Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Lamma coming this week (Read 22558 times)
Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Re: Lamma coming this week
Reply #50 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:58am:
But logic and reality isn't a place Novalis, or other morons like IronClan on the MoBo's, like to visit.  They also suffer from confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.  They decide to ignore anything that doesn't support their current beliefs. 
that is passed off as shill comments or more minimizing and reductionist rhetoric by the devs, Cordovan and his Brony posse

FTFY FUCKFACE

He has an almost pathological need to validate his decision to leave the game two months ago by convincing others (and thus himself) that the game sucks and is on the verge of collapse.  Most people would just find something else to do.  Especially after two months.  But Novalis is a special kind of deranged. (No offense, Durk.)    Grin

Making comments like most people would find something else is really telling. I guess you would fault returning players who have invested years and hundreds if not 1000's of $$ just to see if their hobby and friends are something to come back to if that's your argument.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #51 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 10:00am:
I can't see how renewing a license for a game based on rules 2 versions behind would hurt Hasbro, so I doubt they pulled the plug, but your statement that moving would be costly contradicts your earlier speculation that WB gave them the space. You can't get much cheaper than free  Grin

There's still a cost involved in moving the servers... Even if they were given the hardware and datacenter space for free, there's the time spent by the on site guys getting the servers configured ( badly ) and somewhat ready for the onslaught of players, as well as the dubious cost of preparing the installs said guys rolled out on the servers. There's the connectivity cost ( adding pseudowires and stiff has a a cost ), and a few more thing...

Overall, even with Free rent and hardware the cost to move something like DDO ( based on what I know of the front end and the back end infrastructure of the game ) is more important than the cost of the 4/5 rack cabinets and the connectivity for 3 months at a datacenter.

Especially when you add the GLS server move and the Web server move to the heap.

It's also a KISS principle : you know the thing is going to be dead in 3 months, why should you bother doing something that will get you some bad image ( you know it's going to be that way since it occured for AC and LoTRO before ), and cost you more money ?

As other said : the game is based on an out of print edition... Why should Hasbro bother killing it as long as they get their share of the revenues each year.

They might consider killing it when the Dungeon and Dragon Movie comes out and if they have something else to put in it's place ( Neverwinter is NOT that something else, and would be killed at the same time ). But Hasbro is not Saul Zaentz ( aka Middle Earth Enterprise ) and they are probably not going to bother, as long as money comes in.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:24am:
I am not convinced that Turbine keeps track of when anything expires.  Therefore, for me it is plausible that the datacenter move was executed without consideration of the life expectancy of the license.

I tend to agree.  For companies which budget instead of just throwing money at things it is very possible to see new servers purchased and a new data center contract put into place long before the question of license renewal becomes an issue.

Of course, this assumes that Turbine operates on a budget as a mature company would.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #53 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
It's not an exclusive license anymore, so there is no incentive to either side not renewing. Turbine stays in business, Hasbro gets a cut for free.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #54 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 10:54am:
Most old players knew abut the license debacle back in 2009 when Atari ...

Maybe I didn't ask clearly? How would DDO have to stop if they lost the license? Is there some kind of MMO police that's gonna pull them over and impound the engine?

I'm not in the argument over when. I'm in the argument that goes "Well, do we know what happens if the license isn't renewed?"

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #55 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:10pm:
Maybe I didn't ask clearly? How would DDO have to stop if they lost the license? Is there some kind of MMO police that's gonna pull them over and impound the engine?

I'm not in the argument over when. I'm in the argument that goes "Well, do we know what happens if the license isn't renewed?"

Ohhh, maybe they'd have to stop making changes? That would be awesome! Kinda crappy place to be stuck right now, but the trend has been solid down for years, the sooner they stop the less damage done.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:33am
Print Post  

In the hypothetical where Atari still owned the license and refused to renew Turbine's contract to use it, there would be a sort of MMO police in the form of a probable court order to cease and desist violating Atari's IP.

People seem to think that Habachi has the license these days, and I'm not in any position to argue with them.  If that is correct then Turbine has no real fears since it's all one big happy family.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but

Reply #57 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:58am
Print Post  

You gotta look at it form a players point of view. With the blatant lack of communication from anyone at Turbine in the last 2 months let alone the last 5 months about basic home game issues, the suspicions of their tight lipped and nebulous lack of acknowledgement about the licensing issue has only made it a deeper issue. The supposition they're under a legal gag order because of the legal ramifications is substantial but is as loose as Shoemaker's sphincter. It's really just a more substantial target for whack a mole when it comes to the reasoning of why DDO is going down the toilet swirling.

How such a wonderful game with amazing people in the player community like DDO could fall so hard so quickly because of a short handful of individuals that have been with Turbine for such a short time is beyond any logical comprehension. People like my self are struggling to make sense that it takes such wastes of human life like Cordovan, SteelStar, Vargoulle and Severlin that had an opportunity to take such a powerful gift as DDO and it's loyal and bright player base and turn it into the steaming pile of shit it is now is beyond all logic and the stuff of twisted horror novels. The deadline of the licensing and the timing of everything just seemed to be a logical rallying point that many have asked for clarification and just like many other issues, we've gotten nothing. It's all shit. The updates, the promises, the hopes, the future of DDO, just like the people currently running it, it's all shit.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:59am by Novalis »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #58 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:58am:
How such a wonderful game with amazing people in the player community like DDO could fall so hard so quickly because of a short handful of individuals that have been with Turbine for such a short time is beyond any logical comprehension. People like my self are struggling to make sense that it takes such wastes of human life like Cordovan, SteelStar, Vargoulle and Severlin that had an opportunity to take such a powerful gift as DDO and it's loyal and bright player base and turn it into the steaming pile of shit it is now is beyond all logic and the stuff of twisted horror novels. The deadline of the licensing and the timing of everything just seemed to be a logical rallying point that many have asked for clarification and just like many other issues, we've gotten nothing. It's all shit. The updates, the promises, the hopes, the future of DDO, just like the people currently running it, it's all shit.

This is true, but if you want to make a change you'll need to go to Needham and convince Sev and his boss in person.

Be prepared to demonstrate that you're more expert than they are (that seems to be how their hierarchy works).  Practice up on your PacMan LARP and show them that you don't give a fuck about any of their work if you want to be accepted as part of their culture.

Good luck with the rallying point!

I'll meet you in the parking lot.  I'm driving a black Civic and I'll be wearing a black DDO hoodie.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #59 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:20pm:
Ohhh, maybe they'd have to stop making changes? That would be awesome! Kinda crappy place to be stuck right now, but the trend has been solid down for years, the sooner they stop the less damage done.

That would be truly awesome. Sadly, I'm not even sure they'd have to stop changing shit. What if all it means is they can't add anything new? They could keep coming up with shitastic kill mobs -> open door -> repeat -> ???? -> profit! quests forever, but they can't add new monsters, FR or Eberron places, races, or classes.

(Then they bloody well lost the license years ago, didn't they?)

Novalis wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:58am:
You gotta look at it form a players point of view.

I get it. You don't know shit about licensing. You don't know how it works, or even who owns what.

That's where you lost me. Your rant makes much more sense when you stop talking as if you know something about licensing.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but

Reply #60 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:42pm:
That would be truly awesome. Sadly, I'm not even sure they'd have to stop changing shit. What if all it means is they can't add anything new? They could keep coming up with shitastic kill mobs -> open door -> repeat -> ???? -> profit! quests forever, but they can't add new monsters, FR or Eberron places, races, or classes.

(Then they bloody well lost the license years ago, didn't they?)

I get it. You don't know shit about licensing. You don't know how it works, or even who owns what.

That's where you lost me. Your rant makes much more sense when you stop talking as if you know something about licensing.

Seriously, I know about licensing. But how can anyone make head or tails of anything that's come out of WB/Turbine in the last year with their preferred way of dispensing PR? We can't even get an acknowledgement on lag or a goddamn producers letter longer than 5 sentences.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #61 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:28pm:
Seriously, I know about licensing.

Then you're just refusing to tell me what Turbine would/would not be able to do without a license? Why? Is it because I didn't say "please"?

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - May 1st, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 5:30pm:
It's not an exclusive license anymore, so there is no incentive to either side not renewing. Turbine stays in business, Hasbro gets a cut for free.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuup,

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - May 1st, 2016 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:54am:
You don't want to group with me, that's fine. 

Sometimes I don't have a choice Shill, you are either already in the raid or one of your guildies brings you along.  I've even let you join my raids when I was blind LFM'ing for warm bodies, and to be honest even in those cases you're not much worse than the noobs that I have had to carry. 

Point? small server population means that many of us have to play with fuck-wits like yourself, no matter how much of a shill you are. The difference is that we know what to expect when encumbered with a socially retarded spaz like yourself, whereas you have fooled yourself that everyone likes and respects you because you're not hearing the vent-chat about you that you are not included in.

As to you never duping LGS? you and I know that isn't true Shill, not by a long shot  Wink

P.S. before you waste your time trying to assert that you're a great guy everyone loves, and that you don't care about what I say..... Remember that you were the one that had the hard-on to find out who I was in game because you were butthurt about me calling you a shill and fuckwit here on the vault. Secrets out, you do care and you care enough to try and find toon names on Kyber to settle scores PC punk.

Have a great day!
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2016 at 7:11pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #64 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 7:07pm:
Sometimes I don't have a choice Shill, you are either already in the raid or one of your guildies brings you along.  I've even let you join my raids when I was blind LFM'ing for warm bodies, and to be honest even in those cases you're not much worse than the noobs that I have had to carry. 

Point? small server population means that many of us have to play with fuck-wits like yourself, no matter how much of a shill you are. The difference is that we know what to expect when encumbered with a socially retarded spaz like yourself, whereas you have fooled yourself that everyone likes and respects you because you're not hearing the vent-chat about you that you are not included in.

As to you never duping LGS? you and I know that isn't true Shill, not by a long shot  Wink

P.S. before you waste your time trying to assert that you're a great guy everyone loves, and that you don't care about what I say..... Remember that you were the one that had the hard-on to find out who I was in game because you were butthurt about me calling you a shill and fuckwit here on the vault. Secrets out, you do care and you care enough to try and find toon names on Kyber to settle scores PC punk.

Have a great day!

coward.  pussy.  dumbass.  And now we can add elitist douchebag. 
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2016 at 10:07am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #65 - May 2nd, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 9:20pm:
Then you're just refusing to tell me what Turbine would/would not be able to do without a license? Why? Is it because I didn't say "please"?

This came up a few years ago.  If the agreement is terminated Turbine will no longer be able to 'utilize' the IP.  This includes both production of new material based on the IP, or continued use and display of the IP.

As stated and ignored, the agreement ends this month.  You can bet your ass they have had an extension already as the paperwork would typically take over 2 weeks with lawyers.  If they didn't renew, they would not be spending development money on new content that they are pushing to Lama etc.

As mentioned by someone else, at this point with competing projects, there is no reason WotC would not renew the agreement and continue to take in revenue based on an old system.  The 4E days where they tried nailing the coffin on previous systems is gone since the return to the roots in 5E.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/08/26/Atari.pdf

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 8:37pm:
coward.  pussy.  dumbass.  And now we can add elitist douchebag. 

Temper, temper...  Grin

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #67 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 2:32pm:
Temper, temper...  Grin

Meh.  Your KNN is showing.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - May 2nd, 2016 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 2:47pm:
Meh.  Your KNN is showing.   Cheesy 

This from the gal who's been screaming 'coward, pussy,!' for half a dozen posts because I wouldn't give her my toon names. Weak, so weak.

On the bright side, it's been a treat for the rest of us to see you drop your 'reasonable poster' charade because of this temper tantrum.

Now run along, daddy has real posters to deal with.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #69 - May 3rd, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 3:13pm:
This from the gal who's been screaming 'coward, pussy,!' for half a dozen posts because I wouldn't give her my toon names. Weak, so weak.

On the bright side, it's been a treat for the rest of us to see you drop your 'reasonable poster' charade because of this temper tantrum.

Now run along, daddy has real posters to deal with.

EDIT:  I'm kinda done with the back and forth on this topic.  You don't like me.  I don't like you.  There really isn't much else to say that hasn't been covered.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2016 at 10:00am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #70 - May 3rd, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Durk wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 10:06am:
continued use and display of the IP.

I gotta say that part shocks the hell out of me. I'd expect it from a corp. keeping a close watch over what goes on "display". Instead, Turbine's openly using the IP as a cesspool.

The last time I heard about any input from WTC was when they insisted on no gates, ships, or planescallers teleporting anyone between Eberron & FR.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - May 3rd, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 9:52am:
EDIT:  I'm kinda done with the back and forth on this topic.  You don't like me.  I don't like you.  There really isn't much else to say that hasn't been covered. 

Oh poor boo-boo finally got the point!

Hey you missed a part of your equation:

Asheras wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 9:52am:
You don't like me.  I don't like you.  In fact I don't like you so much that I tried to get your toon names so I could pay you out in game. You saw what I was up to and said no. Being denied made me crazy and exposed what a thin skinned PC shill I am.   
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #72 - May 3rd, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 11:53am:
I gotta say that part shocks the hell out of me. I'd expect it from a corp. keeping a close watch over what goes on "display". Instead, Turbine's openly using the IP as a cesspool.

The last time I heard about any input from WTC was when they insisted on no gates, ships, or planescallers teleporting anyone between Eberron & FR.

You may be surprised to find out that every update worth of content, and lore is passed by WotC for approval, and in quite a few spots they have had to amend things.

We tend to only hear what WotC rejects, not that they are privy to all of it.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - May 3rd, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 11:53am:

If you heard that was a requirement of WTC, then they were ignored.  Because I can take a gate from Eveningstar Caverns to my Ebberon Airship anytime I like.  I can also summon my airship to the Forgotten Realms using an airship beacon.  And I can teleport from FR to Eberron, or word of recall.

You can walk into FR from Eberron, but you cannot just walk into Mordor Eberron from FR.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #74 - May 3rd, 2016 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 9:05pm:
If you heard that was a requirement of WTC, then they were ignored.  Because I can take a gate from Eveningstar Caverns to my Ebberon Airship anytime I like.  I can also summon my airship to the Forgotten Realms using an airship beacon.  And I can teleport from FR to Eberron, or word of recall.

You can walk into FR from Eberron, but you cannot just walk into Mordor Eberron from FR.

Airship beacons, teleport, and word of recall all existed pre-MoTU.  The only MoTU way to move between Ebberon and FR is through the eveningstar cavern/spinners prison or by the hall of heroes on login.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint