Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) It doesn't get any more clear than this (Read 17100 times)
Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

It doesn't get any more clear than this
Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/474342-Hope-I-am-wrong-here-but-it-wou...

Now to the problem….

http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/press-releases/2015/08/03/warner-bros-picture...

“Today’s announcement reflects the resolution of Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast LLC’s complaint against Sweetpea Entertainment, Inc. and Sweetpea BVI, Ltd. and the counterclaims filed by Sweetpea against Hasbro in May 2013 related to the Dungeons & Dragon brand. Solomon and Zeman will be attached to produce all Warner Bros.-produced Dungeons & Dragons film and television productions. All rights for future Dungeons & Dragons productions have been unified and returned to Wizards of the Coast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro.”

“All rights for future Dungeons & Dragons productions have been unified and returned to Wizards of the Coast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro.” Where does this leave Turbine and DDO when their license runs out next month....

Tell me I am wrong in this….

It explains a lot. Put the DDO servers in a deliberately constrained Virtual environment with too little resources to cut down on paying customers who rage quit and are not part of any possible class action lawsuit for recovery of last 6 months payments (which I understand to be typical when a breech of contract occurs) but I am not a lawyer so am not sure.

At any rate the future licensing of DDO is answered by this. “All rights for future Dungeons & Dragons productions have been unified and returned to Wizards of the Coast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro.”

To everyone that cancelled their VIP in the last 3 months, congratulations. To everyone that still has months to go or bought points last month, I'd recommend calling CS to get your refund. Next month might be the end of DDO.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: It doesn't get any more clear than this
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Didn't read the article but what you posted said film and television productions, nothing about games.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:41pm:
Didn't read the article but what you posted said film and television productions, nothing about games.

This, plus DDO is a past production, not a future one. It may mean Turbine can't make DDO2, but I think we all agree that we wouldn't want Turbine in charge of DDO2 anyway.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
YADA (Yet Another Dooooom Announcement)

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:41pm:

Agreed - that shit fight was over movie licensing.

And even if it were relevant, WOTC/Hasbro already are the rights holder for DDO's licence, so nothing is changed by that ruling.

And as others have pointed out, it clearly says future productions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:39pm:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/474342-Hope-I-am-wrong-here-but-it-wou...

Now to the problem….

http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/press-releases/2015/08/03/warner-bros-picture...

“Today’s announcement reflects the resolution of Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast LLC’s complaint against Sweetpea Entertainment, Inc. and Sweetpea BVI, Ltd. and the counterclaims filed by Sweetpea against Hasbro in May 2013 related to the Dungeons & Dragon brand. Solomon and Zeman will be attached to produce all Warner Bros.-produced Dungeons & Dragons film and television productions. All rights for future Dungeons & Dragons productions have been unified and returned to Wizards of the Coast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro.”

“All rights for future Dungeons & Dragons productions have been unified and returned to Wizards of the Coast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro.” Where does this leave Turbine and DDO when their license runs out next month....

Tell me I am wrong in this….

It explains a lot. Put the DDO servers in a deliberately constrained Virtual environment with too little resources to cut down on paying customers who rage quit and are not part of any possible class action lawsuit for recovery of last 6 months payments (which I understand to be typical when a breech of contract occurs) but I am not a lawyer so am not sure.

At any rate the future licensing of DDO is answered by this. “All rights for future Dungeons & Dragons productions have been unified and returned to Wizards of the Coast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro.”

To everyone that cancelled their VIP in the last 3 months, congratulations. To everyone that still has months to go or bought points last month, I'd recommend calling CS to get your refund. Next month might be the end of DDO.

Lol.  It's been about a week.  Time for your weekly Novalis jilted ex thread.  Today we have total reading comprehension fail.  Im gonna bookmark this moronic post by Novalis so that in a month I can mock him when his most recent prognostication of doom fails. 

It's going to be fun linking this every time he makes one of his asinine "the sky is falling" doom threads.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:48pm:
Lol.  It's been about a week.  Time for your weekly Novalis jilted ex thread.  Today we have total reading comprehension fail.  Im gonna bookmark this moronic post by Novalis so that in a month I can mock him when his most recent prognostication of doom fails. 

It's going to be fun linking this every time he makes one of his asinine "the sky is falling" doom threads.

Someone should make a list of all the Dooooom threads since 2009 and publish it so the wannabe-cassandras can STFU and go back to asking for new PvP content and mounts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Old news is old...

Novalis inbstead of spamming fucking doom threads you should actually check the information... There's even a thread or two about that here somewhere...
It's not a Doom thing.

That's from last summer settlement regarding the D&D branded movie rights. It was the last D&D thing that wasn't back into Hasbro/WotC hands.
It's back into Hasbro/WotC hand and they have a movie in the funnel with WB as producing company :

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/du...ds-1201555394/

http://www.slashfilm.com/warner-bros...dragons-movie/

http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

TL;DR :
Hasbro got back the last of the licences ( specificaly the movie one ) out in the wild that they didn't control, and consolidated it into a single licence that has been "sold" to Warner Bros... So WB has a single licence for everything D&D Based ( movie, computer game, ... )

The fun fact is that this settlement and the license consolidation might actually have changed the licence expiration for Turbine... to the point where May 3 2016 is not a valid date for license renewal and that the licence has already been renewed to a date long after the movie release date...
( and maybe WB has a DDO2 hidden somewhere in their gaming development plans to be released along with teh movie )

Le Sigh

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 1:34am:
( and maybe WB has a DDO2 hidden somewhere in their gaming development plans to be released along with teh movie )

That's a pipe dream if I ever heard one.

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:59am
Print Post  
and maybe WB has a DDO2 hidden somewhere in their gaming development plans to be released along with teh movie

With the mentality of modern MMO developers, a DDO2 would probably be worse than Neverwinter.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2016 at 12:14pm by Bones »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Bones wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:59am:
With the mentality of modern MMO developers, a DDO 2 would probably be worse than Neverwinter.

The current crew are "developers" in name only.  They are not capable of or interested in developing anything.  They do not create or innovate at all.

Read up on the people who created AC & DDO and sold them to Fernando and see if you can detect any of that passion in the folks who are there now.

You need not worry about DDO2 being created.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 12:11pm:
The current crew are "developers" in name only.  They are not capable of or interested in developing anything.  They do not create or innovate at all.

Read up on the people who created AC & DDO and sold them to Fernando and see if you can detect any of that passion in the folks who are there now.

Oh, I was referring to MMO developers in general, not the phonies at Turdbin. Like if some random pack of modern developers were given the job to do a DDO2.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Knight Solaire wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:50am:
That's a pipe dream if I ever heard one.

Mmmm, and not a tobacco pipe, either.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 12:11pm:

Yeah, this. These people aren't devs because they love D&D, they can barely even spell it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  

Has anyone ever played an {MMO Name] 2! that WASN'T objectively terrible?

That being said, its always easier to fix up something old than to build something new. Picture it: WB is sinking a ton of money into a new DnD movie. Movie tie-in games are all the rage, and they've had huge success with "Lord of the Rings: Pretend You're Legolas, but On the Internet!" (LOTRO for those who nat-1d the sarcasm role).

But... *record scratch* they already HAVE a working DnD game waiting in the wings! Sure, its old, its a bit scuffed up, it hasn't been well care for. But some new parts, a little polish... and the bucks just roll right in.

What I'm saying is giving DDO a much-needed overhaul would be cheaper than building a brand new DnD MMO from scratch.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:30pm:
What I'm saying is giving DDO a much-needed overhaul would be cheaper than building a brand new DnD MMO from scratch.

It would still need to be ripped from the incompetent hands of Turbine. The current development staff is not equipped for a project like that, even if they had a bigger budget.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #16 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Get a life faggots: there's a world full of money and pussy out there just waiting for you to claim it.

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #17 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 1:33pm
Print Post  

Hmmm... Final Fantasy XIV a realm reborn perhaps?  (I never played those games, just read about them).  Although DDO doesn't seem to have hit complete rockbottom... yet...  Undecided

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
archon wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 1:33pm:
Hmmm... Final Fantasy XIV a realm reborn perhaps?  (I never played those games, just read about them).  Although DDO doesn't seem to have hit complete rockbottom... yet...  Undecided

Realm Reborn wasn't so much as sequel as an "Oh god, we fucked up, could we get a do-over?" It was basically the original FFXIV rebuilt from the ground up with a better development team.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I am surprised he hasn't called you all fan boys yet for disagreeing with him.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 1:23pm:
Get a life faggots: there's a world full of money and pussy out there just waiting for you to claim it.

Working minimum wage at McDonalds in Puerto Rico and banging stray dogs in the alley out back isn't a "world full of money and pussy". 

But it might be "a third world full of money and pussy."

Between that and your vision quest against mall ninjas, you seem to have a full day.  When do you find time to post?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 4:31pm:
Working minimum wage at McDonalds in Puerto Rico and banging stray dogs in the alley out back isn't a "world full of money and pussy". 

But it might be "a third world full of money and pussy."

Between that and your vision quest against mall ninjas, you seem to have a full day.  When do you find time to post?

McPuerto is both unemployed a gay, so he gets neither money nor pussy. Stray dogs? I've been in that part of the world, they are fuckin' everywhere.

But here's what I don't get: McPuerto is a dirt-poor, chubby, gay teenager. Why is his highest aspiration in life to be an alcoholic? McPuerto, you don't need to be rich to be an alcoholic, they got Thunderbird and store-brand windex down where you are. Can't really help you with the gay thing, shockingly I think the vault would actually be pretty supportive of you if you finally came out.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  

Guild wars 2 is the 2nd most popular MMO in the U.S. behind only WoW.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:02pm:
Guild wars 2 is the 2nd most popular MMO in the U.S. behind only WoW. 

Does Guild Wars really even count as an MMO, though? Isn't it really just a PvP game with some PvE stuff thrown in for shits and giggles? My understanding(haven't played the game) was that the PvE content was basically a "play it once for the gear, then go back to PvPing" kind of thing.

But yeah if GW2 is any good that'd mark the only time in history an MMO's sequel was successful, let alone "good".

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Knight Solaire wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:44pm:
It would still need to be ripped from the incompetent hands of Turbine. The current development staff is not equipped for a project like that, even if they had a bigger budget.

Isn't that already happening? These incompetent fools are being herded into mobile phone apps. It's a simple enough feat of corporate legerdemain to bring in an entirely new team, hire them under the Turbine name, and designate the current joke squad "Turbine Mobile".

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint