Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) The weirdness of today's patch... (Read 10397 times)
lasertag
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: The weirdness of today's patch...
Reply #25 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
they should institute a policy of paying 50 codex runes per forum post.

would anyone be willing to thank them for all their hard work ad nauseam anymore?

having to actually schlep through a shroud before you can talk about how you never get lag from this great game?

i suspect most of these forum posters will have to cap a destiny and flag before they could post again.

side benefit: fran has to run 20 shrouds a day to keep up his important work.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2016 at 8:05pm by lasertag »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 2:36pm:
It's as if they thought

They didn't.  They have a dartboard with a bunch of guesses on it, and then they punch Jerry in the nuts while he is blindfolded and get him to throw in the general direction.  A miss means another month of lag.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Yojimbo
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Same lag post patch. Which stinks.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Were there release notes?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

LordHumungus
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:54pm:

Doubt they will post notes for a series of random nerfs they pinned to Cordo's corpulent ass and threw darts at.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #30 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 2:33am
Print Post  
The patch did some things... We namaged to have an almost lag free Velah ( a few small spikes) , an almost lag free Tempest Spine ( same ), a lag free Hound. For those it was almost as if we were back to before the datacenter move.

Most of the noticed lag spikes were at the obvious culprits : Guild renown award and Quest advencement.

Now we tried a shroud... and as soon as we got to part 2 and moved the trash mob in the center to deal with them it became a lag nightmare that lead to a wipe.

At a guess, I'd say that they still have a problem with teleporting mob... anyway, we just couldn't be arsed to continue or restart raid, so we went to bed.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #31 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:55am
Print Post  
every time the servers come back up the lag is slightly better and everyone loses their load early with "yay lag is fixed" ...... never fucking learn.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #32 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:55am:
every time the servers come back up the lag is slightly better and everyone loses their load early with "yay lag is fixed" ...... never fucking learn.

I know, lag is tied to airship amenities! That's why when they restart the server and everybody's amenities are gone, things work great, once they repopulate the lag starts to grow. So the fix is going to be to introduce a longer delay before amenities are restored after a reboot. Now you can file a ticket and they'll say wait until Monday and check again.

But some people really like their amenities, so Turbine will offer a "Amenity Restorer Potion" for just 95 TP, and that will bring your amenities back in time for a weekend run.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

spambot3000
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 6:46pm:
Like that time they stealth-nerfed the jump in Let Sleeping Dust Lie? Otherwise known as "the damn spider quest" otherwise know as "that quest I pike every life because fuck playing a game to have fun"? Yeah, I still have not forgiven the devs for patching that. Fuck every last one of them with a bark-covered stick.

the jump is still doable, fucking idiots cannot even stealth nerf shit right

IP Logged

Erofen
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:15pm:
You can "toggle" by sliding it all the way to zero. 

If the toggle being referred to was a player mute, sure. But the toggle being referred to is if the stupid ui slider even shows up on the screen.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #35 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 1:51am
Print Post  

5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 5:54pm:

Here :

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/474544-What-happened-to-the-volume-sli...

Turbine and Version Control... Roll Eyes

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 1:51am:
Turbine and Version Control... Roll Eyes

They have none.  This is far from the first time this sort of thing has happened, to the point where you'd think that they would get a clue.  But they apparently have no ability to learn from their mistakes and improve their processes.

Jerry claims that he opened up the PC forums on 4/1 "for ~2 minutes" because he did something like hit too many backspaces while cloning the kobold forums out of the PC forums.  Which means he was making direct changes to the forums without anyone peer reviewing his work.  So they have no change control board, no change management, no configuration management, etc.  I've fired people for coming into work for a planned maintenance with no plan for what they were going to do and especially no reversion plan for when they inevitably fuck things up.  Tired from lack and sleep and no written plan makes for a bad combination.  And if they don't write out a plan and decide to call in sick I can't even pass the work of to someone else or do it myself.

They have people who post occasionally on the forums and claim to be QA, but I'm pretty sure that what they actually do is quite different from what would be called QA at any other company that didn't invent their own definitions for these roles.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #37 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 1:11pm:
They have none.  This is far from the first time this sort of thing has happened, to the point where you'd think that they would get a clue.  But they apparently have no ability to learn from their mistakes and improve their processes.

They are so full of themselves that they are convinced that they do not make mistakes.

Therefore, there is nothing for them to learn from.

Even MajMal came here and said that they are experts, and didn't need input from the players, and he was somewhat enlightened.  Dicknose Feather of Son was "damned good at his job".

When you're that fucking awesome, there is no room for improvement in any of the processes.

There are no failures in execution.  There is no lag.

Jerry probably thinks he's a ninja with a 28" waist.

Didn't someone here say they didn't see anything that lead them to believe that the guys at Turbine were "hacks"?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #38 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 3:46pm:
Didn't someone here say they didn't see anything that lead them to believe that the guys at Turbine were "hacks"?

They accepted a job at Turbine. That's enough evidence by itself that they were out of options.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 1:39am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 3:46pm:
When you're that fucking awesome, there is no room for improvement in any of the processes.

I've noticed that in small companies where a young person plays a key role heads tend to swell up fast.  And if no one from management is good enough to keep it in check it can really escalate and spread badly, with entitlement and special snowflake status getting in the way of good practices and good work.

Given that I do not believe that I have ever seen anyone over the age of ~30 on any of their livestreams, it is fairly likely that Turbine is in this very bad rut right now.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint