Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Fatty McDoublechin goes off (Read 11531 times)
Flipton
Ex Member

Fatty McDoublechin goes off
Apr 21st, 2016 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/474594-My-thoughts-of-the-10th-Anniver...

Jerry lost his shit this afternoon on this delightful thread reviewing the 'event' Take a look at this priceless piece of Hyperbole he trots out in a defensive fit:

Jerry said: Quote:
Since this thread is responsible for multiple times the reported posts as there are actual posts in this thread, it's time to shut things down. Stop with the fighting and insults.

After he posted that and closed the thread he went back and cut two full pages of posts that were criticizing the event and calling out the fanboi squadrons for abusing posters who didn't like the event. The most amazing part is how he left all the COC breaking posts made by Jerry's kids after closing the thread and pulling posts.

That guy is in a glass case of emotion!  Grin

IP Logged

Dullknife
Merkinspotter

Re: Fatty McDoublechin goes off
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Jerry said: Quote:
Since this thread is responsible for multiple times the reported posts as there are actual posts in this thread, it's time to shut things down. Stop with the fighting and insults.

The fuck kinda grammar is that? Did they sack Cuntovan and replace him with a Chinese-English toaster manual translator?

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:13am
Print Post  
People dared to criticise their event, and now they have hurt feelz.
Uurlock and crew spent hours spam reporting all those negative posts, so Cordovan could have his confected rage.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Yeah, more reports than posts says to me that there was a report campaign going on by the PC and other fanboys.  I read that thread, I didn't see much in the way of fighting and insults.  Just the usual "It sucked" "no it didn't" crap.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:27am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Dispel
Waterworks Kobold

What is dead may never
die!

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Moomooprincess is a crybaby. "I wanted something big and all I got was free loot and one more kobold challenge". Because game events get bigger over the years while player population is declining?

Best Troll eva' Niggas!

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:26am:
Yeah, more reports than posts says to me that there was a report campaign going on by the PC and other fanboys.  I read that thread, I didn't see much in the way of fighting and insults.  Just the usual "It sucked" "no it didn't" crap.

Did you read it pre-Cordoban?
It seems pretty sanitized now.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
I read the thread, but after the cuts.  I still see the same old doombois (IronClan and Zebedar) and the same old Fanbois (Turdh, Chai, Halfeal, and HAL) going at it.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:06am:
I read the thread, but after the cuts.  I still see the same old doombois (IronClan and Zebedar) and the same old Fanbois (Turdh, Chai, Halfeal, and HAL) going at it.

Who will win?!  Battle of the Century!

I feel like cordovan is the WWE ref who never sees the bad guy make the illegal move.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:16am
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:12am:
Who will win?!  Battle of the Century!

I feel like cordovan is the WWE ref who never sees the bad guy make the illegal move.

Nobody will win. 

You aren't going to convince a Doomboi that Turbine is anything other than a piece of shit and that the game is shutting down because of their gross ineptitude and disrespect/disdain for their customers.

You aren't going to convince a Fanboi that Turbine is anything other than the creator of their favorite game and that they should support Turbine as much as possible and try to convince others to keep playing the game to ensure that the game continues as long as possible.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 4:01am:
Did you read it pre-Cordoban?
It seems pretty sanitized now.

Yes, I read it pre-cut.  And as I said, it didn't seem all that bad.  If people were reporting posts they were doing it for very trivial reasons, or with an agenda.  And if it was with an agenda, they win.  Cordovan is a knee-jerk kinda guy.  You can tell that just from his closing post.  Who the fuck cares how many complaints there were, if most or all of them were about things which were not violations of the tos?  He can and should ignore a report if it the complaint doesn't address a violation, after all.  But no, he had to read the report, so he had to take action.  That is his mo.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:16am:
You aren't going to convince a Doomboi that Turbine is anything other than a piece of shit and that the game is shutting down because of their gross ineptitude and disrespect/disdain for their customers.

I'd like to think I'm open minded and capable of accepting and integrating information that conflicts with my current world view.

Based on what I've seen, Turbine is a piece of shit company that is ruining a game they bought because of their gross ineptitude, disrespect for past efforts, and contempt for their customers.

I also see that logins continue to decline; quality takes a back seat to everything; Jerry, the face of DDO!, is still Jerry; and Sev still thinks you cast Raise Dead on the soulstone.

What am I not seeing?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Overmind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:16am:

And how in the fucking hell is that not the truth?
Or was i living in a parallel dimension and just now entered yours where Turdbine is the best game company ever and DDO has 6 millions subs?
Maybe i just forgot to portforward my ports and send my tracerout to Cordofuck thats why my game LAGS TO SHIT.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:30am by Overmind »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:59am:
I'd like to think I'm open minded and capable of accepting and integrating information that conflicts with my current world view.

Based on what I've seen, Turbine is a piece of shit company that is ruining a game they bought because of their gross ineptitude, disrespect for past efforts, and contempt for their customers.

I also see that logins continue to decline; quality takes a back seat to everything; Jerry, the face of DDO!, is still Jerry; and Sev still thinks you cast Raise Dead on the soulstone.

What am I not seeing?

I'm not saying that everyone who has complaints about Turbine is a Doomboi.  Only the ones who can never acknowledge anything good or look at things from a rational prospective and weigh pros and cons. 

The same with Fanbois.  Loving the game or liking an update or feature doesn't make you a Fanboi.  If you can acknowledge flaws and mistakes and call Turbine out objectively when they err, then that's not being a Fanboi.

I agree with you that Turbine's design direction has been flawed.  I do not agree with their loot plan (or lack thereof) since MoTU.  I do not agree with their ED methodology.  E-TR and I-TR are a trainwreck.  Quest design has been uninspired in most cases and the methodology for scalling content and difficulty has been greatly flawed, culminating with Legendary content that is either a rofl-stomp with no deaths or a rofl-stomp with 1-shotting (which doesn't actually ever risk failure.  It just causes annoyance).  The LGS design was the latest in an example of a half-assed copy/paste design that misses the mark. 

Logins continue to decline because that is what happens to all games at 10 years.  Neverwinter is declining faster.  SWtOR is declining.  LotRO is declining.  Guild Wars 2 is declining.  Even WoW is declining.  Turbine is exacerbating that because of game design mistakes.  The best case scenario for a 10 year old game is treading water.  Gaining as much as it loses.  But that isn't happening here because of the mistakes that have disenfranchised the players.

I don't agree with "contempt for their customers".  I think that is more frustration talking.  Every business has a love/hate relationship with its customers to some degree, especially the ones with difficult personalities.  (And gamer populations tend to be filled with a lot of people with poor social skills).  But  to say that they have a systemic contempt that bleeds into their personal desire to do good work in their chosen profession and are actively sabotaging the product to spite the customers?  That's a bit of a leap and one that I think people go to just because they are so upset with the decisions and can't fathom the rationale to the point that it just feels personal.

As a career IT professional, the lack of a long term road map and vision has been the biggest issue for DDO and is appalling.  The game is like a building that keeps having rooms added on one at a time.  Each in a different architecture and style.  Such that the end result is a hodgepodge from the outside and from the inside you have floors that don't line up and ceilings at different heights and corridors that go to a dead end for no reason. 

A long term XP and reincarnation plan from 20-30 should have been mapped out in 2011.  And followed.  A long term loot plan should have been created for 20-30 and followed.  Both with enough flexibility to allow for creativity over time within the structure.  But that wasn't done. 

After a consistent loot structure from levels 1-13, things fell in to the pit of Green Steel from 13-19.(Notice how everything stopped incrementing after about level 13?  Stats, etc. stuck at +6)
Then the Epic items at 20 (Mod 9) (S/S/S system and +7's appear,)
Then U5 adds guild augments, crafting. 
Then the MoTU plan from 21-24. (Randomizing, BtCoE, Comms of Heroism, new affixes and suffixes) 
Then the GH plan from 24-26 (EN/EH/EE versions of gear.  BtCoE, Comms of Heroism, new augments, affix/suffix changed again and ghostbane happens). 
Then with U20 the dropping of the EN/EH/EE concept and comms of heroism eliminated for comms of valor.  And stats suddenly jump from +8 to +12 in 4 levels.  Loot power creep is rampant. 
Then with U29, LGS comes out (with no augments anymore.  A new augment slot that is completely different and ineffective) and new random loot that overpowers all existing loot from level 11-30. 

That's a mess.  But it doesn't show contempt for players.  Or even so much individual ineptitude by developers.  It shows organizational planning failure and inability to create and follow a vision.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Overmind wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:28am:
And how in the fucking hell is that not the truth?
Or was i living in a parallel dimension and just now entered yours where Turdbine is the best game company ever and DDO has 6 millions subs?
Maybe i just forgot to portforward my ports and send my tracerout to Cordofuck thats why my game LAGS TO SHIT.

The nice thing about being the Doomboi is that you will eventually be right.  The game IS going to end at some point.  Doombois have been announcing the end since 2008.  Prior to the datacenter move and lag 6 weeks ago, I'd have said the Doombois were still years and years off on their doom predictions.  Not that it would stop them from continuing to predict that the end is here now.

P.S.  DDO doesn't need 6 million subs to be successful.  By that bar, only 1 game in the history of MMO's has ever been a success.  And that game sucks balls in terms of fun, imo. 

P.P.S. Turbine isn't the best game company ever.  For RPG's, I'd go with BioWare and Black Isle Studios.  The infinity engine and the BG/IWD series rocks.  Keep in mind, that spawned the Aurora Engine used in Neverwinter Nights and the Odessey engine used in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:40am:
That's a mess.  But it doesn't show contempt for players.  Or even so much individual ineptitude by developers.  It shows organizational planning failure and inability to create and follow a vision. 

I completely agree here. It's not on the individual dev's to come up with a company-wide vision. If someone gives me the job of implementing new loot I'd be half afraid of getting canned if I just changed numbers on the old loot. Would that be the right answer? Often, yes it would be. But there's a big risk there as a dev that you'd be viewed as lazy. A roadmap for how they wanted the loot to operate (or quests, or enhancements, or ETR's, etc) would allow dev's to develop content within a set of rules created ahead of time. Without it you're asking too much of any individual dev, especially when multiple people work on the same projects without a map.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:55am:
I completely agree here. It's not on the individual dev's to come up with a company-wide vision. If someone gives me the job of implementing new loot I'd be half afraid of getting canned if I just changed numbers on the old loot. Would that be the right answer? Often, yes it would be. But there's a big risk there as a dev that you'd be viewed as lazy. A roadmap for how they wanted the loot to operate (or quests, or enhancements, or ETR's, etc) would allow dev's to develop content within a set of rules created ahead of time. Without it you're asking too much of any individual dev, especially when multiple people work on the same projects without a map.

In a thread recently someone linked to an article on DDO.com about Study In Sable.  The quest was designed by Knockback.  But the map was done by another developer.  The art department did two new skins for it.  Then another developer did changes to the vampires.  In the course of the article 4-5 different people were involved in that one stand alone quest.  (And those were just the ones that were mentioned in the article).  There are way too many moving parts in even a single quest, let alone a quest pack, let alone a multi-update saga.  And that doesn't even cover loot, systems, classes, races, etc. 

That product management role that ensures consistency and vision is crucial.

IP Logged

Overmind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:50am:
The nice thing about being the Doomboi is that you will eventually be right.  The game IS going to end at some point.  Doombois have been announcing the end since 2008.  Prior to the datacenter move and lag 6 weeks ago, I'd have said the Doombois were still years and years off on their doom predictions.  Not that it would stop them from continuing to predict that the end is here now.

P.S.  DDO doesn't need 6 million subs to be successful.  By that bar, only 1 game in the history of MMO's has ever been a success.  And that game sucks balls in terms of fun, imo. 

P.P.S. Turbine isn't the best game company ever.  For RPG's, I'd go with BioWare and Black Isle Studios.  The infinity engine and the BG/IWD series rocks.  Keep in mind, that spawned the Aurora Engine used in Neverwinter Nights and the Odessey engine used in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

"Battered woman syndrome (BWS) is a mental disorder that develops in victims of domestic violence as a result of serious, long-term abuse."

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
The game is like a building that keeps having rooms added on one at a time.  Each in a different architecture and style.  Such that the end result is a hodgepodge from the outside and from the inside you have floors that don't line up and ceilings at different heights and corridors that go to a dead end for no reason.  

So you're saying that ...... Sarah Winchester controls DDO development then?  Cool

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Whenever I see anything on the vault with Mc-whatever in the title, I automatically think the thread is about Marty.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #19 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Overmind wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:58pm:
"Battered woman syndrome (BWS) is a mental disorder that develops in victims of domestic violence as a result of serious, long-term abuse."

Why bring your mom into this?  Cheesy

Seriously, though.  One of the ways you can tell you have crossed from disgruntled but rational fan into Doomboi is when you start equating your video game experience to an abusive relationship.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:03pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
I don't agree with "contempt for their customers".  I think that is more frustration talking. 

Every business has a love/hate relationship with its customers to some degree, especially the ones with difficult personalities.  (And gamer populations tend to be filled with a lot of people with poor social skills). 

But  to say that they have a systemic contempt that bleeds into their personal desire to do good work in their chosen profession and are actively sabotaging the product to spite the customers? 

From here, it looks as though DDO's customers are seen by DDO's employees at best as a nuisance, but I don't think "contempt" is as far from the mark as you do.

Contempt:  the feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.

I believe they do have a culture of contempt for their customers.  This doesn't manifest as "active sabotage", but passive sabotage and dismissing suggestions of IT industry best practices as "inapplicable because we're different.  tut tut, player.  You just don't understand" is still contemptuous.

Were it otherwise, things like showhelmet /on|off would not still be broken.  The preview server would be running on a copy of the live environment to reduce the number of bugs that appear because of this difference.  They would not sneak last minute changes into update releases that haven't previously been deployed to preview.  Systems would get finished.  FUCKING VERSION CONTROL WOULD BE A THING.

This culture of "the customers are beneath consideration" is further evidenced by the way Jerry releases news to gaming news websites before his own forum and the way he still hasn't learned to prepare for the quests he will run during his streaming events.  The way Jerry and Glin referred to the Wayfinder Market bridge protest in their DDOCast was also pretty revealing.

DDO has shown that they hold worthless the previous in-game efforts of their customers as well as the efforts of past employees.  Raid loot from the previous pack is casually eclipsed by the next pack's lootgen.  Class Passes blow up character builds so frequently that frequent players have become desensitized to it and infrequent players don't bother to invest effort into their characters.  Old systems are ignored when new systems are deployed, and if the old system is broken by a new system, the old one is left to languish until it's forgotten.

If you need an example of "scorn", try "Burden of Guilt", last year's Mabar, or the tenth anniversary event loot. 

These examples are not outliers.  They are Business as Usual for Turbine.

That's a bit of a leap and one that I think people go to just because they are so upset with the decisions and can't fathom the rationale to the point that it just feels personal.

The solutions to most of DDO's problems are well documented and evident to most people who look at the environment from the outside.  Turbine chooses to ignore them.

I'm not under the impression that DDO chooses to continue to suck because they want to irritate me personally, but it does sicken me to see them continue thumb their nose at practices that would make things much less bad.

I started my IT career in '91.  As an IT professional, what Turbine does embarrasses me because their actions are intentional and they take no ownership of outcomes that are results of their choices.  I'm nauseated by the smug dismissiveness with which they brush off the value of Quality Control, version control, community relations, and on and on.

They have made clear that the rationale behind their choices is that they are the experts, their decisions are based on information that we as customers aren't capable of understanding, and they're frequently baffled by our reaction.

You're right that for me, there's a fair amount of frustration talking.  It's remarkably similar to the frustration I feel when trying to teach a 2 year old to use the commode rather than defecate in his pants, having said 2 year old resolutely REFUSE to use the commode, load his pants, then smirk when I display exasperation.

Frustration or not, "Contempt" is probably a milder than appropriate adjective.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 3:17pm:

From here, it looks as though DDO's customers are seen by DDO's employees at best as a nuisance, but I don't think "contempt" is as far from the mark as you do.

Contempt:  the feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.

I believe they do have a culture of contempt for their customers.  This doesn't manifest as "active sabotage", but passive sabotage and dismissing suggestions of IT industry best practices as "inapplicable because we're different.  tut tut, player.  You just don't understand" is still contemptuous.

Were it otherwise, things like showhelmet /on|off would not still be broken.  The preview server would be running on a copy of the live environment to reduce the number of bugs that appear because of this difference.  They would not sneak last minute changes into update releases that haven't previously been deployed to preview.  Systems would get finished.  FUCKING VERSION CONTROL WOULD BE A THING.

This culture of "the customers are beneath consideration" is further evidenced by the way Jerry releases news to gaming news websites before his own forum and the way he still hasn't learned to prepare for the quests he will run during his streaming events.  The way Jerry and Glin referred to the Wayfinder Market bridge protest in their DDOCast was also pretty revealing.

DDO has shown that they hold worthless the previous in-game efforts of their customers as well as the efforts of past employees.  Raid loot from the previous pack is casually eclipsed by the next pack's lootgen.  Class Passes blow up character builds so frequently that frequent players have become desensitized to it and infrequent players don't bother to invest effort into their characters.  Old systems are ignored when new systems are deployed, and if the old system is broken by a new system, the old one is left to languish until it's forgotten.

If you need an example of "scorn", try "Burden of Guilt", last year's Mabar, or the tenth anniversary event loot. 

The solutions to most of DDO's problems are well documented and evident to most people who look at the environment from the outside.  Turbine chooses to ignore them.

I'm not under the impression that DDO chooses to continue to suck because they want to irritate me personally, but it does sicken me to see them continue thumb their nose at practices that would make things much less bad.

I started my IT career in '91.  As an IT professional, what Turbine does embarrasses me because their actions are intentional and they take no ownership of outcomes that are results of their choices.  I'm nauseated by the smug dismissiveness with which they brush off the value of Quality Control, version control, community relations, and on and on.

They have made clear that the rationale behind their choices is that they are the experts, their decisions are based on information that we as customers aren't capable of understanding, and they're frequently baffled by our reaction.

You're right that for me, there's a fair amount of frustration talking.  It's remarkably similar to the frustration I feel when trying to teach a 2 year old to use the commode rather than defecate in his pants, having said 2 year old resolutely REFUSE to use the commode, load his pants, then smirk when I display exasperation.

QFFT

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 5:12pm
Print Post  

In looking at the above definition, I'd agree that Turbine is often inconsiderate of their customers.  Whether in the form of poor communication/lack of communication or in the form of changes that are poorly thought out. 

I think where we differ in the definition above is the attribution of that lack of consideration to them thinking customers are worthless or deserving scorn. 

I'd argue it is more due to ineptness of individuals and organizational chaos and lack of structure. 

A lot of the things you, rightly, take exception to are institutional failures that don't pass an ITIL best practices check.  Those are management and process issues.  Turbine doesn't necessarily need better programmers.  They need a better CIO/Software Development manager who understands how to implement an SDLC system to ensure quality. 

I don't have much experience with video game industry programming, but the stuff they do wouldn't fly in any of the corporate information systems operations I've been in in banking, finance, accounting, sales force automation, and CRM.  It feels like the video game industry values creativity and innovation in development over process and structure.  And I get that video game development requires more of that than other vertical markets, like say banking.  But that doesn't mean you can completely ignore IT best practices.

But again, all of that speaks to ineptness.  Not contempt.  At least to my perception.  YMMV.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Oh my god you are such a reductionist shill Ash. On the bright side you were before you joined the PC as well, so it's not like you have become worse. Fucking idiot.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #24 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 9:46pm
Print Post  

Don't really read a lot of "walls of text" on the vault and agree with 99ish% of the ENTIRE fucking wall.  Thanks for taking the time/effort to express what you feel OldCoaly!

I feel very much the same way.

/signed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint