Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Has DDO been put up for sale yet? (Read 13525 times)
eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Re: Has DDO been put up for sale yet?
Reply #25 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:04pm:
Path of Exile. Cosmetics and bank space. They're making good money too, or were last I checked.

seconded

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
DDO is the only game I've seen yet that does micro transactions right.

Not sure I'd go quite that far, but they were doing a pretty good job.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 4:09pm:
Not sure I'd go quite that far, but they were doing a pretty good job.

I guess it's definitely one of those things that's in the eye of the beholder.

I've seen the two extremes:

There's the EQ/Whoever runs that star wars shit model where "micro transactions" means you can buy a few meaningless health potions, VIP status, and a token character slot or too, but only have access to 10% of the game unless you buy a subscription. (I believe the

Then there is the far end of the spectrum is "Everything: $5" as in "Every THING $5!" From ammo to rezes to adventures. Not buying adventure packs, as in "pay a fee to go on this adventure once. Wanna go again tomorrow? Pay again tomorrow." Just nickle and dime every possible direction at once. My favorite? there's a 2-D side-scrolling spaceship combat game that's browser-based, sort of a rich-man's crappier EVE Online. I say rich man's because every single ship besides the starter ship costs real money to repair, and the game will flat out SELL YOU the very best stuff in the entire game for a measly... $5,000 USD.

DDO sits neatly in the habitable zone of the spectrum: sure, there's cash-grabs like healing and mana potions, and "pay-to-wins" like XP stones and potions(if you can consider the game as having a "Win" condition), but most of the things worth buying are 1-time and keep it stuff like adventure packs, tomes, races, etc. They're selling you the game peacemeal, but its not so different from the way games back in the day sold expansion packs(you had to own the original game to use the expansion).

I guess what I see when I look at DDO's model is one where nothing is available by subscription that you can't buy with a 1-time fee, and that's the way it should be. I'd never have come back to DDO if 80% of the adventure packs were subscription-only. Meanwhile, I spend enough to fund at least 2 subs, but at least I feel good about it Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Don't disagree with much of what you say, but I see it like this:

DDO - early freemium model
Current (applicable) MMOs - tragic evolution of freemium model
Future possibilities - better evolution of freemium model

I think DDO did it pretty well, especially given they were somewhat blazing a trail, but I think there's room for improvement.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:10pm:
Don't disagree with much of what you say, but I see it like this:

DDO - early freemium model
Current (applicable) MMOs - tragic evolution of freemium model
Future possibilities - better evolution of freemium model

I think DDO did it pretty well, especially given they were somewhat blazing a trail, but I think there's room for improvement.

The current evolution makes me cry. I hope the future improves. You're right, there is definitely room for improvement. But I also haven't seen an example yet of a game that did it as well as DDO(well, ok, LOTRO, but come on!)So, while DDO could do better, its still doing the best.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #30 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:37pm:
The current evolution makes me cry. I hope the future improves. You're right, there is definitely room for improvement. But I also haven't seen an example yet of a game that did it as well as DDO(well, ok, LOTRO, but come on!)So, while DDO could do better, its still doing the best.

Agreed.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
But I also haven't seen an example yet of a game that did it as well as DDO

Once again, POE.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:27am
Print Post  
But I also haven't seen an example yet of a game that did it as well as DDO

Pussysaga.com

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:27am:
Pussysaga.com

That game was too hard.

It kept giving me directions that got me lost, kept changing its mind on quest objectives, and for the life of me I couldn't understand where my money kept disappearing too...

I gave it up as it seemed unwinnable.   Sad

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #34 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:31pm:
It kept giving me directions that got me lost, kept changing its mind on quest objectives, and for the life of me I couldn't understand where my money kept disappearing too...

I gave it up as it seemed unwinnable.   

I'm pretty sure this is one of the victory conditions.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #35 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:31pm:
That game was too hard.

Sweet talk the man in the canoe. It opens up the secret levels.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 1:34am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:46pm:
Once again, POE.

Power Over Ethernet? Tongue

What game is POE? I'll take a gander at any game that does micro transactions well. Gotta have a backup in case DDO gets closed down!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #37 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:36am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:46pm:
Once again, POE.

Ponies Online EX ?

What the hell is POE ?

( I guess it's not Edgard Allan POE )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:10am
Print Post  
POE = Path of Exile.

You're welcome to play power over Ethernet though...

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:11am by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #39 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:10am:
POE = Path of Exile.

You're welcome to play power over Ethernet though...

PNG beat me to it, but this. The development studio is run by gamers who didn't like how modern games were run, so they made their own. I think it started as a kickstarter, and exploded to 5 million users in a year or two after getting out of beta. They don't allow P2Win, and they roll most profits back into improving the game. It's F2P for real, you get access to all content for free and and they don't put in artificial grind that you can buy your way out of.

My only complaint is the game is pretty dark, more horror than fantasy.

They are proof that if you make a good game the fans will make sure it stays alive even if, or maybe especially if, you don't try to put the high pressure squeeze on them.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #40 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I've been trying PoE out the past two weeks since seeing it recommended in this thread.   

It's not bad.  I can vouch for the comments about it not being P2W.  As far as I could tell, the only types of things available in their microtransaction store are cosmetics and shared bank space.  In general, I could not care less about cosmetics. At some point, I will likely buy some just to help support the game but I definitely do not feel any gameplay related pressure to buy anything. 

Useful RNG loot seems to be easily acquired as you play through the game and aside from a few choice rares, I don't see much point in hoarding a lot of gear in the shared bank for alts.  It definitely feels like a complete game without any microtransactions.

The funny thing is, decent RNG loot is so common that the one thing I would gladly throw at the studio for is some additional character inventory space.  The increased space would be a nice quality of life bonus by reducing the frequency of your mid-dungeon crawl trips back to town to sell.

The only gripe I have with the game is lack of customization in the UI and control settings.  I do not like the mouse-click to move interface.  I would much prefer to use the keyboard to move and the mouse to attack and interact with things.

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2016 at 3:34pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #41 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I dearly wish you could change the mouselook navigation and fixed camera angle (well, adjustable over so small a range as to be practically fixed). And I think many of us give them money to keep them in business as opposed to because we really want what they are selling. I still have thousands of unspent TP for the same reason, though I'm not making any more of those purchases until they mend their ways.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #42 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 12:50pm:
I still have thousands of unspent TP for the same reason, though I'm not making any more of those purchases until they mend their ways.

You can spend those TP; unspent TP is pure profit. You've already sunk the cash, you might as well get something for it.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 7:33pm:
You can spend those TP; unspent TP is pure profit.

Purchased TP is pure profit.  It does not matter if it is spent or not.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #44 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 11:48pm:
Purchased TP is pure profit.  It does not matter if it is spent or not.

Good clarification.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #45 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 7:33pm:
You can spend those TP; unspent TP is pure profit. You've already sunk the cash, you might as well get something for it.

I'm getting dual use from my unspent TP. Tripple use, really. The first use was buying them when I wasn't out, it was a way of saying "I like your game, I want you to stay in business". The second and third uses, the phase I'm in now, is simultaneously telling them they haven't produced enough quality offerings to tempt me, and assuring both me and them that even if I do buy something on a whim I don't need to buy TP to do it.

With a big stack of TP and no recent purchases, I'm telling them that I'm willing to spend money, but with their current level of quality it won't happen again any time soon.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:29pm:
I'm getting dual use from my unspent TP. Tripple use, really. The first use was buying them when I wasn't out, it was a way of saying "I like your game, I want you to stay in business". The second and third uses, the phase I'm in now, is simultaneously telling them they haven't produced enough quality offerings to tempt me, and assuring both me and them that even if I do buy something on a whim I don't need to buy TP to do it.

With a big stack of TP and no recent purchases, I'm telling them that I'm willing to spend money, but with their current level of quality it won't happen again any time soon.

You're getting zero use out of your TP.

The amount you spent on TP isn't keeping them in business.

They don't care if you don't spend your TP on bits and bytes, and they aren't going to rush to create new things for you to buy with them just because you have a pile of them unspent.

You assume that they actually look or even care how much unspent TP players have, and draw any kind of conclusion from this hypothetical record keeping.

Open a ticket and state your case.  It will be in all probability ignored, but you'll have said exactly what you wanted to say.  That will go further than sitting on a pile of TP and hoping against hope that Turbine arrives at the same conclusions you believe you are somehow telepathically communicating to them by doing so.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #47 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
You assume that they actually look or even care how much unspent TP players have, and draw any kind of conclusion from this hypothetical record keeping.

No, I don't. I'm pretty sure they measure almost nothing, and are too stupid to understand anything they did manage to measure. They have proved time and again that they are utterly incompetent and wilfully refuse to follow good practices to prove to themselves that they are special.

The message I send is like singing in the shower, I do it for my own amusement, without the expectation that anybody is listening.

And quite honestly I'm beyond both hope and care. I've accepted that they are running this game into the ground, and that I can't change it, so I'll get what enjoyment I can out of it while it lasts, and then I'll move on.

I always vote, too, in case you couldn't guess  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #48 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:27pm:
And quite honestly I'm beyond both hope and care. I've accepted that they are running this game into the ground, and that I can't change it, so I'll get what enjoyment I can out of it while it lasts, and then I'll move on.

This is a pretty healthy place to be.  Just enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

IP Logged

LordHumungus
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Went ahead and downloaded PoE and I'm digging it. Always loved Diablo and D2, D3 is OK as well. Learning curve is more like a fucking cliff though. I think it may actually be easier to bork a character there than in DDO. Seems pretty lag free so that's a nice change of pace.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint