Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) THE LATEST (Read 11983 times)
Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

THE LATEST
Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
"THE LATEST: We are currently working on a patch, and expect to announce downtime in the coming days. This patch includes a fix to several stacking enhancement issues along with some other optimizations. We'll keep you updated."

Yeah, this isn't going to fix anything. the enhancement issues may cause -some- problems, but they're not the cause of the serverwide lag. Notice how vague Jerry is on "optimizations". I don't think defragmenting their hard drives is going to help much, either.

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: THE LATEST
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Knight Solaire wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 7:47pm:
I don't think defragmenting their hard drives is going to help much, either.

Defragmenting the DAT files would help... a lot...

First it would get rid of the numerous copies of the same script/piece of code/string table that are in the files
Second removing the copies would reduce the file size
Third the reduced file size would make it easier to load
Fourth it would kill the double connection issue some people still have
Fifth it would kill the Red/yellow connection at logon for the rest.

And last, it would make them learn a bit at how the game works internally... Because right now they don't seem to have a clue.

As for the enhancement stacking... It's just the way for Cordovan to tell us that he won't tell what is really the origin of the issue because it might be exploited.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I think he honestly just doesn't know anything. He admitted last week or so that he is "a bit behind on what exactly is going on." Nobody tells kobold nothin'. Either that, or he just doesn't understand any of the network jargon. Any time he has gotten into any technical speech, it is very clear that he is just parroting words from someone more qualified than him. Which results in us more or less being left in the dark.

For more transparency, we would really need a detailed Producer's Letter getting into the grit of what is going on and when they actually expect for things to improve. I believe the reason this has not happened is because the news is pretty bad, and according to rumors things won't have a chance of starting to improve until June at the earliest. Which is something they don't want to admit to their customers, much less their bosses.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:39am
Print Post  
The lag is so heinous now this game is very nearly unplayable.  Your party aggros more than half a dozen monsters and you're gonna get killed but Turbine loves it cause they sell tons of cakes.

- Zorro

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:55am
Print Post  
"DDO Bonus Days bring you a Buddy Weekend! Get +10% XP per party member other than yourself, starting on Thursday and running through April 17th!"

Turdbin trolleth ........ durp durp

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:55am:
"DDO Bonus Days bring you a Buddy Weekend! Get +10% XP per party member other than yourself, starting on Thursday and running through April 17th!"

Turdbin trolleth ........ durp durp

Yes, the missing part is "if you can finish a quest"
Raids will be great with +110% XP to make up for only being able to finish 1 raid for the entire weekend.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
To fix the lag issue, they need to offer +10% XP for every  member of the party under 6, i.e. +50% for soloing since that's pretty much the only way to avoid the really bad lag.

They can post a "Mission Accomplished" banner during the weekend.

IP Logged

Vtec
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:22am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:06am:
To fix the lag issue, they need to offer +10% XP for every  member of the party under 6, i.e. +50% for soloing since that's pretty much the only way to avoid the really bad lag.

They can post a "Mission Accomplished" banner during the weekend.

I know this is mostly a joke but this would probably actually quiet some of the anger.

I mean, they could also just leave the damned bonus on until things are stable as a "sorry" and THEN give the bonus for full groups on top of that as a way to test out whatever fixes they can come up with.

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Vtec wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:22am:
I know this is mostly a joke but this would probably actually quiet some of the anger.

I mean, they could also just leave the damned bonus on until things are stable as a "sorry" and THEN give the bonus for full groups on top of that as a way to test out whatever fixes they can come up with.

DDO has been inching closer and closer to a solo game for a long time, this may be the final push. Of course, solo DDO is about as fun as solo D&D.

IP Logged

Doodle
Abbot Raider

Shoot first ask questions
later!

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I did shroud last night with 8-9 people.  Lag was horrible.  We completed only because 4-5 of us are very capable players.  They seem to not care at turbine, nor Warner brothers.  They could fix this if they wanted. 

They can let me see their code.  I promise I'll be nice. 

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:52am by Doodle »  

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Doodle wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:49am:
I did shroud last night with 8-9 people.  Lag was horrible.  We completed only because 4-5 of us are very capable players.  They seem to not care at turbine, nor Warner brothers.  They could fix this if they wanted. 

They can let me see their code.  I promise I'll be nice. 

Turbine is incapable, Warner doesn't care. I'm sure there at least some Turbine employees that are truly lamenting the state of the game, but they don't have the skills or knowledge to fix it.

And management isn't going to try something like opening the source code to the public.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:58am by Knight Solaire »  

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:39am:
but Turbine loves it cause they sell tons of cakes.

Like fuck. My process:

Log on
Go to a quest I can easily manage
Lag out and die
Hit ALT+F4

Despite having more cakes than I'll ever need or know what to do with. Only an idiot goes back for a second go round.

Because I like the game combat engine still, despite all the fucking up they've done recently, I'll keep trying every week or two, but I don't have much faith they can fix it.

Which reminds me, I have a question, new topic time.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 12:33pm:
Only an idiot goes back for a second go round.

If we weren't all idiots, we wouldn't be playing DDO.  A rational and intelligent person would have given up and gone to neverwinter long ago.

- Zorro

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:10pm:
If we weren't all idiots, we wouldn't be playing DDO.  A rational and intelligent person would have given up and gone to something that doesn't suck spooge out of a donkey's anus long ago.

FTFY. Unfortunately, Neverwinter is not one of those games. Grim Dawn's pretty fun though.

IP Logged

Knight Solaire
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
FTFY. Unfortunately, Neverwinter is not one of those games. Grim Dawn's pretty fun though.

Yeah. I was gonna say. Even despite all it's flaws and horrible mismanagement, DDO still manages to be better than Neverwinter.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Knight Solaire wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:57am:
And management isn't going to try something like opening the source code to the public.

Management CAN'T open the source code to the public.

This is the thing no one gets when they say "Durrrrr, why doesn't turbine just make it open-source?"

DDO is not something Turbine programmed 100% in-house, it includes technology licenced from other vendors -vendors who might not want their expensive product being given away for free.

DDO might also include source code borrowed from other turbine games, or code it has loaned to games developed since. This all creates a MASSIVE legal clusterfuck. Its possible only in the sense that to do so, someone would have to violate international copyright law, or re-write half the game from scratch.

TL;DR - Turbine cannot release the source code without recieving dozens of lawsuits and at least one employee going to prison.

Hopefully it'll be Cordovan.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #17 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Knight Solaire wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:44pm:
Yeah. I was gonna say. Even despite all it's flaws and horrible mismanagement, DDO still manages to be better than Neverwinter.

Yup. Tried NW again a couple weeks ago (after maybe a year away) - that lasted all of about 30 minutes before I realized nothing I disliked about it had changed at all.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Neverwinter Nights: From the Makers of Pay2Win Online.

Yeah, all I know about Neverwinter is it was made by the same people behind PerfectWorld Online, where you could pay $5,000 to absolutely dominate at PvP.

That's all I needed to know to ensure I will never play any game they make.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:36pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Doggydaddy
Titan Demolisher

Pull my Finger......

Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
But... yew can modify your toons tits!!! Make em BIGGER.. make em smaller and perkier!!

noamineo wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 6:07pm:
Neverwinter Nights: From the Makers of Pay2Win Online.

Yeah, all I know about Neverwinter is it was made by the same people behind PerfectWorld Online, where you could pay $5,000 to absolutely dominate at PvP.

That's all I needed to know to ensure I will never play any game they make.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:36pm:

I tried Black Desert. It's a beautiful, shmexy... korean MMO. All the things people don't like about those are still there. But damn, are those boobs delectable.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #22 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 2:44am:
Defragmenting the DAT files would help... a lot...

First it would get rid of the numerous copies of the same script/piece of code/string table that are in the files
Second removing the copies would reduce the file size
Third the reduced file size would make it easier to load
Fourth it would kill the double connection issue some people still have
Fifth it would kill the Red/yellow connection at logon for the rest.

And last, it would make them learn a bit at how the game works internally... Because right now they don't seem to have a clue.

As for the enhancement stacking... It's just the way for Cordovan to tell us that he won't tell what is really the origin of the issue because it might be exploited.

Just an aside.

Sev mentioned today during the live stream that they swapped to a "new OS" with the new host. What I heard in that was their VMs weren't ramping up MP usage.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:06am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 2:52am:
Sev mentioned today during the live stream that they swapped to a "new OS" with the new host. What I heard in that was their VMs weren't ramping up MP usage.

This tells me, if they are running VMWare (I have zero experience with the other VM vendors products) that they are running the professional version rather than the desktop version, since the desktop version basically runs an OS such as Windows on a VM platform while the server versions run a native OS.

From the brief comments Sev made on Jerry's Wednesday livestream about eliminating OS calls this seems likely.  And it is actually a decent plan.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:07am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 2:52am:
Sev mentioned today during the live stream that they swapped to a "new OS" with the new host.

New version of the OS ( namely Windows ), and deprecated windows functions that didn't behave well in a Virtualized environment....

Frank wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:06am:
From the brief comments Sev made on Jerry's Wednesday livestream about eliminating OS calls this seems likely.

Not really possible, but with VMWare ESXI ( compared to VMWare Workstation ) you don't run your VMs on top of an OS... you run them straight on top of VMWare.
( so you get rid of the hosting OS. )

Also in ESXI all the VMs are separated, while in the Workstation version the VMs all share the hosting OS kernel.

( it's a bit like Solaris Zones ( VMWare WS ) and Virtualization through SunxVM ( ESXI ) both allows people to play with Virtual machines, but one does that straight out of the hardware while the other need a running OS )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint