Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Update 31 Loot Preview (Read 28998 times)
QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Re: Update 31 Loot Preview
Reply #25 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I could deal with less Turbine “creativity” with the stat bonuses.  We now have Enhancement, Insight, Exceptional, Profane, Quality, and Festival.  Exceptional and Festival are slotable, so I can ignore them for a second.  That still leaves 4 different effing effects to try to slot.  Which gets more ridiculous on MAD characters.  I would have preferred to see Quality and Profane condensed into “Divine”, given some alignment options, and only stuck on raid/epic items.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #26 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I don't want this. I want more Murlynd's Spoons. A whole list.

Items like:
Ring of Air Breathing - Allows the wearer to breathe air. Flavor Text:  What? You can already breathe air? You lucky bastard.

Make my vendor trash amusing, or let them drop as rarely as Murlynd's Spoon does. Add them to the store (especially old PnP items that are useless in a quest, like a Flagon of Endless Water), and Turbine will turn on the money faucet.

DDO benefits immensely from RPG immersive elements like this.

There are other directions to go other than power creep.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:43pm:
Items like:
Ring of Air Breathing - Allows the wearer to breathe air. Flavor Text:  What? You can already breathe air? You lucky bastard.

Yeah, put them in for a limited time, and then remove them and add Aboleths as a monster. Now *that* would be creative. And funny.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 7:48pm:
I could deal with less Turbine “creativity” with the stat bonuses.  We now have Enhancement, Insight, Exceptional, Profane, Quality, and Festival.  Exceptional and Festival are slotable, so I can ignore them for a second.  That still leaves 4 different effing effects to try to slot.  Which gets more ridiculous on MAD characters.  I would have preferred to see Quality and Profane condensed into “Divine”, given some alignment options, and only stuck on raid/epic items.

Totally agree with this.  It seems casters who don't ultra specialize (e.g. force wizards) are left being subpar because it's near impossible to get max DPS and max crit for more than one element at a time.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #29 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:29pm
Print Post  

What I'm seeing is a lot of low plus "Quality" bonuses that would be all well and good but exactly where are we supposed to slot the actual high plus standard bonus item?

Example: Quality Str 1 but where do we slot Str 12?

Don't say Augment Slots because Augments only go up to like +7 max and are way behind random gen/named loot at every level!

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #30 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Ring and belt a must for mellees, but damn fitting in double-strike gear is gonna suck now

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 6:11pm:
Honestly, how much creativity do you really demand from a list of stat bonuses? We haven't seen the names or the quest they drop from yet. Every item can't have it's own unique special effect, there are too many of those already.

I went half way and acknowledged improvement.  More than most here.
But as some good posts above outline, there is still room to do something different.  Creativity requires something more than "same as before, but bigger numbers"

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #32 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 1:35am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:29pm:
What I'm seeing is a lot of low plus "Quality" bonuses that would be all well and good but exactly where are we supposed to slot the actual high plus standard bonus item?

Don't say Augment Slots because Augments only go up to like +7 max and are way behind random gen/named loot at every level!

Ability augment slots go up to +8 you noobtard.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Old DDO was a web of stat bonuses of more or less the same power with an oddball unique or set bonus here or there. Getting ahead was finding a way to make the epic gem of many facets work, or ensuring the libram got slotted in right, or making room for your dual unarmed ToD rings.

We remember, and it was interesting.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 2:54am
Print Post  

You slot stat +15 on a LGS weapon.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 2:54am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:05pm:
near impossible to get max DPS and max crit for more than one element at a time.

the only thing going for that, atm, is Dissolution combined with sticks and rings. 1 named item.... woot

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:04am
Print Post  

Yup, and too many different types of bonuses overall.  Fucking pain in the ass, just make the bonus bigger then putting 3 different types of potency on 1 item.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #37 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:12am
Print Post  
ddo loot sucks. they dropped the ball with the new (old now) augment system. Pretty much every augment sucks. theyre all way under performing compared anything else at the same level. For starters, the augments should have all mimiced loot enhancements at the same level. Diamonds of +8 stat at lvl 28 wen u can find +12 gear at lvl 28 makes no sense to me. Diamonds of +3 stat at lvl 14 when u can find or even cannith craft +6 stat items by lvl 9.

Augments were added as a way of adding underwhelming bonuses that dont really matter, aside from the UNIQUE ones that are mandatory on every toon. When you develop a system that is 80% useless and 20% mandatory, youve fucked up.

Augments and gear itself should be reconsidered. augments should have been the generic effect slots on every item. No item should come preset with generic effects. We should be allowed to build our gear.

consider encrusted ring. 2 generic effects, 2 specific effects. currently this ring is either useful for 1 level, or by now possibly completely invalidated by current RNG loot. If the generic slots were instead open rather than pigeonholed into +6/+1strength, perhaps this once sought raid item would still have use on certain builds, at any level, as long as the specific effects catered to the build.

If all the good, semi unique loot was customizable in this fashion, a lot more loot wouldnt be invalidated, the value of older quests and raids would increase, and even additional potential builds would become more viable.

Any time you look at a new piece of loot, i want you to consider just for a moment, how much better it would be if the preset generic stat bonuses on it were customizable to the specific stats you wanted to elevate, and only the loot/lore specific effects were fixed and unchangable.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:19am by eighnuss »  

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:34am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:12am:
ddo loot sucks. they dropped the ball with the new (old now) augment system. Pretty much every augment sucks. theyre all way under performing compared anything else at the same level. For starters, the augments should have all mimiced loot enhancements at the same level. Diamonds of +8 stat at lvl 28 wen u can find +12 gear at lvl 28 makes no sense to me. Diamonds of +3 stat at lvl 14 when u can find or even cannith craft +6 stat items by lvl 9.

Augments were added as a way of adding underwhelming bonuses that dont really matter, aside from the UNIQUE ones that are mandatory on every toon. When you develop a system that is 80% useless and 20% mandatory, youve fucked up.

Augments and gear itself should be reconsidered. augments should have been the generic effect slots on every item. No item should come preset with generic effects. We should be allowed to build our gear.

consider encrusted ring. 2 generic effects, 2 specific effects. currently this ring is either useful for 1 level, or by now possibly completely invalidated by current RNG loot. If the generic slots were instead open rather than pigeonholed into +6/+1strength, perhaps this once sought raid item would still have use on certain builds, at any level, as long as the specific effects catered to the build.

If all the good, semi unique loot was customizable in this fashion, a lot more loot wouldnt be invalidated, the value of older quests and raids would increase, and even additional potential builds would become more viable.

Any time you look at a new piece of loot, i want you to consider just for a moment, how much better it would be if the preset generic stat bonuses on it were customizable to the specific stats you wanted to elevate, and only the loot/lore specific effects were fixed and unchangable.

I understand your point, but consider this.

Augments are intentionally less powerful, because you can customise them.  I agree they're too under-powered - they should be one step back.  So +11 stat at ML28 for example.

If loot were completely customisable, it would create some problems.
Firstly, D&D is premised on always having some vulnerability.  Toons shouldn't be able to do everything and be invulnerable to everything.
Otherwise the threat/challenge is diminished and the enjoyment goes with it.  Every player desires their toon to be as powerful as possible.  Once they reach that objective they don't have as much motivation to keep playing.

Secondly, random loot would be a lot less useful.  With an AH, you can just buy the equipment with the slots colours you need and your done.

Thirdly, ongoing engagement (game sub longevity).  Once you had your ideal combination of items with slots (similiar to Path Of Exile system), what would be your motivation to continue seeking equipment?

The game engine could handle it as the LOTRO legendary weapons from years ago used to be like what you propose.
I also like the PoE system - but it was designed from the ground up though and would be very hard to retrospectively implement.

IP Logged

Dispel
Waterworks Kobold

What is dead may never
die!

Reply #39 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Boring but somewhat useful loot? Could have been worse.

NoWorries should move on to a game where no one complains, like educational aps for preschool Smiley

Best Troll eva' Niggas!

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #40 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:23am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:34am:
I understand your point, but consider this.

Augments are intentionally less powerful, because you can customise them.  I agree they're too under-powered - they should be one step back.  So +11 stat at ML28 for example.

If loot were completely customisable, it would create some problems.
Firstly, D&D is premised on always having some vulnerability.  Toons shouldn't be able to do everything and be invulnerable to everything.
Otherwise the threat/challenge is diminished and the enjoyment goes with it.  Every player desires their toon to be as powerful as possible.  Once they reach that objective they don't have as much motivation to keep playing.

Secondly, random loot would be a lot less useful.  With an AH, you can just buy the equipment with the slots colours you need and your done.

Thirdly, ongoing engagement (game sub longevity).  Once you had your ideal combination of items with slots (similiar to Path Of Exile system), what would be your motivation to continue seeking equipment?

The game engine could handle it as the LOTRO legendary weapons from years ago used to be like what you propose.
I also like the PoE system - but it was designed from the ground up though and would be very hard to retrospectively implement.

all valid points, none of which deserve to be dismissed. If a system like the one in my fan fiction above were to actually be implemented, these would all be top priorities regarding the balancing of this system against existing loot, the RNG, and replayability. regarding encouraging a continued grind, they could either add some kind of endless upgrade path to gear, or continue along the path of loot specific enchantments. Random loot itself could pretty much remain as is, generic effects but no specific effects, slottable. get a belt with generic 2 slots, pop in con 6 and gfl 30. run tod shit and eventually get your knosts belt- sell your old rng belt, place your con 6 and gfl into knosts, and the upgrade is the specific effects. if those specific effects are so valuable that you would choose to run that belt at 30, with only 2 slots, vs a belt like epic thoughful which could have 3 or 4 slots but perhaps a less useful specific effect to your specific build, that choice is yours. the gear that exists is too limited to level ranges, with no comparable counter parts beyond or below those ranges.

Theres tons of loot in this game that would be worth using IF it made sense. loot shouldnt be about min max, it should be about unique effects that cater to unique builds, paired with level appropriate bonuses in expected areas. in the current game, gear is slotted primarily to maximize the stats each player feels they need, followed by drizzling in some flavor in any open spots. Wouldnt it be nice to instead gear out by prioritizing unique gear specific effects, knowing you will be able to fit in the shit youd maximize anyway at the end?

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
The guardspam bracers are actually kinda cool. Haven't seen focused guard gear since greensteel.

I thought there was a problem with guards right now where if you have more than one of the same type (elemental damage, alignment damage, etc), then only one procs and the others do not.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 1:35am:

Yea, because the difference between +7 and +8 when you can get +12 or +14 on a random generated item is soooooooo significant.

If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Dispel
Waterworks Kobold

What is dead may never
die!

Reply #43 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:08am
Print Post  
nowAvaultie wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:00am:
Yea, because the difference between +7 and +8 when you can get +12 or +14 on a random generated item is soooooooo significant.

It isn't. But not knowing shit still is not nowing shit.

Best Troll eva' Niggas!

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Dispel wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 8:08am:
It isn't. But not knowing shit still is not nowing shit.

That's the point: the difference is so insignificant that the fact he got it wrong is also insignificant.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #45 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 1:35am:

and equally worthless-ish

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #46 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
The creation of Enhancement/Insightful/Quality/Exceptional/Profane/Festival stat bonuses is annoying in loot, however, I tend to not worry about profane or quality stat bonuses on any build except a DC caster.  +4 to quality strength on a stength based melee is not better than +10 deadly or +15% doublestrike or +22% armor piercing.  If it fits, fine, but chasing the "highest possible" base stat to the exclusion of other effects is a fool's errand. 

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #47 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:51pm
Print Post  

Fran are you OK? While your post is not 100% accurate I find it to actually make sense and not make me want to hit myself in the balls with a hammer.

Are you sick, or has the little fanboi in you finally been raped to death by turbine?
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2016 at 1:57pm by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I just wish they'd finally come through on the crafting pass so I can craft at least SOME of this stuff. Wading through the AH in search of an item that fits stopped being fun 4 loot passes ago...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

painkiller
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #49 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
slothinator wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Docent - Wooden - Insightful PRR +22, Insightful MRR +22, repair amp +72, Enhancement Sheltering +45, Green Augment Slot

docent looks decent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint