that the mess that is Epic Destinies might not have happened and they might have stuck more to the PnP version of Epic classes.

Reading here, many believe the post lvl 20 changes have brought about the decline of DDO.  The devs have backed themselves into a corner, because by moving away from an established pathway, they lacked the foresight to understand the future implications and power creep they introduced.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:15pm by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #27 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:01pm:
just having a server free from the tinkering of these bumbling dickwads would be awesome.

Truth.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #28 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:39pm:
To everyone that cancelled their VIP in the last 3 months, congratulations. To everyone that still has months to go or bought points last month, I'd recommend calling CS to get your refund. Next month might be the end of DDO.

But but but...DDO's end has already happened. With U19. We are now playing a distopian d&d game. Where things you say are monitored, censored, limited choices are sold as great opportunities, more lag with every update, etc.  Tongue

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 6:41am
Print Post  

You want to see nerd rage?  Tell them DDO2 is a new game and they can't move their characters over.  Heh.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #30 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:12am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:11pm:
Sev has been accelerating the move DDO away from D&D's core, which is a risk to their existing long term player-base.

and
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:11pm:
The devs have backed themselves into a corner, because by moving away from an established pathway, they lacked the foresight to understand the future implications and power creep they introduced.

I think these two really get to the heart of my objection. I don't care that they departed from the D&D rules because I only want to play D&D, or out of fierce brand loyalty, I object to them departing from the rules because they had a tried and true path laid out for them, one that was working pretty well, and left it because they thought they could do better on their own. The hubris of thinking of they were better game designers than the people who made D&D led them to go from a game that was pretty good but with a few problems (let's face it, the guys who wrote D&D weren't perfect either) to a disaster.

I accept that the D&D rules can't work EXACTLY for a MMO, but these dev's aren't the innovative trailblazers they imagine themselves to be, and our game suffers for it. In fact, imagining themselves to be innovative trailblazers is the extent of their imagination. D&D wasn't great, but it had balance, and decent design, and sticking to the rules while adding more content would have been much better for the game.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 6:41am:
You want to see nerd rage?  Tell them DDO2 is a new game and they can't move their characters over.  Heh.

Nah. I'd still at least try that game out. If it didn't suck, I'd pay to play it. I think I would rather not move my DDO characters to DDO2, quite honestly.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #32 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:12am:
but it had balance

lol

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #33 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 1:40pm:
lol

Would you accept "More balance than DDO"?  Undecided

Or do you think DDO is a better ruleset than 3.5?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Personally, I'd love to see DDO0.5, as in leak the code for 2 years ago and get a pirate server like this
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/blizzard-shuts-down-popular-fan-run-pirate...

And I don't even mean the 150k active users, though that would be nice, just having a server free from the tinkering of these bumbling dickwads would be awesome.

This is actually completely feasible and potentially not even a bad project for the vault to take on(we've actually got some pretty smart people) - it also doesn't require any source code, the guys who did it with WoW sure as shit didn't have the source.

I have some experience, in my time fucking around with shit I found on shady torrent sites, I've actually set up and had running 2-3 different private WoW servers and a private Ultima Online server(You guys remember UO? The sequel was so amazingly successful that it got canceled midway through production).

Here's the basic gist of how these private servers work: most of the game-data is client-side. The server is actually not that sophisticated. It is a server emulator, and if I recall, my WoW servers were basically just a database and some weird stuff running in windows.

I haven't got the technical skills by any stretch of the imagination to WRITE one of these server emulators, but it has been done. From there, tweaking things like drop rates and XP curves wouldn't be tough. You could probably even get the DDO store to run and just let everyone have unlimited TPs. Not really sure why you'd do this, but I'm just sayin: DDO shard servers are totally doable.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  

Yes. By the lord almighty, YES. Have you seen how abysmally bad some of the "MMO 2" games have been? Ok, GW2 people agree was ok. I won't give you credit for Runescape 2 because that's a fucking browser-based game. Its impressive on it's own merits but it does not deserve to be compared to games like DDO.

I won't speculate, but look forward to it being even more of a painful cash-grab than DDO, but with less customization and more paladins. Not that the character class paladin is actually a bad thing, but when looking for ideas they will be listening to the forum paladins. It'll be a mess, is what I'm saying.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #36 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:40pm:
Here's the basic gist of how these private servers work: most of the game-data is client-side. The server is actually not that sophisticated. It is a server emulator, and if I recall, my WoW servers were basically just a database and some weird stuff running in windows.

Yeah, the code for "the weird stuff running in windows" is what you need the source code for. You can get by with a pre-compiled client, but you need code (or a compiled executable) for the server, and you need the database.

I guess somebody might be able to reverse engineer the server code, but I can't even imagine how much work that would take. It's not like you can just record the packets going in and coming out and map inputs to outputs - it's a stateful system with a huge input domain. I guess I shouldn't say it can't be done, but I'd be damn impressed if somebody managed to do it.

I'm pretty sure the WOW server code was leaked after a breach.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:40pm:
This is actually completely feasible and potentially not even a bad project for the vault to take on(we've actually got some pretty smart people) - it also doesn't require any source code, the guys who did it with WoW sure as shit didn't have the source.

I have some experience, in my time fucking around with shit I found on shady torrent sites, I've actually set up and had running 2-3 different private WoW servers and a private Ultima Online server(You guys remember UO? The sequel was so amazingly successful that it got canceled midway through production).

I haven't got the technical skills by any stretch of the imagination to WRITE one of these server emulators, but it has been done. From there, tweaking things like drop rates and XP curves wouldn't be tough. You could probably even get the DDO store to run and just let everyone have unlimited TPs. Not really sure why you'd do this, but I'm just sayin: DDO shard servers are totally doable.

Ok, I'm not a computer guy, but what exactly do you think a DDO server does?  It isn't just a router!

Trying to reverse engineer it would be harder than paying a disgruntled employee for a copy of the code.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #38 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 2:28pm:
Would you accept "More balance than DDO"? 

Not really. Wizard, Druid, and cleric and fairly balanced, the rest of the classes are pretty much inferior. There are different roles, but they are almost always better off performed by a caster. Here's a good write up of the whys if you don't believe me:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266559-Tier-System-for-Classes-(Re...)

Meursault wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 2:28pm:
Or do you think DDO is a better ruleset than 3.5?

It's kind of apple vs orange to me. I'd be more comfortable comparing 3.5 to say Final Fantasy Tactics. While the rules basis is there, being an MMO required adaptation.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #39 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Anyone interested in starting up a DDO server emulator project?

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:18pm:

I believe the reason the pirated WoW emulation was so popular was because people really enjoyed classic WoW content. There's nothing really about DDO's current state that is sustainable. People are still playing to accomplish their current goals, but without new content, an emulation would get stale real quick.

For it to work, the game would have to not only be emulated, a lot of the stupid shit Turbine has done would have to be undone, and a lot of the broken shit would need to be fixed. Not going to happen.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #41 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:18pm:

I'll happily encourage someone else to do the work  Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Knight Solaire wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:43pm:
I believe the reason the pirated WoW emulation was so popular was because people really enjoyed classic WoW content.

Not so. The reason the WoW emulation was so popular was because a lot of people wanted to be able to play WoW without paying for it.

Amongst the private servers I toured before taking up DDO, I saw multiple "instant 80" PvP servers(when the cap was still 80) and many more with increased XP/loot drop rates. All of them running content that was, at best, one or two minor patches behind the current latest and greatest.

Then of course were mod servers, which ran custom content(they'd even found ways to add their own models - keep in mind this was all being done without access to the source code) these servers were much harder to find, since any great deal of exposure would have led to shutdowns.

I remember back when I was dicking around with private WoW servers, every time a new expansion came out, the community would rush to get it on their private servers Tongue Yeah, there were plenty of "classic" servers, but they were far less common than the instant-80/near cutting edge systems.

Oh, there is also the privately-ran EverQuest server that has it's own motherfucking subscription plan.

I'm just sayin: it possible.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:05pm:
I'll happily encourage someone else to do the work  Smiley

So you calling shotgun on the Producer role?

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:09pm:
Not so. The reason the WoW emulation was so popular was because a lot of people wanted to be able to play WoW without paying for it.

Amongst the private servers I toured before taking up DDO, I saw multiple "instant 80" PvP servers(when the cap was still 80) and many more with increased XP/loot drop rates. All of them running content that was, at best, one or two minor patches behind the current latest and greatest.

Then of course were mod servers, which ran custom content(they'd even found ways to add their own models - keep in mind this was all being done without access to the source code) these servers were much harder to find, since any great deal of exposure would have led to shutdowns.

I remember back when I was dicking around with private WoW servers, every time a new expansion came out, the community would rush to get it on their private servers Tongue Yeah, there were plenty of "classic" servers, but they were far less common than the instant-80/near cutting edge systems.

Oh, there is also the privately-ran EverQuest server that has it's own motherfucking subscription plan.

I'm just sayin: it possible.

Agree, it would be possible, but it sounds like they had a good head start with the pirated code.

I also take into account the "demand" side with WoW having 12M + plays at one point and DDO having maybe 100k at its peak?
(Feel free to correct the stats if you know better - I can't be fucked Googling the stats as that isn't point).
Amongst those WoW players are obviously some pretty dedicate and passionate players who happen to have the skill sets necessary to undertake this.

We have Fran! Uurlock and that stupid Kwai chick.
Can you imagine Fran! being in charge of the alternate DDO?

I'm sure there are some capable and enthusiastic DDO players (look at the various fan sites and tools) - but I doubt any of them would be involved in a pirate project. 

No we'd have to rely on the Vault which would likely mean:
1. Every other NPC would yell "Nigga" or "Faggot" as you run past.
2. The rest of the NPC's would likely just yell "Gay & Retarded"
3. You would go to loot chests or sell loot and while you think you were getting richer, but instead of getting money, you'd be secretly getting siphoned and put into Eberron offshore account for Epoch.

What chacacteristics do you think a DDO Vault based pirate version of DDO would have?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:52pm:
but it sounds like they had a good head start with the pirated code.

Yes. But we have something they didn't have:

https://www.trinitycore.org/

...We have their source code to copy from  Cheesy

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #46 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
What chacacteristics do you think a DDO Vault based pirate version of DDO would have?

A welcome box with one of each ingredient, large bags, and step by step instructions on duping Cheesy

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #47 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:38pm:
So you calling shotgun on the Producer role?

Producers get asked for money. Sounds awful.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 1:57am
Print Post  
We have Fran! Uurlock and that stupid Kwai chick.
Can you imagine Fran! being in charge of the alternate DDO?

There's worse than Fran.  That Marshalle guy who bitches all the time about past lives and calls people mini-thors.

His DDO server would have a level cap of 5 levels below his characters, just so no one could mini-thor him.  And no reincarnations of any kind allowed.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #49 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 2:52am
Print Post  
theres at least like 10 actually intelligent and talented people here. if you chose to create your own ripoff, i dont believe the bottleneck would be maturity but capability. I doubt youd be able to fill all the necessary roles. Your time would be better spent trying to acquire source. That way most resources are completed and you just need some code monkeys and combs to get to a hostable state. after that, you would need to consider the hardware required to serve whatever size player base you expect to handle.

i believe you would have an easier time trying to fill the roles of "code acquirer, coder, host" than the many diverse roles of full game development.

that aside, im regrettably sure that you will achieve nothing in the end, so this post is all hot air

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint