Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) It doesn't get any more clear than this (Read 17090 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: It doesn't get any more clear than this
Reply #50 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Personally, I'm quite curious how it can be done without sourcecode, as much here seems to imply is possible. And by how, I mean how with detail, not like "how to play the flute: Blow in one end and move your fingers up and down the side".

With server source (and the database of assets, of course) it seems like a straight forward, if tedious, adaptation. But I can't imagine how you could get the server logic right without the code, or at least a solid spec which Turbine most certainly does not have. Even if you captured every packet for days it wouldn't convey the state that had built up, the server isn't a RESTful.

Did the WOW pirate servers start with a leak of the WOW server code? Are there any pirate MMO servers that didn't start with code? If so, how did they do it?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #51 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:59pm:
Not really. Wizard, Druid, and cleric and fairly balanced, the rest of the classes are pretty much inferior. There are different roles, but they are almost always better off performed by a caster. Here's a good write up of the whys if you don't believe me:

I disagree. For a single encounter, yes, but in a whole dungeon crawl, a party of wizards would suck, especially if they didn't know exactly what to prepare for. I've played D&D or a variant for decades, and while we've had some gimped characters and some OP characters, we've never had a case where everybody wanted to play caster and we had no rogues or fighter types.

D&D 3.5 put enough restrictions on those casters (like spells per day) that while they might be able to consistently lead the kill count, they wouldn't want to venture into a dungeon alone or in a group of similar characters.

With DDO, an "all PM Shroud" was a regular event, I remember seeing more of those in a night than I see Shrouds of any type in a week now.

I guess if you defined Balance as "would not win a PvP match much more than 50% of the time" then no, 3.5 wasn't balanced, but if you define it as "many nearly equally good paths to take" then it beat DDO hands down.

DDO has millions of builds possible, and we're stuck with just minor variations on a handful of viable ones. Yeah there had to be some changes to 3.5 to make it work as an MMO, but they made the changes and then kept running. They aren't walking in the grass on the edge of the road, they are off chasing will-o'-wisps through a giant swamp.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #52 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 3:36pm:
I disagree. For a single encounter, yes, but in a whole dungeon crawl, a party of wizards would suck, especially if they didn't know exactly what to prepare for. I've played D&D or a variant for decades, and while we've had some gimped characters and some OP characters, we've never had a case where everybody wanted to play caster and we had no rogues or fighter types.

The thing is, that the casters are just as good (if not better) at rogueing and fightering than the rogues and fighters are...and they get to be casters too.

A party of DC wizard, trapper wizard, DC druid, and melee cleric is simply superior to wizard, rogue, druid, and fighter party.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #53 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 3:16pm:
Personally, I'm quite curious how it can be done without sourcecode, as much here seems to imply is possible.

You don't need the source code... you just need to simulate the communication between the server and the client and the game mechanic server side...

The game mechanic are a known set of rules.
The communication betwen the server and the client can be sniffed

That's how some unofficial servers in the early ages of MMOs were created : people sinffed the communcations with the server, and then just developped the code to simulate them... with tucked in between the rules changed the way they wanted them to be changed compared to the original.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #54 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 3:16pm:
Personally, I'm quite curious how it can be done without sourcecode, as much here seems to imply is possible. And by how, I mean how with detail, not like "how to play the flute: Blow in one end and move your fingers up and down the side".

With server source (and the database of assets, of course) it seems like a straight forward, if tedious, adaptation. But I can't imagine how you could get the server logic right without the code, or at least a solid spec which Turbine most certainly does not have. Even if you captured every packet for days it wouldn't convey the state that had built up, the server isn't a RESTful.

Did the WOW pirate servers start with a leak of the WOW server code? Are there any pirate MMO servers that didn't start with code? If so, how did they do it?

Believe it or not, the server is actually comparatively easy(compared to the client). The server emulators were made by basically programming the server-side from scratch, based on an understanding of client-server architecture and looking at "what the game is asking for". The lions share of the work is done client-side, the server is mainly just keeping the different clients synced)

There are no art assets, the server is not sending texture packs or monster models in game-play, all of that is client-side. The server does have to have a database, but its more like what everything does, the numbers side of it(I know on my earliest WoW server I could edit weapon stats in a text document, later iterations required SQL)

A lot of stuff had to be put in by hand. My first forays into private servers left me with an empty world, items, but 0 mobs, NPCs, etc. The quests were "there" but they weren't playable, it was just the bones, so to speak. All of that stuff had to be scripted by hand.

In UO servers the community thought this was vital. Fully working servers were few and far between, the forums would berate anyone who dared ask for one. Having to script everything yourself was considered "part of the experience"

The first few wow servers I found were the same, and the development communities equally as toxic(I hang out on the Vault, and I am calling these communities toxic - that should give you some clues).

I know it was popular to tweek the games and make them less like the original, but it was usually jsut the original turned up to 11. Faster XP gains, higher levels, bigger numbers on weapons, etc. I remember back when the WoW level cap was 60 somebody made a server where the cap was lvl 255. In the UO world, some guy had made a sword that let him hit mobs that were 12 screens away.

Its all doable without source code, but much of it might be extremely tedious. These are always community projects; one guy making it by himself would go insane.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #55 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
YOU SAUID THER MAGIC WORLD. UO UO UO UOUUOUOUOUOUOUOUOUO

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Jon Van Caneghem wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:47pm:
YOU SAUID THER MAGIC WORLD. UO UO UO UOUUOUOUOUOUOUOUOUO

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #57 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 8:55pm:

Ganging someone working on his fishing skill? well played

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
That's "Ganking" to you, scrub. Ganging is what your sister likes to do with all those old men.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #59 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
So what, fuck england and and fuck those barbaric growls you call english.
fucking simplistic language everyone can speak no matter how fat or how many burgers he eats. yoyoyoyo i am an american nigger gangsta i speak england very best. ahahahaha

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #60 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
i speak england how i like too spek it and ai do nott give a dammit ahahahah stop me if you can

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #61 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Add one more to the KNN Sock list.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Reply #62 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:23pm:
Add one more to the KNN Sock list.

Nah, this particular shining example of wit and humour is older than KNN, accountwise. Equally retarded, though.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #63 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
^ Nine avatar m8. Is that your sister's hairy cunt?

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Dullknife wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:45pm:
Nah, this particular shining example of wit and humour is older than KNN, accountwise. Equally retarded, though.

Still deserves to be on the ignore list, if this is all the wit he's capable of mustering.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #65 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
relax and have a drink. i "prepared" it especially for you

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:58pm by Jon Van Caneghem »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #66 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 3:36pm:
DDO has millions of builds possible, and we're stuck with just minor variations on a handful of viable ones.

I don't get how people complain the game is too easy and then also complain that only a handful of builds are viable.  These two seem to be mutually exclusive to me.

I find the game easy.  I find that many builds are viable.  All of the following are viable:

Swash Bard
Melee DPS Pally
Ranged Pally/Rogue
Mechanic Rogue
Assassin Rogue
TWF Ranger
Bow Ranger
X-Bow Arti
Druid Wolf
Druid DC Caster
FvS DC Caster
Cleric DC Caster
Warlock Melee with aura
Warlock Blaster
DC Caster Wizard/Sorc
Shiradi Spammer Wizard/Sorc
Barb
Fighter (with new tree, especially)
Monk

That's more than a handful.  It might be every class in the game.  I didn't even name FoTM builds.  Just basic stuff.  If you think there are only a handful of viable builds, I'm honestly not sure what game you are playing. 

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #67 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:08am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 4:39pm:
A party of DC wizard, trapper wizard, DC druid, and melee cleric is simply superior to wizard, rogue, druid, and fighter party.

I don't doubt you, your build-fu has clearly been superior to mine in DDO and I thank you for your detailed advice, but in the 20 years my gaming group has played together, more than 1/2 the time in 3.5, that has never come up. We've had some hybrid characters, but they didn't dominate the party. Maybe there were a couple of OP broken builds (like when our biggest min-maxer made a factotem and the DM allowed multiple swift actions in a single round) but those were clearly broken by rules outside the core game, not an inherent imbalance in the game core. They were certainly fixed with tweaks not wholesale rewriting of the rules.

I guess I just must be lucky to have a great group that manages to compensate and make it look effortless. I know with my turns behind the screen I don't approach it with the thought that classes are imbalanced and I need to take corrective action, and even with a DM's eye I don't see the others making obvious corrective efforts along those lines.

That's just one more reason why DDO will always be just a pale reflection of a real gaming session. If my group were available for an hour on a Wed. night or Sunday morning at short notice like DDO is I'd probably never play DDO again  Undecided

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #68 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 11:02pm:
I don't get how people complain the game is too easy and then also complain that only a handful of builds are viable.  These two seem to be mutually exclusive to me.

I find the game easy.  I find that many builds are viable.

OK, maybe "viable" wasn't quite right, what I was trying to get at is a few core builds dominate with high overlap of feats and enhancements among variations on those builds. There is a large gap between the "Good" builds and the "Flavor" builds.

The game is easy enough that flavor builds are indeed viable, you can get through heroics on just about anything if you don't insist on playing elite at level. And in fact that's my preferred play style these days - I've got my repeater mechs and my tempest rangers, but enjoy my drow acrobat or my halfling artificer more.

Just to put it in perspective - a little role playing, You're running an EE raid, you're full enough to run when 2 more puggers hit your LFM. One a mech rogue, the other an artificer. Both are first lifers. When you do the mental calculus about how much they will contribute to the run compared to how much lag they will add, are you thinking of them both as viable, or are you wondering how much time the artificer will spend as a soul stone? I'm not asking if you'd take the arti, I suspect you would just to give him a chance, but would it be an act of charity or a clear advantage for your party? How do you think other raid leaders would respond in that situation, universal acceptance for the Arti?

And how do you think the Arti is likely to feel half way through the raid? Who plays a heroic fantasy game to be a charity case? Obviously he may be a fantastic player, but assuming both are "average" DDO puggers, Mech Rogue is clearly viable but is Artificer?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 11:02pm:

I find the game easy.  I find that many builds are viable.  All of the following are viable:

Frankly, almost all builds are viable.  They may be sub-optimal, they may struggle in anything above EN, but you can still play them to 30 if you enjoy self-flagellation.

Now, there is sub-optimal and then there is just stupid:
Fran Ohmsford said:
Quote:
1st Life Cleric needs build for 3x Morninglord+Paladin Past Lives.

Turn Specced Please.
--
So 15 Paladin / 4 Cleric / 1 Fighter then?

And I would go T5 KotC anyway - Avenging Cleave and Holy Ret are far too good to lose!

Obviously Extra Turning & Imp Turning are going to take up 2 of my Feats, I'm also going to be taking those Enhancements from both KotC & Radiant and I'd like to fit in Sacred Stance of course so Vanguard and Harper are out.

The Character is meant to be an AD&D Crusader Cleric fully capable of mowing down Undead - I'd like to keep the Paladin lives in that vein.

"fully capable of mowing down Undead" lol.  All the feats invested in turns are wasted, as turns.  Extra turns can be a good choice if you have some other use for channel divinity other than turning undead.  But turn undead itself is a broken ability and even gimping your character by stacking up every turn advantage you can find in feats, enhancements, and gear turn undead will be a very low performer in anything EH or higher, and not terribly good even at EN or in heroics.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2016 at 1:31pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:40am:
OK, maybe "viable" wasn't quite right, what I was trying to get at is a few core builds dominate with high overlap of feats and enhancements among variations on those builds.

It's hard to blame DDO for this when the extreme separation between a good feat and a loser feat came right over from the D&D source.  I don't know if their license required them to make few changes to the game or if they were just lazy, but I'm willing to bet that the number of players who actually understand the game mechanics and take feats such as Diehard, almost any of the skill boosting feats (really Athletic?  +2 to balance and swim?), the utter crap skill and save blended feats, and most of the save feats, is very, very low.

They could make a pass at these and balance them enough to make them more attractive.  But they won't.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint