Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cordovan's creative solution (Read 8445 times)
m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Cordovan's creative solution
Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
So Cordo started a thread about lag, requesting ppl to share what and how and when they experienced it.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/474557-The-latest-on-lag-and-game-perf...

At first I thought: "Omg, turbine is finally taking a full-scale approach" But then I gave it some thoughts based on what he requested from ppl to share:

1. Server
2. Approximate time
3. General class makeup and group composition
4. Size of party/raid group
5. Quest or raid run
6. General experience

Thus considering turbine's past methods we can assume that they are planning to:
1. Close/merge servers
2. Introduce a hidden queue that will kick europeans when they try to log in thru the client at "USA" wake hours, and kick USA people during european wake hours.
3. Nerf warlock, casters, rangers, tempests, rogues
4. Reduce raid groups to a max of 10 ppl as they considered this before
5. Introduce higher drop rates so you can get something in case you make it thru the raid
6. Generally ruin game experience a lot more.

Any other ideas about those concepts?

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Re: Cordovan's creative solution
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:02am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:46am:
5. Introduce higher drop rates so you can get something in case you make it thru the raid

Won't happen.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:46am:
Thus considering turbine's past methods we can assume that they are planning to:
1. Doom
2. Doom.
3. Doom.
4. Doom.
5. Lol.  Yeah right.
6. Doom.

Any other ideas about those concepts?

My opinion of your concepts.  I like how you pivoted from Doom to pie in the sky on 5 and then back to Doom again. 

More likely outcome:

1.  Collect a ton of info
2.  Say nothing about what they are doing with it.
3.  A week later make a few changes.
4.  Nominal impact on lag.
5.  Fanbois praise the changes.  Ironclan continues to rant about maintenance mode and license expiring like a dipshit.  Most of the game population is too jaded and lethargic to care either way. 
6.  Go to #1.  Rinse and repeat.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 11:35am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:02am:
Won't happen.

You know it kinda shows how desperate you are, no offense. The fact that you interpret the "carrot on a stick" as a good thing.

Turbine has really twisted your senses. Tongue

Obviously 5 may seem to be not in line with the other 5 points, it is actually in line with turbine "player satisfaction policies".

The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:50am:
My opinion of your concepts.  I like how you pivoted from Doom to pie in the sky on 5 and then back to Doom again. 

More likely outcome:

5.  Fanbois praise the changes.  Ironclan continues to rant about maintenance mode and license expiring like a dipshit.  Most of the game population is too jaded and lethargic to care either way. 

This may be the most down trodden I have ever seen you.  It's disheartening.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
7. A magical unicorn-elf appears and fixes the lag with the air of fairy magic. Game runs lag free for ~6 months, then data center runs out of pixie dust and we are back where we started. Turbine does not know how to fix.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 11:35am:
You know it kinda shows how desperate you are, no offense. The fact that you interpret the "carrot on a stick" as a good thing.

No offense taken.

I don't feel desperate.  More like "jaded".

Increasing drop rates benefits players, even if they must suffer the "stick" of lag, therefore it will not happen.

More likely outcome:

1.  I'm sure their data shows that they don't need a ton of info, and they certainly don't need it from their customers who are too stupid to understand anything.  Accepting it from them is a placebo.
2.  Spot on - they won't say how they're using any of the metrics they're measuring, nor will they disclose what they've collected (either the metrics itself or the value of the metrics)
3.  "A week later".  You're funny.
4.  Any effect will be indistinguishable from a fresh server reboot.
5.  Spot on.
6.  I think rinsing and repeating is unlikely.

Eventually a motivated customer will collect enough information on their own and dig enough into it to identify the cause and post a solution (Abbot 20th list, editing the userpreferences.ini to increase connection speed, double login solved by pre-loading, several others).

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:17pm:
This may be the most down trodden I have ever seen you.  It's disheartening.

I really enjoy playing DDO.  I do not enjoy what the lag has done to DDO.  I deal with the fact that they had trouble after a data center move.  As an IT professional, I can feel empathy for them and be the customer I want to have when my company is having a tough time with unanticipated issues.  But now that we have passed 30 days, that patience and empathy has worn out.

The problem with the info request is that they are past this point already.  Acting like you still need help figuring out where the lag is at this point in the process is not a good look.  They need to step their resolution efforts up to the next level.  Asking for the kind of feedback they are asking for is either disingenuous or inept.  The lag is not intermittent.  (If it were, the feedback request would be valid).  Any dev can log on to production and run DoJ, Wyrm, Shroud, Spine, or HoX on LE/EE and see the lag.  It happens 100% of the time in raids.  No exceptions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Ironclan continues to rant about maintenance mode and license expiring like a dipshit.

As I said in Teamspeak when that topic came up... If the licence wasn't already renewed for a few years, Turbine wouldn't have bothered moving the servers to a new datacenter, they would just had left them on the old datacenter until the cutoff date.

As for maintenance mode : *shrug*

Asheras wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:54pm:
sking for the kind of feedback they are asking for is either disingenuous or inept.

inept... like the traceroutes towards the gls server were inept after the 10 or 15 first. But, thanks to Turbine wisdom, we can't traceroute the server themselves anymore, so we can't show if there's a real issue in their internal network or if it's just VMs and server misbehaving.

Any dev can log on to production and run DoJ, Wyrm, Shroud, Spine, or HoX on LE/EE and see the lag.  It happens 100% of the time in raids.  No exceptions.

Except that they log in through a backdoor that has a direct LAN access to the backend... So they don't hit the frontend interfaces and the customer facing stuff.
( note : this is a really really really wild assed guess, but it wouldn't surprise me )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I really enjoy playing DDO.  I do not enjoy what the lag has done to DDO.  I deal with the fact that they had trouble after a data center move.  As an IT professional, I can feel empathy for them and be the customer I want to have when my company is having a tough time with unanticipated issues.  But now that we have passed 30 days, that patience and empathy has worn out.

The problem with the info request is that they are past this point already.  Acting like you still need help figuring out where the lag is at this point in the process is not a good look.  They need to step their resolution efforts up to the next level.  Asking for the kind of feedback they are asking for is either disingenuous or inept.  The lag is not intermittent.  (If it were, the feedback request would be valid).  Any dev can log on to production and run DoJ, Wyrm, Shroud, Spine, or HoX on LE/EE and see the lag.  It happens 100% of the time in raids.  No exceptions.

I'm sure it's been said here before, but I'm quite certain they know EXACTLY what the problem is and EXACTLY how to fix it.  The grim truth is they are NOT going to fix it because of money issues, staff issues...whatever.

So we are stuck with the lag and small patches and band-aids, probably permanently. 

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:46pm
Print Post  

More likely outcome:

3.  A month or two later make a few changes.
4.  Nominal to no impact on lag.
4a. Other bugs and/or unintended consequences applied.

FTFY

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:36pm:
I'm sure it's been said here before, but I'm quite certain they know EXACTLY what the problem is and EXACTLY how to fix it.  The grim truth is they are NOT going to fix it because of money issues, staff issues...whatever.

So we are stuck with the lag and small patches and band-aids, probably permanently. 

It takes money and staff to even know EXACTLY what the problem is and EXACTLY how to fix it, so I will merely commend you on your shiny tinfoil hat.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:12pm:
Except that they log in through a backdoor that has a direct LAN access to the backend... So they don't hit the frontend interfaces and the customer facing stuff.
( note : this is a really really really wild assed guess, but it wouldn't surprise me )

That's a bullshit excuse.  My business runs several cloud applications.  We have a verizon hotspot that connects via 4G and can test our apps on that.  Costs $19.99 per month.  A basic Time Warner internet account also costs about $29.99 per month and is another test source we can use.  Testing via local/dedicated connections to the data center is useful for functional testing, but for performance testing, you need a variety of external connections.  Which are cheap and easy to maintain.

Lots of easy options for that sort of thing.  If worst comes to worst, have a few employees telecommute for an hour or two one day and do performance testing from their home internet.  It's not rocket science.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:50pm:
It takes money and staff to even know EXACTLY what the problem is and EXACTLY how to fix it, so I will merely commend you on your shiny tinfoil hat.

No, it can be quite easy to identify the problem.  Fixes, however, can be very costly or simply not doable.

I can easily identify a cracked head gasket on my car.  Fixing it is another problem entirely.

I commend you on your try though, you dumb piece of shit.

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Fat Jerry is a fucking moron and whoever told him to post that stupid fucking list did so just to shut his fat face up for a few days. All the Jerry's Kids on the mobos lap that shit up like it's drippings from one of Jerry's anal discharges.

Pardon my French

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:59pm by Turd_Ferguson »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Bread and circuses to keep us quite.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:37pm:
No, it can be quite easy to identify the problem.  Fixes, however, can be very costly or simply not doable.

I can easily identify a cracked head gasket on my car.  Fixing it is another problem entirely.

I commend you on your try though, you dumb piece of shit.

Right, because there's absolutely no difference between popping your hood and seeing the oil and radiator fluid leaking out of your head and finding systemic problems in software code.

I think everyone knows who the dumb piece of shit is.  If you want to find out also, just look in a mirror.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:02am:
Won't happen.

No, they'll do it.  But they'll fuck up the tables.  Its Turdbine.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Turd_Ferguson wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:59pm:
Fat Jerry is a fucking moron and whoever told him to post that stupid fucking list did so just to shut his fat face up for a few days. All the Jerry's Kids on the mobos lap that shit up like it's drippings from one of Jerry's anal discharges.

Pardon my French

This. With a master lag thread on plain sight people will start to post their experiences in it avoiding to fill pages on the forum with

Lag in DW
Still stuck in Korthos
Game unplayable
A plea to sev's mother
She wears combat boots

etc, etc .....

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
i don't know... I really don't. there is so many vaulties on here with brains, and I have seen you guys reply to shit, that you would think even if cordo is here with sev looking they would at least get some information on what to try and what to fix. I know a few guys on here that even code.
and again, I am still lost as top why they haven't fixed their shit. if I was WOC I would talk with warner (regarding movie rights) and look for launching a new ddo2 game and let this one die, its so so broke and the original coders have parts locked so its really always a situation where your going to be chasing your tail.
a new version of the game will allow you to then experience a smoother play style, better grafix and new storylines, while also keeping the old story, converted to new code. this is what I think they should focus on.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:53pm:
1.  I'm sure their data shows that they don't need a ton of info

When you can't understand the data you've collected, your data always shows you don't need more data.

OldCoaly wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:53pm:
Eventually a motivated customer will collect enough information on their own and dig enough into it to identify the cause and post a solution (Abbot 20th list, editing the userpreferences.ini to increase connection speed, double login solved by pre-loading, several others).

And Cordo will promptly ban them for it.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
this thread belongs to asheras hands down fuck the rest of you people writing this fan fiction

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #22 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:06am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 8:30pm:
this thread belongs to asheras hands down fuck the rest of you people writing this fan fiction

I like how you use the vault as an 'AdultFriendFinder'.

Wow.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:12am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:06am:
I like how you use the vault as an 'AdultFriendFinder'.

i like how each time you post you justify every instance in which youve been called gay and retarded

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

palmer01
VoD Slasher

Paladin Slayer

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:36am
Print Post  
This is how I see it.

They will finally, FINALLY fix every ounce of lag - have everything running optimal. They Game itself will have a rebirth of excitement; people will start talking overly positive about the game. New Graphics will be introduced. Qwijimart will once again become relevant; Strakeln will even contemplate coming back and then......It will all cease to exist because in their ultimate and epic moment of benevolence and marked up intelligence, they will lose their licensing and even fail to go into maintenance mode.

And in the background you will here old man Ironclad ranting I told you! I told you! I told you, I told you.......

And thus we cease to exist.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:38am by palmer01 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint